Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2010

Way to go, Warrior!  Awesome!

Hope our three ladies from this week are doing well!  Thinking of you guys! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

Bettye - How did I read past that? I'm so sorry for your loss...

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2010
    Spring - I am so sorry about your friend.  I lost my sister to brain mets just one week before I got my own diagnosis, and we buried her exactly one month before my original lumpectomy.  Although there is nothing anyone can say to make it better, I always considered my sister my "special angel" because it was researching info for her that helped me know what to do with my own diagnosis .....and the internet research for her lead me to you guys.  Just take it a day at a time, and realize her struggle and pain is over.  You and her family are in my prayers.....
  • Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2010

BRAVO WARRIOR! Well done and so many women will now know that they too can find out up front whether or not they should even take Tamoxifen vs Oophrectomy and Arimidex!! BRAVO!

Heres Warriors story ...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-02-25-1Agenetictesting25_CV_N.htm

Coincidentally, I too had my 15 minutes of BC fame in 2007 with an article written by the very same reporter/writer,Rita Rubin! Good to know she seems to be more than interested in BC topics! Irony was the story went to print the DAY I got to NOLA for my Stage 1 .FWIW,Link to Marcias story...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-08-26-mastectomy-calendar_N.htm

----------------------------------

Spring so sorry for the loss of your dear friend,{{{{Springie}}}}} Bettye so sorry for your loss as well, as Leah stated so well the world is diminished a bit each time someone passes away to this beast.Marcia

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Okay can someone who has had stage 2 please tell me will they take care of my saddle bags that are new to me ??  I tried to put a pair of jeans on and I can not get them past my lower backside and I do not want to have to buy larger pairs of jeans (I am stopping at my size 12). 

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2010

Bettye,

(((HUGS))) for your loss.  I am so saddened to hear of another loss to this dreaded disease!

Warrior...GREAT article!!!!  I am so glad they are getting the word out to educate others about their options.

Sandy B.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Hi girls!  Doing fine here--much much better the second day.  I am next door to Holt and she is doing great too.  So far I have no real pain.  Right after surgery the inside of my elbows hurt a lot (?) but that's gone now. I think I am getting discharged tomorrow.  Oh--black bra that connects in front, no binder of any kind.  I met TrainerTam briefly.  She stopped in to say hi.

Okay well that's the update.  Will check in later.  Thanks for the prayers and well wishes!

Suzanne

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010

Minnesota....You know so much about NOLA and the surgeries that I didn't realize that you hadn't had yours yet? I don't know how I missed that, I'm sorry.

Warrior...Congrats!!! That is so cool!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2010
    HelloFromCT -Glad to hear you are doing well. My elbows hurt after my original mast. It is probaly because of the position they put you in during surgery....
  • iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    Yea Suzanne!!

Great that you have no girdle. So glad you are doing well! And Holt too!!

• Cat1
    edited February 2010

Suzanna - Great to hear that you and Holt are doing good! 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Holt and Suzanne~Great news!! So happy that you are on the mend!!!

TrainerTam ~ Thoughts and prayers are with you!! Best of Luck!

Bettye~ So, so sorry about your friend - my thoughts and prayers are with you and her family and friends at this time!

Ladies~ I went to an ACS program with my neighbor who was recently diagnosed with BC (early Nov) - Lisa also brought 2 friends - one diagnosed a month after she was, the other diagnosed 6 weeks after she was. Both ladies got mammo's due to Lisa's diagnosis....all 3 ladies attend the same church. Let's keep fighting until we find a cure! I rarely use the word HATE,  but I HATE CANCER!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Marcia Marcia Marcia!!!! Great article! I would love to see the calendar!!!!

Hugs~

LA

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

CCbaby - I did have a delayed unilateral stacked DIEP in NOLA with Dr's D and S in '06. But since then, I've learned more about my type of breast cancer, as has the medical field to some extent. So I've concluded, after much research and soul-searching, that I need to get rid of the insides of my other breast. Thus, my upcoming surgery - a unilateral nipple-sparing SGAP this time. Same team - Drs. D and S, and Stolier this time as well.

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2010

Minnesota - I decided to have a BMx after my 2nd diagnosis of IDC (same breast). I just knew in my heart it needed to be done, even though my first BS wasn't so keen on the idea. I switched BS's and it went from there - BMX followed by immediate bilateral SGAP with Drs. Kline and Craigie in Charleston. Pathology actually found LCIS (same breast) in addition to the IDC. So glad I listened to my intuition, it was correct as usual!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

Kathy - Cute, cute, cute! And great article. I have to admit though, I am kind of sad that I didn't get to see the picture of you whispering sweet nothings (also known as "Knock it off, dog!") in your dog's ear!!!

Marcia - I loved reading your article again! Thanks for posting!

Bettye- So sorry to hear of your loss :( 

Yes - sometimes our diagnosis affects others. My sister was diagnosed almost a year to the day after I was. The only reason she went for her mammo was because of my diagnosis. And, luckily because of that it was caught at stage 1... 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2010

SWASTEW,

You can purchase one from FORCE (maybe even discounted cause they are out of date)...calendar wise that is! All proceeds go to fund our Outreach programs etc,

http://www.facingourrisk.org/store/index.html  there are also copies of Kathy Steligos,"Breast Reconstruction Guiodebook" available (THE Bible of Reconstruction )

just scroll down and you will see the calendar they are $10.00,and with the Guidebook $25.00

This is WARRIORS moment to SHINE though!!!!!!!!! Woo Hooo

Hugs M

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010

BettyE...I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

Holtbolt and HellofromCT...great news to hear you both are doing well! It is so cool that you are in rooms next to each other!

Minnesota...I understand that now and now it makes sense as to why you know a lot about it. I knew I was missing something. lol

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

So... has anyone had to have a seroma capsule removed surgically because it kept refilling?

I am not there yet --- this is only my second draining..but I figure I need something new to worry about....(feel free to PM me..why should everyone else worry...)

Thanks.

Margit 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

margit - I can't even count the number of times I had to have my hips drained for fluid... and then I had drains put back in! So, if you can keep the fluid down enough the pocket should close up - it is a matter of consistency, though. When you see fluid build up, don't hesitate to get it aspirated!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

Minn, I had Dr. Stolier, but was not aware they still worked with him? That is great! He was lovely, as I remember. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited February 2010

Okay... just sitting here watching Idol and so very grateful ... I feel pretty darn good... 100%  improvement from yesterday.. I had a lot of back pain... due to scoliosis and a herniated disk, not surgery related... just aggravated from being in the same position for a long time  But now that I am up taking walks, etc.. I feel 100% better... today was a good day!  Dr. D had to work a little longer on me as I have weird vessels that apparently branch off or something. (I was a little loopy when he explained it but.. he sees it in 1 of 30 women and usually only on one side when he does.. but of course I had this "unique" situation on both sides... so he said he had to work harder.. lol.  I asked him if that would affect the success of the flaps.. he said no .and so far all looks good... crossing my fingers everytime they check with the dopplar and all is good ....yay!

Had a shower today and tried to comprehend the instructions on the black girdle but seriously I can't do that by myself... lol  Hopefully my sister will help me once we get to the hotel...

DH is leaving Sat and  DS is taking over and we are going to the Homewood suites... Trainer Tam stopped in when she got in town,,, her surgery was today and she's not at St., Charles so I don't know how it went... I should see her at Homewood on Sunday thiough.. I've been having fun hanging with HellofromCT and she's doing well too.. she's right next door....

Anyway that's it for now.. my goal is to poop... LOL LOL... so far nothing is moving...sorry .. is that TMI?

I haven't read all these posts so forgive me if I don't address each of you but I did see a few things.. good news for CCBaby. woohoo.... and Spring so sorry about your friend... more later...

Laughing

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited February 2010

Kathy congratulations and great job, you look fantastic.

Nola girls you gals sound great. How wonderful that you all have each other as roomies at the St. Charles.

Trainer Tam hope all went well with your surgery and welcome to the other side.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Question about breast size/balance - I'm 5 weeks post op and the breast swelling has gone way, way down (fortunately).  I do have one which is smaller than the other.  Did the swelling continue to go down - did you continue to get smaller after your initial recovery?  Also, I will be going off HRT soon, which means no estrogen since I've had a hysterectomy. I am wondering if reducing/eliminating estrogen had an impact on anyone's DIEP recon?  I was at the health food store today and a very knowledgeable woman there told me our "pooches" are often a reflection of estrogen levels, since we can pack it on there when estrogen is high.  If she is correct (and she may be wrong), then I would think lowering estrogen may shrink the breast/abdominal tissue size somewhat.  Any input?

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2010

Spring and Betty- SO sorry to hear about the loss of your friends Frown It is a reminder how fortunate we are to be on this thread and not on some of the other threads. God Bless all of the ladies and their families struggling with this disease.

Yay Warrior!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Warrior & Marcia I loved Both Articles!  Very neat that You made the Front page Kathy- And you looked great!  

Hello & Holtbolt- So good to hear from you- And that you are both doing good- neat to be right next door.  

Bettye- I am very sorry to hear about your friend.  

Nordy- So I should be having this seroma drained?  Ugh.  When I saw the radiologist last week- He did not want to drain it.  Said it was similar size as last time- about 35 ccs...And that I risk infection each time...And that he wasn't going to keep draining it for me....So I didn't have it drained...Figured it had been 3 weeks & it wasnt any bigger....I was hoping my stage 2 would be sooner then it is. So I need to go back & have it drained?  

Margit- Sorry you are filling up so much.  I would like to hear if anyone has had a Seroma surgically removed also.  

Jaimieh- Id like to hear about what can be done for saddlebags too...I have loose skin...So a lot of Lipo is not a good option for me...So am I just stuck with them?  Anyone?

Pam

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2010

kcshreve, I don't know about that estrogen and "pooch" thing. Granted, we store estrogen in our fat tissue. And historically/evolutionarily that fat was needed for surviving lean times. I just know that my "pooch" did not develop till I was on Femara--and had virtually no circulating estrogen in my body. The only thing that made it reduce was lipo.

re: saddle bags and Stage 2 SGAP--a butt lift and lipo will help the saddle bags as a rule. At least, in my personal experience.

Anne

• Cat1
    edited February 2010

Holt - great to here from you!  Glad you're doing good!  Hope you get to poop soon! 

Jaimieh - great new picture! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

HOLT, I can so relate with the goal to POO!!!! LOL!!! MyraLax girl!

Glad to hear you are well. I had a friend with the same "took Dr. D Longer" issue, but she did fine. You will too!!!

Happy Friday beauties!!

Holt, tell HELLO hi from us all when you see her in the hall.

Tammy, hope you are okay! :) 

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2010

Warrior - Congrats on the USA Today article - it was the most informative piece that I have seen that clearly explained how the liver enzymes active tamoxifen and how the genetic test works.  It is so important to get the word out to women - especially those who may not be getting the normal tamoxifen side effects - to at least have the discussion with their oncologists.   I had no idea that the same concept also applied to the heart medication - so informative!  Understanding the genetics - that is where we are going to make huge strides against these dreaded diseases.