Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2010

Melinda that sound horrible!  Have you tried baby powder or some other type of poweder on your legs before you put the girdle on?  I lined my sides with 4x4's because I had bruising there that hurt. Maybe that would work?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited July 2010

Ick, Melinda!

I had a recent "chafing" problem from my bike shorts, and using some lotion (aka "butt butter") on my areas as well as directly on the fabric helped me a lot.

Don't know if that's a viable option for you or not, though.

Glad the girls are looking great!!!! Hang in there, I know you're frustrated.

Anne

• AnneW
    edited July 2010

mchas, I was exercising about 8 weeks after my SGAP. I started with rehab/PT to get my muscle tone back while the drains were still in. Then increased my walking speed and elevation, then my bike. Running or jogging just plain felt odd on my butt--probably a bit of seroma that sloshed and rubbed. I was climbing in the rock gym at 8-9 weeks out.

I'm not a seroma expert, but I'm sure someone else can tell you what it felt like. Incicsion numbness is normal. Worse for some than others. I didn't have it much. More of a tight feeling across my hips when I tried to scross my legs.

Don't swim or hot tub for at least a week after the drains come out.

Anne

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2010

mchas - definitely hold off on the swimming until those incisions are good and closed. In fact I always used to tell my patients that ALL scabs need to have fallen off completely before immersing in water. I am with Anne - what about biking if you are bored with walking? It took me a while to run too... but then again, I am not really a runner and am barely doing 3-4 miles now... LOL. Guess I had better get working on that! As far as seromas - I had them. If it aches and you can push on your butt and it makes a wave like a water bed, you probably have a seroma! If so, just go have them drain it. My local PS did it for me... uh, several times! It is not bad and it will help that cavity to heal faster.

Melinda - I am with Trishia for padding up the hip area with 4x4 or abd pads... but that doesn't really sound like the area where you are having pain. Does it help, or can you even, try to get it up higher??? Sorry. I am no help. Maybe call the Center and ask if you can move to Spanx or something???

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

OMG - ladies this week - Good luck and thinking of you!!!

Anne - Are you back from your bike ride? LOL... butt butter... ishy squishy gooey... LOL.. I didn't use on my last century... and I didn't miss it (thank goodness!). I love my shorts... :)

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2010

This is a question for those of you who traveled for stage 2 SGAP (I'm going to Charleston)... do you think I could go it alone?  I think the only hard part would be the trip home, but I could pack light and check my bag.  I'm hoping to save some $$ by not paying for my bf to come with me and not having to board my diabetic cat.  What do you think, could I do it?  I'm not expecting anything major being done during surgery... small amount of lipo, maybe some minor breast shaping. Probably won't get nipples this surgery.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2010

I arrived this afternoon at the Hope Lodge and just received a call from Eve/Minn. I am waiting for Lynn/Sheridan and daughters to arrive in a bit and then we are sharing a taxi and meeting Eve and hubby for dinner. I was hoping Alaina/bbmom could make it, but work will prevent her from meeting us.

I am fighting nerves and am so looking forward to dinner for the great company and distraction. I guess I am hoping this will be the last surgery for a while. I have been really lucky so far with no complications and am afraid my luck will run out. I start back to classes in three weeks and will not have the option of taking more time off. The good part is that it is stressful, but not chemo. Chemo kicked my backside.

Cat, I hope to check in on you and Lynn after my pre-op at the Center tomorrow afternoon. I hope you are doing great. Both Eve and I will be there for 3pm blue pen mark-ups.  ;->

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2010

Glad you're landed Sue. Ugh - pre-op nerves are the worst, aren't they? I'll be thinking of you, and Cat! Sheridan! Minn! Strength in numbers! Go ladies!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2010

kcshreve- the swelling is in the underside of the breast.  My trunk itself is ok.  It is all around where the incision line was before the skin necrosis issue and totally resolves with laying on my back overnight...It isn't the SNB side either.  I am hoping that it is maybe size related (as messed up as these things are  - they still fill a DD!) thanks for your input...

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited July 2010

Sue,Eve, Sheridan & Cat,

Thinking of you all tonight and sending you healing healthy vibes for a smooth procedure and swift recovery!Cool

You've got my # if you need me!

Marcia

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2010

Thinking of you all ladies. Minn how many times is this you've got to sleep with the Dr. LOL

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2010

Thinking of Sue, Minn, Sheridan and Cat tonight too! Let us know how everything goes:)

• AnneW
    edited July 2010

jeskachi, I think you will be fine traveling on your own after Stage 2. It should be a direct flight for you, and you'll be tired. But it should be doable.

Nordy, yeah, I finished my ride. It was a blast, except for the strong headwinds that always seemed to happen when we were going up a long hill!! What brand shorts do you wear? My new (expensive) Pearl Izumi ones created the raw spot. Someone told me to get Assos brand, but I'm not ready to spend $180 for bike shorts. Then again, that's what I spent on my last TWO pairs of PIs that didn't hold up as well as my old ones...

Ballantino, if you're reading this, I sent you a PM!

Anne

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2010

Jeskachi~ I think it will depend on how much you have done at stage 2.  I had lifting restrictions, so I needed help.  I am pretty sure it is SOP at NOLA that you have to have a travel companion for stage 2. 

Good luck to all the ladies!!!!!!  

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2010

Melinda~ There is also this stuff called Glide that is made for chaffing.  It looks like a stick of deoderant but is absolutely wonderful.  When I was training for a half marathon I needed it because my thighs rub together until they are raw.  This stuff made all of my problems go away.  Hang in there it will get better.  ((hugs))

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited July 2010

Sallym, LOL! This will be number 5!

We had a great dinner last night with Sueinfla and Sheridan Girl at Cafe Pontalba right on Jackson Square. Lynn(SG) had wonderful blue markings and regaled us with tales of her may chickens and dogs! Sue looks great and I think we might be kindred spirits! Hopefully we'll meet up at our pre-op - pick-up in 45 minutes! OMG! We all have been having stress headaches and squirmy stomachs. Tho my husband and I strolled Bourbon last nite, no beads were to be had. I'm surprised how lively it is here, despite the heat - our driver told us yesterday that business in way, way up since the Super Bowl. Had lunch at K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen on Chartres just now - great! Everything was great! But now I'm worried that my stomach will not be flat for my pre-op! The sweet potato fries are to die for!!!! Sue and I hope to see Cat today, if she isn't checked out from SCSH yet!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

I am traveling on business so not able to check in as often as I'd like.

I hope all the recent surgeries went well, and the upcoming ones!! There are a lot of you there now! 

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

2T - I am so glad to hear that all is well and that you had so much fun down there. I will miss you in October, but I totally understand and think it is so fabulous that you have found such a good friend through all of this! When you head down for tatts - please check in with Dragonfly! She will be there then and she has been waiting for this through treatment! 

Anne - I wear Pearl Izumis!!! BUT I am very particular within that line - I only like the Elites w/the red chamois/lining. The ones with the blue are crap. LOL My sister in law has one that she swears by but they were nearly $200 and since the PIs work well for me I haven't looked elsewhere! I will try to find out which ones they are... but it all depends on what works the best for each of us, since all our butts are different! The Elites go on sale a couple times a year at REI and Performance Bike (online if not available by you). Also, Bicycle Tires Direct.com has sales frequently throughout the year and I think they carry the line my SIL likes. 

Jaimie- I am going to be needing that training advice in a couple weeks! 

Minn and Sue - My thoughts are with you tonight and tomorrow. Cat and Sheridan I hope you are both recovering well!

• Nordy
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, have I mentioned recently how much I love shopping for jeans at the Buckle? I went there for shorts today (cha ching - good thing I don't shop there often) and had yet another great experience. I am going to have to take a picture of my butt and post it on here! The jeans make it look so good! AND I bought a Fleur de Lis necklace for cheap - but the shorts weren't so I guess it all evens out in the end.
  • Minnesota
    edited July 2010

2tzus - so sorry to hear about your friend. I also have a very dear friend who is just hanging on, I agree this does seem to be an epidemic.

Thanks for the positve thoughts from so many of you. I guess this is really happening tomorrow - oops! today now. AYE YI YI! (how do you spell that?) As per usual, my husband is asleep and I am awake. All washed off with my Dial soap shower and my hair wet. Sue & I got to see Cat after our pre-op appointments and she looks really good. Lynn (Sheridan Girl) was just getting out of surgery, but not yet awake, but we were able to visit with her daughters for a bit. My husband tried out the pina colada icee and so then Sue and I had to try the Pepsi flavor. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So while Sue and I were waiting for our pre-ops, one of the nurses told us that Dr. Sullivan would be coming along soon, as he was just finishing up a surgery (I guess Lynn's) so then Sue said to me that he had a really good reason for being late because he is such a perfectionist and, thus, he is the best. Just at this point, I got called in to see Dr, D and I called back to her that Dr. D is both a perfectionist in his surgery and a perfectionist in being on time, so he's the best! But we never got a chance to leg wrestle over it... Maybe at our post-ops! And boy, you gals, you will not believe what I did tonite at the Funky Pirate!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2010

It is so wonderful to have friends while going through all this, even though I hate seeing any of you having to go through this.I don't know how I would get through this without you.

Dr. S is tightening up my right breast a bit, adding nips, removing a bitty patch of fat necrosis. He attacked my backside with the blue pen with fervor (I thought he would be just touching up the dogears) and then said the words I longed to hear..."Let's take a look at your stomach." YES! No plication, but a huge section is marked for removal and lipo, lipo, everywhere. I am going to be one hurting, happy puppy.  Does that make me a sick puppy? This is the only time I have hoped for pain at the hands of someone, I swear!

As Eve said, Cathy looked wonderful. I hated missing Lynn, but will see her here at the lodge probably Sunday. Her daughters, Becky and Rachael, are wonderful. They offered one of them to stay with me today and night, since I will not have anyone until tomorrow. I was so touched, but know I will be fine by myself and sleeping the time away.

Alaina picked me up at the Lodge and took me to dinner. I have discovered corn crawfish chowder and am in love. Then it was off to Morning Call for coffee (decaf) and beignets. That was the best decaf I have ever tasted! It was so good seeing Alaina and she looks amazing for going through chemo again. Heck, she looks amazing, period.

Eve, I will meet you Sunday for our leg wrestling.  Jackson Square? Next to the guy with the rainbow witch's hat?  I hope you are having a wonderful surgery right now and will be done soon. I can't think of a better spirit to be kin to...

2T, I am so happy for your successful surgery. I am so sorry about your friend, Maria. There are 2 1/2 million of us survivors according to the ACS just in the US. How can we pool our collective knowledge and experience and get this damn thing beat? I am losing faith in the oncologists and pharmaceutical companies, I see hope in all of us.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

2tzus, I'm sorry that you've lost your friend Maria.  It's hard to believe that this beast is taking women from us still.   I have been so busy with work and with working on the fundraiser for Breastoration, plus trying to come up with a list of foundations we could sent grant proposals to.  I hear you Sue, on the need for a cure, and there are millions and millions of dollars being pumped into that.  I lost my mom 26 years ago and it seems like not much has changed since bc took her life, which is frustrating.  However, we can make an immediate change in the lives of women affected by this by donating to Breastoration (www.Breastoration.org).  I feel that I have received such a gift by being priviledged enough to go to NOLA for the completion of my reconstruction--I know that my result would have been really ugly if I'd stayed with my first surgeon.   We can help other women not as fortunate as ourselves by making a donation.   The Center has already done one pro-bono surgery and the process is underway to get three more ladies going too.  Our wonderful doctors have committed to doing at least four pro-bono cases per year, but those ladies need transportation, food, lodging and possibly help with childcare while they are away, etc.   I have much more enthusiasm for making a huge impact on one woman's life, and I urge you to join us in our effort to help more women enjoy the beautiful results we've received with our gifted, perfectionist and great humanitarian surgeons in NOLA. 

I just spoke with the director of CAGNO (Cancer Association of Greater New Orleans) and we are still trying to procure our desired location for the fundraiser, which will likely be on 10/28 very close to the Center.  I'm also working on trying to get a singer who is very involved in raising funds for breast cancer charities, so stay tuned!   In addition, we need donations of raffle prizes and items for a silent auction, so if you can help or you have any ideas.....if you know of a company that donates, we'd love to reach out to them.  Thanks!

Sandy

• Minnesota
    edited July 2010

This is Minnesota's (Eve) husband writing. Dr. D. just came out and said he's done with surgery. It took the four hours he predicted. Eveything went smoothly. He commented that all the fat he took out he put back in othert places. She should be wearing a bikini again soon. She'll be out of the recovery room in about and hour and a half.

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2010

Thinking of you Sue, Minn, & everyone else who was up today! I can't believe they're so generous with the lipo & "re-shaping" while they're in there. Is all that really just a freebie??

I'm up next Friday. I wonder if I'm going to get to have the extra lipo, too? I sure hope so, and I'll certainly be asking for it. :) Dr S said he expects 3 hrs for my surgery. Ugh, not looking forward to waking up from that, but it's allll worth it in the end.

Happy recovery, today's surgery ladies! 

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2010

Hope that everything went well for those who had surgery this week!  I am very sorry to hear about your friend 2tzus.  This disease is really awful.  I hope you are doing ok.

Can I ask a question about what to expect with the "dom" outfit.  I am up for a stage 1.5 (breast lift, scar revision, tummy incision revision and - yay - lipo).  Is it just the lower half of the body that is girdled or is it the breasts and everything? (sorry if this is dumb question - post stage 1 with my previous PS I didn't get any post op bra or instructions and basically ended up walking around with an ace bandage around my chest for 5 weeks to hold my dressings in place).  Do people just wear light dresses over it?  Will I even feel like being in public?

thanks to all for your insight! 

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

2T - I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I don't know how I missed that the first time I read through!

CanDsMom - the dom outfit goes from above or below your knee depending on your height and what you are having done then ends just below the breasts. It zips/hooks along each side and is totally crotchless and black (hence the dominatrix name). It is supportive to say the least and I think everyone has varying levels of comfort with it. I wore loose shorts, skirts, pants, jeans, whatever, over it, but looser clothing, I think, works a bit better. And yes, you will feel like being out in public! Nobody will even know there is a dom outfit between you and your Calvins (LOL - am I dating myself?)... unless you lose your pants like Minnesota did... LOLOLOLOL! But even then, I don't think anyone saw (right?)! 

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2010

CandDsMom, the dom girdle is like this, except in black:

http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/853.html

It comes up to just under your breasts. It has an open crotch so you don't need to take it off until the next time you shower. 

And you get a post-surgical bra that opens in front. It's soft & stretchy.

Ask for two of each so you can wear one set while you're washing the other.

I've always just worn loose clothing over it all...I'm not a dress person & don't even own a dress. It's only for a few weeks, though. If you can see my profile pic, when that was taken, I was 2 weeks post-stage 1 surgery, and was wearing both the dom and the bra underneath running shorts & a tank top. By that time, I felt like being out. The first week after surgery, not so much.

• bbmom
    bbmom Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2010

Hi Ladies,

I just spoke wtih Sue. She sounded good. The nurse came in to take her bp so she said she'd call me back if she was able to stay awake. I told her I'd let all of you know she's OK.

God Bless!

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

bb - thank you for the update on Sue! Let her know we are thinking about her... and Eve!

Ladies, I have my second ever sprint triathlon tomorrow and I am nervous as all get out... worse than the first one I did. Wish me luck! (and not to drown...)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

Hey Nordy, best of luck to you tomorrow!  I know you will not drown.  My trainer has me running 1/4 mile jaunts during workouts and I want to go out tomorrow morning and try running one minute, walking one minute for a mile or two to get my endurance up.  I hadn't run in ten years, so it feels really good to be able to do it again and I'd like to be able to do more of it.

Camiam, yes, the contouring and scupting is a gift!