Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2010

To all the ladies having surgery this week, WOOHOO!!!!  I am SOOOO excited for you!!!!  I know the anticipation you have gone through, thinking this time would never get here.  My surgery is not until May 5, and I am so anxious and excited...May seems like an eternity to me!  You all will be in my prayers.  I cannot wait to hear how things go after your surgery!

Sandy B.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2010

mileha,

I can't speak for what the rooms accomodate (child-wise) at the hospital, but no one under 16 can be in the Hope Lodge.

Best of luck to this week's ladies, and to all in the scheduling process!

Anne

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2010

Hi everybody.  I have talked to the center several times today.  I sent them pictures of the drain with the redness around it.  The drain was still at the 60 cc mark, but they had me remove it today.  I feel about 100% better already.  They also changed my antibotic. 

Thanks for all you concern.  This thread is the best thing since sliced bread for me.

Bettye

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2010

Margit~I SO know that feeling.  Your post made me teary.  My sister said to me last night..."I haven't seen you this confident about yourself since before your cancer.  It's so awesome."  Feeling whole again is a miraculous thing.  Everyday I am thankful.

Milhea~Congrats on getting your date.  I would say no to bringing your 5 year old.  You really need those first days to heal.  You will be out of it.  You will be sleeping a ton. This surgery needs to be all about YOU! and YOU only. I know several ladies on here with young children were worried about being away from them for 10 days - 2 weeks, but it was worth it in the end.  You don't want to do anything to jeaporadize your results.  

Warrior~I'm was just reading up on iron definiciency because my 12 yr old niece was just dx.  We are trying to find better quality supplements that don't cause constipation. I will let you know when you do.  

Stage 2 ladies...I don't know if you read my post about stage 2 a gazillion pages back, but I want to stress DRINK WATER AND WALK, WALK, WALK!  It will make a HUGE difference in your recovery from the lipo.  Also, the type of lipo they do is called tumescent and it fills you with fluid, so if you are swollen like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, don't stress.  Walking and drinking tons of fluid will help the body to expell the excess fluid.  You can also take arnica montana before and after which helps with bruising.  Each doc is different, I had my dog ears excised also, and was still able to leave the next day at 23 hours.

On a couple of personal notes, I am in the BEST shape of my life since stage 2!  In fact, the owner of the gym I go to asked me on Friday to become certified to teach their Les Mills Body JAM class!!  It's a cardio workout that is dance based, combining hip hop, jazz, latin and even swing and house styles.  It is my favorite!  Pre-cancer I actually taught jazz and hip hop...so this is such an affirmation of coming full circle and being ME again.  

And my stupid fibroids are still causing me grief.  Just had to have a transvag US because I was having bleeding after intercourse.  I had an endometrial ablation 8/2004 and haven't had bleeding since.  Well..I take that back, I had a couple of incidents of spotting this past year right after both of my sugeries.  But is was SUPER light.  So US, showed nothing but an 'enlarged fibroid uterus'.  I have several, the largest being the size of a baseball.  I'm not sure what I am going to do about it.   Anyone else have these?

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2010

CCbaby ,congrats on the  last "vitamin H" TX..I remember feeling a bit sad,if you can believe that! Go out and do something wonderful (or launch balloons like our Warrior)!

Betty ,so glad you are feeling better and yes! the NOLA folks are serious about taking care of us!

Jamieh, I so hope you get to feeling better soon~

Mileha, WOOOHOOOO for you girl! Many congrats for getting a date..DEFINITELY speak with NORDY re having children with you for Stage 1,

Trishia, you deserve to be happy lady... and it shows all over! Sorry bout the fibroid tho,unfortunately no help from me with that

Much love to all,Marcia

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Glad you feel better already Betty :)  I will be forwarding pictures tomorrow....  Augmentin is not my friend I feel like I am back on chemo... :(

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

Oh Trisha!! I don't have fibroids but that would freak me out! Can you have them removed? Is there a down side to that? (other than another friggin surgery??)  also, I also need non-constipating iron, if you find any., let me know. There were two mentioned here already. I just have personally never met an iron I could take. I am so constipated (or run that way) anyway, the least little thing puts me over the edge. 

Mileha - congratulations on getting your date! I agree with Trisha, this Surgery is no place for a little kid - you will be so out of it for a day or so, it would be scary for the kid!  Besides all this, you need your husband to be focusing on you. I am sure they would not allow a kid in the hospital, but you could ask. Just my thoughts. 

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2010

Thanks everybody for the feedback. You are correct that Hope Lodge won't accomodate younger than 16 and neither will the hospital. Onto Plan B. I will have a really hard time leaving my baby for that time, but we'll figure it out.

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

Greetings

I had my seromas drained today. 240 cc per side. Who knew all that was in there??? I'm amazed that I wasn't more uncomfortable!

For anyone who is worried about seromas... getting them drained didn't hurt me a bit; I am totally numb in that area.

FYI re tattoos--While at the appointment, I asked about nipple tattoos. Over the past 20 years I had my nipples retattooed five times, and they always faded to almost no color. I was told that this is because they used to use vegetable dyes, which fade. But when you go to a real tatoo artist --the ones that specialize in this --they use the same ink that is used for regular tattoos, and they last forever.

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

WOW, Margit did you know that you had that much fluid ??  Are you still in a compression garment ??

Trishia~ Sorry about the fibroids.

Spring~ I haven't tried this but DH's Aunt swears by Slo- Fe.  I haven't tried it yet but she says it really works. 

So my glue is all off and the scars look fantastic.  I posted my picture on timtam's site while chuckling because my modesty has gone out the window.  I would have been horrified 2 years ago and now I do not even think twice about it. 

I have one stitch on my breast that is sore.  It is the stitch that Dr. S cut so I know that I haven't done anything to it.  I just hope they disolve. 

Holtbolt & hellofromct~ I hope you get a good nights sleep. 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010

Trishia...thanks for the stage 2 advice, but what is arnica montana? If it is something homeopathic, I will ask my homeopathic doctor about it.

Soccermom....I will probably cry my eyes out after my last treatment....And I won't know if it will be because I am happy or sad, or both! I am looking forward to next Monday!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

Wow ladies! What a busy weekend. I have to make this short because I am cleaning/decorating for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow... entertaining 15 5 year olds should be fun! We are doing a luau theme and I am off to finish learning the hukilau so that I can teach them!

Jaimie - I am SO sorry I was not around when you needed me. I really should just PM you my number. Yes - smell, signals infection - but sounds like you already got your antibiotic. If it is making you that sick though, ask them to switch it for you! You need to be feeling GOOD!!!!

Mileha - I SO feel your pain. I NEVER leave my girls. EVER. But I did for my stage 1 and am again for my stage 2. Really - you need the time to rest - your husband will want to dote on you and a 5 year old will get awefully fidgety in a hospital/hotel. AND if you do not feel like going out - after your release from the hospital - your husband would have to decide whether to dote on you or entertain your little one. It really broke my heart to leave my girls... but here are some things that I did to kind of help: I wrote them a little note for every day that I would be gone and put the date on the outside for my s-i-l to have them open, called them every night (except when I was too out of it!) and sent a picture via camera phone, and also left a bag of hershey kisses for them to open one every night so that they still got a kiss from mom and dad. I cried on the way to the airport and I cried on the days I didn't get to talk to them, but it all turned out okay. And I am leaving them again next month for my stage 2. I am sad all over again - but in the big scheme of things, it is a short time and when mom feels good and back to normal, it makes it all worth it.... although very difficult at the time. PM me if you need to chat - or just to vent and let off worries. 

CC - woooohooo on your last herceptin! That is awesome!

Trishia - sent you a message on FB. 

Okay - my little one has had enough and I need to practice that dance. (Hahahahhaha - good thing I am only teaching kids!) Anybody else that I need to return PM's - I have not forgotten you - just have to run!!! Sorry!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

PS - good vibes, happy thoughts, lots of prayers to Holtbolt, Hello from CT and Trainertam this week... wooooohoooooooo!!!!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2010

Thanks you so much NORDY. You have great ideas. I will really work on some items that we can do. I'm also going to try webcam for a couple of nights.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Mileha,  I had thought I'd bring along my daughter at one point, too, then worked it out for her to stay home with a friend.  I was SO glad not to bring her, honestly.  There is only one bed in the room, and it's a twin pull-down.  You will be on pain meds, which means you'll not be able to be managing much besides yourself, which means your dh would need to manage a child full-time in a very boring environment.  And the final thing, and the biggest deal to me, was that I needed time to be with my dh on this journey.  This may be different for you, though.  For us, everything was happening at breakneck speed in Dec/Jan, and our time there allowed us to talk through our various feelings at a slower pace, creeping along the hallways and talking more, just being us without a child.  It had a healing component, which neither of us knew we needed until we were in that spot.  So, for us, I am thankful to have had it just be us.  Once we left the hospital and were in a hotel, mobility increased, but resting was quite needed, too. There is nothing for kids to do at or around the hospital, and depending upon where you'd be staying, there may not be much for a child to do while you are recuperating in a hotel.  Of course, your dh may be totally up for the 24/7 childcare and looking forward to working hard to keep a child active and busy.  You will need some care, too, so give that some thought.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    "There is a special moment..."

Wonderful post, Margit. And so true.

Lipo ladies, I agree with what Trish is saying. WALK & DRINK. When you don't move, you get sore and stiff. As you first start moving, it will hurt and you may feel like you have been hit by a truck (lol)..but push through those first few steps. When you do, the soreness leaves. In just a matter of a few minutes the walking got so much easier. The day after I left the hospital, I walked 4 miles around the French Quarter.

Keep a bottle of water in your hand and drink, drink, drink.

Thinking of you in surgery this week!

Carolynn

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2010

I second what's been said for Stage 2 recovery! Walking is great--you start out sore but the blood starts flwoing and you feel better! Just don't couple your first walks with much more, like riding in the car and getting in and out of the car. Still take it easier than you think, or you'll have a set-back.

Arnica worked wonders for me! I took a homeopathic tincture with arnica and a few other things (only available through a distributer, company is Energetix) and I used an arnica based cream topically. My horrific bruising was gone in just about a week! Traumeel cream can be found at Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods--it's arnica, and works great. Slather it on liberally!

Anne

• ccbaby
    edited February 2010
    Anne....I don't have a Whole Foods in my city, but I know there is one in NOLA. I will look for it there before my surgery. Thanks!
  • Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Trishia & Anne~ How far in advance do you start taking the Arnica ??  Anne did you just use yours in cream form ??

Okay I think my "infection" was actually a stinky bulb....First thing this morning I got new bulbs and when I checked the fluid mid-day it was not not stinky....whooo!!!  Now they just need to finish draining so I can get rid of them for good.  If anyone has any problems with pinching besides using neosporin dermablast (in a spray can) works wonderful.  I am 4 weeks out today.  :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

It's just taken me an hour to catch up on this thread! Wow! Yes - War and Peace - or maybe Tale of Two Cities - "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." !!!

First, I want to apologize to Happy, who I know has surgery coming up very soon. I'm sorry for seeming to put down your doc. I absolutely am very thankful for the pioneering work he did on flap recon - I owe him a huge debt of gratitude, as we all do. When I said I didn't "get it," I meant that a lot of docs other than Allen speak of pioneering some of these procedures. I meant to say that I'm not always sure what that means other than that I think a lot of these docs were in on the early work with flap recon and have also gone different directions with it. In that sense, they are all correct in saying they are pioneers. But Dr. Allen was the earliest in the U.S., I certainly believe. I'm sure he's a wonderful surgeon and very caring doctor, as so many women think so highly of him. I think Springtime said it best - that all of these docs are amazing and we love them all. I'm not sure that's exactly her words, but I'm afraid to go back and check, lest I lose what I wrote!

Carolynn - I loved your post and loved that you got to see all the celebrating in NOLA from a birds-eye view! You so deserved the celebration - consider it in honor of you, too!

Plainjane & Sandy - Thanks so much for all you and others here do to help other women along this scary, lonely path. You're the best.

Margit - You had me crying, too. I know the feelings you describe, and now am in the unusual position of having to go thru this all again. I need to be reminded of the other side, as all of this is appearing very overwhelming to me again. Hope I'm up for it...

CCbaby - I hope the lung things turn out to be nothing!

BetteE - So sorry about your complications...

Holtbolt - I loved your description of NOLA - the little snippets, the images. It's an amazing place in so many ways.

Jaimie - So sorry for your troubles, too. Hope the antibiotics clear everything up quickly!

Mileha - Congrats on your date! Mine should be up there soon, as I've gotten word that my insurance has stepped forward!

Springtime - Always the voice of calm and reason. And your tag name is so appropropriate.

Dejaboo - How are the airfares looking? I'm worried about that too.

Holtbolt, Hellofromct, Tammy - so glad you guys are all there together - one of you now asleep and in the master docs' hands! We all have you in our thoughts and prayers!

Everyone else - This is an amazing group of women! Here I go - tearing up again.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2010

((((((((((MINNESOTA))))))))))))))

Marcia

• Trishia
    edited February 2010

Jamie~I started taking it 48 hours prior to surgery.  I didn't have the cream, only the tablets.  I took them after surgery too.  I think for 3 days.  My bruising was gone in pretty much a week.  I had a few small bruises at 2 weeks, but not very noticeable.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010

Ladies, do you have recommendendations on an effective smoothing/firming lotion for hips and thighs? I have poor elasticity, post menopausal (hysterectomy), and had quite a bit of lipo while in NOLA the last two surgeries. I'd like to try and do what I can to help my skin (I know there is no "magic" cure)

Thoughts? You guys are a wealth of information!

And please, not a $100 price tag, LOL. I will put reasonable $$ into a product thats good though.

Carolynn :)

• ccbaby
    edited February 2010
    Trishia...what brand name did you take and where did u get yours? I asked my homeopathic doc, but she doesn't carry it.
  • Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

(((((((((((((Marcia)))))))))))))

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2010

Minnesota- thank you and I am sorry to you for being so defensive Embarassed I sure hope you are doing well with your difficult decisionsSmile

All the suggestions for after Lipo (Arnica and also walking and water) are great. How long does the swelling last? I guess I will not fit into my pants afterwards? also does lipo require a stitch and scar?

Happy

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Trishia & Anne- How many mg (?) Of the Arnica did you take a day?

I found alot of creams at the Vitaminshoppe.com

How loose of pants may we need after surgery- Especially Post op- What should we pack?

How low on the thighs does the Dom outfit go?  

Minn- the air fair did go down some this morning...But not to as low as they were when I looked Thursday : (    I may wait another day.

Pam

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2010

I have been so inspired by this thread, and have now contacted NOLA, the Charleston surgeons and Dr Massey's office about a DIEP or GAP flap. I think I finally understand what my insurance will cover for each of these three options, and my out of pocket expenses will be much, much higher at NOLA. 

I was so disappointed in the work of my local PS (I have implants now) and want to choose very carefully this time.  It sounds like all of these drs are very good, but the artistry displayed by the NOLA docs is mentioned often and I don't recall anyone saying that about the others. And maybe this is my imagination, but it seems like the pictures posted on the NOLA drs website are better cosmetically. 

So, I guess I am seeking opinions on whether or not the NOLA docs really have consistently better results cosmetically. I know there is no absolute answer to this question, but I am interested to hear what the wise women from this group have to say about this.If anyone would be willing to PM me regarding this I would greatly appreciate it!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

AmyM159, do you know what exact surgery you will be having yet? Just a standard DIEP or GAP, (ha ha ha, so casual of me to say "just a standard" HA!!!)  or are you stacking?  2 flaps or four??

• Trishia
    edited February 2010

You know what?!?!  I think the Center actually sent me my Arnica.  I had to call and ask for it.  I dont' know if they are still doing that or not.  I will try and google it.

The dom goes from right above the knees to right below the breasts.  I'm weird like Nordy and thought they were kind of sexy.  After I learned how to put them on without pain..LOL!!!

Yoga pants are great.  I actually wore sundresses.  It was hot and humid there and the sundresses with little jackets to cover my breast drains were great.  

Swelling depends on each person.  Liz reiteriated to me that for some people, they had swelling for a couple of months.  I didn't notice that.  I healed up SO quickly from Stage 2.