Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of stage 2, I have a very crucial question (Tongue out). Did any of you go into surgery with nail polish on your toes? I only wear it in the summer, and my current pedicure is worn and I need to re-do it. But with surgery in just over 2 weeks, I hate to re-do it if they're going to make me take it off for surgery...anyone have any experience with whether they want no polish, or if they don't care? 
  • laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2010

Camiam - get those toes done! You can wear polish for surgery.

• camiam
    edited July 2010

Excellent!! I thought probably so, but hated to waste all that effort if not! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

Gin, I added your stage 2 to the list! 

Nail polish is cool for surgery. Who was it on this board who was getting ready for one of her surgeries, and went in for a bikini wax and ended up with a Brazillian??? That was hysterical. The things we DO to get ready for Surgery!  

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2010

I thought they preferred no polish on our finger nails because it is a quick way for the anesthesiologist (sp?) to check our oxygen levels by pressing the nails and seeing how quickly the color returns...

Am I close Nordy or Jane or is that an old wives' tale?

• camiam
    edited July 2010

I had heard that and I know that years back that was the case, but I guess not anymore. I'm pretty sure they use machines to measure all that now.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2010

I was told yes to painted toenails, but no to painted fingernails.  I had pink toes with the BC ribbon painted on my toenails!  And LouAnn had boobies on hers!!

As far as the swelling, Liz was really adamandt with me that you cannot really see the results of the lipo for 6 months to a year and that it could take 3 months for the swelling to start to go down.  So be patient with yourselves ladies!!!  

• laughlines
    edited July 2010

Oh yes - I can't speak to the painted fingernails, I just know the toes were okay. Spring! I am cracking up at the thought of being headed into surgery with a Brazilian!! My hubby would definitely have some questions about that scenario!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2010

YES, for the painted toes. NO for fingernails. At least all the hospitals I have been/worked in and my hubby has worked in anyway. Yes, the pulse oximeter will read the O2 saturation levels, but they like to be able to see your fingernail beds as well (Trishia you are right). Sometimes the pulse oximeter stops working well (displaces, twists to the side, falls off) and the machine starts making a racket that your O2 levels have dropped. Of course they will first see if the finger piece is in the right place, but if they can't get it working again quickly, your nailbeds are a good place to double check if it is the machine or YOU.

And I think it was LouAnn that had boobs painted on her toes??? Oops - just saw that you said that already Trishia! And was that Macksix that had the Brazilian??? THAT was hysterical.

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

Ballantino - one of my flaps was initially pretty hard - you may need to give that some time. My softened up after a couple months and now there is no hardness left at all. It is soft and jiggly! And I had a bit of a shelf after stage one... I guess maybe I have a tiny bit of one now, but I think overall it looks pretty good. Of course I am not completely symmetrical or completely perfect like Barbie (LOL), but I like the transformation from the flat chest to what I have now. I wear lycra A LOT and you do not see dents through my bike shorts - so I would say that is a success. They will revise your scars at stage 2 and hopefully be able to inject some fat there that they retrieved from elsewhere. Hang in there - you are early on!

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

2t! Are you headed to NOLA tomorrow??? Thinking of you!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited July 2010

Minnosota - I'll be getting out of the hospital Thursday afternoon but don't know what time.  Come on up, I may still be there. 

I had been wondering about the toenails - thanks for bringing it up.   

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2010

I will be in NOLA on 07/26, staying at Bienville House the 26th and 27th, Pre Op with DR S on 07/28 at 4:00. Checking into Hope Lodge on the 28th, Stage 1 on 07/29 at St Charles. Discharged on 08/03 and back to Hope Lodge until 08/06. Then Home with my new boobs.. Yay. I am so nervous, I am just trying to keep busy and to stop eating refined carbs.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2010

Trisha: thanks for the thoughts on the swelling and the lipo results. Cindy thanks for confirming you are in the same boat!!

Question about spanx and such....it's been 8 weeks today, still wearing them but it's begining to heat up and we're leaving on vacation to Washington DC in 2 weks.  Do I still need to wear those things  (I don't want to ruin th results) but i think I'll be miserable in that heat!

I work in an airconditioned office so no problem there, but outside as a tourist, ugh!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2010

My DIEP is 4 weeks from today. (YIKES)

Anyway, here is a minor question that occurred to me today. Did everyone take their luggage with them to the hospital? I'm staying at a different place after than before.

• sheridangirl
    edited July 2010

T2, Wow site seeing a day after stage 2, Keep us posted on how you handle it!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2010

2t- sounds like you are having a great time..Even when its so hot!

Good luck friday-They may give you 2 Dom Outfits

Oddball- Hope your surgery went great today!

Amy- yes, We brought Our luggage to the Hospital- they have a closet for you

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

2T is living it up! Go girl! 

Her are the upcoming July surgeries, 2T and others....

• Jul 23 - 2Tzus - Stage 2 DIEP, Dr. S., NOLA. Fairway again?
    • July 28 - Cat1 - Stage 2 & Hysterectomy, Dr. D., SCSH, NOLA.
    • Jul 29- Sheridangirl - Stage 1 bilateral free hip flap, Dr. S., NOLA. Hope Lodge. Hospital?
    • July 30 - Sueinfl - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA.
    • July 30 - Minnesota - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA, SCSH
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2010

2Tzus~ They gave me 2 dom. outfits after stage 2.  One to wash and one to wear.   I couldn't have done it with just one. 

So most likely I will be heading south again for a revision.  I am not sure how much revision I will be having but I know so far I will at least be having my right nipple rebuilt. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

Would a couple of you who've had GAP or hip flaps kindly go to this thread: "NEED HELP! Free Flap - from inner thigh or buttocks"?  The woman who started the thread is concerned that if she had GAP, she wouldn't be able to lie down and no one there has been able to reassure her that it's not an issue.  Thanks!

• laughlines
    edited July 2010

Gladly - thanks for the heads up Sandy.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited July 2010

2tzus - I love that you're getting to see/do so much! Also, glad the heat isn't stopping you - I'm getting a little worried about that, but figure it must cool down some at night - we could sleep by day and run around by night!

You guys would not believe how many dom outfits I have now! I'm so glad I saved them all!

Cat - We will definitely stop by to see you on Thursday! Chances are you will not be checked out yet. Be sure to put your name by your door! I think Sue and I have pre-ops close together. Also, since you're staying so close, if you feel up to it, you could stop by and visit Lynn (Sheridan Girl) and I maybe Friday night (lynn will be cogent, I may not be!) or Saturday before your leave.

Lynn - I will definitely see you! Remember to put up your name! And maybe get-together Wednesday nite with you and Sue?

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

2T - I wish I was too!!! I am glad you had so much fun on the swamp tour! And don't worry, they will give you an extra dom so that you can wash the other one! I didn't bother bringing my old ones - they  made sure I had 2 before I left the hospital. Good luck tomorrow!!!

Sandy - already visited that thread! 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited July 2010

Sandy - I'll go over there now...

Everybody who chimed in about the lipo... thank you... this takes alot of patience... good to know I shouldn't be expecting much 8 weeks out..

Hope everyone is having a good week :) 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2010

3 more weeks before NOLA.. What is there recovery time like, as you all know I always seem to take longer to heal. Also last night I felt a hugh bunch under my left breast. Could the flap have  moved down. 1 of my breast is larger than the other by quite a bit. Could this be why. Good luck to everyone there this week you are in my thoughts and prayers. One more question, where all can they do lipo. Because I am large and i know this is the oppotunity of a lifetime.

• camiam
    edited July 2010

Ladies, I have another question. I do not have LE but I have had lymph nodes removed from both sides now. I understand that to be very safe (and I really want to avoid LE; I only had SNB on each side, but I understand that still leaves a risk), I shouldn't have blood draws or IVs in my arms now. Dr. S wrote me an order to have my stage 2 pre-op labwork drawn from my foot. I went into my local lab today and two different techs tried to draw blood from both my feet. They could not get anything. :(  I asked them to stop after 3 tries. It wasn't extremely painful at the time, but my feet have been aching horribly all day. And I don't know what to do now about getting my bloodwork done...much less about the IV they'll use for the upcoming surgery. I do NOT want to use my arms. Who here has both arms with missing lymph nodes, and what do you do for blood draws/IVs? Thanks in advance. :)

• sheridangirl
    edited July 2010

Minn,

I talked to sue last night for an hour and a half....Lot of good info and yes, lets get together Wed night. I have my pre op at 4:00 and then will go to Hope Lodge to check in. Then Sue and I and my daughters can meet you down at the french quarter if you want. I think my girls and I are going to take the Honey Island Tour. Does anyone know how much it costs and did you have them transport you?

I have not been able to sleep all night for a week. I am having lots of weird dreams and I am so nervous.

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2010

Greetings all!    You ladies are really busy!  

Camiam - I do have lymphedema in my right arm, but I had lymph nodes removed from both sides.   They removed 33 (all they could find!) on my right side, and 4 from my left side.   I had a SNB on my left at the same time they did my BMx, and luckily that side was clear.  

Anyway, I have always used my left arm for blood pressure and sticks and have not had any issues. 

Looking forward to seeing so many of you in October!  

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2010

Camiam - I do blood draws in my feet due to LE.  There is a thread over there which describes some good tips for that. The only place in my area which will do it is the hospital.   My local labs won't touch me, which is very inconvenient.  As far as surgery goes, they'll probably use your neck, which sounds awful, but it really ok.  I had to have them use my neck for Stage 2.  They are just SO good, it's just fine.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2010

Camiam, I am in the same position-SNB on both sides. I have had blood drawn twice and after quite a bit of discussion both lab techs agreed to just try my foot and there were (eventually) successful. They use a butterfly-a teeny needle. For my surgery for the implant exchange, I asked them to put my IV in my foot. The anesthesiologist told me there's no risk of LE with SNB (wrong) and that LE is really rare now (wrong again) but agreed to my request.  But then after multiple sticks was unsuccessful so just put it in my arm. Fortunately I've had no problems so far but like you want ot do everything I can to prevent LE.

I've been wondering what they'll do for my upcoming stage one surgery. kcshreve, can they not use the foot because of the things they put on your legs to prevent blood clots?