Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2010

I have everyone's info except for Journey and kcshreve. Not sure if they want to be included, as they come later, but there could be some overlap with Gin52. I'll wait just until a little later tonite and then send to you all!

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

Hi Minnesota - sorry I'm behind.  Man this thread flies!  I just PM'd the info to you.  Thanks and looking forward to meeting up with those who can.  Off to bed now - exhausted from sinus infection and stupid antibiotics!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2010

Boo BeesWanna See My Boo-Bees???...look at my profile pic!

Smiles!

\Marcia

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

My 24 hours is finally once again up and I can post again! YAY! I need to keep posting so I can lose that 5 a day newbie minimum thing! Lol

So mostly I just wanted to say... great to hear you are doing well Liz! Sending well wishes your way!

Marcia... cute profile pic! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

I know I'm a bit off topic BUT.......I will need to be able to find someplace in Nola to watch the WORLD series next week!................OMG......Texas RANGERS!  SO eXCITING!

Also exciting is next week going to Nola!  Those of you w/ sinus issues I SOoooo feel your pain.  I'm supposed to be doing the half marathon and I haven't been able to work out in a week.  But doing better and planning to get 10 miles in sunday and some circuit training tomorrow.

Very much looking forward to meeting many of you in person.  WOW!  what an amazing year-2 years!

I haven't firmed up many plans except Zea's thurs pm and the half sat am but made a serious list of stuff I want to do/see in Nola way back(summer 2009) before I went for consult.  The saints and sinners tour is on the list.  Would love to make a visiting round friday pm if you post op gals are up to it.  Nordy at some point I need to go pick up a packet.  Girl I'm off work now until Nov 1 don't hesitate to call. Really excited about so many things!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2010

k9kim- Hi , I had Dr. Stolier with Dr Dellacroce. I loved both Drs. Not sure who assisted . but both drs are extremely patient and compassionate and will take the time to answer any questions you have without you feeling rushed. I had Diep flap with left mastectomy in Aug. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am extremely happy with stage 1 results.

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

Thank you Mamaluch! So I guess that combo of docs isn't as odd as I had originally thought? Good to know, heard nothing but great things about them!! I am glad to hear you are doing well after stage 1!! Thanks for the post. :-) I too had my left breast mastectomy in August... minus the reconstruction part though. ;-) But after Wednesday I will be whole again!!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2010

K9kim- you will be sooooo happy with your decision. Best wishes to you. I have stage 2 in Dec., perhaps I will meet you. Hugs and prayers, and know you are in great hands!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

Thank you for your words of encouragement, I think I will be too!! Sadly I am only in NOLA until 11/24, so I will just miss you, at least this time around, but maybe for my Stage 2 and your 3, if needed?!?! Best wishes to you as well and Hugs and Prayers back at ya!!

• Minnesota
    edited August 2013

Plainjane - I forgot to ask you for your info! Wait! Duh, you're Plainjane! PM your cell phone number? If I don't get it before sending the list, I'll send it separately to everyone for them to add, if you PM me with it!

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

Sueinfla? Liz? Anyone I missed who wants to PM their info? If you miss the list and want to add, just PM me and I can PM everyone else separately. Or just get your info and phone to someone else who will be there. Otherwise I'm on the verge of sending!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

...interesting day... Went through all my pre-pregnancy clothes that I have been saving to "fit back into" for the past 5 years... LOL. Okay, so because of my new bodacious tatas all the shirts are now too short... and because of the style changes most of the pants sit too high on my waist! I still managed to salvage a few things because I do fit back into them (FINALLY) - but it looks like 3 bins of clothes to Goodwill... and maternity clothes too since the "shop" has been demolished.

PJ - I hope tomorrow is your last long run/walk - you need to taper down from here on out. Call me and we can chat - I am ready to be done training and REST for a couple of days! I much, much, prefer my bike! Plus, I am ready to eat some Beignets!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Minn sending the pm,  Thanks!

Nordyola- last long 10 miles(help me God) is sunday-I do the longs on Sunday because the class I LOVE is on sat am.  And I'm with ya sista!  this long distance stuff- will be happy to say DID IT! then go back to my classes w/ the girls indoors minus allergens, w/ AC.  Just feel like I need to FINISH as i've started training for a half too many times.

And Nordy...Ugg on the tummy tuck dilemma-sweetie you weren't sure but, but, but....you can always schedule a revision and have him do it?  If you do let's coordinate as i still think I'll want a tweak.

The closet purging-OMG  Yes, Still need another pick up/drop off-it's piled in front of the fireplace.  No decorating for any holiday until the stuff is gone.  Usually I go all out for halloween-this year knew I'd be out of town. 

Weekend-hey the rangers are in the world series!  Sorry!  The GM(I think ) is a Katrina refugee from Nola....forgot his name- must stay on topic!   who am I kidding?

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2010

Soccermom: How do I get to the profile pictures?

• Dagroz13
    Dagroz13 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Thank you for your well wishes.  Everyone here is fantastical!  

I have never been treated better at a hospital in my life.  I had a surprising experience when I came for my presurgery appointment.  I guess I had kept myself in such control prior to coming here that once I got here my body said enough and gave in on me.  I broke out in a cold sweat, got the dry heaves and turned ghostly (great for Halloween).  They calmly but immediately jumped into action got me on IV fluids and still ended up getting all of my presurgery stuff done. Dr. Massey is an extremely personable doc and has the bedside manner of an Angel.  I'm not embellishing.  My itty bitties are Oh babies!  I am swollen in a place I didn't expect and I don't recall reading about on here, ya know that area down there.  

I brought grannie panties with me but the hospital ones have more stretch and are more comfortable.  I too have a limited budget but I purchased some X-large silkie night shirts that button up the front at the Goodwill that work wonderful in assisting me to slide out of the bed easier than with the hospital gown.  I also brought stretchy warp around dresses to wear after I get to Hope Lodge and for the plane ride home.

Researching on the internet has its plusses and minuses.  Several years ago I would have suffered in silence but now because of this site and I have been blessed to received the best breast reconstruction available in the world.  Thanks to all of you who came before me and was kind enough to share your story.  Ok gotta go, all of the word are blurring through the tears.  

Juanita 

• journey
    edited October 2010

Bless your heart Juanita.  Glad you are feeling like posting.  Keep us updated! BTW I agree with you about Dr. Massey.  I had a wonderful consult with her in Charleston this summer and she is just wonderful.  I also sent her an email a few weeks ago letting her know that I was not so sure we could work out the insurance and payment.  It was on a Sunday.  Next thing I know she is calling me to reassure me we could work it out and not to worry one more minute over the whole thing.  She said something like - you have worried enough. Wow.

• journey
    edited October 2010

I can't believe that it one short week I'll be headed to NOLA.  I have been trying to read over the last zillion posts Laughing trying to gleam what I need to be prepared for for Hip / SGap.  Got my granny panties, not too loose yoga pants, cheap tunics (yea that they are in fashion right now!), slip on shoes, egg crate pad for bed when I return home, a couple extra pillows as well...what else?

When can I expect to take a shower - and how with my front and back side cut on?

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you're doing great Journey, can't think of much else you'd need. They had me shower the 2nd day I believe, maybe 3rd, but it was with my back to the shower and having it run over me. I had a DIEP though so not sure how it's different for a SGAP? As far as regular showering, once the drains are out I think you're good to go, or at least that's what I was told.
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

With surgery coming up, I am finding that I just cannot do enough exercise! I will be out of commisssion for a week or two I expect. Today we did a long 95 minute bike ride and I did upper body weights at the gym! 

I also had Dr. Stolier, Dr. D. and Dr. S. Dr. Stolier is very very nice and is an excellent surgeon.

I can't believe next week at this time several of us will be discharged and back in the hotel with the surgery behind us!  Let the healing begin...

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

Quite the cluster we have going on at the moment.  The weather looks near-ideal down there these days.  This will be my 3rd time there, and yet I'm noticing how nervous I'm getting.  Each time I've been treated well, they've been accomodating to all the extra details of working with my lymphedema (not using my arms for anything), etc.  I'll just be glad to be done.....and I hope I'm truly done this time!

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

Does anyone know if Sally is coming this week???

I can't wait to see everyone! And I am ready to run this half and rest for a day or two! 

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

ahhh... I just read back a ways and Sally should be flying in on the 29th. I don't know where she is staying. Sally - we need your info!

K9 and Oddball - I am going to come visit either Thursday or Friday... Don't forget to put your signs up! And if I don't send my best ahead of time - just know you will be fabulous!

• Minnesota
    edited October 2010

I leave for NOLA in 2 days! Tuesday! I can't believe it either - seems like I was just there - and I've got the jitters, too - yet also excited about meeting some of you - and celebrating Halloween - and having who-knows-what improvements, yet again, to wake up to after surgery! Should be my last - hard to believe - what a year it's been!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2010

Journey- With Dr. M I never had any showering instructions other than "don't lift your arms".  The incisions will have dermabond over them so as long as you don't rub them with a washcloth or rub too hard with your fingers you'll be fine.  There were some days I just got a little wet and called it a day.  It's good to keep things clean to avoid infection.  You'll have to wash your hair with your arms to the side, or ask someone to help you do it in the sink.  But other than that you'll be taking regular (light touch) showers right away, whenever you want.

Another suggestion for your packing: a small pillow to put behind you on the airplane. They only give pillows to first class these days, and you'll need it to cushion your tailbone. You can get a travel pillow or kids' pillow at Sears, Walmart, Target, etc.  

Good luck, fellow mermaid!

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

oops just lost my post.  (Juanita) glad you let them take care of you.  I bet the swelling 'down there' will subside w/ time....

Journey you sound very ready.  They have the how to shower instructions down to a science will walk you thru and help you out and send you home knowing what and how to do it.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Spring, yeah! I have a workout this morning, one Monday morning and then my last one here is Tuesday evening. Still have to figure out with my trainer if she'll hold my spots open for a few weeks while I can't work with her. The Marriott has a nice gym, and I hope to use it Wednesday night and early in the morning Thursday.

Minn and Spring, were your pre-ops changed to the morning of 10/28? Mine is now at 8:30 a.m. I'm happy because that gives us the entire day to do whatever before going to Zea.

We are working with an agent to find a new location for our business, and he told me that he is trying to get to NOLA for Halloween, but flights and rooms are so full that he is having trouble arranging the trip.  I am going to start packing today.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

The other thing I took on the plane was a small fleece blanket. The planes are often cold, plus after surgery it was just comforting. I was so thankful to have it though as we got stuck in Chicago for 3 hours and it was so cold, and I was exhausted!

Ok, so stage 2 is revisions, lipo and what else to expect? Do they do any nipples? I'm still so on the fence about the nipples? Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. Please ladies what do you think? 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2010

Hi Dragonfly! Yes, nipples are usually part of stage II.  In my experience, I asked my husband all along the way what his preferences were, and the answer I usually got was "whatever makes you happy is fine with me."  After asking Dr. D to make "barely there" nipples and living with them for a while, the topic came up one day and my DH admitted that he missed being able to feel them.   I decided to have them re-done and I've had a couple of revisions for that.  Dr. D has talked about it being difficult to make a nipple on the firm side if the skin is thin, and I think that's what I must be dealing with.  I'm pretty happy with the left one, but the right one is lacking a bit.   I guess I'll find out Thursday if he has any more options in his bag of tricks.  If not, my sister (a nurse) is now working for a cosmetic laser center and she can do Radiesse injections for me as needed, which I think would probably be 2-3 times a year. 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2010

Juanita, the swelling you are noticing is very common and has been nicknamed a "Ken doll" by the gals over on MakeMeHeal.com.  It can take a few months to resolve so hang in there!   I agree with you about the internet.  I would never have heard enough about NOLA to go there if not for being able to research online, and would have suffered more poorly done surgery and insults from my first surgeon if not for being able to read the testimonials of the women who'd gone to NOLA before me.  Glad you are past the anxiety and on the road to recovery now!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

I'm thinking I'll skip the nipples for now, I just can't make trips for revision after revision and on Cobra now so I won't have insurance pretty soon. I can find someone local plastic surgeon to do that here I think??