Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Mariposa109
    Mariposa109 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2010

I just wanted to hear from you ladies  that have had stage 1... How did you do as far as sleeping and staying comfortable after discharge? I am at hope lodge and wondering if I should go buy some pillows??? I don't think 2 pillows is going to cut it...

Mari 

• Mariposa109
    edited October 2010
    2tzus~ Can't wait to meet you tomorrow!! We should definitely go out for dinner.
  • Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

2tzus - How were those beignets?! I love that city, too!

Mariposa - Everyone is nervous before surgery - you're in good company! I would definitely say 2 pillows are not enough. Maybe they have some extra pillows you could ask for? This has to have been an issue for the other ladies who sayed there. What about asking for an extra blanket or two and rolling them up and using them to form "the nest"?

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

And I'm getting really nervous, too, because I only have two weeks to go - and I've already been thru this plenty of times before!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Mariposa - I was just there at the hope lodge in September for my stage 1. I did not use the bed after I was discharged. I laid blankets and pillows on their recliner and slept there. it was much easier to get in and out of and so comfy.

So you stage 2'ers.... I am going down on November 18th for stage 2. However right before stage 1 I was laid off from my job. So I've been trying to decide to look for work or wait? Well to get unemployment I have to look. I have 2 interviews today actually and have no idea what do I tell them IF IF IF I am offered a job? I figure I'll wait til they offer it to me, then say I have surgery, and pray that doesn't make them change their mind. 

My question is, how do I approach this, and how long do I need to be off? I'm hoping it's not long at all :( My surgery is a Thursday so I figure through that weekend, the next week, and weekend??? 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2010

Best wishes to Mariposa and everyone else in NOLA and elsewhere having surgery this week!

Prepare to be amazed!

Marcia

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly, I was off 4 weeks and then worked 4 hours a day for 2 weeks and then full time after my stage 2.

Ladies, I am flying in on Friday so I will miss the dinner party but I am planning on stopping at the Center to visit so please put your screen names on the doors. And let the nurses know if it is ok that I visit.

I had lipo on my back but that was August 20th and my back is still hurting bad, I have an appt with Laura on November 2nd. I feel like I am whining but it hurts after sitting any length of time and I have never had a bad back. Any suggestions

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Holy cow, 4 weeks??? :( I better just put the job search on hold, I really didn't think it would be that long. Thank you for the answer though, I really appreciate it!!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

I got a date confirmed for stage two today, and I am SO happy because somehow they got my insurance to approve St Charles for the surgery. So Spring, can you put me down for Dec 21, stage 2 with Dr D at SCSH. And it looks like you be be there that day having your tatoos:)

Today I am 8 weeks out from stage one. I have days that I feel tired, and am still gradually working up to my pre- surgery exercise but am generally feeling really good. I want to share something that I experienced after surgery that really took me by surprise. About a week or so post-op, around the time I got home, I got slammed by several days of an pretty intense post-anesthesia/post-surgery depression. It was weird and very unpleasant. Fortunately after I think 3 days I just woke up in the morning and felt normal again. It felt like something went haywire in my brain for a few days, and then suddenly all the chemicals starting working right again. 

I don't recall other women talking about this on BC.org, so I mention this hoping that it might help someone else  to hear about my experience. OK, enough sharing for one night;)

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010

Mari, I stayed at the Hope Lodge but I slept in the recliner after surgery rather than trying to sleep in the bed.  It wasn't too bad.  I put a sheet over the chair just so it was a little more comfortable.  I honestly didn't have any problems sleeping at all.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly - I went back to work five days after Stage 2, but my job doesn't involve any strenuous physical activity. It was a little rough to be back at five days out, but it was fine by a week or so out. Of course you will get a big range of responses on this one.

Amy - congratulations on getting St Charles for Stage 2. And thanks for posting about the depression you experienced. I didn't have that after Stage 1, but I did a bit after Stage 2. It's rough, and takes time.

• lilmismuffit
    lilmismuffit Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly-

I am a Charleston girl but I wanted to pipe in....took four weeks off for stage 2...going back on Friday and I could have gone back after two weeks.....everybody heals differently but I had lipo on thighs, stomach and a TDAP which was done by Dr. Massey in Charleston.  Here is the link if anyone is interested in what this is....

http://drmarga.com/TDAP.html

She took fat and skin from under my armpit and back which left me with a 9 inch incision and I would still have been able to go back in two weeks.  The only reason I took 4 was because during stage 1 I had drains for 4 weeks and I was really sick with the Keflix and was worried I would have the same problem this time!!!  Hope this helps.

• Mariposa109
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly~ Thanks! I think I will do the same!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly- I returned to (light) work about 1.5 weeks after Stage 2, which I had a reduction and lipo.  Mostly, I experienced early fatigue, so couldn't do as much in a day, but could manage to do quite a lot.  I'm remembering feeling more energy every day, but fatigue was my most noticeable challenge. If you could work around that, getting extra rest, a bit more sleep, etc, you'd probably do fine.

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

Sally - How long will you be in New Orleans? I also still had a very tender back as long as you have had. I had my surgery at the end of July. It's actually still tender now, tho not nearly as bad. I just don't want to go resting my hands on my waist or back.

I also experienced depression post-stage 2 the first time around - and much more than a few days. This time I didn't.

Amy - You'll get to see all the Christmas decorations in New Orleans!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks so much everyone for the info on going back to work. I haven't been offered a job yet, but IF I am before stage 2, I'd like to give them an idea at least up front. Who am I kidding, I'd rather not tell them until after I start LOL but that's not fair so.... Anyway. I think after stage 1, I could have gone back in 2 maybe 3 weeks? The worst part was the drains. For stage 2, I'm mainly wanting my left breast reduced to match my right (both are new to me, but not identical in size) and the lipo on my belly and hips maybe. I'd love more but hate to be in too much pain. Course that depends on if I'm working, and what the good surgeon thinks is best!!

Mariposa, I hope you sleep good in the chair, I put one of the blankets under me to make it more comfy. The thing I noticed in the hope lodge was the temp in the room. It was either turn on the A/C and be in an arctic blast, or turn it off and be stuffy and sweaty LOL!! Sweet dreams, and let us know how you do in the chair!! Since being home I've slept mainly in my recliner, some in my bed with about 5 pillows, one being the big wedge pillow!! Oh stomach sleeping how I miss you....:) 

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2010

Hi Ladybug,

I did have reduction and lift during Stage 2, and he did a wonderful job.  However, since he was working with GINORMOUS objects to begin with :) my surgery was long, and we both knew that coming in again was a possibility.  I am also a bit lopsided, so getting that fixed will mean a lot. I do think that it is not common to need an additional stage after Stage 2, so you'll be fine, I would imagine.  BTW, I did nipple sparing and had one flat side after Stage 1.  During my pre-op for Stage 2, Dr. D said it might very well be due to swelling and return soon.  Sure enough, shortly after surgery there it was...no longer flat!  He's so good!  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Ann and Amy, I added your dates above!

Here are upcoming ladies!

• Nov 18 - Dragonfly1976 - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA
    • Nov 19 - AnneW - Stage 2B, NOLA, Fairway, Dr. M.
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks springtime, you do an amazing job at keeping the schedule up to date! Appreciate all your work on this thread!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010
    Oh gee thanks, Dragonfly! this is me blushing.... :)

b
  • AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

For ladies who stayed at FAIRWAY hospital--any recommendations on area lodging? Only anticipating 3 nights, and won't want hubby to have to drive into the city...

Anne

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2013

2Tzus & Mariposa, I am praying for you today.  I can't wait to hear how well you are doing. 

Re going back to work: I had surgery on Friday & was working (via remote) on Tuesday. I did go in to the office for 5 hours on Wednesday, but I found it exhausting (could be because I was also driving my Mom to numerous appts for the rest of the day).  If you had a job that would allow you to work remotely via internet, you could work as soon as you are off of pain meds.   

Re flat Nipples:  I also had nipple sparing and ended up with a flat nipple after stage one (more like inverted).  During stage two, Dr. D did a fat graft.  The nipple isn't nearly as flat as it was & I am hoping it gets more normal as swelling goes down.

• polamom
    polamom Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Hello,

Had my surgery yesterday with Dr. D.   I haven't see him yet.  I saw a lady.  I was too groggy to figure out who she was.   I am off morphine now.   I got bad news today  (for me it was) it was in a lymph node.  So he took several out and will let me know the results by next week.   It was a hard blow to me, because no one expected it.    I was hesitant go get out of my nice comfy bed this morning, but honestly feel better now that I have.    I'll try to get a photo in my profile here so you can watch for me.   I hope your surgery went well today!! I'm sure we'll see each other at hope lodge during recovery, Mariposa.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Polamom, I'm very sorry for the unexpected news you received.   It sounds like you are recovering very quickly, but I'm sure it will be tough waiting for the pathology report.  I'm sure many prayers and thoughts are being and will be sent your way.  

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

((((((((((Polamom))))))))))Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.  Stage 2 is less than a month away.  Daughters wedding all done, and now I have too much time on my hands! lol  But still doesnt feel real to be going back yet. Congrats to those recently done, and best wishes to those coming up soon!!

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

Polamom - So sorry, too, that you had a positive node. Hopefully Dr. D. and his team stopped it in its tracks!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2010

Polamom-sending hugs and prayers your way. We are here for you.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Those of you in NOLA now might see that they are filming a movie called "The Courier" starring Mickey Rourke.   The costuming company contacted us this week to embellish two black Elvis style shirts with thousands of crystals, apparently for a scene they are shooting tomorrow.   Actor David August came by my office today to pick up one of them for a fitting appointment, (the shirts are from his clothing line) and we were in the midst of adding crystals to some triangular pieces of fabric they'll be adding to pants to make them into bell-bottoms.  We really gave it our all to get everything done in time for them, and the third shirt (given to us last night) was sent today via overnight delivery.  The address was faxed to me this afternoon, and that's when I discovered that the location is NOLA!!!  I asked if I could visit the set when I'm there in two weeks, and our contact is going to check with costuming and let me know.  So, if anyone spots Mickey or his stunt double running around the city in a black shirt with crystals all over the cuffs, collar and yoke, the thousands of crystals were all hand-applied and I am breathing a big sigh of relief tonight that we got it all done in time for them!

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

Polamom.....sorry to hear your news, but know that you are in excellent hands. Lots of prayers coming your way. All these docs at NOLA know what they are doing and will take optimal care of you.  

I have not updated in a while. Had stage I with Dr Sullivan Sept.24. Three weeks out today for right Mastectomy with Hip flap reconstruction and Left delayed hip flap reconstruction (had left mastectomy and rads 2 years ago). Still have 2 hip drains at about 100cc per day. They are a pain but I'll take the drains over a seroma nightmare anyday.

I still were spandex because the compression feels good on my hip insisions and rear end. I have started going braless hoping that my radiated left side will drop a bit. don't know if there is any logic to that but it just feels good to not be constricted on top (I did wear the post op bras for 2 weeks 24/7 as prescribed). I'm not worried about my right pendulous breast because I know Sullivan is going to do a lift on the right when I go back for stage 2 hopefully in December (waiting on insurance approval)

First of all......all the advice/info I received from everyone here was dead on. THANK YOU ALL!!

Secondly.....my boobs are completely awesome. I cried and cried when they woke me up from surgery. The wonderful nurses were like "Honey what's wrong?" I whispered in my post surgery voice "I have two boobs"  They just started cracking up. Then they had to explain to my husband that I was crying happy tears. (I had uniboob for two years while I researched surgeons who could rebuild me without implants). Just like others here posted, I didn't realize how much I missed having two breasts.

Thirdly.....Sullivan/LaGaurd and the entire staff are so wonderful. It's a rarity to get such skilled surgeons who are actually really nice people. They are truley artists.

And finally.....to go through all the travel etc. and to not have to worry about transportation or schedualling Drs. appts or booking hotels. It was so overwhelming to just have to deal with 7 hours of surgery, what a relief everything else is taken care of (Thank you Katie).

My prayers for all the upcoming surgery and continued prayers for fast recoveries.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

fourboymom - you read my mind on so many things. I don't think the members of the center in NOLA will ever truly understand all that they've done for each and every one of us. It was the best experience I've had along this awful bumpy windy rollercoaster ride!

I can so relate on the drains let me tell ya!!! I had my surgery on the 14th of September (Stage 1 w/ Dr Sullivan) I just took one drain out last weekend it was finally down to 20-22cc's a day! I didn't think the time would ever come, LOL! However my left hip drain is still bonding with me! :) It's holding steady at about 40-45cc's a day! Last week Stacy said go ahead and pull it, but I was nervous, so I thought I'll hold out another week and see. It's still holding steady at 40-45cc's a day! What the heck? It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. So I called and talked to Lara last night. She said I'm borderline for pulling it or leaving it, but it's been almost 5 weeks, and she said go ahead and pull it, but to make sure and wear that big bulky velcro compression thing I received when I was discharged for 2 weeks after the drain is out today.

Any thoughts on this?