Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

I would call and talk to Cappie, Jamieh.  That doesn't sound right at all. 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2010

Bettye - I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you.

Trishia - Sheesh! You look awesome. Sorry about the biopsies - I hope it all comes out okay.

Jamieh - Lanita left shortly after I started working with the Center, so I never heard too much from her. But I did talk to Cappie and Billie who gave me a quote for Stage 1 only. They told me there would be an additional fee for Stage 2. Come to think of it, even Lanita had mentioned that there would be an additional fee for Stage 2. However, they all told me that the fee for Stage 2 would be much smaller (like $500 - $1000) than for Stage 1 since I would have met my OOP max for the year already. It seems like the person who is ultimately in charge of all this is Kathy. Cappie and Billie told me nothing would be definite until it was approved by Kathy, so I would ask to speak to her directly if you haven't already.

Minn - I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today. It sounds like the surgery was really rough on you. Take it slow.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited April 2010

Hi Girls! I am so behind but just popping in. I have to give kudso to Beverly/Springtime for keeping up on this AMAZING thread!! It has helped hundreds of women, including me! So, Springtime, THANKS from all us girls!  I am doing well. Trishia, you inspired me to join boot camp. Holy Moly....its a b%#%&!...lol  I had no idea how out of shape BC has really made me be...and weak. I did have all lymph nodes removed which tends to make arm a bit weaker, if you ask me.

You girls are progressing along and I pray for each of you on your journey. xxooo

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

I'm curious as to how many of us have developed lymphedema since our surgeries?  I'm one.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010

Margit...I have a hairy boob too, lol  I said to Dr S when I went in for stage 2 that I was thinking about shaving it and he laughed and said that that happens a lot because we have hair on our butt and hip area that usually gets worn off when wearing clothing and sitting but doesn't have a chance to 'wear' off on our breast.

Jamie...I hope you get the money situation to them all cleared up. Something isn't right there. I talked to Pam before stage 2 from home and again at the center before my surgery to make sure everything was what it was suppose to be with my insurance and etc. I have her direct # if you need it.

kcshreve...I have stage 1 lymphedema from my radiation before my surgery already. It doesn't seem to be any worse.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Minnesota...I'm sorry you had a rough time, but I'm glad you are perking up. I also was given the "option" of having a blood transfusion--I had two units and felt SOOO MUCH BETTER. I'm convinced that it helped make my entire recovery smoother. I just wanted to encourage others who might need it not to be afraid of saying yes--it was just what I needed!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

Jaimie - I was also given 3 different numbers (approximations) when I first contacted the center - one for each stage of reconstruction. It is odd that you would have been given a number for all three stages. I can't remember when your stage 1 was, but I know that my numbers changed when it went into the new year as what I was originally quoted was my liability "within the calendar year". I do hope that you can get things worked out. I would think they would keep a financial file on all of us, so hopefully there is something written in there that can shed some light???

Anyone else come home from surgery to have their kids act out for period of time??? Usually my kids are pretty well behaved, but since we have been home, it has been very stressful and the fighting is out of control. My s-i-l said they were sooooo good for her, so I am wondering if they have been saving it up for me?  My 5 year old has been in time out at least 4 times today! 

Well, I was allowed to remove one drain this am and will remove the second tomorrow!  wooohooo!!!! And Spring - I have one right at the top of my crack too!!! It has been quick to dry up this time, so I am super excited! (Maybe it is the Arnica???)

BTW - Trishia - way to rock the bikini, girl!

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

PS - Warrior - GREAT to see you!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Jamieh sorry for the misunderstanding on the billing. I think it is understood that each stage is a different surgery. Some people don't come back for a stage 2 or 3 so why would they charge up front for those. Most of the ladies try to get all their surgery in the same year to avoid having to pay their deductible portion again.

Try calling the center and see if they will work out a payment plan they are usually good about that or postpone your surgery until you are back on your feet. Good luck.

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Hey Nordy how do you get your drains out before me????? I had my surgery the week before you and I still have one left NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!  Good for you.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

I guess I should clarify what I was given by Lanita was a total charge for all 3 of my surgeries.   I placed a downpayment and I am making payments monthly (which I am grateful that the center offers). 

Now today a billing person came back for a large payment knowing that I am already making payments (which I can do just fine :) ) Requesting that I come down with another chunk of $, insisting that I have it from my tax return.  Which yes I have not worked in the last 15 months BUT I am not getting a huge tax return or else I would have paid off my stage 1.  It was the strangest phone call from the center.   I was expecting a more professional phone call then what I received today :(.  I am not sure who I spoke with as I thought she was calling to confirm my stage 2 not please send me X amount from your tax return.  Then she insisted that I was going to bring the $ before stage 2 and wanted to note my account that I was bring money from my tax refund.  I kept saying "No I am not bringing $ from my tax refund....." and she just kept repeating it.....  My DH was listening to me and thought that I had lost my mind listening to the conversation. 

I understand the billing aspect (I did contracting for Johns Hopkins prior to becoming self employed).  What I did not understand was the unprofessional way that my phone call was handled.  I am less upset about it now and I plan on clearing things up on Monday if they are open.  I know they can not speak for Lanita since she is no longer there but there is a lot of confusion for patients.

BTW. this will not stop me from doing my stage 2 BUT I am now scared of what will come for Stage 2 & 3.......  I honestly felt blindsided today.  I like to know everything upfront because I like to plan for things.

However saying all of this I do not regret for a minute that I went there as I still think the center is the best place for me.  So I guess I will be running a Mother's day session sale :)  I need to get working anyhow Smile

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Jaimie - I wish you had gotten the name of the person that contacted you! Maybe they are new??? That is so bizarre! At any rate, you need to speak with someone who has been there for a while and can clear things up and guide you in the right direction! That has got to be so frustrating!!!

Stephanie - I have zero idea how this is slowing up so quickly! I really do think it must be the arnica since we all know I took forever and a day to stop draining last time. That is the only thing that I am doing differently. I am kind of amazed myself! I fully expected to be draining into May this time! I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise!

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

So Nordy how bad was the Mini tummy tuck ?? 

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Jaimie - It was not bad at all - but I already had a c-section scar there that he went through - and compared to a c-section (where muscle is cut) the mini tuck has been a walk in the park. I am not saying there has not been any pain... but definitely less than a c-section!

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Great to hear :)  Thanks for you honest opinion, I really appreciate it. 

I think I am going to delete my rant post above.  Honestly everything would be fine if it was all layed out up front....I still adore Dr. S :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Jamie,

please excuse typos. husband asleep and he urned out the kightslus my  eyes are blurry from drugs. i tried to get someone you could talk to when i saw yiur mmessage. nt nyrrse Yxette took up the task for me but unfirtunat;r rvyinr who hhandles billing was gone. she will tell someone on MONDAY (I KNOW HTIS IS A LONG TIME TO WIT0 to look for something from you - tho your identiy is onlu Jai,ey at this point. LOL if you can. Anyway, please try not to orry about this. everythign will be worke otut  you will not be lft in the lurch - they would never do that to you!

• Minnesota
    edited April 2010

Camje, wgat gappened with your swollen beast? lites still out. ineed ti ckide this danged c9io,-====\]omputer!close it, i mean! anyway, I want ti hear how Camie is! I;m wirrued we haven't heard fron her. Is she here in the hospital room with thre diomnot disturb sign? IALSO MET A GAL HERE WHO POTED BRUEFLY A WHULE BACK  bROOKR. SHE;S FROM mn TOO, REALLY IM NOT THIS DRUGGED, JUST TOO LZY TO GET UP AND RTURN OUT T ON THE LIYTRE AND KNOW I SHOULD BE KEE KEEP SLEEPING

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

CC- how did they handle your lymphedema? - blood pressure, IV, etc?  

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

Minn you are cracking me up!!!  It's like deciphering code reading your posts.

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Minn.~ You are a doll :)  I loved reading your post it was like reading my teenage neice's messages.  I hope you are feeling better.  BTW, I am not to worried I was just upset at the way that I was treated. 
    Diagnosis: 12/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2010

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and well wishes.  I am doing OK.  I had some very dark days but with God's great love I am much better.  I pray for grace and peace and I get it on a daily basis.  I ask Him every night to hold my hand because I do not have sense enough to hold His.  He has not failed me yet and I am sure He never will!!!  How much more can I ask than to have this peace from the Great Physician?  I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to deliver me against that day.  Also Phil 4;13  I can do all things through Christ Jesus!

I will be reading all your posts and praying for you all.  This surgery and these Dr's are miracles in themselves.  I am so happy with my surgery.  I will be very happy when I can go ahead with stage 2.  I will be having radiation for 10 treatments at MDA the I will have to wait at least 4 months for stage 2.  Hopefully all will be done within this year. 

Thank you again.

Bettye

• Minnesota
    edited April 2010

okay. now i can see! I was wondering if anyone has heard from Camie. Remember she was very worried about her breast being swollen on the weekend and then had a post-op on Monday or something? I don;t think she's posted since?

so we're waiting for Dr. T to come in around 1 and hopefully release us, tho i really wouldn't mind staying at all. As per usual, everyone has been great! I have had a number of nurses, including Yvette, Nicole, and  Erin. Yvette had the distiction of helping me take a shower and get in and out of the domanatrix. I also looked at the shark bite for the first time during her shift and commented to her that it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just assumed the nurses knew all this lingo that we use, but they don't, so she didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Maybe we need to come up with a dictionary of terms or something!

She also didn't know that we mention them on this thread and got all worried what people say about her. I told her it was all good - because it is! The only bad stuff anyone has ever said about a nurse is the nurse from hell at Baptist! All the rest of them are like angels!

I have to tell you a little story about this sweet young nurse tehnician here that I'm sure some of you have had the pleasure of meeting. She epitomizes what is so great about the hospital and Center. Her name is Alice and she describes herself as not very talkive, quiet, would rather listen. And also, she was hoarse this week and hoping to get over it in time to sing at church on Easter. She comes in here to take the vitals and empty the drains, and every time, after she's done, she says thank you very sincerely. Like she should be thanking me, instead of the other way around, which of  course I always do... so yesterday she she talked more than usual and told me that it had been her birthday and the other gals up here surpried her with a birthday cake and perfume and things like that. She was so excited about this. And she said it was her favorite kind of cake - it's called chantilly. I think. I never heard of this kind of cake before. It's like a yellow sponge cake, and has whole berries cooked all thru it - like blueberries and raspberries and then a cream frosting. And she had mentioned that she liked this cake 2 years before and someone had remembered. She was very touched by this. Then I asked her if there had been any left over that she was able to take home (I really wasn't trying to mooch any!), and she said that they had gotten her 6 cupcakes, too, that she could take home with her. Then she said there was a little left and would I like  piece? How nice is that?! I didn't want to deprive her of any of that cake, but really was intrigued by this cake I'd never heard of before so I said I'd love a little, and then later she brought me some, saying, "I bet you thought I forgot, but I didn't", with her shy smile. It was delicious! And then this morning, she brought me one of the warm Danish rolls just as they had been put out and some orange juice, too. And I was hungry, because I woke up too early and couldn;t get back to sleep. She is just so sweet and kind and does her job in her quiet way and with such warmth and caring. So I hope that any of you who come here get to meet her and have the honor of being cared for by her.It's wonderful to see how much staff cares for each other, in addiion to the patients.What an incredibly loving atmosphere permeates this place!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Minn, you are writing so much better.  I was cracking up trying to read your earlier posts!  They were just like code!  I'm happy that your shark bite is not as bad as you'd feared, and you know that it will be tightened up and filled in during stage II. 

Bettye, love your great outlook!  My trainer has written on her white board this week:  "Impossible Isn't".  I've received revisions in NOLA to the mess my first surgeon made, and they're nothing short of miraculous.  I feel so incredibly blessed that my first surgeon abandoned my care and that I was led to seek help from Dr. DellaCroce.

Warrior, great to hear from you!  I actually just got back from Saturday morning bootcamp at the park, and feel warm and limber. I'm going to head out to a wholesale nursery to get about 10 flats of spring flowers, and will plant them this afternoon.  Can't wait to see the yard full of bright colors. It's amazing how a really tough workout gives you energy!

Julie had the opportunity to meet several of the nurses when we stopped by the hospital to drop off something for Minnesota on Tuesday.  Julie said that she could tell that the nurses are just as special as the doctors and that they are there because they love working there.  She is hoping that she will be able to have her surgery with Dr. D soon---after meeting with everyone, she is emotionally ready!

• Minnesota
    edited April 2010

Stephanie - i fkeep forgetting to tell you how much calmer i felt about the whoel transfusion thing becaus i knew you'd had it. that helped a lot. I asked one of the nueses how often this happems and she said abut once every couple of weeks.

Pam - they moved my post-op from Tuesday to Wednesday, so maybe I'll ust give you a call or you give me a call when you get into town and we'll gifur out what we;r going to do. It will ve so great finally meeting you!

Sandy - I am so envious or your planting flowers! Our lst frost isn';t until the end of May, but I'm always ready and wanting to plant way before that!

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Minn.- I love Alice ;). You decribed her perfectly and she is really a doll.

25 days to go....

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

Minn, Glad you are better. I had a transfusion too, and I didn't like the sound of it, but I was out of it when D.D and my husband decided I would have it. so far, no issues! it does make you feel a whole lot better if you need one....

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010
    kcshreve...Honestly, I didn't tell them that I had lymphedema, but I did tell them that my cancer and lymph nodes removed were on the left side. They had me to wear a wrist band that said no left sticks and no BP check on the left during both stages. Plus, the nurses asked me which side each time they did anything to me.
  • sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

I got another drain pulled this AM so I am down to 2 drains left. Last night I went to diiner with my parents and son and today I feel totally worthless. (feel like the day I got out of the hospital) My incision is black and when they took the tape off my skin came to. That just does not seem to want to heal. My incision stomach incision really hurts today and it has not at all in the past. Any suggestions? Thanks

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

The vitals nurse sounds much like the sweet gal I had, Candice. I also had Yvette for my day nurse when I was there. Please tell her Tammy said hello, and hope she got the chocolate I sent her!! I felt she really earned it after helping me with the Dom outfit!

Just put my son on a plane for Hawaii with the Water Polo team. I actually am looking forward to a weeks break, 15 year olds are a handfull, especially boys, they don't understand all this female stuff, and show few emotions!

My last week home before I go back to work and my right drain is back to putting out 55 cc a day! Did any one else hae that at 6 weeks? It was down to 30 a week ago and now I don't know what happened.

• Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2010

Laughlines, I'm so excited about the scheduling of your surgery at the same time as mine.  I've been waiting to get closer to my date & hoping someone from here would be there too.  My surgery date says June 14, but it is actually June 15.  I posted the 14th but that is my consult date.  I hope we get a chance to meet.  I'm not sure what procedure I'll have yet, but they thought probably SGAP with my height/weight. 

I'm going to PM you with some more info.

Shay