Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2010

julia257, so it sounds like they know that amounts ABOVE the daily recommended dose do not help, but they don't know if amounts UNDER that are effecient in smaller and/or thinner women.  Gee, wish they'd have some answers for that.

• weety
    edited June 2010

I jsut found out that I have osteopenia as well (age 39--uggghhh!)  I also had the the hyster/oopher so am officially in menopause, too.  I have been bugging my onc about zometa, and she had finally agreed to consider it for the risk reduction for mets that all the recent evidence is showing, but wanted to see if she could use the osteo angle instead of trying to fight my insurance into covering it.  Well, it looks like I'll be able to get it without a problem now!  I see her in 2 weeks so I'll have to see what she says now. . . 

For Anyone who is interested in reading about zometa and the risk of recurrence, there are a lot of women on this site who have talked their oncs into giving them the zometa.  So far, the evidence shows a 33% reduction in recurrences!  There is also a current study being done that just recently closed its enrollment.  This study compares 3 different bisphosphanates, zometa being one of them.

There are several discussion threads to read on bc.org--with TONS of info!   Do a search for zometa, and they will all pop up!  I do realize that zometa can have a serious side effect of jaw necrosis, but it is extremely rare, and usually seen when women have extensive disease and deterioriating health issues.  With my young age, I'm willing to take extra precautions to keep not only my bones strong for the risk of fractures/breaks, but also for the risk of recurrences--zometa strengthens the bones AND at the same time makes the bones "inhospitable" (for lack of a better term) for breast cancer cells to thrive.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited June 2010

Molly 52. Good job with list. Thank you.

While still on Vacation from A, I have noticed too that my jaws are not cracking as much. I don't know if we call this TMJ.  Could that be related to A?? 

My circle of friends have noticed the difference in me and said "your back". I said its only  temporary.

Like Balsie, I hate Arimidex, but will be back on it soon. I wonder if A could have caused nerve damage to my left hand as it is still in very much pain.

Thanks everyone for all input. We all learn and share something new every day.

• Prairiemermaid
    Prairiemermaid Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2010

Weety -- Thank you for the information on Zometa!  I will certainly research this as a breast cancer treatment option.  It's wonderful that this option is available for young estrogen-free women and breast cancer survivors as well.  And I'm glad your oncologist was able to get your insurance to cover it!  I wish you all the best with your treatments.

My oncologist assures me that I am at very low risk for recurrence, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about it 24/7!  My cancer was caught very early, no lymph node involvement, and my "oncotype" genetic test was a low risk number AND I'm on Arimidex.  Still, I worry and so this Zometa option looks good. Maybe my worry is not rational, a form of post-traumatic stress or something.  I'll talk it over with my oncologist and see if the benefits would outweigh any risks...

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2010

Prairiemermaid - I think we all worry about it coming back. My bc was also caught at an early stage and I had a low oncotype score. I did not do chemo and sometimes I wonder if that was the right decision.  I had asked my onco about zometa in the beginning of all this and he said he would not prescribe it for me because of my low recurrance risk. As time goes on you will think about this less and less. I have past my one year mark in May and I have to tell you it does get better. Don't get me wrong - I still have pity parties about what I've been through but I think that we all deserve one once in a while - right?

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

Sunflowers-you made me laugh, it's good to laugh-thanks!!!

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Don23 -- Thanks so much for your words of encouragement.  They mean a lot to me, and I see our bc experience is similar (did you get a bilateral?).  Your timing couldn't be better either!  I've been having a bit of a bad day today, worry-wise.  I'm wondering if coming to this website message board is heightening my anxiety by causing me to think about bc too much.  Does that make sense?  That's one reason I hadn't been active at all on this board until just recently -- it was too fresh of an experience and I just wanted to put it out of my head and get on with my life.  I stopped going to my Bosom Buddies support group partly for that reason, too (also because they meet so early in the evening, that, with the summer daylight, it always seems to be a bad time to stop what I'm doing and go, or else I forget altogether!)  But of course I couldn't put it out of my mind completely, and came here to look around and then got caught up in the interesting discussions and the wonderful women on the board.  Anyway, part of me really enjoys coming here (and all of me appreciates the support and information), while part of me just gets more anxious about everything with every visit.  I don't know what I should do...
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

Praire, I found that I couldn't come on the boards during or right after treatment (for, like, two years!); I'd just read all the worst case senarios and imagine that I had every symptom of everyone who's ever had any kind of problem. And it made me too sad and crazy, always second guessing everything. Once I had researched enough to know that my doctors knew what they were talking about (and they knew that I knew what they were talking about), I just turned off the computer and got through it. Now that I have some distance, I like to come on and get and give a little advice, go on the exercise and humor sites & enjoy hanging around with people who have 'been there, done that'. I would advice, don't make breast cancer the focus of your life (easy to say, hard to do); go out and do things you enjoy and/or have always wanted to do, have fun, volunteer or work on something that will help others, spend some time with kids; if you live outside yourself and this situation, a day will come and you will be amazed that you haven't even thought about cancer once!!  (Of course, we all have bad days; especially right be rechecks etc. but give yourself some time, some distance, and let good new things happen and most days will be very good!)

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Thank you, Ruth.  Your words make so much sense.  I think I may have come back to this board too soon.  Since I stopped going to Bosom Buddies (about a month after my surgery) I have been able to think about other things, heal, exercise, enjoy my family and many hobbies and generally forget about my experience for the most part of every day.  Now, since coming here -- and for exactly the reasons you state -- I find myself thinking about and worrying about breast cancer a lot again.  I hate to do this, but I think I will have to "back off" or stay away altogether for a while longer.  Get that distance you speak of between me and my past experience with bc.  I've become fond of many of you, surprisingly quickly and will miss you.  Thanks again to you and everyone for all the good information, advice and comfort you've given me, even for this short time.  I'll be back... Sharon

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

I emailed my onc yesterday and asked him to tell me the exact percentage of risk reduction I'm getting while on Arimidex. I've been on it over 2 1/2 years - and my side effects are getting worse every day. My bones ache morning, noon and night - I have no libido left - can't lose weight - and I'm tired all day too. I feel that I'm at a low risk for recurrence, even without the Arimidex - but want my onc to run the numbers for me. If he gives me the OK, I'm going to stop taking this little white pill...........my quality of life is suffering - I feel like an 80 year old woman - and can't imagine continuing like this for another 2 1/2 years! I'll let everyone know what my onc tells me. I don't want to just swap Arimidex for another AI drug........they all have side-effects - I just want to stop with the drugs and get on with life!

• nmi
    edited June 2010

Ruth, you are so wise. I have been feeling the same way as Sharon. Sometimes all I think about is BC and I have to tell myself I have a really good prognosis. I just need to stay away too. Funny, I told my husband I needed to stop reading all this stuff the other day.  I'll check back in too, not too often....Thanks!!!

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2010

Sunflower ~ your fruit talk cracks me up! 

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2010

Weety, I may be reading the answer from the onc incorrectly, but I think the study that he/she referred to did indirectly ("beyond the dose required") specify 1mg A is the suppression of estrogen point for all.

• don23
    edited June 2010

Prairiemermaid - Yes I did have a bilateral along with reconstruction. I could not have made it through without this message board. I do understand your anxiety about thinking too much about BC by coming on here. I find myself addicted to this site! There is a lot of helpful information from people who have been through this journey. I hope that you do come back once in a while to check in and let us know how you are doing if you choose to stay off these boards for a while.

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Hi, I'm still here for a bit today. :-)  Jo-5 and don23 thanks for your thoughtful replies and suggestions.  It will be hard to stay away, because it is a bit addictive -- all this positive activity, information and support with so many wonderful people!  Too bad it has to be around a subject that is so personally painful and difficult, at least at this early date.  Anyway, I wanted to give it another day here to get every last tip and suggestion!  Thanks to all for your understanding and support even in my (temporary) exit...  

Don23 -- Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  It is so close to my own and it is especially helpful to see how you handle it -- with courage, common sense and good nature!  Congratulations on passing the one-year mark!  I wish you and everyone here a whole lifetime of cancer-free health and happiness...

• don23
    edited June 2010

Back at ya Prairie!

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited June 2010

Mercedes57

Sorry for the delay - been having some issues (arm numbness due to muscle pulling and pinching on the nerves - no mets in the neck)....water and walking are good - I have mets in the spine and there is pain.  I take percocets and likely will for the duration and have had to overcome my dislike to take medication - I hurt, it takes the pain away and I am going to take it.  I walk on a treadmill as outside, the uneven spots cause me issues.  Sometimes I can't lift my feet and get caught on something or if I step in a low spot - it gives me a jolt.  Until I reach 8 pills a day with no relief, the percocets are what I will be taking.  At that point, a patch of some sort will likely be explored.  As I am writing, this I find funny, there is a creeping of pain at the worst site of my mets - lumbar and I know it is time for more pills...oddly, in the timing of things - it is actually 7 minutes past when I was due to take them.  LOL. 

They have taken me off the Arimidex and moved me to Faslodex - even with some complete resolution and no progression in many areas on the Arimidex, that one lumbar area had a small degree of progression - my onc does not mess around - if it isn't working everywhere, lets find one that is going to.  I rather liked that!  We shall know at the next 6 month scan! 

I am not going to advocate better living through pharmaceuticals but it is most definately working for me.  This dx is bad enough - I want a quality of life that is without pain and as normal functioning as it can be - whatever this new normal is...

Big Hugs!

LowRider

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

Hugs back to you, LowRider! Praire, when you do come back, stick mostly to the humor & motivation sites. As Jo says, I also usually go to places where there is specific information I'm looking for, or if I feel I can offer some insight and/or (hopefully), helpful tips & PM is also a good way to keep in touch with someone that you feel contected to. Best wishes to all! Ruth

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

Lowrider,

Sounds like you have a good plan and a great oncologist. You are an inspiration!

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010

Prairie, nmi - you definitely have to do what is best for you and we understand.  When I first came to the boards and was in active treatment I stayed a lot on the humor threads.  It gave some comfort to 'play' with others going through.   Now I follow my twin, JO, and get lots of information, especially about Arimidex and Vitamin D.  The faith threads also lift me up and the exercise thread is definitely keeping my weight under control. 

Lowrider, great post - thanks for sharing.

• nmi
    edited June 2010

Ok,  I have to admit it, I'm still here and I like ya'll!!

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Hi all, just got word from Aetna RX Home Delivery , that states "if you have recently filled a prescription for Arimidex tablets we want to let you now that a generic equivalent medication called anastrozole has recently been approved by the FDA and now available.:

I don't know if anyone has received this info but I certainly wanted to share it.

Hugs,

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

ronqt1 - great news about the Arimidex for the US ladies.

Back a couple of days about your jaw and TMJ (My computer has been on and off out of commission the last several days) - your dentist can tell you about TMJ - it means you grind your teeth - and the wear would show (I believe).  The treatment is usually a mouth guard.  I have had a mouth guard for forever.  TMJ often occurs in the perfectionist type personality.  This is based on my own unscientific study.

If you have jaw and carpel tunnel symptoms - regular massage (deep or shiatsu) getting the massage therapist to focus on your neck upper back, throat and arms - you might get relief from your symptoms. Also accupunture would be equally helpful - if you can find a good one.

Maybe you should start a new thread with your Arimidex information so many people will be increadibly thankful to hear this news.

Take care and enjoy the remainder of your "A" vacation.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited June 2010

Seriously...I have a full scrib for Arimidex that I filled right before they took me off it - would hate to see it go to waste....PM me

And thanks for the thanks for posting to you guys - even though Arimidex is out of my life for now, nothing saying that if the rest of the AL's are complete failures, it is one that worked pretty good so I may find my way back around to it...although, it would be nice if that was not the case..lol

For Prairie and nmi....if you want a bit of a giggle...you could go read 'The Date' over on the stage iv forum...even with mets...some very normal life things can happen!

Hugs All

LowRider

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2010

Re:  generic Arimidex

Yes, it's true.  This week the FDA approved at least 3 different companies' generic versions of Arimidex -- TEVA, Mylan, and APP I think.  (I wrote this on one of the "generic Arimidex" threads.)  In some of the announcements of those approvals, the companies said their drugs would be available "immediately".

Soooo ... I called and asked my pharmacist about it this morning.  She said yes, she had just received an email yesterday announcing that generic Arimidex would be available.  She told me there was a deadline in the email for filling current prescriptions with the brand-name Arimidex.  The deadline is today (June 30).  (Pretty short notice, eh?)  Starting tomorrow, my insurance will no longer cover the brand-name version except at an outrageously high co-pay (if at all); so she very likely would have to fill my prescription with a generic after today.  I don't think the generic version is available at my pharmacy yet, but given the amount of $$$ involved, I'm sure they'll be getting it soon.

otter

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited June 2010

HI, All, I can email my mail away pharmacy and see if there is any news on generic Arimidex.

I am shocked as the FDA had notified me that Astra Zeneca's patent had been extended thru 2012.

Wonder where the generic is made. I will have to google those companies that Otter has provided. 

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

I basically am not a thread starter however, I really would like all sisters to know about the generic Arimidex. (Anastrozole).

Molly 52 - Thank you for the info on TMJ. I will keep everything you said in mind.

Lovin my Vacation from A, but reality has to set in sometime.

Have a great day.

• weety
    edited June 2010

I wonder what this will do to all the women on femara.  Do you think insurance companies might force them to switch over? 

Also, My onc had originally planned on putting me on arimidex and then last month when I went to get the prescription from her, she said she wanted to start me on femara instead.  She said there really was no reason, just her hunch that I would do better on femara.  Anyone know anything else about why one over the other?

• weety
    edited June 2010

P.S.  I've also kept this on my watched thread list because the femara thread is much less active.  Why is it less commonly used?

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Hi everyone, I just attempted to start a new thread about the generic approval for Arimidex.

I hope that all sisters from different sites get to see it.

Hugs,