Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2010

Melinda, I'm glad I got to see you yesterday.  How did it go?  Are you still here at the Breast Center?

• Mauicarol
    edited July 2010

Melinda, I just saw you message from Tuesday.  Now I know why you knew who I was when I said hi in pre-op.  I wish I had the chance to visit with you.  I don't leave until tomorrow morning, how about you?

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2010

Hi ladies,

Did anyone else have a bald spot on the back of their head after Stage 1? I noticed it a few days ago because I felt stubble growing in that area. Do they shave a little spot on your head for some reason or did my hair just rub off in surgery?

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited July 2010

Gosh, REALLY looking forward to the Nola Halloween holiday and meeting up w/ you girls!

Still not final on my plans-DO know I will probably get there 10/28 and leave 11/1....Since I am off the whole week before have honestly been toying w/ the whole driving there (to have a car) idea.....Honestly haven't been anywhere since stage 2 last Dec.  and probably won't before Oct...but that is OK-summer is very busy work time so when I do go OOT it's fall/winter/spring.  AND have been breaking my arm patting myself on the back for almost recovering all my paid time off bank,  almost having this stuff paid off, etc. Again Minn....So NICE to be able to look forward and plan rather than worry and be scared-waiting for the other shoe to drop!

Need to be exercising more and more seriously....half marathon?  huh huh!  Yikes!

Have a wonderful weekend -stay cool!  jjd

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2010

Trainertam - I am 3 months out from Stage 2.  What exactly do you mean by your body not "looking good"?  I'm sure your breasts are amazing!  Did you have a DIEP or a GAP?  and what did you ask for at Stage 2?  I do remember thinking some similar thoughts at 6 weeks post-op, and thinking that i was still seeing some post-surgical swelling.  I'm now out 12 weeks, and I'm pretty sure all swelling is gone.  Now any "fluff" that I still have is all me - bummer.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2010

Hi Mauicarol!

I figured it was you when I heard you say my name! I would have come visit later but I had some pretty severe nausea after the nurses wew moving my drains and girdle around. I got discharged this morning and went over to the Center for tats, so I didn't get a chance to meet you coherently!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

I chose not to do an airboat tour due to the reported disruption they cause to the wildlife.  After hearing that, I did not go further and look at safety. The regular boats get up to a pretty good speed out on the open water.  The Honey Island tour is a lot of fun.

JenniferJane, I hope you can be there early on the 28th---looks like that will probably be the evening of the fundraiser dinner for Breastoration.  I think that CAGNO is still waiting on a response from the restaurant, but I will say that we all LOOOOVE this restaurant, so it's the perfect place for us to do this.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

Sandy, I corrected the spelling stuff!

So Weds eve is likely to be the dinner? I wonder if I can get my surgery on Monday and tattoo and Tuesday. I am going to work on that this week upcoming... 

• Mauicarol
    edited July 2010

Having missed an opportunity to get to know a lovely lady from this message board (while at NOLA this week), I wondered what I could have done to indicate that I was following this discussion board. The nurses at the surgery center are very protective of our privacy & they don't run arround talking about other patients (a good thing). They told me that sometimes patients who chat on this discussion board will post their screen name outside their door when they get to NOLA.  That way, if anyone recognizes the screen name, they will know that the person in that room is willing to visit.  What a great idea!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited July 2010

Mauicarol,

Yep, that's what I did when at the hospital - made a sign with "Minnesota" and taped it next to the room number. We should all try to remember to do that when we're there! 

2tzus - I vote for the swamp boat tour - I agree with Sandy. Plus, I don't see how you could see much wildlife on one of those really loud boats! I think they're super obnoxious! I would think alligators would be lying all around there this time of year - that should be plenty exciting for the kids, and your husband!  Also, it's very instructive for the kids and is a "teaching moment" about respecting the ecosystem :)

• SandyinSoCal
    edited July 2010

2tzus, I did another swamp tour the first time I went to NOLA and it wasn't nearly as much fun.  I've been on the Honey Island one a few times, and it's always different, and we've always seen multiple alligators, plus a lot of other wildlife.   It sounds like you have a busy trip planned and will get to see a lot!

Spring, yes, I'm hoping for 10/28 for the dinner/fundraiser.  I've been hopping around the country buying stuff at various gift shows and I am bringing pink crystal necklaces and bracelets that we'll sell for a very reasonable price and/or have as raffle prizes.   They are beautiful--will make great gifts for yourself or for Christmas/birthdays/etc.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited July 2010

Ladies, there is an opportunity to inspire other women on the Breast Cancer Site, and a chance for Breastoration to win $2500.00.   Write a story of up to 300 words, and mention CAGNO's (Cancer Association of Greater New Orleans) Breastoration Fund as your charity.  Here's a link to mine!

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/ps/2/gbsa45ir1rjwkgh982cgz

Eve and I are beginning work on the process soliciting grants for Breastoration.  We need money so we can get started producing educational materials explaining all of the options for reconstruction, so that no woman makes an uneducated decision.  I wasn't even told that mastectomy was an option.  The doctor who gave me my diagnosis told me that the treatment was lumpectomy plus radiation, and it was up to me to figure out that I could choose mastectomy and avoid rads.  A huge percentage of women are not even offered reconstruction!

Please tell your story or vote for mine, and give Breastoration another chance to win!  You can also donate at www.Breastoration.org .  Thanks!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2010

so, im home after stage 2!! So far I LOVE the results. The tattoos are amazing and I cant believe I have nipples after all this time. Surgery only took 3 hours or so, he did lipo and contouring on the belly, muffin top and back fat. He reduced the size of 1 so that they were more even. He said when he was in there plication didn't seem to be an option (not sure why) but even my tummy looks better already, I can't wait for the next 90 days0ish to see it keep improving.

I get to wear the lovely girdle again, yay. I have 3 drains- one of them is putting out very little, one is putting out tons and one is kinda medium. They are all still bright red- anyone know when they start changing colors?

I'm having major issues with constipation right now which is no fun with the girdle on :(

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2010

2T - We went w/Sandy on the Honey Island tour and it was a blast. The alligators we saw were just little ones (common for that time of the year they said) and we saw lots of snakes in trees. YUCK. I did not realize how big one of them was until I uploaded my pictures... I couldn't really see in the tree because of the glare of the sun... probably a good thing. Wink

Melinda - Welcome home!!! Lots of water, glycerin suppositories, Smooth Move tea... shopping at Walmart.. LOLOL... those are all my secret constipation weapons! LOL

Okay, so I may have a glich in running the 1/2 marathon... I think I may have a stress fracture of my calcaneus (heel bone). I have all the signs and symptoms... and the cause fits considering I got new shoes and ran sprint intervals the same day. I am hoping I have just bruised my heel, but I am aggravated to say the least. I have a sprint triathlon coming up the 31rst and have been busting my butt to swim more proficiantly so that I can beat my extremely slow previous time; AND the 1/2 in October. This just throws a wrench in everything. Initially I thought it would just go away, but it has been hurting now since my last run on Wednesday (can't put any weight through my heel) and is swollen to boot. Not to mention that I am osteopenic, so definitely higher risk for fractures, but h*lls bells - this is the kind of exercise that helps w/osteopenia!!! (Okay, so maybe I could have left out the sprints while pushing my two kids in the jogging stroller, but STILL.... ) ARGH! So, I am looking for a good orthopedic doc this week to take a look at me, then go from there. Hopefully I will be recovered in time to jog the 1/2, but if not, I will still walk it!

Sandy, can't wait to hear more about what you have going on. Fun.

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

I tried to put up that pic of the snake in the tree... but it was so well camoflauged that you can't see it on here!!! I put the alligator pic up instead!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited July 2010

Sandy - good job on the essay.... I will be voting and hope you win!!  I was on vacation for a week and am trying to catch up on reading... can you tell me what is all planned for October?  I would love to come down and be a part of the fundraiser if I can swing it... but not sure of dates, etc.  Since I have to be back down there in December... not sure if it's feasible but ... what are the concrete plans and who is going so far ? (sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself) 

Melinda - welcome home from Stage 2....

Sorry I have much to read to address everyone... but I hope you are all doing well!!! Smile

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

Sandy, I read your story! Awesome. I don't know how to vote. Is there a button there???

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2010

Pam- I am away and I couldn't find your e-mail BUT today was the day....lol...I will e-mail you when I get home.

Melinda- Glad to hear that stage 2 went well. I hope you continue to feel better everyday.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

Sandy dahling, great story! 

Melinda, Welcome Home!!  I am so glad you got the Tats and love them! yay!! A lady once told me that the nipples and areaola are like the "face" of the breast. Welcome to your two new faces!!!

:) 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2010

Ladies I am finally starting to feel myself after 4 months since Stage 1 and 3 months since Stage 1 1/2. I am getting ready for Stage 2 in about 4 weeks. Feeling the normal excitement and nervousness which I know will go away once I am there. Anyone in NOLA around the 17th or 18th of August I am coming in early to see something other than a hospital room in New Orleans and will be by myself so IM me if you'd like to get together. Also, I would like to let you guys know I have met someone very special. And his wife died from Breast Cancer,  Sweetest person. Unfortuately he will only be to New Orleans in spirit as he is in the United Kingdom working. God sure works in mysterious ways. Hugs and Prayers to all

Melinda I am so glad you are home and feeling well. Did you feel pretty good right after the surgery or did it take you a while. I told my son that maybe I should take him school clothes shopping before NOLA so I know it is done

Sandy/ Minnesota/ Nordy I am flying in for the reunion on October 29th and back out the 3rd of November. What would you like me to do as far as helping out.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2010

KCShreve: Seven weeks ago  I had the IGAP and a lot of lipo (tummy, back,sides and under arms). On my upper abs I have a few really hard lumps about the size of walnuts and I have blobs of fat on my hips. I'm still wearing spanx (ultra firm) every day to work, i stopped wearing them to sleep in . (I did wear the heavy duty dom outfit for 6 weeks). I'm just wondering when I can actually think about buying any new clothes...I'm still wearing weird winter and fall stuff I have been wearing  before surgery becasue I was SURE I could get new summer clothes a bit smaller. So far ...no where close!

Does that sound about right to anyone else? did it suddenly turn around at 3 months?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2010

Ladies, looks like I will miss the "big to do" at the end of Oct, but Spring - you can add me for 11/5 for Stage 2 @ 11:00am if everything goes well.  I have had my doubts I would ever get there, but looks like it just might happen!  Sorry I will miss the gang there the week before, but my grandson's birthday is 10/28, so I could go till after that, and 11/5 is the 1st date available, evidently.....   

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited July 2010
    Tammy - I am having the same kind of confusing thoughts.. lol.  My Stage 2 was May 21 and my waist is still bigger than it was before surgery... swollen.. numb...especially the lower back... weird... I am hoping that it suddenly turns around and this swelling goes away and I see the effects of lipo but as of now... 8 weeks out... I see none.  I'm kind of confused... had no idea ... thought lipo was an immediate improvement... guess I never asked.  So... I don't know whether to try and lose weight ... did I gain weight.from eating?....or is the scale incorrect.. and I'm holding all this fluid from lipo.... I clearly have no idea what's going on... LOL LOL  Wink  but just wanted to let you know.. you are not alone....
  • sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2010

Hi Gals.

I am getting so nervous. Sueinfl and I are going to get together before my surgery on 07/29 and I am so looking forward to it.

I have a question, should I get spanx to wear after stage 1? I know I will be wearing some kind of girdle but I wonder if I should consider the Spanx just to keep fluid from building up . It sounds like I will need it for stage 2 but I was wondering if I should buy it now or not... What else will I need for Stage 1, besides pain meds and patience?

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2010

Lynn, real quick answer and will call you tomorrow. Only bring loose comfortable clothes for afterward. They give you everything else you need...bras, long line girdle (dom outfit), pain meds, arnica montana for swelling, and lots of gauze and bandages. Don't hesitate to ask for an extra dom and bra to make keeping a clean one handy easier. Omigawd, it is coming up fast!

• Minnesota
    edited July 2010

Hotbutt (a.k.a. That Little Sneak) & Tammy - It's still too soon to necessarily see the results of your lipo. Don't worry! Hang in there!

Sheridangirl & Sueinfl & maybe Cat, too? - I'm gonna be there then, too, so count me in on getting together. I fly in on the 28th, have pre-op the 29th (3 p.m.), surgery the 30th, post-op the 2nd (10:15), fly out on the 3rd. When do you guys have your appts.? I hope our paths cross! Lynn - the girdle is to keep the fluid from building up, and they give you that. You shouldn't need pain meds, because they'll give you those, too - good ones! I will repeat, as i have before, keep the pain ball as long as you can! Loose fitting clothes! Something that hangs down long, to cover your hip drains - I like a long-sleeved shirt (very light this time of year!) that you can tie around your waist to cover them. And tops that will go with that black bra. Just about anything will! Very comfortable shoes. Something to journal in. A light, little purse for just the essentials, as you explore the Quarter. Mainly, don't worry very much about what to bring - it adds stress. If you forget something, you can get just about anything at the Walgreens that are all over the place! I am also getting exceedingly nervous!

Sally and y'all - we are still waiting to get the go-ahead from the venue. Keep an eye out for interesting items for the silent auction or raffle! Try to find stuff that will hopefully bring in more than you might just donate yourself - otherwise, just bring yourself and some money! We're hoping the restaurant may donate a portion of our tabs.

Re: the essay for The Breast Cancer Site, they narrow down the essays to 5, and then people can vote. We'll let you know if either of ours gets selected (Sandy's is better). If so, we will all have to vote once a day and get everyone we know to vote!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited July 2010

Minnesota, Sueinfl & Sheridangirl - I fly in early on the 27th with pre-op with Dr. D at 3:00.  Surgery on the 28th and fly home on the 31st.  I'm not staying for a post-op appt this time.  I'll be staying at the Clarion after surgery which is only 3 1/2 blocks from the hospital so I hopefully will be able to come visit.  Since I'm having the hyster also - not certain how I'll feel.  If everyone will post their screen name on their door, I'll be able to find you.  Hope to see you guys next week. 

Sallym - Woo Hoo girl!  Glad you've found someone special. 

• Minnesota
    edited July 2010

Something for everyone to pack for NOLA - a card with your screen name already on it - so you don't forget to tape it by your door!

Cat - maybe I can see you on Thursday, when I'm there for my pre-op. Or maybe Thursday nite, we could all get together!

Sallym - yes, Woo Hoo is right!

• Ballantino
    Ballantino Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010

Hi Ladies - wow, there is a lot of information and dialogue to go through on this particular thread!  I'm so glad that you all have found each other - and hope that you can help me with my recent experience withi SGAP reconstruction.  I had the surgery at NOLA on June 14th with Dr. Marga and Dr. S.  I will need some revisions to the flaps at Stage II - not unexpected due to damage from the implants and/or previous radiation. Also - the flap on the radiated side is very hard.  However, my bigger concern is the huge dent on either of the donor sites.  I am not small - but had a small, pretty, curvy waist and upper hips.  Now - I have a large dent where my upper hips were (my waist is now the wider spot - even though there's not much fat around that part of my waist), and I can't see how lipo could fix this.  Is this just something I'm going to have to live with?   (I wasn't sure how bad it looked until I saw the look on the face of friend who saw the donor site - she tried to be positive, but her "look" was all telling).

This has been such a roller coaster ride - and I tend to fall apart when I look in the mirror. 

Anyone else had this problem? 

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2010

Nancy, I have dents on both sides, one from over 8 yrs ago (my first sgap), and one on the other from my sgap/hip flap 3 months ago. Dr S assured me he'll fix those during stage 2. He never fixed the first one years ago, because then I truly was way too thin for him to find something to fix it with (think 5'5", 100lbs, super super thin). I just totally learned to live with it and it's never bothered me, but now that I have two dents and an extra 40 lbs with which to find donor material, he said he'll get those fixed at stage 2. Just my experience, hope that helps.