Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010

SallyM~sorry to hear of your challenges - keep the faith, it will all work out!  As far as the 'gunk' coming out of the drains, I had that as well, and from what I understand, it is normal. If the gunk was clogging the drain when I was trying to empty it I would put the cap back on the drain and 'shake it up' and swish it around. This usually dislodged the gunk and I was able to get the drain cleaned out. I hope this helps!!

Pam and Margit~ Good luck this week!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Talked with Jeanine today and Dr D is going to monitor the incision every day. He thought the pics from Friday looked better Tuesdays so he is keeping an eye on it and she said I will probably have to go back for him to "clean it up" I have an awful lot of open sores where blisters tape etc were. Also isnt this pain suppose to decrease? around my belly button and incision hurts awful. They have me taking 2 pain pills instead of the 1. It has got to get better I do love my flat stomach though LOL Just getting a little down  because I thought I would feel better than I do at 2 weeks out. Take Care all[

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Be gentle on yourself Sally--my first time round I felt HORRIBLE at two weeks--I kept trying to be a trooper--especially when I'd read about women who were galavanting around sight seeing in NOLA. I had planned on riding in a car on the way home. My sweet dh flew a girlfriend down--flew us back and drove 11 hours by himself because he said there was no way he would put me through it. It did get better, but it was slow. My third stage I in March went MUCH better--and my abdominal scars were cleaned up and look and feel better at 5 weeks than they did at 4 months. They will definitely get you taken care of.  I wish it was faster--but the best advice I got from this thread is to remember it is a process. You are in my prayers.

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2010

Hi Ladies:  Looks like I am one of the next ones in line!  Today was my last day at the office - and then I fly to Charleston to see Dr. M on Friday for my pre-op appointments (April 9).  Surgery (bilateral SGAP) is Monday morning!  This is a delayed reconstruction for me (5+ years) - with no prior attempts - I have done a ton of research over the 5 years and know this is the very best option for me.  I feel very blessed that everything fell into place and that this is actually happening!  I am also thankful for this website - I have met many wonderful women and feel a great sense of calmness as I go into surgery.  Take care all and I will keep you posted.  Liz

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

Liz - good luck and we will be thinking about you.

Margit and Pam - All my positive energy and thoughts are with you at this time. Lots of prayers for all to go well tomorrow. ((((hugs)))

Pam - I hope your pre-op went well and you are having a sense of peace. Please update us when you can. 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Pam and Margit hope all goes well with your surgery and sending healing prayers your way.

Good luck ladies.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

((({PAM)))) (((((MARGIT))))sending you lots of positve and healing energy!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Wishing Pam and Margit all the best for their surgeries!  Please check in when you can. 

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2010

Well, Ladies, I'm excited to be able to welcome Liz into Charleston, The Holy City! I will update you next week after her wonderful transformation. Can't wait to meet her!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

2tzus, they said you can sleep on your side at 3 weeks?  I thought 6 weeks was the all-clear for side sleeping.  I'm 6 weeks out and still sleeping on my back with pillows!!  LOL!!  Then again, I'm comfortable on my back so it's okay.

I still use compression for my upper abs.  I still have some swelling/hardness there and at the end of the day I notice it even more.  Finding the right garment for me was key to being comfortable while still achieving the amount of compression that I need.  And I find that the swelling is different depending on the time of day and what I've done that day.  I commend you for sleeping in the binder...I tried, but I just couldn't do it!

The time passes so quickly and before you know it, you'll be looking at stage 2! :-)

Suzanne

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2010

Good morning, Sisters. Just got back from a 1/2 mile walk. It really helps to move. The only thing I have to watch is not sitting too long afterwards or everything tightens up again...bigtime!

Eve, I am still having dark red drainage from my rt/proffy breast. I think it is similar to what Cam was going through. My rt is definitely larger/more swollen than my left with lots of bruising. I think the drain just happens to be near a hematoma. I am going to call Celeste to see if there is anything I should watch out for, but, otherwise, it's fine. I am very right handed and think that might be "aggravating" it some.

At 11 days out from surgery, I am down to Vicodin in the afternoon and before bed. As soon as the anti-coagulant issue seems resolved, I will switch to ibuprofin. Geez, I miss Advil. I haven't been able to use it since I started chemo in Nov. I am still napping once and sometimes twice a day. The most stressful thing is not being able to do hardly anything around the house. It's really boring! Okay, I am one of those strange people that find housework relaxing, at least compared to the college classes that I have been taking the last four years. I love any activity that is wonderfully mindless.  (I guess that would explain watching American Idol...)

I have noticed how important my diet is with this recovery. The minute I indulged in ice cream and junk, my ankles started swelling and the drain output went up. As long as I stick to lots of protein, veggies, fruit and brown rice or whole wheat, the drain output steadily goes down and no more swelling. You would think concern for my general health would be enough for me to behave, but it's amazing how "in my face" and immediate results like that are.

((((((((Pam&Margit))))))))))wishing you a painfree and beautiful outcome today.

2Tzus, it's great having you so close to my surgery date. You keep giving me quick glimpses of what's to come. :-) 

Liz, Mileha, Lilmiss, Proffa, I wish you health, peace and serenity for your upcoming surgeries.

Sue

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

Thanks Sue for the well wishes. Just got the final OK for the test stuff. Finally have time to get excited and nervous. I hope packing will happen this weekend at some point. I bought lots of cute clothes, but not too many for any practical purpose. :)

For those in NC, please give Dr M a big hug from an Image Reborn girl! :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Hi guys!

I'm back to boring old St. Cloud (Sue, I get the part about being bored and this is only Day 1 back for me!) It's been good to get back to a big screen on the computer, tho,as well as big keys that I can see!

I got to meet Pam and her husband Tuesday night after they arrived in New Orleans. We had dinner at Chartres House Cafe, which is on Chartres (duh!) and Toulouse. Great place to sit and soak in the Quarter and the food is very good. I recognized Pam immediately! It's such a great feeling to meet you guys in person. Hard to believe we haven't already been friends for years! So Pam reminds me of the gal in "Weeds" if anyone knows that show. I don't mean in any of the bad ways - but her looks and being fun to be around.

We walked up/down Bourbon and had some drinks at Jean LaFittes Blacksmith Shop - a bar on the other (away from town) end of Bourbon that has always been pretty quiet when we've visited in times past, but was way livelier this time. We sat outside and talked for a long time. It's a neat place - I think one of the oldest structures in town, you see it in a lot of photographs in the galleries, it had connections to the pirate, is very basic - wooden floors and raftered ceilings, very low lighting, a piano player. Pams' husband and my husband got along pretty darned good - that's kind of a Minnesota expression - them both being Minnesota boys and all. (So I thought I heard Pam ordering "A nipple" from the bartender. Turns out it was vodka on the rocks and Red Bull - that sounds exactly like "Nipple" don't you think? And LOL, I thought it was hilarious that this is Pam's drink! I'm going to try it! She, like me, actually likes the taste of Red Bull)

The next day we met up at the doc's office and you know Pam was anxious about the hardened area in her breast and what Dr. D would recommend. She felt pretty good after the appt, and he had a few ideas how to address it, but wouldn't know for certain until he got in there. I'm thinking she should be out of surgery by now. They changed her appt to a little later, so it may be awhile until we hear from her, tho maybe her DH :) will keep us updated! We also all had lunch at Commander's Palace. I've wanted to eat there for ages! A tour guide who does haunted history tours of the Garden District told me lunches there are way cheaper and they have 25-cent martini's! Food was great, company greater!, fancy place, had limo pick us all up, dropped off Pam and DH at their hotel, picked up our bags at our hotel, and dropped us off at the airport

I got to keep my breast drain as an additional souvenir : \ as well as the GAP drain, of course.I think there is definitely something magic in the air in New Orleans, because I have no where NEAR the energy, now that I've gotten home, that I did when I was there! Today I slept and slept and had to force myself to take the dog out for a walk. And then the scenery was so blah!! And no music! I'm wondering if that vampire blood I had only works while you're in NOLA, and then it loses its power once you fly away...

Sue - Quick shower, yes! LOL! I was moving quick then, now, not so much! Thanks for your report! I know how long it takes to do these things - you never intend it to take so long, and then it takse like hours, it seems! That whole ant-coagulant thing sounds terrible! I wish everyone's insurance would just cover SC Hospital! Geez! And tonight, I was planning on a cheeseburger or something, to maybe boost my iron - but now I see I have to eat healthy foods in order to reduce the drainage? What do you recommend for good protein? Blah, again!

Cat - Yeah on getting your drains out so quick!

Good luck Margit!

Amy - So sorry I didn't get to meet you - so close! Glad you're feeling comfortable about the docs. It'll be November before you know it! Try to be there over Halloween ! Great time!

Liz - Good luck in Charleston - keep us updated!

Sally - Dr. D. calls the stuff "protein". that sounds like good stuff! Two weeks is still soon - hang in there!

Tammy - Sorry you had a bad cab experience! We're taken cabs a number of times in New Orleans and always had good experiences (Sandy, do remember the cab driver trying to find House of Shock?! LOLLLLL!!!!!). This trip, we even had 2 female drivers. The one had even heard all about the Center and she was just great - I wish I'd gotten her name. 

2tzus - so glad you're "feeling" so much better!!!!

Everyone - thanks so much for the well-wishes while in NOLA. It was so wonderful to have my husband read me what was going on and what gals were saying, even when I felt like crap! Definitely a bit of sunshine!

Now I need to figure out how to post photos, because I have great ones of a lot of you. Any tips? (I think someone might have asked this already...) I know how do do it on facebook, but how here?

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010

I am now nipple-guard free!! Woohooo! I can only say that here....LOL

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Pam is out of surgery, no complications and doing great!!!!! 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

i have pneumonia and pleurisy now as a side effect from the surgery but not from anything NOLA did obviously. Im on strong antibiotics am sure i will be better by next weeek which i kinda have to be since i start back to work on the 12th.

I read all about everyone going all around New Orleans and doing all this stuff but i pretty much managed to explore about 5blocks around the Clarion and that was it, it was too exhausting doing anything more. How did you guys get out so much!?I'm truly astounded!

Mileha- so haappy you got the clear to go!!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

Ugh Melinda, that is a bummer.  Rest and heal up quickly.  I'm glad you went to the doc and they are on top of it.  I didn't have that kind of energy after Stage 1 either!  Aftter Stage 2 I did, but I was wiped after Stage 1!

So glad to hear Pam is out and doing well and that all is a go for Mileha! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Did anyone have a numbness on the outside of thigh/hip area. On my right hip outside is kind of numb It has been since the surgery. Any ideas. Thanks for all your understanding and compassion when I go on about thinking I should be able to do more... feel better. If I take it slow I will improve day by day instead of feeling good 1 day so I go gung ho and then have to sleep 2 days to recoup.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Sally I still have some numbness in the hip area. 

Melinda~ I hope you feel better soon.  If you do not feel well I would call and see if you can get your leave extended. 

Christy~ Yeah for bye, bye nipple guard.

Sandy~ Thank you for the update on Pam. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited April 2010

Christy..woo hoo..nipple guard free. I am still nipple free...lol I have to decide when to do Stage 3. I am thinkin in August/Sept. maybe.

I still have numbness in my belly area so I think its normal for quite awhile.

Sandy..How are you doing in boot camp? I find myself extremely weak, especially the arm that had lymph nodes out. I also have WEAK abs...lol  I don't know how you girls do it.

Nordy..how are you?? How are the kids?

Springtime...I thought I read something about Richard...is all ok?? How are you doing?

Trishia- Do share...what do you do for TWO hours at the gym?? lol You are one motivated little lady!

Glad to hear Pam is out of surgery.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

Hoping all went well for Pam and Margit today! Minnesota - I am super glad you got to meet w/Pam and have dinner with them!

2T - are you certain that Dr. S said 3 weeks for side sleeping??? He was very adamant w/me at stage 1 to wait 6 weeks to sleep on my side because you tend to "collapse" your chest when sleeping on your side and it may cause the vessels to fold. Please double and triple check this before you actually do it!!!

Warrior - the kids are great! They are doing so much better now that we are home and getting back into our routine. Thank you for asking!

I have some numbness around the incision on my butt and a little bit on my belly incision - but not too bad. 

Melinda - I didn't do a thing fun after my stage 2 except went to lunch one day. I just didn't feel well and we were at the Hope Lodge - so we walked near there, but that was it. Do not feel bad that you did not get out! Just wait for stage 2 - then you will be all over the place!

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

Thinking of the ladies who are fresh out of surgery or about to go in. 

I've had a rough week- Sunday my new breast started turning red around the incision, and by Monday it was spreading outward. Dr S wasn't there so Dr T had me send pics, and he thought it looked fungal? So he prescribed 3 days of high-strength diflucan. I was worried sick, but finally the redness started to retreat yesterday, and by last night it was gone. Today it looks great! So I suppose it was fungal? Anyone had that? It's the first I've ever heard of that.

I know everyone hates the drains, but does anyone else have PAIN from the drain exit point? I do and it's miserable. Mine exits right at my hip, and it causes so much pain every time I take a step and especially when I bend my body (like sitting, esp. with legs up). Tomorrow makes 2 weeks post surgery; isn't the minimum time 3 wks before they'll even consider letting you pull the drain? I don't know how I can make it another week; it's miserable. :( I'm having to take pain pills STILL, because of the drain pain. Otherwise, I wouldn't need them still; I think ibuprofen would easily handle the residual soreness I have from the GAP incision & the breast area.

Also, has anyone ever been told you can change out of the girdle and into some Spanx before the drain comes out?

Hang in there to everyone who is dealing with issues (myself included! haha). I certainly wasn't one who was up and about checking out the town after stage 1 surgery. Neither time. It was all I could do each day to get out of my hotel room and walk around a bit. This time was worse than my first time, actually; I didn't even go out to walk around very much at all; I was miserable with the breast swelling/not draining issue. Which did seem to resolve itself, as Dr S said it would...but it was miserable during it.

BTW, my pathology came back 100% benign on my breast tissue as well as the 3 lymph nodes. I am still shocked. And thanking God, because it feels like a miracle--it was truly a prophylactic mastectomy!  

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2010

(((((Melinda)))) So sorry you are going thru that!!

(((((Pam))))) yea!!  Glad things are ok.

Sally - I have numbness in tummy, arm down to elbow, my right back and right side under the arm....think more of me is numb than is not numb! lol   This too shall pass......

Onc says if my counts stay up, we will start me on low dose taxol with my herceptin on 4/29.  Finally will make progress on getting things done so I can finally get to stage 2!!!  WOO HOO

Margit - prayers for you too.

Everyone else - Hi!!  Wink

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2010

Hi Everyone,

My surgery went good!

Was scheduled  for 7am ..which changed to 11am  at pre op.. But they did not wheel me down til 1pm.

Dr D  thought I had a seroma in there & would need an iimplant  if it was too big,. - which I was very Sad aad about.  No FN was left!

No Seroma!! No implant !  It is stil  'all me.'

Im sitting in  a chair - I just  finished eating some fruit & a Green salad.  I am   falling asleep here though   Surgery was about 4 hrs.  havent gotten a look yet. I have an Upper & lower Dom outfit.

Im loosing it So will try to tyoe more later,

Phoffa- Hope all went good for you!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2010

Yea!!! dejaboo has a good booboo!!  Glad it went well and you are "all" you!  Feel better soon..

• Minnesota
    edited April 2010

Pam,

I'm sooooooooooooo glad everything went so well for you! I'm sooooooo happy for you guys! Rest up, now, and no Red Bull for at least 2 weeks!

Eve

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Yeah Pam!!! No FN or Seroma!  I'm so glad things went well and that you didn't need the implant after all! Let us know how you are doing when you finally sneak a peak--I think you are going to be very pleased.

O.K. Got the report of the CTA scan from surgery last month...dang it if there isn't something (cyst,neoplasm, benign, malingnant???) on my pancreas. I know it's probably nothing since that isn't usually where bc spread to...and I don't even want to think that it could be a new primary (pancreatic cancer really sucks)...Anyway I am now in a "watchful, waiting period" with a new scan in a couple of months. I hate the extra chemicals and radiation--but I think that will be my life for a while...I wish they would just take it out, but at this stage that's not the plan. Extra kind thoughts and prayers please ladies, I was just starting to feel better and ready to move on.

Anyway, God is good, life is good, you all are good. I'm going to bed and not going to think about it!

• Minnesota
    edited April 2010

Sarah - I'm so sorry you have to deal with this worry now. Prayers for you now, as well as those extra kind thoughts.

Melinda and Cam, sorry for your extra hurdles. Cam,  is the pain being caused by the drain itself? like it's starting to pull out? Drains can come out before 3 weeks if the drainage is low enough. I think you should call the Center - I don't think you should be needing pain meds for the drains.

Now I feel bad that maybe people thought that I was running all over town after getting out of the hospital and they didn't! I only wrote about the fun stuff, didn't think anyone would really want to hear about me just lying around - since you already heard about that while I was in the hospital. We tried to get out at least once a day, sometimes more, with lots of resting in between. This is one reason why I like to stay at Place d"Armes. Jackson Square is just one block away, so it's easy to just get out and then back when I get tired. We never did anything before noon! During my first Stage 1, we had the use of a wheel chair so I could sit down if I got too tired to walk back to the hotel. I was the slowest to recover at the hospital and needed blood, remember! So don't anyone feel like anyone else is somehow stronger or whatever. We each come thru it at our own speed. Me, now I feel like I need more blood!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2010

Pam - that's great news! I'm so glad for you!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

PAM! Woohoo... I am thrilled that things went in your favor yesterday... THRILLED...!

Melinda, Cam...SaraB.. I'm sorry you have hit some bumps....

Cam.. you ended your post with BTW the breast tissue was 100% benign... if you get down.. focus on that... seriously.. that is GREAT news and it means you can stay clear of some of the other threads on this site.. which is WAY more important than whatever you're going through right now... 

Melinda.. I hope you feel better

SaraB... just yesterday my CTA came in the mail and I found myself googling all the weird terminology on there... dextroscoliosis, well, I knew that.. but granulomatous disease, partial sacralization of L5,  prominent Reidel's lobe (I'm like WTH is that)? lol ...it will drive you crazy.. I should have just filed it away but after bc.. you kinda can't.  Hang in there and do what you have to do... so much of this stuff turns out harmless.

I am battling a hole I found under the glue on the corner of my right flap.. on antibiotics.. but they believe an outer stitch came out and it will close up eventually... scary for me ... but hanging in there... and it's 6 weeks out and I know I have clearance to side sleep but not doing it for a while and my back is killing me every night... I do get to lose the compression garment today.. woohoo!!!