Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

OUCH - 6 weeks... Frown   There goes my tri training... Cry.

I am happy to hear that all the girls down in Nola right now are doing so well! Hurray! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

SallyM, Nordy, BreastCancerDiva - OMG, next week already for you gals! If you're like me, you're nervous wrecks! I know my stomach is clenching up just seeing my name up there the week after yours... And knowing that I'll be seeing a couple of you when I'm there!

So glad all this week's gals came thru so well! Yeah! Only one more to go!

Camiam - welcome! wow! another gal from long ago like me - but even more so. so you and I are in the club of ladies who had one side done and then we come back for more! It sure has helped with all of this not to have to worry where was the best place to go, huh?!

Holtbolt - I had 2 more tiers of tests after the first tier for BRCA was negative. As long as I was into it, I figured I'd finish up. Everything was negative, and it's a big relief, both for me and for my daughter - and my son, too, for that matter. Plus, I knew I'd be meeting my deductible one way the other for this year, anyway, so why not?

Mileha - well I did gain for my GAP surgery. 5 pounds. It wasn't a big stretch for me - I could have gained this without trying very hard, just by not watching my weight like I usually do. So I figure it will not be anything I have to struggle to maintain. Plus, I figure that whatever doesn't get used for the breast or to touch up the donor cheek, I can just have them suck out, and I'll probably wind up weighing not much more than I did before I started this - or at least I won't be having to try to lose anything and thus impact the new girl. 

Pam - You already know I am soooooo happy for you!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

(((((((((((Ladies)))))))))))) Just wanted to say hi and good luck to all of you headed to NOLA shortly!!  Happy thoughts and prayers for all!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

2T - Woo-Hoo on a successful surgery!!! Congrat's!! What an amazing feeling it is to see the 'new girls' for the first time!! So happy you were able to connect with another lady~and your DH was able to connect with her DH.......as Fairway is out in the middle of nowhere!! Take it easy and continue to heal!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

2tzus - Terrific, glad to hear you're up and moving.  Great to hear that you love your new girls!  Keep on getting better every day! 

Sally, Diva & Nordy - thinking about you and will see ya next week!  It's our turn! 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

so i am at the hotel, out of the hospital yay! I feel great and am having no real issues.

but i wanted to knw- after you get ouut of the hospital what is the likelihood of a failure?

also, my back is killing me, not sure if its from being in the hospital bed so long or how they laid me out on the table...and ideas how long that will last?

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Hi Melinda...congratulations on being out!  Yay!  Likelihood of failure is very very small....don't stress about it.  (I think we all do!)  As far as the back pain, it may be because you had DIEP and you aren't standing totally straight yet.  That will go away as you stand straighter in the next couple of weeks.

Glad to hear you're feeling good.  It only gets better from here!

Suzanne

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

2tzus!  I felt so much better sitting in the chair after surgery!  So glad to hear you are doing well and that you are so happy with your results.  The shower can be tiring.  I remember the first time thinking "they've GOT to be kidding!"  LOL!!  But actually it was no problem...just taking it slow and careful, then you may want a nap!!!  Good luck and contratulations for being on the other side!

Good luck to all the girls coming up!!!

Suzanne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt - I added you back in the list. Pam told me you were gone! I don't know how that happened!

Camiam, do you want me to add you to the list? if so , let me know date, and other stuff you want posted. WELCOME! ont be shy, we're nice! :)

Tammy, YIKES. They sent me home with an extra drain, and I ended up using it. I had one that would not stay "suckin". Ha!

Sandy, thanks for the update on the girls!

Minn, hang in there! Soon you will be on the other side of this, and healing up! :)

Hey Miss Ginnie!!! Hope all is well with you!

2T, glad to hear from you! Glad you are doing well.I also could not wait to get rid of the pain pump. Something about lugging aroudn those bowling balls!

Melinda, My back hurt too, I don't know why. RELAX and let the chair/sofa support you.
    IT will get better.

COMING UP!!!!

• Mar 23 - Cat - Stage 1, Bilaterial SGAP, NOLA (Dr. D.) St. Charles surgical. The day after my birthday! Happy Birthday to me!
    • Mar 23 - SallyM - Stage 1 PBM (BRCA 2) - NOLA. (Dr. ??)
    • Mar 25 - Nordy - Stage 2 (Dr. S) - NOLA
    • Mar 25 - BreastCancerDiva - Stage 2 (Dr. D) - St Charles Surgical Hospital, NOLA

I finally called NOLA about my lower abdominal plication "bluge". Talked to Jeanine, sent pictures. Got some good shots of the "bulge". Dr. D. looked at the pics. Jeanine emailed back. It's not a hernia (LOL, I never though I had a hernia!). They said it looks normal, but that I can get an ultrasound locally and see if there is a seroma needing to be drained. So in the process of setting that up locally. The breast surgeon I had been seeing locally won't do this because it's not the BREAST!!! I explained, it's from breast reconstruction!!! Oh well, they only do boobs apparently, the rest of your body be damned!  I would be so happy if this is a seroma that can be sucked out and not swelling that I am going to have to waaaaaaaaaaaaaait for. 

Just so you know, I wish I never did it! Others have had good luck with plication, but the bulging is really bugging me!!!!!! I feel 4 months preggo! Just sayin'!!!!

Spring. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

2t - yay....glad to hear you are doing well!

Melinda - glad to hear you are at the hotel.. one step closer to home...

I am still battling a problematic right leg (sore, weak, numb) but they are reassuring me it will resolve itself ... I'm not sure what it is... or what's causing it....and it's disturbing....  sometimes it's way worse than others... and I'm forced to take a pain pill...I'm thinking somethings pressing on a nerve... hopefully it'll go away soon... maybe it will magically disappear when the drain goes... hope so...

CamIAm  - welcome!! Smile

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2010

I've been lurking and occasionally posting for a couple of months.I had a BMX 10-09 and implant exchange at the end of December. I was really disappointed with how the implants looked and found this thread after that. I never thought I'd even consider a DIEP, but have been really inspired by what I've read here.  I've been doing a lot of exploring/investigating since then. I had a phone consult with Dr Massey and have a consult scheduled with Dr DellaCroce on March 29 (we are going to be in that neck of the woods for spring break).

Anyway, here's why I am writing. I have seen 2 plastic surgeons this week to discuss possible revisions with my implants (I'm really trying to be thorough!), but I also told both of them I was considering DIEP. Their reactions have left me feeling, I don't know, unsettled and confused. They were both polite and more or less professional, but I could tell they thought I was nuts to be considering this surgery. Neither seemed to think it was understandable/reasonable that I was looking for a really GREAT cosmetic result, and that I was hoping to look better than I did before my mastectomy. (Not that any of this was actually said, just the feeling I had). 

So I guess I am looking for some support and enouragement here. Have others run into this with PSs?

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Hi all - back at home and finally feeling almost back to normal.  Had a mini family issue come up the day I returned home and this sucked the juice right out of me for about 24 hours. 

Dejaboo - SO HAPPY to read about your necrosis recovery!  Dr. M did tell me when I was there that sometimes it just takes a little bit more time for the necrosis to work itself out and that I need to be patient - plus with your scaring issues I'll bet the massage just really opened up your blood vessels in there!  HOORRAY!

Nordy - really surprised to read that you are doing nips this time.  Last time we talked you had mentioned that you were going to just do tattoos.  What changed your mind?

Melinda - SO glad that your mom has come around.  When I met you both on Monday afternoon I was still a little out of it but could tell that your mom was a little reserved when she came in my hospital room.  I felt that by the time you guys left she had opened up quite a lot and was much more receptive to what was going on.

It's just amazing to me how much there is to read here!  Such an active thread!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

amym-I got the same response. The reason for their response is they are probaly not a microsurgeon. The non-microsurgeon route forces you to lose some core strength because they are not working at the "micro" level.

I "think" you could actually have Dr M and Dr D do your surgery. I had the pleasure of spending a weekend at a retreat called Image Reborn and she is flipping amazing (and hilarious) You would be in great hands either way. Or maybe you'll get both of their great hands!

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Amy - Most surgeons like to promote the surgery that THEY do, not necessarily the one that is best for you. I think you are smart to be researching all your options. Then YOU make the decision for what is best for YOU!!! We will all still be there on the 29th and I don't think there is anyone who is beyond stage 1 that is not willing to play show and tell. Wink I will PM you my number - if you are in town the evening of the 28th, I think we are all trying to get together for dinner!

Holtbolt - I am still standing by my thought that your pain is a nerve irritation - whether it is at the spinal level or in the gluteal/sciatic nerve impingement...

Anniese - hmmm.... I don't remember ever thinking or saying that I wouldn't get nips!!! BUT I did say that when I have my tats done, I would probably stay local. Does that make sense? Or did I cross my wires from my brain to my mouth??? LOL 

Gin - so glad to hear from you!!!

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Spring - you are the bomb for keeping up on this thread!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Tomorrow will be 10 days with my nipple protector. Am I suppose to take it off with the surrounding tape and use the other guards they gave me, or do I just keep wearing this until it comes off on its own? I can't remember what they said at the hospital.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Hi Nordy! Yeah! I am the bomb alright! ha! LOL.

Amy, many PSs that do not do DIEP/GAP and mircrosurgery react that same way. they are all jsut sold on implants. t is common, we all need to somehow get beyond their reactions. All my docs here thought I was nutz. Then hey saw the results and ONC and others started to recommend women go to NOLA!!, expecially when implants fail or when rads are required. Look at the pictures! That's what sold it for me. It is a process and a journey to figure out if his recon is right for you... At least, it was for me. It is not right for everyone. IT is a very personal choice. It sounds like you are doing all the exhaustive research. Successive approximations over time! 

If you want me to post your consult, let me know the date and all, and I'll add to the listing above.  

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

another question- i am doing the breathing tube thing, but when I breath deep I can feel a rattling in my chest, the nurses at st charles told me that fluid on the lungs or pneumonia was a concern when you are under anasthesia for that long. Did anyone on here get that? How long did that rattling thing go on?

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Christy, I wore the protectors for 10 days but my instructions called for 7 days.

I thought y'all might enjoy this, which I received from my NOLA friend Alaina a few months ago:

THINGS I LEARNED LIVIN' IN Louisiana

1) A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.

2) There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in Louisiana .

3) There are 10,000 types of spiders, and all 10,000 of them live in Louisiana .

4) If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

5)  "Onced" and "Twiced" are words.

6) It is not a shopping cart, it's a buggy.

7) "Jawl-P?" means, "Did y'all go to the bathroom?"

8)  People actually grow and eat okra..

9) "Fixinto" is one word.

10) There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there is supper...

11) Iced tea is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.

12) Backwards and forwards means, "I know everythin' 'bout you.

13) The word "jeet" is actually a phrase meaning, "Did you eat?"

14) You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see...

15) You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH 'em. 

16)  You measure distance in minutes.

17) You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

18) All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.

19) You know what a "Dawg" is.

20) You carry jumper cables in your car - for your own car.

21) You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Tony Chachere's, Tabasco , and ketchup.

22) The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and LSU football...

23) You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

24) You find 100 degrees "a bit warm."

25) You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.

26) Going to Walmart is a favorite past time known as "Goin' Walmartin" or "off to Wally World."

27) You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather.

28) Fried catfish is the other white meat.

29) We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. . . if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

30)  You understand these jokes and forward them to your Louisiana friends and those who just wish they were from Louisiana !!!!!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Okay, so I've been thinking about dinner on Sunday night, 3/28 and thought I would suggest Irene's Cuisine.  It's in the French Quarter and is said to be Brangelina's fave.   The food is fantastic.  Let me know, ladies!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Sandy - Funny! Thanks for posting and thank Alaina for me!

Springtime - Yes - Bomb! Bomb shell! Thanks! for keeping up this thread!

Now I can't remember who asked what. My brain is not working well these days. I am very spaced out and getting worse every day - I think the stress is really, really wearing on me. Anyway, re: flap failure, I know that the most dangerous time is the first 24 hours. The chance of that is already extremely miniscule at NOLA. Once you're past that time, it must be infintesimal! (I know that is spelled wrong - see how spacey?) Someone asked something else - no, I know - the gal who has the consult on the 29th (I can't go back and look up your name because then all this disappears!), that's when I have my pre-op - at 9. I wonder when your consult with Dr. D is - maybe I'll run into you! I'll go up to any lady I see and whiasper, "I'm Minnesota, are you from bc.org.? Do you want to see my breast?!" Melinda - I think I might call about the rattling, if I were you, just to be on the safe side and so you don't worry needlessly. 

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2010

I haven't posted in awhile on this thread - but just wanted to say 'hi'.  Happy to hear all of the recent surgeries went well and thinking of all of the women coming up (so many at the end of March!).   I am up in 3 weeks (can't believe it!).  Thought I would be relaxing and shopping to prepare - but we got hit last weekend with a big flood in our finished basement (NJ Nor'easter) - and you can imagine the cleaning nightmare this has been (we filled a 20 yard dumpster and rented a truck to haul the rest).  After this weekend, I have to get some pampering!

Thanks for continuing the thread Spring - you are the bomb!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Minn, I know it's hard to turn from fears and think about the positives, but consider:

1.  Your surgery is with the best flap surgeons in the world.

2.  You are getting rid of that dangerous tissue.

3.  You've been through this with Dr. D once before with no complications.

4.  You should be proud of yourself for making the decision to be proactive and not wait for another cancer diagnosis.  You got to choose the timing, the surgeons, and do this on your own terms this time around.

5.  You will have two beautiful breasts and can have that nipple revision you want.

6.  You are going to do great and when you get home, Harold will be there waiting for you!

7.  You are serving as a courageous and caring example to your children.

I'm sure there are more things you can think of..these are just off the top of my head.

So, when you get nervous, take deep breaths and try to think only of the positives in all of this.  Remember that fears are made up thoughts about things that have not happened yet, and we don't have to allow ourselves to think or feel them. 

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

2T!!! Thank goodness for being in the best of hands... REALLY. I am glad all is well now and will keep you in my prayers. I look forward to meeting you this coming week!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

2tzus, I'm also very glad to hear you're okay now! Thanks for writing about the wonderful care you've received!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

2tzus- You are in such excellent hands!  I'm SO glad for you to have been there with this remarkable team. THIS is exactly the reason I knew I needed to go to NOLA. If there is a 1 or 2% chance of anything going wrong, I am that one.  Every time.  So, I fully expected to have your story when I went there, and I felt very confident that if there were a surprise, they could handle it.  When one of my dopplers was consistently odd, I was not worried for a moment, knowing they were watching  and checking and would make sure they did all they could do.  My dh was a mess, knowing my 2% numbers, he physically got up and stood by watching every single nurse's check, since he was terrified that I'd have issues.  As it turned out, I had no problems. For once, I was not that 2%!! However, the woman in the room next to me had to be taken back into surgery.  Her dh and my dh had chatted while we were both in surgery at about the same time and had gotten to know each others' stories.  So, when she was having troubles, the guys met in the hallway to compare notes.  I think it was about 1 am when she had to go back in.  By the next morning, she was doing great and had no other issues from there on out.  Working well with surprises is all part of their expertise, although I do not think it happens often.  Again, I'm glad you're in good care.  Get some rest!!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

2tzus - it great to hear how quickly they took care of your problem and the care you were given.  It very reassuring to know how much they do take care of us.  So glad your doing well! 

Minnesota - I'm the one who asked what time your appt was on the 29th.  My post op is at 9:15 so we should run into each other.  I'll be the red head! 

Sandy - I thought everybody knew how to talk Southern!   

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

2tzuz~ I am glad that they were able to keep things flowing.  Dr S is amazing...  I hope everything from here on out goes smooth.....

Okay I got some Maderma scar cream and does anyone know if I need to cover up my breast afterwards so it doesn't penetrate thru my clothes ?? 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies, so glad to hear all that is going on, and so many of you back at NOLA !!!

For those who want to join in on a scrapbook: I bought a fabulous new CM book that only requires slipping the pages into the protective sleeves! So, here are some guidelines for you al:

Use a 12 X 12 page (found at Micheals/ scrapbooking store)

Only use 1 side of the page. If you want a double page spread, send 2 sheets and I will make sure I insert them so they are facing each other.

Since the book cost me $48.00 if you can send me 3 or 4 bucks with you pages I would rerally appreciate it. If not, don't let that stop you from adding your page of thanks to our beloved Dr.s .

Try and pad the pages with some cardboard so they don't get bent during shipping to my house.

PM me and let me know you are sending something and I'll give you my address. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Just to clarify what PAGE means: they sell 12 x 12 peices of paper designed to do scrapbooking pages. Do NOT buy a package of insert pages for an album (WAY too expensive). Paper is on sale a Micheals right now for 30% off, that makes the paper $1.00 or less per sheet.