Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2010

I've been on A for 16 months and the flashes are minimal.  I also find that when I indulge in sweets I seem to have them more often.  Haven't thought to blame any on the wine however - wonder why!!!  My flashes, if I get one, usually only lasts a minute or two.

So cheers, give it some more time because we have heard reports of SE's getting either less, more manageable or disappearing altogether.  Yes, we have also heard some get worse so you will have to determine for yourself what and for how long you can tolerate any particular SE. 

• cheers247
    cheers247 Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2010

Thanks ladies for the hotflash info!  I find that I get them more at night.   I don't drink alcohol or caffine, but I'll have to pay attention to the sweets and see if that triggers them.  I'll stick with it, but hopefully they will lessen over time.  Thanks so much!  Jessica

www.caringbridge.org/visit/jessicam

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited July 2010

I counted as many as 15 hotflashes a day ..they were exhausting ! after about a year and a half they really subsided considerably..I had to go on another BP med because that was a SE I had on arimidex,,,the med was toprol...kinda coincidental to be given that and soon after they started to ease... I could not even sit  with laptop without having them. I still get them at nite near full moon but that is about it,,RIght now it is 80 degrees have laptop ,,yeh on my lap ha! and have had none...I used Walmart handheld fan,,,I had them in many rooms in ny house ,,,I really feel I can attest to the fact that they can lessen,,,hope so for you too cheers!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited July 2010

I HAVE A MONTHS SUPPLY OF ARIMIDEX UNOPENED.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO WITH IT????IF SO PLEASE SEND ME A PM..

• patoo
    edited July 2010

granny - hopefully one of our sisters here can use them. 

Xray on thumb came back negative for arthritis so I guess another A SE has entered.  <  sigh  >  Been splinting it for a month without it getting bettter.  Will give it another couple of weeks before I talk to an ortho doc.

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited July 2010

Ladies for those of you who are scared of the generics.  I spoke to my Oncologist's nurse today and asked her if my Onc felt the generics were safe and did he feel I should avoid certain companies which were approved (I purchased the TEVA).  She said they felt ALL of the generics were safe and I should choose whichever company I wanted.  I researched every approved company and decided I did not want the Accord brand even though that is the brand most of my local pharmacies are buying.  It is also more expensive.  I spoke to the Medical department at TEVA this morning and asked them a lot of questions to ease my mine about their quality.  I decided these companies need to give us the best medication they can for the money because they want to stay in business and be successful.  They have nothing to gain by doing anything else.  SO I will use whatever generic I have to, hopefully it can stay TEVA.  I also called the FDA and was told they do other reviews on these companies to make sure they keep the generics the same quality that they are supposed to when they got approved. 

BTW, you may find it cheaper to call pharmacies and ask for the "cash" price if you have an expensive copay or deductible.  I got my TEVA for $46.46 and another poster only paid about $29.00 for hers at Costco in her state.  This was for a 90 day supply for both of us.  I am in the donut hole so I had to pay cash.  If you have concerns about the generic companies, it might help you to go to their websites and read about them like I did.  

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2010

I totally understand the fears of using a generic. . . this is about generic tamoxifen having different side effects than the name brand.  Read this:

The Use of Nolvadex in the Treatment of Generic Tamoxifen-Associated Small Joint Arthralgia Breast. 2010 Jun 1;19(3):243-245, NS Blencowe, C Reichl, J Gahir, I PatersonABSTRACTIn this study, generic formulations of tamoxifen were associated with arthralgia. Changing from generic formulations to Nolvadex alleviated this symptom.Introduction: Small joint arthralgia has been anecdotally reported for many years by women taking generic Tamoxifen (gT). However, it is a symptom that is absent from the side effect profile of the original Tamoxifen preparation Nolvadex. Our aim was to determine the prevalence of arthralgia in Tamoxifen users and to investigate whether it was associated with the excipient profile of the newer, generic formulations of Tamoxifen. Methods: Women diagnosed with oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer between 2001 and 2005 were eligible. Those with new-onset arthralgia following commencement of gT were entered into a one year double crossover study. Patients were swapped from gT to Nolvadex for 6 months, the response noted, and then swapped back to gT for 6 months.Results: Of 1020 new breast cancer patients, 918 (90%) were oestrogen receptor (OR) positive and were started on gT as part of their treatment. Of those, a total of 121 (13.2%) suffered with arthralgia. All 121 patients agreed to enter the study and swap treatment to Nolvadex for 6 months 114 patients (94.2%) had resolution of their arthralgia whilst on Nolvadex (p < 0.05).Conclusion: Our findings suggest that there is an arthralgia syndrome which is prevalent in women taking generic Tamoxifen preparations. Symptoms are abolished when Nolvadex is used instead of gT. This suggests that the excipient profiles are an important factor. We hypothesise that either the excipient profile of gT induces arthralgia, or an unknown excipient of Nolvadex has a protective effect.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2010

In regards to SE of arimidex.... does anyone have this one....the small of my back hurts, when I get out of the car, bend over, get out of bed, getting up from sitting in a chair...etc.  does anyone else have this symptom.  I am actually seeing my oncologist on Monday and will also mention it to him.  You know where my mind is going!  This SE is the most bothersome to me because I like to workout and it is always hurting.  Have a great day everyone!

positively,

Balsie 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited July 2010

I feel achy whenever I sit too long;  long car rides, on bleachers, when I get up in the morning. It is definitely an incentive to keep moving............

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited July 2010

Balsie,

I can identify with the symptom you describe, I even wake at night from the pain when I roll over.  Once I even missed a day of work and went to the walk-in (gimp-in) clinic.  the doc took xrays and only saw some arthritic changes.  Do be sure to mention it to your onc.

gentle hugs..

• balsie
    edited July 2010

Thanks "A" team~  I will mention it to the Dr.  I just can't believe how much it hurts , it just is the intense pain .  Suzie I have been woken up by this too..... Oh that pill drives me crazy!

night all

Balsie 

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010

Balsie, my checkup is Monday also. We can be freaking out together all weekend long............

• balsie
    edited July 2010

I hear you Ruth....I hope yours goes well!  I also have to have my zometa infusion that day and the last time it made me feel like I had the flu for two days.  I hope that doesn't happen this time.  We will have to check in with each other Monday night.  I will say one thing my onc. better give me a standing ovation for working out all the time.  He warned me that some peolple gain weight on the "A"  I told him "well not me"  and I have worked very hard not to gain any.  

WinkBalsie 

• Medigal
    edited July 2010

Aussie,  I never heard or read anything about our having a 30% deal with Arimidex.  Since I have ER+ BC and the Arimidex is supposed to keep my estrogen levels down then I figure it gives me the protection I need.  I am now on my 2nd five years of it as of this January.  I found that the side effects were worse in the first two years and then even the so called "hot flashes" calmed down the longer I was on it.  I can't blame my joint pains on Arimidex because I have always had arthritis and back pains from a past spinal fusion.  My worse problem is my emotions. I have to laugh because when my Onc gave me my first RX for Arimidex he gave me an RX for an anti-depressant with it.  I felt very insulted and wondered why he thought I needed an antidepressent  and I tore it up.  Ha!  He probably knew depression is a SE of Arimidex! 

I have managed to handle my life and responsibilities inspite of any SEs from Arimidex because I keep telling myself how thankful I am that I have a med which just may be keeping me alive for longer to take care of my family.  I am just hoping I can get some feedback from others who have been on it for longer than 5 years to find out how they coped and if the side effects get worse.  So far, I have been doing ok coping. Maybe my depression will end now that it has become generic and I don't have to keep ending up in the Medicare donut hole paying a fortune for it!Smile Next time I see my Onc, I may ask him about the 30% theory but I'll still take whatever will give me more time.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2010

weety, I saw that tamoxifen paper, too, and it sure got my attention.  I hope they figure out what it is about the generic tamoxifen that's causing the joint pain they are not seeing with the brand-name product.  FWIW, I don't think you can even buy brand-name tamoxifen (Nolvadex) here in the U.S. anymore.

I really hadn't been worrying much about the possibility that generic Arimidex ( = anastrozole) could cause SE's that we don't have with the brand-name version.  There are enough SE's associated with the brand-name verison already!

otter

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2010

Medigal, my very best wishes for your good health in the next 5 and every 5 after that.  We are indeed fortunate that there is such a medication and I hope and pray for a cure very soon.  Good luck Balsie and Ruth at your appointments.  Lovin' life today...had 2nd mx yesterday and a brave new world emerges.  Have a spectacular weekend everyone!!!

(typo edited)

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited July 2010

Good morning everyone. Saga of my hand continues........As I had mentioned in previous posts, I was heading to Orthopedic surgeon to see what he thought of my hand problems due to A.Dr. took x-rays of my hands. It is not carpel tunnell. It is soft tissue with tendonitis problems with some arthritis. He gave me exercises to do, bending hand left and then the other way, particularly after meals. 3 or 4 advil a day. Also, in a.m. when I get up take a hot wet cloth and squeeze it. At least I know it is not carpel tunnell. I explained to him I had been on Arimidex for a few months and some pain had subsided in the 3 weeks I had been off. He said get back on it. I am now waiting for Onc's office to call me. My appointment with him is 7-21.

He explained that carpel tunnell is tingling in the top of your fingers. I have shooting pains all over but not tingling in top of fingers.

Hugs,

• lisa34lisa
    lisa34lisa Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2010

Well, Sunflowers....

I just called your Costco.  :)  I was going to mail them my RX from Tennessee and have them ship it to me for that price! 

I think you got lucky.  $62.90 for a 90 days supply was the best they could do.  TEVA.  Sounds like you got 3 months for the price of one!  Goody, goody for you!  But, ya know what?  Using my insurance, I can get one month for $50 at a local pharmacy.  If I send in my RX for a 30 days supply, it will cost me $100.  Something just seems not right about that.  :)    Costco's cash price still beats it!

• lisa34lisa
    lisa34lisa Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2010

Ok.  Just got back from one of the local "good -ole- boy" pharmacies. 

$17 for a months supply.

Walgreens is charging $369.00 for 30.   Yes.  That is for the generic.  I was so shocked!  They are screwing insurance companies BIG TIME.  At what point does it turn from unethical to illegal, I wonder?

Anyone that is without insurance, or needs to be careful not to hit the donut hole....check with your local pharmacies first.  :)

• Medigal
    edited July 2010

Ok.  I have had enough of these pharmacies STILL trying to rip us off even with the GENERIC!  If I am able to, this coming week, between my doctor visits, I intend on calling ALL the corporate offices of any of the pharmacies I can find from the internet and let them know I will NOT be purchasing ANY drugs and as little of anything else from their pharmacies since they are having no mercy on woman who are trying to survive cancer!  Maybe if they know we are angry and we can find our Anastrozole at other pharmacies for cheaper prices, they will do something to bring down their prices to stay in the game.  I think they stupidly believe we have to pay gold to them because all the other pharmacies are charging high too.  If they find out we have other sources they just might call off the money dogs on us and start ordering the generic from the places like Sandoz and Teva which are cheaper.  They wanted a battle and now they are going to get one as far as I am concerned.  I already have sheets with all the pharmacies in my area and what they are charging.  The greedy ones will be hearing from me!

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited July 2010

Hi ladies, just back from two weeks in DC. I still have about 5 more pages to read to catch up but so far, it looks like you've all been doing well. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents on 2 subjects before I forget:

Re: Sources of Protien - I've been using a great drink called Isopure for several weeks now. It comes in 20oz bottles, has 40gram of whey protein, 0 carbs, 0 Sugars and only 160 calories, best of all the flavors are fantastic - Alpind Punch, Apple Melon (my favorite) Mango something and several others. The only drawback is it's $2.50 a bottle; a dollar more in the DC area. http:/www.theisopurecompany.com/ .

Also a friend of mine swears by Whey protein shots http:/www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=221305&catid=176796&aid=337953&aparam=body_fortress_super_whey&CAWELAID=364457496

Re: low vitamin D. I know that PJ12345 and Jo-5 were discussing low vitamin D levels. I think I may have posted this before but, low vitamin D levels even after supplementation may be due to

(1) Reduced absorption: Malabsorption can deprive the body of dietary vitamin D; only a small amount of 25(OH)D is recirculated enterohepatically.

(2) Abnormal metabolism: Your body absorbs the D but can't metabolize it. Vitamin D deficiency may result from defects in the production of 25(OH)D or 1,25(OH)2D.

(3) Resistance to effects of vitamin D: i.e. due to mutations in the 1,25(OH)2D receptor, here 1,25(OH)2D is abundant but ineffective because the receptor is not functional.

The article is complicated but fascinating:   http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004k.html

It appears that the solution varies depending upon the cause.

Edited to add: Oh wow ! Arimidex has gone Generic ??!!!?? Boy, the things one misses by skipping just a couple of weeks here. Love that the price will go down; kindof feel funny about the risks, even though logically, I know the active ingredient is no different. I clearly have some research to do !

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075
    edited July 2010

Generic News...  DH and I are on an extended rv trip and are presently in MN, near Rochester.  Went to the local Walmart with a 3 mo. prescription for Arimidex.  When I picked it up, the charge was $30.  Was expecting to pay $105 (3 x $35, copay for premium drugs).  Questioned the Walmart employee, and the pharmacist explained that there was now a generic available.  The pills are small and white and look similar to the others.  Also got a refill on my 75 mg. Fosamax and only paid $30 for 3 mos. because it's out in generic now.  So a nice savings on both those prescriptions!

My wrist ache is better and now I'm having pain in my back down toward the hip joint.  Am convinced that these body ailments are A related.  It could be worse.  And may get worse!!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited July 2010

Would you believe that my CVS does not have generic yet. Even though I order through RX home delivery through my insurance company, I was curious as to what they charged.

They did not have it.

I am still off A until the 21st, so of course I have plentry of old stuff left.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited July 2010

Ok Ladies, according to NIH there are 16 generics:

Cadila Healthcare Limited

Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc.

Accord Healthcare Inc.

APP Pharmaceuticals, LLC

Ascend Laboratories, Llc

Breckenridge Pharmaceutical, Inc.

Pack Pharmaceuticals, LLC

Roxane Laboratories, Inc.

Cypress Pharmaceutical, Inc.

Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited

Karalex Pharma, LLC

Kremers Urban, LLC

Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Sandoz Inc

TEVA Pharmaceuticals USA Inc

Three Rivers Pharmaceuticals, LLC

If you're interested in seeing the ingredients, including fillers, used by each, click on the link: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/search.cfm?startswith=anastrozole&x=18&y=7 then click on each generic and page almost to the very end for a list of ingredients

• Medigal
    edited July 2010
    Thank you, Mtg!!  That is a GREAT link you included!  I have bookmarked it and plan on doing a lot of work with that link.  When the FDA called me a couple of days ago she said they had approved more pharmacies but I didn't take the time to get the additional names.  I see them on your list.  I guess it will be tv dinners again while I do "my thing" with these pharmacies!Wink Much appreciation for the post!
  • ruthbru
    edited July 2010

Wow, you are awesome researchers!

• patoo
    edited July 2010

Wow, you all rock. 

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2010

Hi ladies, I started my AI about a month and a half ago and my fingers and especially the thumb movement is weakened.  Is this normal arthritis caused by the AI?  I'm especially curious because after seeing my onc and telling her about it, I noticed down in the routine tests/orders she had ordered a whole bunch of tests that seemed to be for rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, C3 & C4 complements--don't know what that is.  She ddidn't tell me she was ordering these, so now I'm nervous (what else is knew!)  When I get up in the morning my ankles are also really stiff and they almost feel like they can't take my weight--they feel like they might just crack under the weight.  Help, please!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010

One, thing I can suggest is to stretch and keep moving; for me it was/is important to move through it, the more I sit the creakier I feel. I'd call the onc and ask what tests she ordered and why she ordered them. Or if the tests have already been done, be sure to ask questions when the results come back. Don't just let it rest with a letter from the doctor (even if everything comes back fine), make sure she either sits down with you or at least has a phone conversation. Write down all your questions ahead of time and then write down all her answers too.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited July 2010

Hi weety. I had the same se's, pain in the thumb as well as the index finger so much so that I could hardley use them.  Fortunately these disappeared after about six weeks and they haven't returned. I've been on the A for 15 months now. Love n hugs. chrissyb