Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

Xfitgirl - I am so thrilled that CNN has picked this up and is going to follow your story!  We need this out there more!   Oh, how I wish I had known more than I did when I chose implants.  What a huge mistake that has been for me.  No one steered me to this option. Only found it via bc.org and that's after I was having so many issues that I even looked at the Free Flap threads here. I hope to follow you and have my implants removed and SGap on 11/2 in NOLA.  Hugs, and good luck!

PS - are you in the Atlanta area?  If so pm me if you want - I live north of Atlanta up 85.

• journey
    edited October 2010

Springtime - Can you please add me to the surgery list?  November 2nd - Stage 1 SGap with Dr. Massey and Dr. S. assisting.  Thank you!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited October 2010
    Awesome Liz... great idea ... good luck!! Smile
  • Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2013

Thanks Journey. No I live in Naples, FL but am connecting in Atlanta.

Great to hear from you holtbolt! Thx.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2010

Got it! Found out how to add to my signature :)

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

Sandy, it looks like I'll be arriving Tues Nov 2 and will be there until around Nov 8. This time is a bit trickier since I've now reacted to every antibiotic.  I will be desensitized at my allergist's office on Monday to clindomycin, which will be used during and after surgery.  I've not done it this way before, but as I'm told I should not have any reactions to this med for the duration of this single course.  After I stop taking it, I will remain allergic to all antibiotics again.  What a pain!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Hello Everyone.

Tuesday I will be three weeks recovering from my stacked DIEP and stacked hip surgery.  I have been doing pretty good overall but I thought I would be a little less uncomfortable.  I have only two hip drains left and no problem there but my breast still feel really tight and yesterday just hurt all day.  The difficult one (bc) is very bruised still and I don't have much range of motion.  Has anyone else experienced this type of difficulty?  Maybe I am just overly anxious to be rid of the discomfort that I have lived with for the past two years due to implants.

I would appreciate any impute you would have or suggestions.  Like can we ice them the way I did after mastectomy?

• journey
    edited October 2010

XFit - lol - You know that they say to get to Heven or Hell you have to go thru Atlanta Hartsfield Airport first!  (Love Naples btw!)

Okay Melinda you are scaring me.  I am doing this surgery to get rid of the implant pain and lack of motion.  I'll be very anxious to hear what others have to say.  I do think I read some place that we are not to ice.  Hopefully you will get some sage advice here very soon.

Kcshreve - so sorry you are having issues with antibiotic, but good to know that there is a workaround.  Hopefully we can meet while we are there.  Looks like Dejaboo, Nordy and Gin52 will all be there around the same time as well.  I'll try to remember to put my screen name on the door so we can visit.

• melindastn
    edited October 2010

Journey,  Did not mean to scare you at all.  Even though I have not healed as quickly as I was hoping I will tell you that they are better than the implants already. My good foob is awesome looking and feeling.  The BC side has never had much luck from the beginning.lol  I had a lot of scare tissue under the arm that I believe Dr. D really worked on to relieve the pressure on that side.   They look and feel like real breast which in itself an improvement.  I have no regrets at all.  I just would like to know what the healing time line has been for others.  I know in my heart this is going to be so much better than the implant misery. I just would like to know how many more weeks until the swelling goes down and the pressure leaves. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Melinda, I didn't have the issues you speak of with the DIEP, but I did after the mastectomy as far as range of motion. If it keeps it up you could look at PT for it to get some exercises for it? I know I was given those stretchy bands to work with and do shoulder rolls to loosen it up. I went a year with no breasts, they do feel heavy to me still and I'm almost 5 weeks out. Not in a bad way though. Also my left side is (WAS) the cancer side and had mild LE so that may be why I have issues. I know for me  I'm single, I'm beyond independent, so this is really a struggle to have to ask for help, and not lift too much, but it's getting better each day. Try and just take it 1 day at a time, and if you truly have concerns call and talk to Dr D's nurse and ask for suggestions.

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Melinda:  Don't ice!  The docs performed micro-vascular surgery - they hooked up new blood vessels so you definitely don't want to stop the blood flow because then the flap would fail.  I had bilat. mastectomy/SGAP at the end of May.  I felt "engorged" (like when your milk comes in after having had a baby) for about 6-8 weeks, I think.  I feel that way again now, 3 weeks out of Stage 2, but not nearly as much. It does eventually go away.  For me, it was just uncomfortable (ibuprofen helped) not really painful.  I could lift my hands over my head (ie, to pull on a sweatshirt, etc.) the day after surgery.

Dragon: After my Stage 2, I went back to work on day 17.  Not nearly as tired as after Stage 1!! 

• mchas
    edited October 2010

Stage 2 gals:  When did you start to notice a change in your body shape from the lipo?  I know it takes awhile, and everybody is different, but I don't see any change at all, 3 weeks out.  I can fit back into my jeans now (although it's still a little ouchy to pull them on), but I want to see the effects from all this - I want my thighs to be gone!  ha!  It's weird how sore my thighs and back are to the touch, even though there's nothing noticeable to the eye...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

Melinda, I'm a big fan of PT starting about 3-4 weeks after Stage 1. Just really gentle stuff, passive range of motion and a little LE massage, even if you don't have LE. You don't want a frozen shoulder, but you shouldn't push too hard on your own.

Melissa, I noticed a change from my lipo right away. But the biggest change came about 6 months later, but that could also have been in part due to all the exercise I was doing. I think it was about the 3 month point that I went ahead and bought the new pants. I think so much has to do with your body to begin with...

Anne

• mchas
    edited October 2010

Thanks, Anne.  I was hoping I'd be able to get new pants!  That's the change I'm looking for.  I guess I see a little change, in that Dr. D. did a 'butt lift' - at least my husband thinks my butt looks "perkier"!  And I would assume that the change is different with everybody, per their pre-surgery shape.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

I'm a "plus size" sorta gal, I wonder what other ladies results are like. I hate to go through all of it and barely be able to see the difference! I need to work on my patience :) Wish there was something they could do about my arms, lol!!

• journey
    edited October 2010

Looking into hotels and it's kind of overwhelming.  Very expensive and rooms look tiny.  What hotels to y'all recommend?  My sister in law is going to be staying with me and I want her to have some space and it would be great not to have to go too far to sight-see and have a meal.

Will I be up to getting out for a while after day 5 or so??? (Stage 1)

Thanks for any advice.

• melindastn
    edited October 2010

Journey,

I stayed at the Ritz when I came for my consult and the price was great.  The room and the bathroom were large and very accommodating.  The beds and pillows were great.  We stayed at the Hampton Inn on St. Charles after surgery and it was the same price as the Ritz.  If the price has not gone up when I come for Stage 2 then I am heading back to the Ritz.  It was a real treat and the service was great.

Today has been better concerning the pain.  I know this is just a process that must take place day by day I just can't wait to have a day without pain.  Where would one find stretching exercises to begin with.  I was never given any after my mascetomy and always wondered if that effected my pain issues with my implants.

• mchas
    edited October 2010

We've stayed at the Le Pavillon ($66/night), Royal Sonesta ($79/night), both booked through Hotwire.com, the Bienville House Hotel ($129/night), and the Hilton Homewood Suites ($132/night).  I liked the location of the Bienville House the best (a lot more to walk to, about a block from the river), but the room was small and cramped, as was the room at the Le Pavillon.  Le Pavillon and Homewood Suites are across the street from each other, and about 1/2 way between St. Charles Hosp and the French Quarter, so location was ok - not quite in the thick of things.  Plenty of restaurants to walk to and very close to the street car line, but too far to walk (at least for me, after Stage 1 surgery) to the French Market - we took a cab there.  Homewood Suites had 2 rooms, a kitchenette, and free breakfast, so I liked that.  Royal Sonesta was the prettiest of the hotels, but right on Bourbon Street, so it was really icky coming out of there in the morning onto the littered, dirty streets.  But no noise at night, which I feared.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites, we always do. We like it there. You can get 1 or 2 bedroom suites. We're going to stay there in late December when we take our daughters with us! (Tattoo).

After lipo, I'd say it was 5-6 months until I felt comfortable in skinny jeans. I had a lot of work done, including abdominal plication and lower of the ab incision.

Journey, I am adding you now to the list above. 

Spring. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

The effects of the lipo can take months to be seen, like Springtime said. I had some 3 months ago and am starting to see some great results now, but I know it takes shorter or longer, all depending on the individual. Don't know what determines this. So don't give up hope if you don't see results right away! Also, your breasts will stay pretty hard for months. I had my surgery at the end of March and it has softened up a lot, but it took a long time and still has some firmer areas. It's surprising how long it can take for all the swelling to go down - I'm thinking I saw Dr. D say, on his forum, that sometimes it can even be like a year. In my experience (and I've gone thru this twice - one a DIEP 4 years ago, and now an S-GAP), about the time you stop checking all the time and kind of forget about watching how your body is progressing, then all of a sudden, one day, you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and go, "Oh my God - look at me!"

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

I had lipo in April and then again in Sept. and when I came home I didn't fit into any of my clothes (and not in a good way).  Slowly all the clothes are starting to fit and I am seeing positive changes everyday. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Swelling from lipo and from the tummy tuck effect of DIEP can take up to a year to resolve.  Even then, eating a lot of salt and heavy exercise can cause you to swell up.    I have always noticed an immediate improvement with the lipo, and that things very slowly continue to improve for six months or so.   

2tzus, BCBS didn't seem to balk at any of my revisions/overnight stays, but I think that there is now one outstanding payment from 2009 and I may need to call them about it.   The Center will let you know if you need to do anything to help out with insurance issues, and I think that's pretty rare. This year, we have HealthNet and they are denying just about everything, so I am concerned about my upcoming surgery.   My daughter is very ill and had a colonoscopy/endoscopy a few weeks ago, and they are giving us a hard time about that, even though her doctors did a bunch of less invasive testing first.   Yes, it would be much fun to travel together!!

We've stayed at Bienville and I think the counter space in the bathroom was skimpy---not good for dressings, meds, drains, etc.  Homewood is a great place to recover because breakfast is right there for you every morning, and they have a light dinner menu weekday evenings, both included in your stay.  You can cook in your room if you pick up some groceries, and we had salads or pizza delivered a couple of times. My favorite hotel is the Marriott on Canal St. now, because I discovered a special room at the top that has views that go on just about forever.  My husband really likes the Marriott too, and they have a very nice gym.   That reminds me---I need to call and request my room tonight!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Ok ladies, so trying to figure this all out with stage 2. Going the 16-23rd. We are set up at the hope lodge, which is great. Is it better to rent a car the last couple days, and site see? I hate to have it sit if I'm not up to it the whole week? I thought about getting it right when we get there, or the last 2 days?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

Journey and KC, Nordy and Dejaboo - I hope to see you all!  I fly in on the 3rd, preop on the 4th, surgery on the 5th, discharged on the 6th (hopefully), postop on the 8th, and if all goes as planned, I fly home on the 9th.  I will for sure have my "Gin52" on my door!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Journey, I didn't start off in NOLA either, but Dr. D has graciously allowed me to have several revision surgeries after he just about completely re-did my DIEP (started in Los Angeles).  There are times that I wish I'd known more about NOLA and had just gone there first, but then I know that my own journey would not have made as much of an impact on me, and maybe I wouldn't be so committed to helping other women understand that they can have truly beautiful reconstruction if they get off to the best start by going straight to NOLA.  Dr. D says that 90% of the outcome is based upon how stage I is done, and he's gotten me pretty darned close to the results that those of you who were smart enough to start with him and Dr. S are enjoying.   Dr. Sullivan spoke at the EnCourage meeting last week, and after hearing him speak and seeing the Center's photos, a newly diagnosed woman here asked "How can I go anywhere else now?" and she emailed Liz the next day!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

Melinda - Do NOT ice! As mchas said, it will slow the blood flow and that is a definite "no-no" after microvascular surgery! Yes, a consult with a good PT for ROM and possibly some lymphedema massage would be beneficial!

PJ - YES, less than 2 weeks now! I did another 7.5 yesterday, without the stroller, but still with the hills... I was much quicker without the extra weight, but I am not going to fool myself into believing that I am going to win any medals... LOL... If I do under 3 hours I will be happy, under 2.5 and I would be ecstatic. It is hard to switch gears from biking to running... and quite frankly, I would just rather be on my bike! 

Journey - Please call Katie and have her help you with hotel arrangements. She can get you a discounted rate and will help you find a place that suits your needs. And she likes to help!

Gin - I am SO sorry - but I will be gone on the 3rd! My hubby has to be home to work. I am so sad that I will miss you!

Okay, so has anyone had any sternal pain a year out? I went for a bone scan on Wednesday, which the preliminary report is negative (hurray and fingers crossed for that to be official) - but have been having some discomfort. Honestly, I think I did it doing yoga... Leave it to me to over-do something! Is there any way I could screw something up a year out?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Hi All - Please welcome K9Kim - she is having surgery on Oct 27! Kim, I added you to the listing above, per your PM.

For those of you who have just been to NOLA, do you have any hints and tips for Kim? She asked me but it has been so long ago for me, I don't feel I'm the best to advise! I told her she's in the best of hands!!!

Nordy, you and your exercise ROCK girl!!! You go!!! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

Nordy, You go girl! SEE, I knew it.  You're in fabulous shape.  But I hear you long distance running stuff not my fave either.  If I don't kick this nasty virus or allergy related problem soon I may not even be able to fly. Feel like my head will explode. But hey! today is my 2 yr cancerversary and my breasts look garate!(said with new orleans accent).  Have a fabulous Monday all!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

Nordy~ You are going to do great.  It is so much easier race day than it is training for the race.  You sound exactly like me during my first 1/2 and then when I came in I thought the clock was wrong :)

• journey
    edited October 2010

Wow Nordy!  Good for you.  I have never been a runner but really look forward to getting back to a great physical workout again.  BTW - I did call Katie last week and she told me that she doesn't help Dr. M's patients with travel.  Kind of took me back a bit, but whatever.  I now have a travel agent friend trying to help me.  Apparently there is a huge real estate agent convention in town the first week of Nov. and they have just about all the hotels booked.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your hotel experiences!

Gin52 - I'll look for you., but I don't know when I'll be discharged. Hopefully we'll see each other!

Springtime - thanks for adding me.  Somehow it seems more real seeing my name up there with the date.  Welcome K9Kim!