Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

Oh, Tammy...yikes. Hopefully your left side will be just fine. 

I'm sorry to hear others have had pain issues w/their drains, too. But at least I don't feel like such a freak- lol! :D Thanks for the padding tip; I have indeed done that, also. I pad like crazy, I make sure the tube is not moving or in any other position but straight out the hole I cut in the girdle. But it still hurts every time I move or bend. It has to be that the exit point lines up perfectly with the zipper on the girdle. Thankfully it's between hooks, but I have to jimmy the zipper line forward as far as possible so as to get it away from sitting at the drain exit point. I'm just counting down the days till next Friday and the 3 wk mark...and praying I get below the minimum output by then. I've been at 40 for the last 3 days, down from 90 exactly a week ago. 

Thanks for the commiseration. xoxo

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

Yeah, I'm confused on the different instructions too. After my stage 1- I left the hospital in just the bra and 2 drains in the groin. WHen I had my post op they gave me the girdle and said NOT to put it on until the last drain was pulled and THEN wear for 1 week. I clarified when I talked ot the NOLA nurses 3 times because I knew I had read differently on here lol. THe all reassured me these were the right instructions for me.

Also the side sleeping- the post op instructions say 6 weeks but Dr S told me 3 weeks for both sex and changing how you sleep. I'm still being cautious and sleeping half on my side and half on my back just to be sure for a while.

Tammy- my last drain was not in nearly as far as the other one. I pulled both out personally and the first one was loooong. The second one I had the same thing as you happen- it popped open, like all the time. Finally I got below 30 yesterday, talked to NOLA and they said pull it. When I did it was WAY shorter than the other one so thats where my issues came from, so weird!

I'm starting to feel better and have less lung and back pain so yay. My tummy incision is getting rather large though. It's about 2 inches and getting deep too. I'm still iodine-ing it and putting ABD pads on it. I think the compression might help? I certainly hope so because if those close I am almost all better!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010

Greetings and a question for tose who had liposution of their new breasts....

Mne feel quite hard --- not soft like they were prior to the lipo. almost like they did when i had implants. Is this due to the fluid in them post-lipo? Do they get soft again, and if so --I hope so --- how long does it take?

Margit

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

did I just read that right.. 3 weeks before we can have sex?!  lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol .... omg... funniest damn thing I've heard today...  but it's only 8:30 a.m... so..... lol 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

Holt - I didn't even ask about sex... LOL... I figured if I was on top... uh, never mind... Embarassed

CCBaby - I kept forgetting to write it and meant to: Hurray for being nipple protector free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

Been out of town for a few days and it takes forward to get caught up! 

Hotbolt - Nordy is correct I ended up with a DIEP which is why my drains came out early. 

I'm almost at 3 weeks and the glue/blackish mess is driving me crazy.  I'm doing my darnest to not pick at it.  I understand that some still have it at 6 weeks - when can we start washing it which may help it come off? 

My paperwork says I have to sleep on my back for 4 weeks so I'm assuming that means side sleeping also.   I never asked about sex either - figured it will be when I felt like it wouldn't hurt so much!  An't in no hurry!

• Melonda
    edited April 2010

ok, so am I  really the only one to have asked about sex lol? It was the #1 question on my list at post op check up. He said 3 weeks because of the stomach incision and the girls bouncing during sex lmao....

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2010

So I am not the only one with hip drains that line up exactly with the dom's zippers and hooks? Luckily, I have little major pain with them. The only thing that gets my attention is when I strip them and then reapply suction. It feels like some ham-fisted guy is pushing his knuckles into my backside. Other than that and the ache in my sternum, the only thing that really hurts is any pressure in my left armpit or the back of my left arm. I assume that is a result of my SNB? It didn't start hurting until 4 or 5 days post-op. Before that, I was amazed at the range of motion I had overall.

Despite my aches and pains, this is still so much easier than chemo. All my original eyelashes and eyebrows are gone, but, at least, new ones are starting to come in. Between that, hair that looks like an old man's wiskers, the dog ears across my backside, the drains and extra weight, I am feeling like one ugly duckling. Thank goodness for seeing so many of you so much further along this journey and having hope of more attractive days some day. I try not to wallow too much, but it's getting to me today. 

Sue

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Sue--I take one look at the beautiful smile in your picture and I think "one beautiful lady!" Sorry you are having a bad day--it will get better...

Holtbolt...did you notice that after you were  LOL'ing about sex that CAT called you HOTbolt???

I got different directions too about sleeping and drains...my paperwork said 6 weeks before stomach sleeping--when I called and asked about side sleeping they said 4--which was great for me...On drains, Dr. S said he didn't want them to stay in longer than 3 or 4 weeks regardless of the amount of drainage...nurses said "no way--keep them in until below 30 cc. My local PS said he never leaves them in longer than 3 or 4 because they can irritate and actually start causing increased drainage. Anyway, I compromised but I did take it out "early" by drainage standards and have had no problems. Last time I left them in 2 months and ended up with a seroma...go figure!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

Nope Melinda~You aren't the only one.  It was one of the top questions on my post op list too!!!!  I think mine was number 2 though...when can I stop worrying about flap failure. 

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

And what was the answer to that one? When CAN we stop worrying about flap failure?

Sue, you're beautiful. I understand the "ugly duckling" feeling, though. But in a way, that's what we are during the weeks after this surgery: with all the incisions, drains, swelling, etc, we look and feel rough. But that does eventually fade, and the results are incredible and beautiful; that's when we become the swans. :)

My drain was down to 30 last night. I am praying they'll tell me tomorrow I can have it pulled Tuesday. It will be 3 days shy of 3 weeks, but my local surgeon (who I'm seeing to have stitches removed) will be out of town after Tuesday, so if I can't get him to pull it Tuesday, it will be a long time before I can have it done. I hope they'll give they okay for Tuesday. 

• Trishia
    edited April 2010

And Sue...remember we are MORE than our scars, our hair, our parts.  Body image and self image was the toughest part of the cancer diagnosis for me personally.  It took me many years of self loathing to finally accept myself as a beautiful and sensuous woman no matter how many parts I was missing or how many scars I had.  You have been though the wringer.  You are sitll newely healing.  But each day remember that YOU are a divine and radiate an inner strength and beauty that will shine through no matter what.  ((((HUGS))))

As far as flap failure, he said after a week, the chance is extremely small. That usually only trauma or cutting off of blood flow (from stomach sleeping) would cause flap loss.  But we know it happens, because of our dear sarabhealed.  So he said 4 weeks of babying them and you can really stop worrying.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

Stephanie, I had the same exact instructions as you. did you do Dr. D.? I know Dr. M was not using the dominatrix when i was there, B/C Warrior got to wear nice soft cotton panties and I was sporting the uncomfortable dominatrix!!! I was thinking, SHEESH!!! I want the cotton panties!! ha!

I think also that Dr. D and Dr. S do different things with nipple recon post op instructions. So I guess every doc has their own preferred way... I wonder how the nurses keep track of it all!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

You girls are amazing.  I was feeling pretty good at 3 weeks, but sex was the last thing on my mind!  It definitely was not on my list of questions for Dr. D!  ...LOL

Anybody heard from Jennifer (plainjane64) lately?  I haven't seen any posts from her and just wondering if she's okay.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Suzanne

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

I'm laughing and amazed at the same time over the sex thing. Not only was (and is) my husband afraid of hurting me because I am yelping everytime those darn drains even wiggle, he is NOT thinking of it either...he looks at me like I'm an alien!!!

Perhaps that will change after this last drain comes out, week seven maybe???

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010

Sara... CAT DID call me HOTbolt.. LOL.  Put the "L" back in!! I am so far from hot right now... trust me..

I wanted to let you all know I found the best little bra in Walmart for $10.  It's not an excercise bra but a real bra that hooks in the back....  it's made by Hanes and comes packaged in this little clear tube... they have a display of them.. the clear tubes..  the pkg says Comfort Support Wire-Free Bra and it's style B289.  I bought an XL and it's perfect ....softy, stretchy little thing...and it comes in white, tan and some bright fun colors like purple and blue....  I don't know..... for those not interested in investing alot in a bra that might not fit later... you might want to check it out...

Good Luck LizR, Mileha, LilMis, Phoffa!  Smile

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

Dr S told me that our new breasts are fully independent by week 6, no longer needing the transplanted vessels to stay living and viable. Sometimes sooner. By 6 weeks, they've grown their own capillary network, so beyond 6 weeks there should be no worries.

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2010

Well, ladies, Liz & I hung out over the weekend and had a grand old time. She will be in excellent hands tomorrow; I should hear from her dh & will post on the board tomorrow evening. Tuesday evening I'll drop in on her and give an update if she's feeling up for visitors. But I'm sure she will be just fine - she's a bundle of energy and is in great shape, so no worries there! LilMis, Phoffa - hope to meet you while your here!

• Melonda
    edited April 2010

I just wanted to share with you all that I get why everyone raves about the care they receive from the center now. The care during my stay was awesome but since I've been home has been even better. I've had a few issues I had to call after hours about and got Dr T every time. He reassured mee and made me feel btter every time. The nurses have been awesome over the phone and have sent me so many betadine swabs its ridiculous.

But the kicker was this weekend- my tummy scar is getting worse and my DH is kinda freaking so we sent pics and i CC's Dr T, annd the 3 awesome nurses I've dealt with- Beth, Celeste and Stacey. I was not exppecting anything, just emailed them and expected I would get a call Monday about it. I woke up today and had an email from Dr T directly about the scar!! I was shocked that he would even email me back on a Sunday morning when i had not asked him to. THey are awesome and I'm so glad to know they are there at all times even that far away/

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Well Ladies Jeanine wrote to me last night and re requested pics and I sent them and she wrote back that Dr D wants me in NOLA  today (tommorrow at the latest) She is going to have Katie make the arrangements. I feel like I am kind of shipping my son off to his best friends til I get back but I have to do it . I will know more this AM but if they can help me with this pain and black spot it will be worth it . Keep the prayers coming Anyone else down there this week??

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Sally it's good that you are going back to NOLA so Dr. D can look at these things and get them taken care of quickly.  I know it's difficult to rearrange your life at a moment's notice but like you said it will be worth it to get rid of the pain and any areas that need attention. 

Wishing you the best and please let us know when you're going. 

Suzanne

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2010

Im home!

Feel like I missed a whole week in life again.  I just glanced at a few  posts...So I wont comment on them right now- Hope everyone is doing ok...Margit?

Got in late last night...Still working on catching up.

Was very fun to Meet Eve & Gary on Tuesday after we arrived.  We had a Nice Diner out & then walked around- ended up at a Bar- they all know the name...But I cant remember.

After her Post op & My Pre op on Wed- we squeezed in Lunch at Commanders Palace..Im glad we did.  Fun company again & great food.

Surgery went good.  I hope things will change as they settle though- As I am still 2 different sizes...If someone says that uis swelling...Well that would only be good for one side.  Cause my left side is pretty small : (

Dr D thought I might have a seroma- as big as a 150ccs on the left...That is when an Implant was brought up & I would get that if needed that day...Then decide down the line if I wanted to keep it or do a DIEP.  There was no seroma.  There was something (im not sure exactly- as he told my dh this after surgery & I never heard) but a film like pocket formed or somethign from the removal of my old implants.  Which made it feel like a seroma.  My Fat Necrosis (FN) has all softened up.

I ended up with another incision all along the bottom left breast to get rid of some Stretched skin caused by my symmastia - was supposed to be a little incision- but its pretty long.

I still have not gotten any good looks yet.

I do hate the DOM outfit & I am also in the matching Surgical Vest.

I did not feel up[ to doping much after surgery & was told not to walk around...Here & had been walking & drinkign water like a good girl.  But My feet, ankles, calves 7 thighs swelled up to twice there size.  So I had to elevate them  Sat & Sun...The plane ride did not help.  Slept with them on 3 pillows last night & they look 1/2 back to normal today.

Need to get them up again when I am done here.

Im not sure I understand the Nip Guard instructions...I think I was told 10 days for this set with Bacitracin.   And then switch top the other- smaller ones...But the others they sent with me- I think look the same.

I have 2 drains.  Running around 50-60 ccs each.  I do not want drains for ever again...So really hoping for them to slow down fast!

Tammy- I had my GAP drain in for 9 weeks & 1 day!  They day before it was pulled it was at 105ccs.  Some days it would drop to 65...Then the next be 175!  Had no rhyme or reason to it.

My DD & her boyfreind drove 5 hrs to get a Puppy from the Humane Society (surprize!) LOL.

He wont live here but at his house.  he is so cute- He was here when I got home.  Sweet as can be.  I cant lift him- he weighs 28#s.  I hope he comes back over today- LOL

Deja seems pretty facinated with him too.

Part Australian Shepard.

Im sure I am missing lots.  Im still spaced out from drugs.

P

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2010

Sally,

Im sorry to read you are having some Problems & have to go back.

I hope everything is ok or can be fixed Easily.

Check in when you can.

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010
    (((sally))) I'm sorry you have to go back down.. but if it were me.. that's exactly where I would want to be at this point....it's hard to be away from Dr. D when you have a problem.... safe travels... and check in when you can...
  • CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2010

Just heard from Liz's husband. They are done with the first part of the procedure and now is flipped over on her tummy for harvest of tissue. Doing great!

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2010

Thanks Chris for giving updates on Liz's surgery!!!!! 

Sandy

• Trishia
    edited April 2010

((((Sally))))  hope all goes well and your travels are safe and uneventful.

Thanks for the update on Liz!!! 

Melinda~I totally agree with you.  I have received better care and quicker response time from the NOLA team even though they are thousands of miles away from me, than I have from most of the docs I have dealt with locally.  

Pam~so glad you are home and healing.  

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

Sally - well crap!  I was hoping it would get better for you.  Your in the best of hands and its better to get it taken care of as quickly as possible as they are doing.  I'm thinking about you and wishing for a quick fix and better recovery this time around!  Let us know how your doing when you can! 

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2010

Thanks Chris for giving updates on Liz's surgery!!!!! 

Sandy

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Katie called this AM to see what airport I wanted to use. , said she would call back with arrangements. About an hour later Jeanine said Dr D wants me to try to heal a little more before I come back because he is going in and cleaning up the area and redoing the incision so plans to return are temporarly on hold.He did say pics from Sunday were worst than Fridays. So I am to send pics early on Wednesday and go from there. I am not unpacking the suitcase yet. LOL

Thanks for all the prayers and hugs I will keep ya updated