Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

Xfit - Did CNN catch up with you there?!

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

OK... My 24 hours is finally up!! Geez... what's with this only posting 5 times in a 24 hour period?!?! So I will have to make this post count... ;-)

Where to start... ~Dragonfly~ I too got a a call from Kathy with Mercy Medical today to book my flight, now we've been playing phone tag (my phone is now glued to my hip... well.. not like it's ever much further away than that... hehee) 

~Nordy~ ~Springtime~ ~Minnesota~ My name will be proudly posted on my door. "K9Kim welcomes visitors from "NOLA in September"... now October... soon to be November... and so on... ;-)

~2tzus~ Thanks for welcoming me to the board! :-) It's really great to be here... so glad I found you guys!

~Melindastn~ (Melinda) thank you SO much for the information on the men's button up shirts and leggings, what a fantastic idea!! And I would never have thought about the panties!! I was just thinking about maybe some seamless boy short undies? How would they be for the S-GAP? Anyone care to comment on that? Yay or Nay? Where exactly is the drain tube on the hip? Is that what you meant about cutting the undies? I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible, if I can. Again, VERY helpful information! Thank you so much!! :-) 

~Dejaboo~ Hello to you to, thank you for the greeting to the Newbies... that would apply to me, at least for a few more days. ;-) Then I hope to just be part of the family! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling good... :-( I will be in NOLA for almost a month, so hope to be up and around by the time you get here in 2 weeks, then I can come visit you guys in the hospital!

~Mauicarol~ Finally heard from Mercy Med today! Missed their call... boo hiss... but hope to get back with them tomorrow and book my flight! I'm excited that they actually use commercial airlines, that's wonderful! 

Ok... I think I am caught up for now... and I still have 4 more posts I can use in the next 24 hours... lol

Good Luck to Dagroz, Liz and Oddball... keeping you in my prayers that all goes well! I'll be joining you soooooooon.... (Anyone talk to Dagroz today? It said the 19th, assuming that's her surgery date, yes? Just wondered if anyone knew how she was doing?) Thinking about you and praying for you Dagroz!! :-)

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

K9Kim, I finally got to talk with her today so I'm just waiting for the confirmaion :) Hope you hear from her tomorrow!!

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

Good luck Dragoz and Xfit!

Welcome K9Kim - will surely see you (and Oddball and PJ) next week!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

~Dragonfly~ YAY!! But what does waiting for confirmation mean? Did you go over flight times etc... ? Just curious what my phone call will entail "hopefully" tomorrow. ;-) But glad you finally made contact with her. Yeehaw!

Thank you ~Minnesota~ ! I'm so excited to meet you guys next week! So many fabulous ladies on here!

~Xfit~ I just realized that you are "Liz" friend of Marcia Marcia Marcia... Lol I just hadn't put it together that you are one in the same. ;-)  Good Luck to you on Thursday and I will keep you in my prayers! And hopefully will get to meet you as well whenI come for my surgery next week! 

I have to mention it again... anyone else bothered by the 5 posts daily limit in 24 hours? Maybe I should get a life... Lol 

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

i never realized there was a daily limit!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

I'm starting to think I am the only one this has happened to? ~WTH~

Last night, when I went to reply, with my "6th post of the day", an error message popped up and said you've reached your 5 post daily limit, yada yada yada, please come back in 24 hours?? I'm gonna contact the site... because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time!! LOL

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2010

K9Kim

I think maybe you are initially subject to this limit and it's temporary, but I'm not sure how long it lasts!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

K9Kim - it happens to everyone when you're brand new no worries, the more you post it will go away :)

Today the lady at Mercy Medical went over my appointment dates/times and flight requests. I asked for morning flights. So because my trip isn't for a month she said I'd get an email with flight info but not for a week or 2. Typically you don't get flight info until real close to your trip. Aren't you going pretty soon? She'll get it done for you :) 

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

Amym & Dragonfly... thank goodness!! Thanks for letting me know... I can now sleep tonight. Lol

Dragonfly, yes, I am suppose to fly in on Monday, so I am just 5 days out. I would think we need to get this in stone at this point?  I'm sure you're right, she will get it done in time and hopefully tomorrow, one less thing to worry about. 

One more question... any iPhone users out there? I haven't been able to post on the website from my phone? That makes me sad, because I was hoping to be able to post from that while in NOLA? Is it just me or is it just not compatible with the site? Thanks in advance fellow iPhone junkies. ;-)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Kim, do you not have a laptop? At Hope Lodge there are computers downstairs in the library you can post from as well. I have an Itouch and think I can post but not sure so I'm going to have to try it out now!! LOL ! I'd call Kathy at Mercy Medical again tomorrow and Katie, be persistent to get the travel set up so you're not stressing over it!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Kim, I tried using my itouch and can read the thread but can't post? :(

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Kim,

I had 6 drains starting out and the hip drains worked fine with the full undies.  Just make sure you buy larger than normal sizes.  That is why I had to cut the elastic on the ones I took.  They were high enough not to bother any of my incisions and the leg was long enough not to bother the drains.

Good luck.  It is a journey.  Each evening when I get in bed I realize I have made it one day closer to being healed.

Melinda

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

Re: SGAP undies... high cut boy shorts work well.  They tend to run big anyway, you probably don't need to get a bigger size. Your hips will be a little smaller after surgery. If you're like me, all your current underwear will be a little loose on you afterward.  Anyway... high cut boy shorts are good.  Low-medium cut anything is what will bother your drain sites.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

iPhones and BCO are not compatible, sadly. I think it's an issue on the BCO end of things. I haven't seen any evidence of mobile posting. I wish they'd get that changed...

Anne

• foobs
    foobs Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010

HI GIRLS!!

Wow lots of us in St Chas at the same time!....I'm Nov 10 to Nov 13 

then at Hope Lodge Nov 14 to Nov 18

I'll post my name on the door for visitors. 

I'm having an SGAP and wonder if you leave the hospital with compression pant thingies?  Do you just wear a sloppy dress over the whole deal, drains and all?  Do you even need panties?  GROSS but necessary question!!  So I'm hearing soft lounge pants, top for hotel room. but for the flight home---the big dress??

• foobs
    foobs Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2010
    not to beat a sleeping horse....but  when you say high cut boy undies.  Do you mean high cut legs  or does that refer to the waist being up high?  Aren't boy cuts loose in the legs? 
  • Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2010

Kim- I just figured out the K9 :p   Neat.    I have an exploding head ache & I really cant think much.

If I recall one has to post 50 times before the 5 a day restriction is gone : (

We had alot of Spammers that would post 100+ messages & really mess up the forum...Hence why it was placed.

After my SGAP I wore my same regular panties.  Just regular bikini undies.  Some women skip the Undies  Some prefer them with or without the dom outfit...Sounds like they arent doing that after stage 1 now?  They worked fine over my drains still.

Dragroz I hope you are feeling good this morning.

Liz Good Luck to you tomorrow!

In the Hotel I did like wearing a Loose Modern MooMoo as I called it : )

For the Plane ride home I wore Yoga Pants in my Normal size.  With a Loose Tshirt & a Zip up Hoodie.   Bigger Pants & they would have fallen down.   I wore the Yoga pants for 4 weeks.  I have some Yoga Capris too.

Do we have an Approx time for Zeas on the 28th yet?  I know early...But that can be different for everyone.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Good luck tomorrow Liz!!!!

Hope you are doing okay, Dagroz!

Pam, several of us have our pre surgical appts Thurs, and we were thinking of just walking over there (to Zea's) from the Center after we were done.  Sandy is sort of the lead on this one...

Sandy, any more thoughts on the "time" to be at Zea's?  

• Dejaboo
    edited October 2010

Whats the Last Pre Op time on Thurs Spring?

I am going to See Plantations that day...So it would be helpful to know an Approx time.

Also does anyone have a pm of names $ #s going?

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2010

Underwear are not necessary afterwards but I always felt the need to wear them.  I would then forget and then make a mess.  I also wore Yoga pants for 8 weeks after my surgery.  You really will not care if they look sloppy, comfort is a big factor.  I wore them on the airplane and I just didn't care what anyone else thought about my attire.  I did wear my drains on the side because I didn't want to be asked when I was due but besides that I just shuffled along with a big old grin because I had boobies again :)

• Dejaboo
    edited October 2010

I posted this as a Seperate thread.

But maybe someone here can help me too.

Sorry it is off topic.

~~~~~

I have had a Bad Headache for 2+ months.   In that time I had about 3 days without one.  Headache is usually worse in the morning.   usually my forehead area & Eyes hurt.  I have never had Allergies before.  I have had no fever.

I am not stuffy.  I dont feel any nasal Drain.

I have seen my onco & PCP last week.  I was using per Oncos suggestion an antihistamin at night to see if that took my Headache away.  it did help.  I had 3 out of 5 mornings with no headache.  Although I still felt pressure.   I took that for 6 nights.  Then tried a few nights without.  Headache was back every day.    Last evening headache was much worse  it has move down to cover my whole face.  I took 2 Antihistamins earlier then bedtime.  In hopes to be able to sleep a little.   I have also tried a Saline Spray & that sometimes helps the headache.

Headcahe is back this am...Not as bad as last night.

I also have Oral Thrush- I have for about 1 month.   Could this be connected to the Sinusitis?  I cant find any info out there to connect it. 

I have been usign Nystatin Rinse for that- It is not going away.

I bought some Hydrogen Peroxide last night & am rinsing with that to see if that will work

I fly out in 1 week to NOLA for some fun & Stage 2B of my Reconstruction in 13 days.

I have no idea what to do.  I know flying with a headache this bad will be very hard.

And its hard to have fun with ones head in a vice.

Can I keep taking the Antihistimine  before surgery?

Should I try Amoxicillian?

It will probably make my Thrush worse.

What else can I try for the Thrush?

I will be on Keflex probably after my surgery...it will maybe get rid of the Sinus thing...But I cant wait for that...

Help- Any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Foobs - I'm flying into NOLA on the 16th and will be at the hope lodge until surgery on the 18th. Where are you staying?

For me, after stage 1 DIEP, I have only wore lounge pants, or yoga capris. I wear them everywhere and really don't care. I'm not ready for jeans yet. I just got my 2nd hip drain out. NOLA does give you a little blue fanny pack looking thing to wear to put the drains in so that's a big help. Also, for me, I'm not a fan of the panties to begin with. So for me to not wear any, and just wear the yoga/lounge pants was perfect. On the plane home they'll give you those ted hose (?) compression toeless stockings so make sure you have long pants to cover those :) I know I looked like hell in the airport but, haven't ran into anyone yet that knew me!! LOL Nor would I have cared! 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2010

I am reading all of these posts & feeling very sad that I won't be able to meet with all of you at Zea's.  Just missed it by a couple of weeks :(  Oh, well.  Have a great time!

The new drain pouches are kind of a pain because they keep all of the pouches together (hence the pregnant look).  If we all let them know that we prefer the individual pouches that they used to use, they might go back to them.  I was told that the change was made in order to cut costs.  I even had them check the supply closet to see if they even had a couple of the old pouches left, sadly they didn't. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

foobs--sorry I wasn't clear... I meant high cut waist. They're like less boring granny panties :)  I have a few that I don't like to wear normally, but they were all I wore after stage 1. I tried wearing cuter ones, but the waistband always hit right where the drains were.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Maui Carol, what if you fold it in half and used one for each hip?

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

Dejaboo - I am sorry you are suffering so!  Wish I had a recommendation, but I don't. Frown

Thank all you ladies for the suggestions on what to wear afterwards.  It's all good to know!

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2010

Thank you Springtime and everyone else for the well wishes! I'm "sharpied" up and ready for the big event. Bring on the boobs!!!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2010

Dejaboo,

Are you using the Nystatin 4 times/day? Do you use it and then not eat or drink anything or even brush your teeth for at least an hour? If you are doing those things and it's not getting better after a week, you should follow-up with one of your docs.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2010

Pam, there are so many things that could be going on. You could have a sinus infection, bacterial or fungal. And any time you have the "worst headache of your life" (my qoutes) you need to have a CT scan. That should show a sinus infection as well as any pathology in your brain. If there's no bad thing, then you may need an ENT to aspirate the sinuses for culture.

Do NOT put yourself on antibiotics without knowing what you're trating. You already have thrush. Oral Diflucan is probably your next step for the thrush.

So, go see your doctor! Don't put off treatment or figuring out what's going on, or you may not make it to NOLA...

Anne