Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Ladies you were certainly right about Katie, got my confirmation for my flight today She also worked to get my aunt on the same flight as my mom and me.. I am finally calming alittle now that things are coming together. Unfortuately I have to fly out of Syracuse which is an hour and half away. I am a little nervous about the ride home after surgery. I know some of you have drove instead of flown. Any suggestions?  I am  a little worried about leaving my son, He is staying with his father but at 13 sometimes they just butt heads. Today my son informed me he wanted to talk to me about his grades. OH NO like I need another thing to worry about. Mind you this is from a boy who usually has a 92 average. Needless  to say the Xbox is now in my bedroom closet.. LOL  This time next week I will be on my way to recovery. As will Cat

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt, this leg thing sounds like perhaps a compressed nerve in your back? Got to make sure it's not a blood clot, though! Get it checked out ASAP!

Anniese did great in surgery, thanks to no scopolamine patch this time. I'm sure she'll post soon!

I'm contemplating 3D tats this fall, since I doubt I'll have any more surgery. Even though that could be an option for my area of fat necrosis (grafting once only made it harder, unfortunately.) I'm going to see what mother nature can do over time, as I am loathe to have another stage 1 (don't think it's that profound a problem, like some others) and I don't want to have further lipo at this time, either. (Maybe next year...)

Anne

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt - Do have this checked out. It sounds more like an impingement - either at the lumbar/sacral spinal level or irritation of the sciatic nerve - often due to compression by the piriformis muscle. (The sciatic nerve runs either under the pirirformis or through it, depending on how your anatomy is.)  Indeed - you need to see your local MD to rule out other causes, but then a visit to a good orthopedic PT - or at least one who has some experience with back/nerve injuries is indicated. Good luck to you.

Any suggestions on attire this time of year for NOLA? Summer was easy... 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Good luck!  You are going to do great! So glad to hear that Melinda is doing so well.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt- Please do see you PCP today & find out about this pain.  Id call NOLA too.  

Glad to hear Melinda is doing good & her Mom is feeling better about this!  Will be better when they head to the Hotel if she is more on board.  

2tzus- Good Luck today! We road the street car in between appts.  Got off early to head to the center for my Dr Appt.  Ended up being too early- Dr was in Surgery late- so we sat around for 3 hrs. Its hard to time it right!  

Anne- thanks for the update on Anniese

• phoffa
    phoffa Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010

NOLA ladies-did anyone use the "assets" brand of compression garments from Target after stage 1 or 2 from sgap?  I have my stage 2 coming up in South Carolina and i was just curious how these compare to the spanx.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Breast News!

11 days ago I was facing a DIEP to replace a delayed failed Flap.  My Flap felt like a wood Block Cemented to my chest.    

So I decided I was going to do Massive Vigorous Massage on my 18 week old flap.  And that is what I did.  I squeezed & pushed hard every which way on my Left side 20+ times a day.

My Thumb & wrists were screaming in pain from all the massaging.   (I have De Quervains Disease)

4 days later I noticed a tiny soft spot.  Was I imagining it?  I didn't think so.  I massaged away each day & 2 days after that my Left Flap now felt like a Breast!

I continue to massage it just as hard & just as much. There is still a lot of Fat Necrosis in there.  But it does not feel like the same breast that it was only 1 week ago. 

It is Back to Jiggling!  Something it has not done for 2 months.

I am amazed & so is my dh...Even my dd is surprised- as I had to show her the change too!  She did not want to massage it for me though- LOL  :P   

I do think the Massage is what did it.  If it was time- It would not have softened so much- so fast.

I am now scheduled Only for Stage 2!!    Smile

Please remember that I started this 4 months after my stage 1.  I would not recommend this to Anyone who is only 6-8 weeks out.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Oh Pam I am SOOOO, SOOOO Happy for you.  I hope lefty continues to soften and that you continue to see nothing but good changes.  Sorry you hands and wrist hurt so bad but at least you got great results from your pain. 

I got the go ahead yesterday for starting Marderma cream to help with the scars.  I was told not to use it on the backside scars because they will be opening them up in stage 2.  I was a little shocked about that.  I knew that my bunny would most likely be leaving but I didn't expect for them to open the incision.  Not sure what I was thinking, I believe I was in denial.....  I like it there....  I am just worried about the JP drains....

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Pam, that's the most awesome news I've heard in a long time!! Sounds like you just needed to stimulate the blood flow and break up some necrosis or scar tissue. Given how you keloid externally, it only makes sense that you get funky scarring on the inside, too. Whatever it is/was, I'm thrilled for you!!

Anne

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Updated from Melinda's FB

Mindy actually called me around 7:30 this evening (yea), and she is doing great. She sounds good and said she is feeling fine. She is on some good drugs, so I'm sure that helps!!! She said as soon as she is able to get on her laptop she will update her status and let everyone know how she is doing! GOOD NEWS!!!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Pam that is great!!! Good for YOU GIRL!!  Maybe I should try that on my hard spot, I will! what the heck.

2t - you will keep your areola! :)  It's not so bad, really. Still will look and feel like you. 

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Pam, that's awesome!  I'm so glad you won't have to replace it now! 

Melinda - glad your doing good! 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Phoffa...Yes, I used the brand Assets from Target after my stage 1 and I just had stage 2 and will use it again next week after I get rid of the dominatrix outfit. It worked great for me!

Pam....Wonderful news! I have worried about you all week!

Jamie...yes, Dr S re-opened my hip scar and as of right now, looks just like it did after stage 1. Once the glue comes off, I am sure it will look good. But I do not have a drain there, only one from my breast. During pre-op consult, he thought he might have to put a drain on my hip, but for some reason he didn't,so  I didn't complain. lol

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2010

great news Pam! you give me hope... my hard one just softened up a little yesterday too. It's like it just gave up being hard, all of a sudden.  Only in one spot, mind you.  The most annoying hardness is still there (makin my cleavage crooked... grrr).  But I've been massaging gently and it does seem like some of the smaller nodules are gone, and the hardness is *mostly* spongy now. There may be a few rocks in there when all is said and done, but I have more hope now that it's going to pull through just fine (again).

Let us know what happens at stage 2!  Waiting with bated breath.  (And tell Dr. M Brenda in Chicago says hi).

-Brenda

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Pam!  YAYAYAYAYAY!  That is awesome!!! 

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Pam I just have to jump in and say FANTASTIC!!!!  What GREAT news!  That is really huge and I'm very happy for you!

Hope all of you at NOLA are doing great too!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Just a qucik hello to all the NOLA gals this week. those of you staying elsewhere and need to be picked up, aren't the Limo drivers THE BEST! they are professional, personable, informative of the surroundings and just the sweetest most caring men I've ever met. They treat each woman like she is a princess being delivered!

Also, those who are at the Center this week, don't forget to take a peek at the book on the table while you are waiting.

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010

Pam- Oh my- great news and fingers crossedSmile Dr Allen has said that although "necrosis" means dead -the necrosis actually has a blood supply.

Nordy-hope your Dad is well soon

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Pam, that is fantastic!!!

I got good news too - down to 1 drain!  I got Jeanine to send me the surgical notes from the times I have had to go back, and I was wrong - they did take latissumus muscle when they fixed the right side.  I think most of the issues are due to my radiation on that side, and the fact that I had pretty bad rad burns.  Anyway, things are looking better. One drain left, and the blood blister on the bottom half of the breast is getting better. 

Trainertam- you are definitely right about the drivers! If any of you ladies in NOLA have Glenn as your driver, tell him one of his "Southern Belles" say hi, and hope his daughter is doing well!

Ladies, good thoughts and prayers are with you all!!!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

It's official. Surgery is Monday the 29th. It was the only time Dr. S could fit me in w/o delaying another month and they (me, too!) prefer not to put that many weeks between chemo and bimx. The only pain is having to drive in Friday for the pre-op because Fairway can't take responsibility for another facility's blood-typing/cross-matching. Knowing I will not be able to sleep otherwise, I will drive back home and return Sunday. Katie booked me for Hope Lodge until my post-op on the 4th. My daughter, Katy, flies in on Thursday to check me out and stay with me. I will be on my own in the hospital. Did anyone have any problems at Fairway with the care? I don't remember reading anything bad except maybe the food.

Pam, I was so happy to read your good news. Is there a general consensus as to when to start working on hard areas?

I am going to be w/o transportation while at Hope, so I am sorry I will probably miss meeting people. Cat, Sally, Nordy, Diva- I will probably still be under while you are checking out. Frown Eve, are you staying at the Hope after surgery?

Now that the dates are finally settled, I am going to give myself permission to veg out until next Monday when I will put my travel kit together. This morning was spent in tears when the reality of the whole thing hit me. I am so grateful for all of you. 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

still hopped up on drugs so am not very coherent currently but I am ecstatic so far, with the care, the hospital, the results- everything!

I met Anniesie on monday and she was awesome, met Marthe on Tues annd she was awesome. Plus my mom is going on about how cool this place is and I think we've turned a corner with that so yay!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Melinda thrilled to hear from you. I am glad your Mom has changed her mind I thought she would come around.

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Sue - I wonder if anyone there will have a car??? (Okay, I am not much help, because I know I won't...) But I will be sorry to miss you!

Okay, so post-nip girls - WHAT should I be planning to wear after my surgery? I think you guys have said no bras (which I don't really love - because I love a good bra!!!). What kind of shirts did you wear? I don't have a ton of loose fitting shirts... or at least none that I really like, so am just trying to figure out what I can bring to wear without looking like the cone-breasted version of Madonna! Help!

Pam - I am so glad to hear that your breast has softened up even more! I do believe that massaging the area on my left breast has helped it to soften immensely... but I was never too worried about it for some reason. Now, it is the tiny area on my right breast that I worry about because it was my cancer side! And believe me, it is the smallest little area... go figure!

Melinda - SO happy to hear you  are doing well and on the other side of this! woooohooooooo!!!

2T - hope your surgery is going well!

Anniese - You KNOW I am thinking about you!

Stephanie - it is YOU tomorrow! 

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Oh, Jaimie - I meant to tell you - I have been looking for a good sports bra as well... heaven knows I have never had this size breasts before! I think I found a good one at REI. (I have to run into REI and see if they have it in the store - so I haven't actually tried it yet!) It is the underarmour Endure C and comes in a bunch of different colors. I know that some people that have reviewed have said that they like it better than the D one and it provides good support for D cups too. It is not cheap... :(  - but I figure I would like the "girls" to not drift south soon so if I am going to be running I had better support them! Which reminds me that my family made a joke - that when my new breasts start to sag someday, I can just tell people that they are trying to get back "home"... :)

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2010

I stayed at Fairway for both my prior surgeries and the nurses I had were great!  You call for someone and they are right there taking care of you.  I wouldn't worry about being there by yourself, I am sure you will be well taken care of.

• Springtime
    edited March 2010

Sue, i will add your 29th date above.

Steph, thinking of you girl!

Melinda! yay!!! good to hear from you girl!  Glad to hear maybe Mom has "seen the light"??? Let's hope she stays positive. Will make it nicer for you! Glad you seem happy....

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

A couple of questions to the NOLA veterans... how long did you wear the black bras they gave you?  I am 3 weeks out and wondering when I can switch to another type of sports bra, and which one I should switch to.  My skin has become hypersensitive and the bras I am wearing from the Center feel like sandpaper, especially the band.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!  I am going to go shopping this weekend and as soon as I hit the 4 week mark, I'd like to switch to another bra.

Also I wore a pair of jeans with just cotton underwear underneath and by the time I got home my ab incision was really irritated, I guess from the rubbing back and forth.  Any suggestions on how to prevent this other than wearing a binder?

Thanks!

Suzanne

• Springtime
    edited March 2010

Suzanne, you can switch to another bra now! I think they say 2 weeks around the clock. I know what you mean. I personally went through period where I could wear NO bra. Now I use these really soft 'barely there" bras. I am still in those - 3+ months out! I get super sensitive skin too. It does get better. 

About the Jeans, I am still in Yoga pants!  

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

BRA- You can change to a non-underwire bra now. Your only restriction is related to underwires - can't wear those till after week 6, or until checking with the doctor.

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

Thanks Spring and KC.  Spring, I remember you had the very sensitive skin too, and I find it gets worse with time instead of better!  Jeanine told me I had to wear this bra for 4 weeks, but maybe since it's so irritating it would be okay for me to go ahead and get a different type now.  If you know of any specific brands, I'd love any suggestions. 

Thanks a lot!

Suzanne