Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Polamom - I added you to the list! Good luck, your date is coming up fast! Let us know how you do. Check back in !

Sandy, I also LOVE THE LOGO and the "2B"'s. At first I thought you meant 2 B cups (as in size) LOL.

Journey, I don't know if things have changed, but I had 2 friends that offered what they could pay, and it was accepted. I think there may be a lot of going back and forth, I know somebody else who paid a lot more. ALSO, Did you check with Dr. Massey and the gang in Charleston SC? They have different insurance, and some ladies who were not covered in NOLA found out their insurance was "in network" in Charleston. I've heard those docs are good too. My insurance (CIGNA in the Southern US) was actually in network for NOLA, so I didn't have the out of network, out of pocket stuff.  

Minn, I always laugh about the "most expensive breasts in the world, per ounce". HA HA HA!!! 

ALSO, I echo the above, YELLOW in the drains is good! It means less red! It's slowing down! Yay!  

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2013

Thanks you ladies rock, I love putting my questions out there and getting great answers!! Good news, the one drain is finally ready to pull Stacy said. Plus my other is still about 40-45 but I am thinking it's because I have lymph issues on that side and swelling. She said if it holds steady at that or less for a couple more days to go ahead and pull it.

Also, I am all set to go for stage 2 with Dr S on November 18th!!!! Katie is working on travel plans now! Am I crazy to want to go back so soon, ha ha!! Nah, I just want to be done :) Tips on what to ask for or how to prepare for stage 2?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Also, is it normal to go back before the suggested 3-4 months? My stage 2 is only 2 months out from stage 1.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly - I had Stage 2 ten weeks after Stage 1 and it was fine. I asked about that here too a while back and others said that if you feel that you're recovering well from Stage 1, no problem.

The bead test, eh? Off to look for a bead now . . . 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

Melinda - Congrats on your successful surgery!

Springtime - I love ya!

Laughlines - Actually, you need to use a whole string of beads...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Great thanks laughlines :) I feel pretty good! At least got 1 drain out this morning. No real pain or anything, but stomach feels tight if I overdo some!!

Bead test???

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2010

Hi all!

Love catching up about all of the people I have been seeing on here over the last seven months! I haven't posted since my Stage 2 in June.  Now, I'm going in for Stage 2B on December 10th. Thought I'd best join in again and see who might be there with me!

Minn: Hi! And, what is the "bead" test???

Spring: Would you add me to the list for: December 10th, Stage 2B (reduction, lift, ???) with Dr. D at St. Charles?

Thanks so much,

Jen 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Please add me for stage 2 November 18th with Dr S :)

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2010

What is stage 2B and is there an extra cost involved?

Also, do they ever do any tweaking to the underarm(flabby)area?!?

I'm hoping to get the works! Will I need to beg?

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2010

Well it is one day after Stage two.   Last time I was wide awake within 2 hrs of getting into my room. This time I slept all day. Got up today to walk & shower I then back to sleep. The anesthetiologis  ( cant remember how to spell it) said that he sure that is from the Phenergan they gave me for nausea. They are keeping me another night.

As far as pain goes...I hurt all over but not too badly.  Not needing much pain med. I am very swollen all over because I think Dr D. wanted me to be REALLY happy with the outcome. 

• mamaluch
    edited October 2010

where did he lipo

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

Hi all!

Ok, who has the most expensive breasts per ounce?  I MUST know!

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.  Your FB pics are just amazing, as are you!  Gosh hope I don't sound like too much of a stalker.

The arms.....Gosh, I'm thinking the answer was no due to all the lymphatics?  or maybe that's what I decided -in my head? Arms, shoulders, pecs. mine are oh so sore after recent circuit training! I think due to all the rest over the past 2 years and have been over cautious about all that due to lymphedema issues  I had post rads.  After this half marathon hoping to get back into more strength training and less mushy arms.  OK, off for 8 miles(walking but fast!). 

Have a fabulous sunday!

• Mauicarol
    edited October 2010

He lipo'd everything he felt necessary to restore my shape.  I am swollen all over & pretty sore. But it isn't so bad with pain meds. It is kind of strange having smaller breasts but I am pretty excited at the idea of wearing pretty bras instead of industrial strength bras  :)

• mamaluch
    edited October 2010

Mauicarol-I am hoping to go from a DD to a full C also. I hear you on the bras, sometimes still spilling out on top. I hope you are happy with your new shape. Best wishes for a quick recovery! :)

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Almost two weeks out from Stage 1 and wondering when the tight feeling in my chest will loosen up some? 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2013

Jennifer, of course Minnesota hopes that is her claim to fame, but when I asked Dr. D about it, he would not confirm.  There are probably other women out there hoping that they hold that title, and he doesn't want to disappoint anyone!   The bead test constitutes being able to hang an entire strand on a recon nip.  I don't even know if it's possible to pass that one!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Or, maybe it is, with some sort of nipple implant!

I was frustrated to discover while up in the pine trees this weekend that neither the iPad nor the iPhone 4 will allow posting in many forums, including this one.  They don't recognize the "Post a Reply" box as a field to fill in, so the keyboard will not pop up.  Seems that if the administrators will allow us to post in html, that could solve the problem.  I guess I'll contact them and see if they'll enable html so I can post while traveling in the future.  I know I'm not the only one with this frustration, as other women have posted about it.

• Ballantino
    Ballantino Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010

Will anyone on this forum be at NOLA this week?  My Stage II surgery is this Thursday (actually - Stage IIa.  I have significant fat necrosis on the radiated side, and am planning to wait a year or so to figure out what to do with that side.  Darn - was really hoping for nipples this year).  I had Stage 1 surgery in June - and posted a comment/question about donor site dents (after SGAP).  I sure hope that Dr. M can fix this.  Rather than an hour-glass, I look more like a double helix.  I would love to meet any of you who will be there this week -

Nancy

• Mauicarol
    edited October 2010

Sorry, Ballantino.  I leave tomorrow.

• Mauicarol
    edited October 2010

Mamaluch, I think it is hard to tell what size I am going to end up due to all of the swelling. This is going to take some getting used to.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

Ballantino--My doctor did a butt lift on me to get rid of the dents.  She basically opened up the incisions and then pulled the bottom up over the top a little. It worked really well. No dents (shark bites) now!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Drain question - I am finally down to 1 drain. It's on the side I had 22 nodes removed and I have mild lymphadema. It's down to 40-45cc's a day, but holding steady. Stacy at NOLA said to go ahead and pull it if it keeps at that amount or less. I'm just nervous that it's still putting out so much, I don't want an infection or it to collect under the skin.

Also question about fatigue - Tuesday will be 4 weeks out from stage 1. I do pretty good, but man this weekend I was exhausted, I think I slept a few times off and on Saturday. Maybe it's just from surgery, and the total lack of sleep at night.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Ooooh!  Of course!  That makes perfect sense that petite Eve that she is.  Good plan on asking about HTML.  Mauricol You are right it will take some time but from someone else who used to wear industrial strength-it is SO nice.

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Dragonfly-if you're unsure call in the am when the center is open to clarify.  They told me to call before I pulled.  Congrats on hitting 4 weeks!  I sort of hit a wall about 4 weeks posts stage 1.  prior to that I was wired.  I started taking naps, made sure I was drinking enough water and made sure I went back to the pre surg vitamin regimen-but actually went to a different brand that supposedly absorbed better. Your body has been thru a LOT.  Even tho 4 weeks seems like a lot, there is SOOooooo much going on and a lot of healing that is still happening.  Ok, sorry.  Hope I don't sound too know it all.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thanks I will call them just to make sure. I just hate to have any set backs with the drains, since stage 2 is coming up already :) YEAH!!

You helped a lot, and not too know it all ! It seemed like I couldn't get enough sleep, but we had went on a 3 hour drive to visit family, and I only slept about 4 hours the night before, so on top of still healing! 

• foobs
    foobs Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010

Hi Gals

So happy to have found this thread.  I'm only 4 wks away from NOLA--finally!!  I'll have Drs Massey, LeGarde, Sullivan.

I'm having a Prophylactic left mastectomy and most bilateral SGAP (or possible Deip) with Drs Massy, Legarde and Sullivan  IN FOUR WEEKS!

What kind of pants can you wear after this surgery, etc. Any information you can share would help so much right now.  What to take, what to leave home.  What position can you even sleep in after this BUTT CHEST surgery?  Ha!  And were any of you sent home with drains still in?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but I'm DOIN THIS girls!!  Ain't skeered!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Foobs - so excited for you... you'll do just great!  I had Dr Sullivan as well.

I can only answer for the DIEP because that's what I had. I can only sleep on my back, no side or stomach sleeping for 6 weeks. That's hard for me as I always sleep on my side or stomach. So I've slept downstairs in my recliner a lot :)

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=615217062&tid=onfr1r 

These pants I love, and I think I should own stock in them. They are super stretchy and comfy! While staying there I lived in these pants, and tank tops, that's about it really, other than pj's.

I went home from NOLA with 2 hip drains, one just came out this weekend (tomorrow is 4 weeks post op) and I still have one going strong. I've realized there is no method to the drains as much as they suck, some had their surgery after me, and have their drains out, so who knows! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2013

foobs- I had SGAP in November, stage 2 a month ago.

You'll be surprised at how little pain you have in your butt incisions. I think a lot of nerves get cut so it's numb at first. Some of the feeling comes back in time though. You may have pain in your tailbone, I did. So you can lay on your back but you may have to move around every hour or so and change position.

You'll need a lot of pillows for sleeping, because you have to lay at a slight incline and you can't sleep on your side.  You build a nest of pillows. It takes a little getting used to but you'll get used to it. Until you do, sleeping on a recliner or the couch works pretty well.

Loose stretchy pants are best. I think I was able to put on loose jeans at about the 5 week point, but up until then I wore these from Target. (they used to have some that were less flowy too, looks like they discontinued those).

You're going to be tempted to get a larger size--don't. Your butt will be swollen but also smaller, so get your normal size. It'll be loose enough on you after surgery.

You'll have 4 drains--2 breast, 2 hip. The breast drains will be gone in a week or two. The hip drains will stay for a while. 5-7 weeks most likely. It's a pain, esp being on antibiotics the whole time, but better than dealing with seromas.

Good luck! You're in great hands. Dr. M is my surgeon too.  She will take very good care of you.

-Brenda

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010

Gosh, I have been having major computer problems since last Wednesday.  It finally ended up dying a long, slow, miserable death so today I had to go get a new one.  That is why I haven't been on lately.

Mauicarol -- sorry that I missed your surgery date.  I am glad everything went well and you are feeling pretty good.  

Polamom, 2tzus and Mariposa -- good luck on your upcoming surgeries.  I know you all will do great.  Will be sending positive thoughts and prayers for quick healing.

Dragonfly -- congrats on getting your stage 2 scheduled.  I know you are excited.  And I hope you are feeling better.  I go through spells where I just feel totally spent and then other times I feel fine.  I guess it is just harder to realize the boundaries until after we cross them sometimes.  And then we have to suffer the consequences.  Are you having surgery for your lymphedema during your stage 2?  I have mild lymphedema as well as Dr S was planning on doing the lymph node transfer surgery.  Just wondered if that was something you were doing and if not would you mind sharing your reasons?  I must admit that I am a little hesitant about it.  

Does anyone else have anything to share as far as the lymph node transfer surgery?  I  don't think I have read anything about it on this site.  I know it isn't something they have done very many of but I would like to get any feedback I possibly could.  Even if you haven't had the surgery I would like to hear your opinion.  

Foobs -- I had Stage 1 surgery on the 22nd of September.  I came home with two hip drains.  But I was able to pull them just 1 1/2 weeks after surgery.  Everyone is different.  There is no "norm".  I have always been very fortunate in that I heal quickly.  They are definitely miserable.  There is no denying that.  Good luck.

As far as the sleeping.  I was told by Dr S that no side sleeping for three weeks after Stage 1.  He said it takes 3 weeks for the blood vessels to heal and he doesn't want any crimping or anything like that but after 3 weeks I can sleep on my side.  But no stomach for 6 seeks.  I have done pretty good for someone who has slept on their side my entire life.  I have had to what I call "build a nest".  I lay pillows on either side of me so they are too high to roll over and that has forced me to stay on my back.  But I hate it.  I am counting down the days till I can go back to my side -- just two more to go!  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Ok, so Ann, no sleeping on the side for 3 weeks? Well tomorrow is 4 weeks so I should be ok? I know I couldn't before because of the drains. I still have 1 in on my left hip!

Ann - I'd LOVE to know about the lymph node transfer surgery. I guess my fear is always, will it make it worse? Will it cure it? Will I have lymphadema in the area they remove the nodes? Plus I know my surgeon said when she took out the nodes, that she has to cut the nerves to get to the nodes. So would that be the same at the donor site, would I have another numb area on my body?

Those are my questions I'd ask. If I could get rid of the mild swelling I'd love it!