Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

2Tzus, I am so sorry you have had the extra excitement and so happy about the care you have received. I am feeling so much better about all this today.

Both of my parents went through hell the last years/weeks of their lives in hospitals with horrible care from doctors and nurses alike. I had three home births and even had my hysterectomy done as an outpatient in order to avoid staying in them. I didn't realize how bad my fear was until this last week. If not for all of you, they would have been drugging me up before I left the lodge. (hell, maybe before I left Pensacola!) I finally feel ready for this.

The kitty litter box is clean and I tackle the floors tomorrow. The bathrooms will be the day before I leave. I figure I will not be doing any bending over or deep knee bends for a few weeks with a HIP. If it isn't at waist level, someone else gets to take care of it. 

Did anyone try wearing a light, cotton cami under the hospital bra to help with the irritation from the band? Would that mess up the incisions? 

Melinda, it looks like everyone missed your post. I hope you called the Center about it or your local PCP. Don't let it go too long before having it checked out. 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

2Tzus - whew! Glad they got it figured out for you. What a roller coaster few hours you have had. I hope things are smooth from here!

Minn and Cat1 - My consult is on 3/29 with Dr. D at 9:30, so I'll certainly see one or both of you there.

Sandy - Irene's sounds great for dinner on the 28th. I can walk there from my hotel.

Spring (aka da bomb) will you add my consult?

3/29 - Laughlines - Consult with Dr. D and Dr. S

Thank you!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2010

Minn, Nordy and Cat1 (and whomever else will be there)

I have a consultation with Dr D scheduled for March 29 at 11:30. We are vacationing that week in Dauphin Island ( a couple of hours away) so will drive in that morning for the day.  I would love to meet any/all of you, so I hope we cross paths!

Spring, if you want to add me to the list that would be great:)

Amy

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Sue,  At first, you'll want wear the compression bra they give you in the hospital.  Your breasts will go into a swelling phase for a few weeks, and the compression should firm but not too tight.  If the bra is noticeably tight, they can get you the next size up.  If the band bothers you, you can put gauze under it to  comfort your skin.  I had to do that in several places, and it was very workable.  Do you have allergies/sensitivities?  Do ask about this specifically, since they may have an idea for you there.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

2tsuz- I read your story to my dh.  He was SO protective while we were there and could barely breathe, being concerned that I'd have issues.  Hearing your story, he went back into his barely-able-to-breathe mode, relating so well to it, and to your dh's role standing alongside you trying to come up with solutions.  He's sending his regarding to your dh!  And he's also glad you are where you are - knowing that they will keep at it until things are right.  Once past the first 72 hours, they will tell you it is very rare to have issues.  Even then, they are close by for any questions, or if you'd need to be seen for any reason. I'm glad you are where you are.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

i hope someone reads this as I'm a little worried- i have a fever of 100.2- which i know is low grade, we had just gotten back from walking  2 blocks to eat when i took the temp. I had been doing really good before this and now i just feel all achey. I told the nurses today about the very slight rattling in the chest and she said to keep doing the breathing thing and to talk to them about it monday.

i thoought they said under 101 was nothing to worry about, is that what you were all told?

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Thanks Sandy!   Is that what everyone else has done? Worn them for the days and then changed to the other type? I want to make sure I am doing the right thing by changing over after 10 days.

• Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2010

For those of you who have had nipple reconstruction at NOLA, do you know the method they use and success with long term projection?

Shay

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2010

I am scheduled with Dr S. April 20, 2010. Found this forum. I am very nervous. Anyone else from Cincinnati? Has anyone had an ab/lumbar stacked flap (bilateral)? Did I mention I am very nervous? I am still working on insurance issues and payment issues. I'm scared everything is going to work out and I am actually going to go through with this. Does that make sense?

I am sooooo glad I found this page. I've been combing the posts finding out tons of info but I am still so scared. Will have right mastectomy with imediate reconstriction, left delayed reconstruction (had left mastectomy when first diagnosed in Sept. '08) and port removal.

I am just so tired of the uniboob and dealing with waterlogged fluff in my bathingsuit. I can't fathom having two breasts again, it is almost like a dream. Thank you in advance ladies for any help.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Shay,

They use skin from the breast, not grafted skin.  Dr. D told me it's kind of like origami.  The first time around, I asked for "barely there" and they pretty much completely flattened out to that.  When Dr. D redid them last November, he told me that he was going to make them hollow and insert fat grafts into them.   So far, when I wear the guards consistently, they look pretty much as they did right after surgery.  However, without the guards, they lose about 1/2 their projection.  If I knew that was as much as they will flatten I'd ditch the guards now, but he said to wear the guards for 4-6 months.  I'm going for 6 months to maximize what I end up with.  I'd heard that when the nipples are done a second time, there is scar tissue to use and they hold up better.  I'm not sure what they would look like if I'd asked for more than the 'barely there" effect---not sure what he does when we don't express a preference, but I'm hearing that many husbands are now coming our of their caves and expressing their preference as my dh did---more nipple.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

It's going to be a busy morning for Dr. D on 3/29! 

9:00 a.m.  Minnesota's pre-op with Dr. D

9:00 a.m.  Julie's consult with Dr. D---I get to shoot video!

9:15  Cat post-op with Dr D

9:30  Laughlines' consult with Dr. D

11:30  Amy's consult with Dr. D

Maybe we can all meet at Zea Rotisserie for lunch after our appointments?  It's just about a block from the Center and the food is superb.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Melinda, a slight fever after surgery is common, but over 101 degrees could be sign of infection and you should call if it reaches that point.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

Melinda, to that I will add - what is your normal body temp? Not everyone is 98.6. My normal temp is about 96 degrees, so if that's what happens to you then you should call now, especially since you don't feel so well (the achiness is not a great symptom). If you call, mention the rattling in your chest and the achiness in addition to the fever.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Leah

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

Thanks, kc. I was concerned about the bra irritation because of what others had posted. The one thing I have to remember to tell Dr. S is a sensitivity to adhesive I have picked up the last couple of years. I broke out like crazy when they used this huge piece of clear plastic tape over my medport. Even Band-aids bother me now.

Welcome, fourboymom. My surgery is the 29th with Dr. S at Fairway. I am having bilat mx (left side PILC, right side proffy) with HIP (I have more than enough there for the D's I am going for), but there are many women on this thread who have had stacked. If going through all the pages is too time-consuming (it took me 3 weeks), please feel free to post any quesions. These are the most wonderful women on bc.org IMHO.You will love Dr. S.

Sorry, Melinda. I forgot you are still in NOLA. I hope you feel better soon and this is just something minor you can fight off. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Melinda, make yourself cough to mobilize the secretions, and use that spirometer vigorously. You're on antibiotics, right? And make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids. Dehydration is your enemy. It's often normal post-op to hover around 100, just from the little air sacs being compromised during anesthesia, or from having had a catheter. But if it reaches the number that they get concerned about (as is in your discharge instructions) then don't hesitate to call.

Cough, breathe, drink!!

Anne

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2010

SO looking forward to seeing many of you in NOLA!    Add me to the list on the 29th as well, for a post-op (Stage 2) with Dr. D at 10:30!   

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Fourboymom - I had a bilateral stacked ab/hip with Dr. S in late January - and I am so happy with my decision to have the surgery!!! It is normal to be nervous, as well as excited. Please let me know what questions you have, I will be more than happy to answer them! I also have before/after photos that I can send you. Welcome!

2T - Wow! So sorry about the extra surgery, but I am so glad you were in such good hands at Fairway! The staff there was wonderful to me, and it is comforting to know that Dr. S only lives a few minutes away! Wishing you a non-eventful recovery!

Ladies~My goodness this is an active thread - and so hard to keep up with!!! For those of you that recently had surgery - Congratulations - and welcome to the other side!! For those that are up - WOO-HOO!! Best of luck - I am confident you will be thrilled with the results! You are in GREAT HANDS!!!

Spring (Beverly) - You are the BEST for keeping up with this thread!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Irenes's - Great place to have dinner! The food, and service, is fabulous! I would call ahead for reservations, especially if there are more than 4 attending - the facility is small, and they will needt o put tables together for you!

SueinFL - I can't say enough good things about the compassion and care you will receive while in NOLA - unlike any hospital I have ever been in (I was at Fairway).

If I left anyone out, my sincere apologies!!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

2t - sorry to hear about your complications ... I think we can all associate with anxiety every time that dopplar is plugged in.... at least I can.... I'm sorry you had to go through that but it shows the rest of us that even if there is a problem, they are all over it.... here's to smooth sailing from now on!!!

Melinda -when are you scheduled to leave town?  When is your post op?  If you've already had it, I would call the center to report the temp and symptoms before you go home....you will be nervous enough at home in general being away from the center... try to eliminate something else that will make you anxious before you go home (that's my 2 cents)

fourboysmom - welcome!  I was born and raised in Cincinnati and spent the majority of my life there (on the northwest side), Colerain/WhiteOak?... I'm 2 hours from you now near Indianapolis....  (Let Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame already people! LOL ..... that was a Cincy shout out)...... you are going to the right place for surgery... and I understand the feelings in your post... I think I made the decision about recon after going to the beach the first time after my BMX.... putting shower scrubbies in my bathing suit was just so sad for me... and I thought... really????.. am I going to do this for 30 years?  After I am healed, my first beach vacation will be very memorable I'm sure.... can't wait...

For all of you coming up.... good luck!!!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

It's down to the final countdown to head to airport!  Starting the get a little nervous now!  I'm just so ready to have new girls or puppies as my other half calls them!  Can't wait to see the results!  Looking forward to meeting everyone.   My list keep getting bigger for those that are going to be down there at the same time. 

Sandy - would love to have lunch with everyone on the 29th.  Hopefully, I'll feel up to it since I'm the only post op that day! You guys work it out and I'll definately see one of you as there are to many to not see someone!  Sorry I'm just rambling! 

Melinda - I'll give you a call once I get down there to check on you!   

Fourboymom - welcome!  This is the best site and the best group of ladies ever!  If you have questions, someone can always help.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2010

Sandy-I would love to go to lunch with everyone on the 29th. I will be with my husband and kids, but will try to talk them into doing something on their own then!

Holtbolt and 4boysmom, I grew up in Cincinnati too (in Pleasant Ridge).

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2010

Hi Gals. I had my stage 2 and it was a piece of cake. Nothing like the first time around. I left the hospital the next day and walked the French Quarter for 4 hrs.  Dr D fixed the big dents in my butt by grafting fat from my love handle area and moving it to my butt, lifted the breasts and added nipples and lipo to slim out the waist.  I had a great time with my sister.

We are off today for our cruise so I will have to catch up on everything when I get back.

I just want to wish everyone good luck and great surgeries this week. Drink plenty of fluids several days before your surgery and that will help.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Stephanie - Have a great time on your cruise and I am glad all went well!!!

Melinda - Anne hit it on the head - I want to add walking to your list of things to do, but take it easy and at your own pace. This also helps you to breath and get things moving in your lungs!

Sandy - My post op on the 29th is at 1:15. I don't know if that will stay the same since Dr. S will be in surgery w/Sue - or if they will have Dr. D see me (since it looks like he has a lot of appts. that day!) Either way, I would love to meet up with all of you for lunch or something... but if not it looks like definitely Sunday night for dinner. Maybe we need to get a head count for reservations???

Amy - did I PM you my number??? (senile over here!!)

Ladies - so glad for all that are on the other side, can't wait to meet everyone this week!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

I took off my nipple protector this morning and cleaned around the area. It looks great! Only 2 small stitches to either side of it.  I am now wearing my nipple guard.  I can't wait to get my tattoo in 3 months!  I will probably just have my PS here do it rather than driving back down to NOLA.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Ladies, you all are so great!

I will be adding the following above, if something is amiss, let me know!  big day on Mar 29!!

Mar 29 - AmyM159 - Consultation w/Dr. D. 11:30AM, NOLA.

Mar 29 - Laughlines - Consultation w/Dr. D. 9:30AM, NOLA

Apr 20, FourBoyMom - Stage 1, Stacked DIEP/lumber, Dr. S., NOLA.

2T, WOW what a story! LAY DOWN GIRL!!! :) So glad you are okay.

Melinda, I remember rattling for a while, it was like there was goop in my chest that took a while to resolve. ust keep doing the breathing stuff. Cough! The more you get up and walk, the better. Just keep an eye on it. I think not uncommon! That fever, hmm. It could be something anywhere! So many body parts involved. Let us know what you find out.

Fourboy, I had the bilateral stacked DIEP/lumbar (4 flaps). Not enough fat in either one place!
    You will do fine. I did! But, when you first wake up, you'll be out of it, but there are a lot of tubes and ires b/c so many flaps involved. Every day it gets better and some tube or wire comes out. You re in the BEST of hands. It is normal to be nervous, but be assured, you have THE BEST in the WORLD!

Christy, - It will look better all the time too! I am 3.5 months out and no longer sore, looks just like my other one (real one!) Amazing, honestly.  

Spring (da bomb) LOL.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Macksix6, glad to hear your stage 2 was a piece of cake!  Sounds like you had a few things done, and walking around the quarter for 4 hours the next day.  That's great!

I just received my letter from the Center confirming my Stage 2 date (May 20).  I was surprised that they scheduled me for a post-op on 5/27.  Did any of you have a post op a week later?  I didn't think they did the stage 2 post-ops that way. 

Also, I just have to say....I MISS LANITA!!  She was such a huge help to me, and so sweet and friendly and I am so sorry she is no longer at the Center.  :-(

I finally got some new bras and they are much less irritating than the Center one.  They are just plain Hanes sports bras (3-pack for $10) from Walmart.  Very comfy and just the right amount of compression--no irritation on the band.  Yay!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!  It's great to read the updates from everybody at home and at NOLA!

Suzanne

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2010

Hi everyone, good to hear all the updates, and 2T- wow! I'm sorry you had to go back into surgery, but glad you didn't have to go a 3rd time.

Spring, yes, please update with my stats. Stage 1 unilateral mx with immediate GAP (hopefully...he said maybe DIEP instead), Dr. S, NOLA. Fairway Hospital.  

So it's getting close to time for us to head to NOLA later this week. Getting nervous, doing lots of cleaning and lots of yardwork. Getting scared about being away from my babies. :(  

My pre-op consults are all on Thursday 3/25, and then surgery at noon on Friday 3/26 at Fairway. Dr. S said (via Liz) that he'd like to do DIEP on me since I have extra tummy skin. I want GAP, since it's what I had before on the other side, and I had a good experience. Plus then I'd be evened out that way. I figure he can take care of the extra tummy skin at my stage 2. :) So hopefully he'll be happy to do the GAP. 

So here's a question I don't think I've seen covered. How did you all do immediately after waking up from your stage 1—regarding nausea? I have a terrible phobia of vomiting, and that is always my #1 fear & worry at every surgery I've ever had. I can take pain, but not being sick like that. I remember I felt very nauseated after my prior stage 1, but it calmed after they gave me more drugs and after a few hours. I'm very, very anxious about this now as I face the surgery again. I won't be at the same hospital this time and am hoping this one might have different prophylactic treatment for post-op nausea. But how did you all do- any nausea or vomiting at all? 

I'm also nervous since I don't have a diagnosis yet for the suspicious area in my breast; that will be biopsied, along with my SLN, with the mastectomy. So praying that it's not cancer, or at least, if it has to be, that it's non-invasive.  

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

2T- Im sorry to hear you had to go back into surgery.  But it is great to know they were right there for you.  Hope you are doing good today.  

Melinda- I hope your fiver is down. Is your Posy Op today?  let us know how you are doing.  

Welcome to the new Ladies...Camian- I hope your Biopsy is B9...Im sorry I dont recall who else it was that joined us & your post is a page or 2 back.   

Macksix- I hope my Stage 2 goes nice & easy.   So I was Ass*pirated on Thursday.  40 ccs.  I felt better for 2 hours (still had pain but way less)   by dinner my pain was 3 times what it was before my Aspiration. :( I am 4.5 Months out & I still have pain on both my back sides.  Anyone else that long.  Im getting tired of it & worried I will always have pain back there.  

Did everyone schedule a Post Op after stage 2? I dont have one...I leave on Sunday.  I had already made my flight reservations before I found out I had to stay til Monday if I wanted a Post op.  

Who hasnt had a Post Op ? ?  

How many think they will get their Tattoos local? I figure it will cost me $1500 with flight & hotel & Tatts ...So I am not sure I will do it there. : (

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Made it to the Hope Lodge last nite and this place is great!  Everything you need to be confortable.  I am glad I have a hotel for after surgery!  It would definately be a problem everytime you want something to eat or drink to come downstairs. 

Pre-op today along with Sally!  IT"S HERE!  AWWWWWW! 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Happy Birthday Cat!

Mar 23 - Cat - Stage 1, Bilaterial SGAP, NOLA (Dr. D.) St. Charles surgical.

Mar 23 - SallyM - Stage 1 PBM (BRCA 2) - NOLA. (Dr. ??) 

Mar 25 - Nordy - Stage 2 (Dr. S) - NOLA  

Mar 25 - BreastCancerDiva - Stage 2 (Dr. D) - St Charles Surgical Hospital, NOLA 

Good Luck to all of you this Week!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Camiam - I had no nausea at all after my Stage 1... I pray your biopsy is B9 but I can understand your anxiousness over the suspicious area.... how long will it take to get the results of that... will you get them while you are still in NOLA?  Did they say?

Hello - uh oh... on the post op.. I know you didn't want to stay in town that long... will they move it up for you?  I have to find my folder about my Stage 2... to check when my post op is... if there is one..

Cat - I felt the same way about the Hope Lodge... I think it's great before surgery... afterwards it seems tough to have to come downstairs for food or even a soda or coffee (no drinks/food in the room, although we did take water up there)... I would definitely recommend a hotel after surgery for that reason alone....

Re: Hot Flashes..... to anyone who has them (I had my ovaries removed in August).... did your hot flashes increase after your Stage 1 surgery.  My hot flashes were manageable and had gotten better and now they are 5x worse than ever.. ever since the surgery...  did anyone else experience worse hot flashes after surgery?