Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Trishia- Sending good thoughts for your Sister & B9

Good Luck to Cat & Sally today!

TrainerTam- Are you have Nips or  3D tatts...Just wondering since you are getting Tatts the day after your Stage 2.

I need to find some clothes for Stage 2.  I have nothing in my Closet that will work.

I think I am missing something from the previous page...I cant remember what I was going to say.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

We can all meet up at the Center on Monday and then head over to Zea for lunch.  Maybe you can arrive early, Nordy, and join us before your appointment.    I'm concerned about the busy morning.  Julie is going to have a LOT of questions for Dr. D.  I will try to help her with as many as possible on the flight in to NOLA, but I have a feeling that she is going to want more than 7.5 minutes with him.    Maybe he will pop in and out of the room, and see everyone else on schedule and then come back to her----I have NO idea how they are going to work that out!  Minn, as we are both scheduled at 9:00 a.m., I'm going to suggest that he see you first, so you can move on to your other pre-op stuff.  I'm stressing out just thinking about how that morning is going to go for everyone!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

I so have NOLA envy right now.  *sighs*  I really want to just fly down there. I was there 4 times last year and still have SO much more I want to do and see!  I never did any of the swamp or plantation tours!  

Thank you for the b9 wishes.  She has a diagnostic/enhanced mammo and US on Friday and will get her appt with the BS set up today.  She is going to ask for a biopsy for sure.  

Wishing all those coming up this week smooth, successful surgeries with speedy uneventful recoveries! 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Trishia~ HA!! So I am not the ONLY one with NOLA envy!! Seriously, I am thinking of catching a flight to NOLA just so I can meet everyone who will be there on the 29th!! It would be worth going just to eat at ZEA again!!  :) Thinking of your sister and hoping that all goes well!!

Regarding Fairway - although the food is horid, the compassion and care of the entire staff is incredible!! I would much rather have great care and bad food than the other way around!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

I'm sorry Holtbolt - I don't know where I got that! My brain is just not working at full capacity these days - well I'm glad you don't have to worry about those things anymore! LOL!

Sandy - And I will suggest to Dr. D that he take me first, too ;-]

All of you with NOLA envy- I get it! But now that I'm going for this surgery, I wish I weren't! LOL! You know you can always visit NOLA just for a vacation - we go every year, now, even when I'm not having surgery!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Okay I thought I was the only crazy one but it looks like we have a nice group.  I wish my stage 2 was sooner than the end of next month.  I wanted the beginning of April but no such luck :(

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Oh, and

March 29th - Minnesota - pre-op with Dr D - 9:00 - NOLA

LouAnn and Jaimie - we are all slightly crazy! More at some times than others. Now, I am loony tunes!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

The nurses at St Charles told me that the food was not good there when they first opened. They had to get the food from a nursing home that is nearby there and said it was just awful. Then they hired the private chef. He came by my room to introduce himself when I was there last time!! My husband and I both complimented him big time.

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

2tzus~ After the issues you have had you deserve getting the drains out sooner.

Okay Nipple questions:  Does the center every do grafting for nipples ??  Or just the twist and stitch ??  By the time I get there at the end of April I am going to have a list a mile long...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

I cannot BELIEVE March 29th!! Holy Cow!! If I have something wrong, let me know. I don't have the time in there for Sandy's appt with Julie. 

Mar 29 - Minnesota - pre-op with Dr D - 9:00 - NOLA

Mar 29 - Cat 1 - post-op Dr. D - 9:15 - NOLA

Mar 29 - Laughlines - Consultation w/Dr. D. 9:30AM, NOLA

Mar 29 - BC Diva - post-op Dr, D - 10:30 - NOLA

Mar 29 - AmyM159 - Consultation w/Dr. D. 11:30AM, NOLA.

Mar 29 - Nordy - post-op Dr. D/S - 1:15 - NOLA

Mar 29 - Sandy - Consult with Julie. NOLA. Dr. D., NOLA.

Mar 29 - Sueinfl - Stage 1 Bilateral DIEP or GAP, Dr. S, NOLA. Fairway Hospital.

Mar 30 - Minnesota - Stage 1 unilateral GAP, Dr. D, NOLA, St. Charles Surgical Hospital

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

Dang. Y'all lift a glass for me while I dine on the finest IV Fairway has to offer. Dr. S should just be finishing me up by the time you meet for lunch. Hopefully, he won't be late for your post-op, Nordy. 

Please remind me where everyone is meeting Sunday night for dinner. I will be at Hope Lodge without a car, but can find my way there.

I am thinking happy, healthy, healing thoughts for everyone this week, especially for your sis, Trisha. I so hope she doesn't have to join us.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

Cheering for Cat 1 and SallyM today, and Nordy and BreastCancerDiva tomorrow!

Trishia - more positive thoughts and prayers for your sis, and your whole family.

HoltBolt - I miss Lanita too, but I'll tell you I have talked to everyone in the NOLA insurance dept several times in the past month, and they have all sworn up and down that after the pre-surgical fee they will not bill us anything additional regardless of what the insurance company pays them. And they even suggested that if I don't believe them I should get "online" and double-check this with their former patients! I told them I was "online" already (like ten times a day, duh!)

Thanks for the Blue Cross feedback - it sounds like it will just depend on my plan. 

Okay, I just got my limo itinerary from Katie! Now off to start packing! 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010
    Banking on that Laughlines.  Smile  Anthem has already processed the first claim incorrectly.. just got off the phone with them.... lalalalalalalalalala ...I refuse to let insurance stress in right now.... putting the EOBs in a stack for now....
  • Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Springtime - Julie and Sandy are at 9, just like me!

Good luck Nordy and BCDiva!!!!! Cat and Sally, let us know how things went for you as soon as you're able!

Okay, I think that on the 29th, when each of us goes in to see Dr. D., we should all comment on what great shoes he has on! I'm assuming he will, because Springtime says he always has great shoes (personally, I've never noticed, as I'm always looking elsewhere - and then of course there's the projectile vomit incident by someone I will not name - she saw his shoes...) Anyway, this could become really weird for him by the time the 3rd and 4th person comments on his shoes! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA! But no one could tell him we planned it!  What do you think?

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

MInn. ~ He does wear the greatest shoes.  He did all my after care in the hospital and he came in with his boots on.  Yeah by the 3rd or 4th person he will be thinking that you are all weird....lol....

Wow Minn. I hope that Dr. D has enough energy on the 30th after looking at his schedule on the 29th I need a nap...lol...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Yes, like Jamie says, he has really cool boots and other Snake skin looking shoes with really pointy toes. Minn, just look down for a sec!!! 

I have updated the times above. I can't believe how many of you will be there at the same time! You will have so much fun!! There are free snacks in the waiting area. ha!  

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

That is such a Fun Idea Minn!

I heard they Cloned Dr D.

So some of you will get the real Dr D & Some will get the Clone.

maybe His shoes will hold a Clue as to Which is Which.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Okay, let me answer a couple of things before I talk about ins. stuff......I am NOT getting nips rebuilt, just 3D (I hope) tattoos with Donn. also, CAMIAM..was your nurse from hell named Teresa? If so, I would love to add your details to the investigation, that woman is going DOWN!!!

Scrapbook stuff, the book I bought has room for 30 pages. It is a new design they just came out with. The pre attached pages are actually protective sleeves and you can slip the 12 X 12 paper into the sleeve. But be aware, you can only see one side of the paper, there's a light devider in the middle of  the sleeve.Perfect for what we are doing!

Okay about Cigna....I had the opportunity to switch to any insurance at the end of last year, so I did a ton of research and calling the different ones and asking specific questions. Cigna IN THE SOUTH is the only one who may consider them IN network. I spoke to the Customer service supervisor for Cigna here in California. She looked into it for me and gave me the info.St. Charles and the Center is NOT in network for Cigna on the west coast. that is why I wound up going with BCBS and having top pay (30%)out of network. and that is also why they made me go to Oschner Baptist for the facility, they are IN network. (Perhaps not for long though!)

Lanita told me I would owe them $15,000. up front. At this point in time I have given them 5K and they have billed me the rest. My insurance is not even counting this towards my "out of pocket" because they JUST got the bill from Dr. D. BCBS has already paid Oschner $45,000.00 and I owe them my portion (10%) which I'm waitng till I hear how they handle my complaints. BCBS said they consider my deductable ($500.) and my out of pocket max ($15K) based on who gets paid first. so, at the end of the day I will be paying about $30 K...not counting whatever else Dr. D bills me for.  Like I said before, it was this or a new car, guess I'll be driving these new girls around for a while !!!Embarassed

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2010

Greetings

I had pre-op testing for stage 2 and was told by my primary that I have an elevated sed rate, which can indicate infammation, but other things as well. Sed rates often do rise after surgery, but mine was almost 3 months ago. Has anyone else been told they have an elevated sed rate after surgery?

Margit

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Minn - What an awesome funny idea!!!  I just hate I can't be there to participate.  You gals there enjoy and let us know how long it takes him to figure out what is going on. 

Trainertam - I so understand the insurance issues!  I had CIGNA, got changed to Anthem BCBS 1st of this year, so going crazy trying to figure out what is being paid and what I owe...<sigh>  We need an insurance fairy, huh?  Ah well....it is all worth it, right?  To beat the beast and have totally hot ta-ta's to boot??

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Okay you guys, get ready for this... I know of 2 MORE ladies who also have appts with Dr. D on the 29th! One is at 10:15, her name is Mary Jo (I met her thru FORCE) and I don't know when the second gal's is. Her name is Jen (also FORCE) and her surgery is the next day, just like mine, and only 3 hours after mine, tho we both have Dr. D!

Springtime - I will have to force myself to look down at those shoes, wasting precious seconds of  looking up!

Jaimie - I had the same exact thought - how exhausted is this poor man going to be by the time he gets to my surgery the next morning at 7! But I'll have 3 surgeons at work on me, so maybe they each rest occasionally!

Dejaboo - A clone! That's how he does it! Maybe one with a beard and one without. Or the shoe thing!

Tammy - You'll have bragging rights about having really, really expensive breasts! I think that my first breast may be the most expensive (per oz) in the world! Or at least I get tremendous satisfaction from thinking it! I have concluded this because I needed a stacked DIEP (which is like 2 flaps in cost, I think), and my insurance paid ALOT, and the resultant one breast is not very big, as it matches the other perfectly. A really sweet story about Dr. D (I like thinking about these positive things to offset my growing terror about what's coming up next week...) is that after, I think, my second stage, he found that they had none of the black lacy bras that were small enough for me. The nurse told me that he was quite chagrined (is this the right word? I'm too lazy to look it up) and told her to order two in my size immediately so that they would be waiting for me when I got home to Minnesota. And they were. Ya gotta love that man!

Sandy - maybe we should post the link to Irene's so people can get a sense of the menu and prices. I wonder if they'll have enough seating for us and if we'll be too wild! Another place I might suggest is Cafe Maspero - not at all fancy, but good local food, cheap, dollar strawberry margharitas (or is it daiquiris?), lots of seating, and we could be really rowdy. Let's make this really complicated and post links to several restaurants (anyone else have another place to suggest) and then let's vote. Or not. But I think at least maybe someone (Sandy?) should check about reservations for that many at Irene's. Should we try to get a head-count here? Me - 2.

And lets make the time not too early, because my plane comes in at 5:30. But if any of us are late, come anyway, because we can still talk, and have dessert, even if we miss dinner or something!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Sunday night dinner is at Irene's Cuisine in the French Quarter, and I really need a head count so we can make reservations by tomorrow if possible!  After dinner, we will take a very short walking tour to see the Jolie-Pitt and Nicholas Cage homes, and then wrap up the evening at Cafe du Monde with coffee and beignets.    Alaina, Nordy, Julie and I will be going on a swamp tour Sunday afternoon, so is 6:00 p.m. good for all of you?

LouAnn, it would be so awesome if you could join us on the 28th/29th!!!  Can you make that happen?   It would be great if you could meet Julie in person---she would love to be able to express her gratitude to you herself.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

You can count my head for Irene's too! Just one head.

And Minn - my plane lands at 5:30 on the 28th also so we'll both be fashionably late.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Minn, I didn't see your post until after I sent mine.  Alaina was hoping for an early dinner because she has to work very early the next morning.    We can always start with appetizers and order dinner once you arrive, if we have been seated by then.  Because Irene's is a small place, it's also a bit noisy and that makes it somewhat hard to chat.  Would we be able to hear each other at Cafe Maspero?

Cafe Maspero Menu  -- corner of Rue St. Louis and Rue Chartres

Irene's doesn't appear to have a web site, but here is a review

Let me know what you ladies want to do!  I'm doing my best to get at least seven hours of sleep each night, so I'm signing off and going to bed now.

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Sandy - LOL! I'm glad you hadn't seen my post because otherwise you were reminding me of someone else - "sorry, no." LOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a separate room/corner at Irene's that we could reserve?

Actually that's another Maspero's that you linked to. I've always wanted to go there but never have.  The Cafe Maspero I'm talking about is on Decatur and pretty big and I think talking would be possible. Ooh, it would be great if you could check these out ahead of time and let us know? When do you head out? We could all get your cell number to check on your decision? Or maybe I'm just making things way more complicated and stressful than the stress we already all feel! I know, ask Katie! She'll know. She knows everything!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/neworleans/D41542.html

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18172467-cafe-maspero-new-orleans

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

I would think that a Sunday night would be pretty quiet around the Quarter. Maybe we need to check if these places are even open!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

OMG!  I am again SO having NOLA envy.  Irene's ROCKS!  So so so yummy!!!

Grapevine on Orleans is fantastic, so is Bayonna.  I told my husband I was flying to NOLA on the Sunday so I could go to Zea's with everyone on Monday and then to Irene's.  

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

I would be too, Trishia, if I weren't going on this trip!   Join us!!!!  You can stay with me and Julie and her dog at the Marriott!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Minn, I'll call Irene's and ask.  Maybe they'll give us the room that Angie and Brad dine in. I just thought of something though.  Irene's restrooms are not the best for "show and tell", and that's how these dinners always culminate.    Julie would really like to see GAP results in person if possible.  I walked her through some of the photos on the Center's web site last night, but it would be helpful if she could see some scars which have faded a bit more. 

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2010

NOLA Ladies -- this is so cool!    I am here at the Homewood, the staff is as friendly as before, and I have my pre-op with Dr. D at 3:00.

I do not care where or what time dinner is on Sunday, but put me down for 2 of us.   My husband and I would love to join!    We had the great pleasure of dining with Springtime and her hubby when we were here in December (Spring - thank you again for all your work on this board and all your private messages.... oh, and the Farmville gifts!).    

Rumor has it that Emeril is cooking this month in his restaurant on Tchoupitoulas..... Just got reservations there for tonight at 6:15!

Thank you all for your good wishes.    I can't wait to meet everyone!

Robyn