Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Margit, how wonderful for you!  Thanks for sharing!   I didn't have implants but the flaps my first surgeon made were very flat, and now when I look down at cleavage and round breasts, I think that what Dr. D did for me is pretty miraculous.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

Margit - Yes to feel normal... isn't it amazing? I have to agree with the hug thing! I love hugging now! (Well, maybe again in a month when the nipple guards are off!)

Arnica - The strength they recommended at Whole Foods for post surgery is the 200c. The kind I have is Boiron Arnica Montana 200ck. You can find it on Amazon for pretty cheap if it is not sold near you. 

Minnesota - Glad to hear you are getting out and having fun! I am also glad you did not hurt the new girl catching beads!!!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010
    've had a pretty long weekend- Friday night my temp got up there and I was having problems breathing deeply (which I am assuming is because of pulling muscles from sleeping so weirdly) and I called NOLA. Dr T was great but wanted me to go to the ER to test for a UTI and to get a chest xray to rule out any issuees with the lungs. So I drove myself to the ER by myself Fri night. Long story short- nothing is wrong with me just a shit ton of pain in my back.

They gave me some muscle relaxers but they put me out immediately so I cant take them all the time.

Today I tried on the girdle and the binder because I know my last drain should be pulled within the next week or so. Ok- so the binder doesnt fit at all- and that says one size fits all. The girdle allllmost fits- but it would be so tight to wear 24/7, i think im going to call them and ask for the next biggest size of that. I'm supposed to wear that thing for a full week 24/7 after the drain is pulled? Im freakin dreading that.

I've seen posts in passing on here about spanx and stuff like that- but this thread is so hard to go back and find stuff lol! Were the spanx for after the girdle? for how long? ANd were they the high waisted panties or more of a body shaper?

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

(((Deja))) (((Margit))) good luck!!!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010

Laughlines - Thanks for posting the video - WOW! After my diagnosis last January, I had the genetic test, and tested positive. After speaking with the genetic counserlor, we thought it would be a good idea to have both of my brothers tested as well~as they both have daughters. (My daughters are still a bit young to be tested) - One brother tested positive, one tested negative. Because Myriad had already 'identified' the mutation in my DNA, the cost to get my brothers tested was 1 10th the cost of my test ($400 for each brother) - the cost will be the same when my daughters get tested.

It is sad to me that even in regards to health issues - so much is 'profit driven' by our society. It will be interesting to follow the outcome of this story........Thanks again for sharing!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010
    Melinda~ I 'graduated' to the spanx (or Assets brand at Target) after the dom outfit - I bought the type that went from the mid thigh to the upper waist. They are very tight as well, and after struggling to get them on and off I ended up cutting the crotch out to make my trips to the bathroom easier! Tongue out
  • mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

One week until I leave..I haven't packed anything or even made a list..OMG, I'm getting so stressed.

Still battling the lab results. My goofball PCP got my second UA, didn't know what to do with it and disgarded it. No phone call..no nothing..I'm so frustrated..

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Good News The breast tissue that was taken during the mastectomy all came back benign. Now I just need to worry/deal with what to do about the nipples Prayers to all

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010

Yay Sally!!! That is great news!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2010

Great News Sally!

Mileha- I hope they get your Stuff all figured out.

Thanks for the Good Luck Wishes Holtbolt!

Good Luck Margit my Surgery Buddy!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

Laughlines, I added you above!

Up next!

Apr 8 - Dejaboo (Pam) - Stage 2, NOLA.

Apr 8 - Margit - Stage 2 SGAP, Dr. R., Hopkins

Margit, I didn't have implants but for a few months and never really got used to them. It is amazing to hear your journey!!! :) 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Good Luck Pam and Margit.  Pam are you in NOLA now ?? 

Sally~ Glad to hear that everything was fine. 

Mileha~ I started packing ahead of time and just stopped for some odd reason.  I then thru everything in the bag at the last minute...lol...

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Jaimie - Pam flies in tomorrow - gets here around 4.

Pam - I'm so excited to be finally getting to meet you! I call you after you get in and we can figure where to meet and eat, etc.!

Margit - Good luck and thanks so much for sharing your story. It's so fascinating and amazing!

Sally - Yeah on your results!

Melinda - Sorry you had to deal with that stuff!

Nordy - Well I'm still a little worried. The derriere drain is putting out loads, but it has lightened in color dramatically. The breast drain is putting our way less than the derriere one, but is bright red. Did any of you have the breast drain bloodier than the GAP one?

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Oh, we just got back from seeing Charmaine Neville at Snug Harbor. What a great show! And only $15!

For lunch, we went back to a restaurant we had visited on an earlier stay. I think I had read about it in New Orleans Magazine. It's called Cafe Reconcile, and I didn't realize it's only 4 blocks from the Center! This place is staffed by youth  who've had a rough start in life, and everything is supervised. It trains them for future jobs in the restaurant industry or I suppose any job, really. The food is excellent and extremely inexpensive. It's a little off the beaten track, but the cab driver said it was totally safe to walk from there on up to St. Charles to catch the streetcar. Lots of construction is occurring on that stretch, so lots of folks around. Didn't feel in anyway dangerous,. I think gentrification is underway...

I think of all the times we've patronized Zia's, which I love, but we could also have been giving Cafe Reconcile some of our business! From the Center, you walk thru their parking lot, thru the gate and turn left on that same street that runs by the right side of the hospital (standing facing the hospital from St. Charles). The street has a really weird name - Euterpe. And you walk 3 blocks, heading away from St. Charles to where it intersects with Oretha Haley Blvd, and the restaurant is across that street and on the right corner. Great local food and comfort food including baked chicken with loads of sides (you get 2 with your meal) or u could just order sides. My husband loves their side order of macaroni! Their banana bread pudding is amazing! Ther hours are limited to lunch time, I believe. Not sure if open every day. It would be easy to ask Katie to give them a call or maybe she already knows.

Also, we explored across St, Charles from the Center. There's a little cupcake and praline bakery - you can get a bag of small pralines for $10 -you see it from the hospital - it's fancier than it looks. And a bar that looks pretty nice. I was thinking that some of the husbands could go over there to get a beer, if they needed a break, and then they could bring back pralines for their wives! Also, we just explored a few blocks on that other side of St. Charles. Interesting neighborhood with homes being or having already been renovated and a lovely little park as well. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

Sally,  I was not convinced about nipples myself, but then decided to do it.  What made a difference for me was Dr S's explanation that under the cored out nipple was not breast tissue, but abdominal tissue, so if there were some kind of cancer noted related to the areola/nipple, it couldn't spread quickly, as with breast tissue, and it could be taken off easily since it would be superficial and localized.  My primary concern then, and now, is that it's a new enough procedure that there are not studies representing hundreds of women over 10-20 years proving its safety.  Dr S told me of data they have collected with either 50 or 100 women, and those data are pretty good.  Looks like about a 5% recurrence rate is what they are seeing.  You might want to talk to the Center, though, in case my statistics are not accurate.  They've got them, since it is their own study, I believe.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Pam...we are all rooting for you! Special prayers today that the pre-op consult can give you piece of mind and you can enjoy the rest of the day exploring with your dh...Let us know how things are going when you get a chance.

Best of luck too Margit--safe travels--I never had an implant--but I also needed to adjust to a more normal body. My three signposts are that I can BREATHE much better (who knew I needed the breast weight to help my rib cage expand???) and my second signpost was the same as yours--hugs! Amazing--I don't hurt people anymore and they feel good to me too! And finally...well use your imagination girls!  I couldn't be happier with the difference in that department!

To everyone still recovering...be gentle on yourself--it gets better with time. I'm 5 weeks out today and sleeping so much better. I'm even going to a dance class today. Last time I was still punk at 10-12 weeks but I finally got back to a very livable new normal.  Even with the roller coaster of flap failure and 3 Stage I's I can honestly now say it was worth it! Praise God!

Sara

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Pam~ I hope all your travels go smoothly. 

Sara~ I am so glad that things are going great and you are starting to feel better.  I hope it keeps getting better everyday. 

Minn.~ My butt drain changed colors REALLY quick but was still putting out a lot of fluid.

3 weeks until I get on the plane....I always feel like I have a ton of time and then the dates kinda sneak up on me .

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2010

Okay, I am never going w/o my laptop again. There is just too much to catch up on and post after a whole week!

First, my hearfelt thanks to Alaina (bbmom) for picking me up to have dinner w/Sandy, Diva, Laughlines, Nordy, Eve, and assorted dh's Sunday night. You all helped me sleep so much easier that night. Now I can join you for the next flash session.  ;->

The limo ride w/James to Fairway was wonderfully relaxing. The Center really knows what it is doing. Met w/Dr. S and confirmed my HIP procedure and upgrade to D's (without going Pam Anderson). Met w/Dr. L and confirmed waiting on the SNB to proceed. If pos., we were going to go w/implant and rads. Was in the OR by 8:30, I think. Postop was the usual wonderful blur. I had Julie who was the sweetest. She even came up to visit me over the next few days. That night was check the doppler every hour, so no sleep. My nurse, Laurie, kept apologizing and I kept saying stop apologizing for doing your job! She really was great.

Tuesday wasn't so fun. When I had been moved up to the second floor after surgery, the bed had been jostled and I tasted something weird in the back of my throat. I told Julie I was going to be sick NOW and they got a pan to me in time. I had the same problem Tuesday. I was pretty sure it was the OnQ balls because I had not been given the pump yet. Between the two of them, either the room was spinning or I was urping despite anti-emetics and a scope(?) patch. They finally clamped off the OnQ's and I stopped using the pump. By dinner time, I was able to keep down some chicken soup,my other nurse, Irma, brought me. (Marthe, I never met Taja, but Irma told me she was her daughter and passed along your hello!). Irma was the best. Talk about gentle and patient, especially with my shower the next day.

I never was given a dominatrix after surgery. I asked, but was told they normally did that during postop and they were not given one for me. I got to see the shark bites the first time I got to pee by myself Wed. Wow. Having lots of extra back there really made the incisions and dog ears stand out. I was afraid to pull down the bra and so didn't get a good look at the new girls. It wasn't until after I got back to my room at Hope Lodge on Thursday that I could really see them. From laying in bed and looking down, they pretty much looked like my old ones, even with the right a little larger than the left. When I finally looked at them standing up, I thought Whoa! Cool! I've got my D's all right. You go, Dr. S!

My only problem post-op after the nausea was being given one too many anti-coagulant shots. Not good! Only one every 24 hours! One nurse apparently couldn't tell the difference between 12am and 12 pm. By the time I realized the mistake, it was time for another shot Wednesday night that the nurse insisted I have because she had the order in her hand. I should have refused it, but wasn't in condition. The result ended up being scary bleeding under the skin between the breasts and under my arms by Thursday afternoon. I called Katie Friday morning and she sent a car for me and my daughter, Katy, who had arrived Thursday morning to check me out of Fairway. Celeste and Stacy took care of me. They gave me a dominatrix, showed us how to pad everything, took blood to check my PT, and were such a huge help. I finally felt like I had the treatment everyone raves about at the Center. I left feeling much better.

The driver was Ralph. On the way to the Center, he gave us the history lesson/tour of our lives just driving down St. Charles. After the Center, he asked if there was anything else we needed to do before heading back. It was lunchtime by then and I asked if he knew where there was any good take-out. He asked what we had in mind and I had to mention beignets for Katy's sake. Ralph called in to ask if there was any rush and was given the go ahead. He took about a half hour touring up and down the streets, filling us in on all the local color and history. We were blown away. When he finally pulled up to the Cafe du Monde, there was at least a 30 minute long line out front. He asked Katy to come with him, introduced her to his personal friend and she was back in the car in five minutes with a fresh order. Talk about service... (PS, we had Glenn on the way back from the hospital and gave him all of your best. His daughter is doing well...)

By the time Ralph dropped us off at the Lodge, Katy and I were in love with New Orleans and New Orleanians. The next day we called a cab to go to lunch, and Thomas was just as nice! I finally know why all of you keep wanting to go back. With NOLA only a three hour drive, I will be back every chance I get.

This has taken me all morning to get caught up and compose. It is time to move. I am sorry for such a novel.

Eve, my proffy drain started showing a little dark red yesterday so did not get pulled. Same with today. By the way, what the heck is a quick shower? I haven't made it under 40 minutes yet between stripping/measuring drains and squeezing back into the dom!  lol

Best wishes to Pam and Margit this week.

Betty, I just read a post by a woman who was going on 17 years w/bones mets. Keeping you in my heart and thoughts.

Holtbolt, congrats on drainfree!

Cam, congrats on SNB's. Mine turned out to be positive for micromets upon further exam, but secondary nodes were clear and margins are clean. I will call tonight and we will get together when one of us starts driving again.

Trisha, fantastic pic! Any word yet?

2Tzus, I am going for 4 months. Put me down for July 30, Stage 2 w/Dr. S.

Hugs to everyone...

Sue

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

WOO HOO! Got my last drain out!  I feel like I've been freed!  No issues, doing good! 

Sally great to hear! 

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010

Wait, Cat.. really?  A bilateral SGAP two weeks ago and you just pulled your last drain?  Wow.. awesome... they told me minimum 3 weeks on the drains... I had one for 3 weeks and 2 days and the other one for 5 weeks 2 days...(bilat SGAP here too) You are super fast!!!  Go celebrate and buy a cute shirt.. that's what I did.. LOL  Yay on the "no issues"!!

I developed a blister so now I'm back on antibiotics... a blister on the bottom of lefty near the incision... had no idea it was there until lit burst and bled.  Strange... since we can't feel much, we need to check them out alot I think... don't think I was looking all that closely... my bad... I also haven't been picking off my glue.. and was told by 6 weeks most people have gotten theirs off and that I should make the effort... lol.. guess I'm grossed out and avoiding stuff like that.... but I pulled two big pieces off today and turns out the incision line is MUCH better to look at! :)  So.... that's my goal by Friday... no glue...  Laughing

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

I need some recomendations for food while we are there? Hubbie and I are planning on going out to eat the night before. I talked to Sally and she said no solids or liquids after midnight? My surgery is starting at 6am. Does that sound correct?

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010
    Pam and Margit.....Good luck to both of you this week!!
  • amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2010

I am just back from vacation and getting a chance to post. Sandy, Nordy, Laughlines, Julie and BCDiva, it was SO wonderful to meet all of you. What a fantastic group of women. The spirit of support, kindness and generosity I felt has been hard to explain to my family and friends. The consult with Dr D was also great, and any hesitation I had about having this surgery is gone (for now anyway:) I am planning to schedule it for November as I have lots of family and work things to do before then. I hope this thread is still going strong then since I certainly want to be in touch with others who will be there then.

Jamieh, I don't know if you got your financial thing worked out, but I wanted to tell you I made my own arrangements with Cappy last week and she said a new person will be taking over that part of her job.  So maybe that's who you talked to and she's not quite with the program yet! Cappy was wonderful.

Amy

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Girls Jeanine called me on Friday and I mentioned that my stomach incision is like black as well as under my breast, she said send her pics and she would call monday. She didnt call so I called her at 4;30 tonight and she said to send more pictures and that he will probably want me to come back. and redo... I thought OMG can I do this again to everyone involved. I'll do what I have to do but I am scared and nervous. Ladies with your drains did you have a lot of "gunk" in your tubes and it stuck trying to go into bubble (to big for the hole), it is not like it is a clot but it is "matter" Thanks

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Oh Sally--I'm so sorry things aren't looking so great...If you end up needing a redo (as I did) know that we can handle a lot more than we think we can...I too hated to gear up the support systems for another trip and recovery--but people who love us want to do whatever it takes...This recovery from the "do-over" was also a lot easier and end result sooo much better I am happy to at long last say that it was worth it...I hope you get good news tomorrow, but whatever the news we all are pulling for you.

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Sally - I hope everything turns out okay for you. This may be a stupid question, but is it not the glue with dried blood underneath it that is making it look black??? (Its okay, you can tell me if it is a stupid question!) Positive thoughts headed your way! Also - it is not unusual to have "chunks" of stuff in your drains - hence the reason they have you strip them - to keep them clear and increase that suction affect! Just keep stripping and as long as they are still collecting fluid in the drains, you should be okay!

Sarah- you be careful at that dance class!!!

Amy - It was wonderful meeting you too! I hope your kids aren't too scarred from all the breast talk! :)

Minnesota - my butt drains from stage 1 took forevvvvveeeeerrrrrrr to stop draining - so don't be surprised if that area puts out a little more fluid than your belly did last time. I have been told (and asked Dr. D on the ask the Dr. site) that the buttocks just tend to produce more fluid and the bigger the flap and the higher up - also more fluid. Also, some people just produce more. 

Holtbolt - I am not 100% sure, but I think Cat ended up w/DIEP, hence the drains coming out sooner - but am sure she will chime in here to let you know for sure!

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Sue - I am SO glad you are doing well! It was a pleasure to meet you! Scary stuff with the anticoagulants, but I am so glad that everything turned out okay. Keep healing!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2010

Nordy,  I had diep and even after having my drains put back in (stage 1-1/2) after they came out too early....I never did get down to the level to be able to pull them...  Had to pull them at 8 weeks even though the last one was still putting out more than 20cc, and same thing happened after this last Stage 1-3/4 (lol)  So some of us are definitely just "juicier"  Congrats to those those finished and good luck to those coming up!

They also cleaned off a lot of black stuff at the time they put my stomach drains back in, so it is not always a big deal, Sallym, if you have to go back for that...don't worry till you know for sure what is going on, k?

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

Sueinfl: I wish the Dr's didn't have to use any other hospital but their own. It seems like there is always somehting funky happening (my nurse from Hell almost killing me) and now you!!!

I love the drivers they use! Glenn is THE Historian and a fabulous driver. Ralph is a super sweety too, loved them all! We made the mistake of going across town on our own the last night and taking a regular cab....scary! I don't recommend it to any of the gals.

glad you had a good experiewnce AFTER they brought you into their fold!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

For anyone looking for a nice medium support compression garment, I found one that I really like.  It protects the upper abs without squeezing too tight and it's very thin and stretchy--just what I was looking for--comfy but does the trick.  I ordered my normal size.  It's item A94102 on qvc.com.

Hope everyone is having a nice day!