Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2010

I know it seems like there are a ton of stage 2B's happening, but I LOVE my nipples, even though they are more the barely there.  If I wanted to get really picky, I could have more lipo, fat injection, etc.  I think we all could. But I am THRILLED with my reconstruction.  I've already had 15 surgeries, I don't want another one!  Maybe someday in the future I will change my mind, but I am so damn happy everytime I see myself naked...keloid scarring and all. So don't NOT get nipples because you think that everyone needs a redo, not everyone does.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Thanks Trishia, I guess that's my fear. I don't have the money to fly back for 2 or 3 trips to make the nipples perfect. so I just wanted to hear more good stories before I decide for sure :) I'm a worrier like that!!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010
    OK I know I mentioned to all your ladies going to nola this week that I was definitely going on the saints and sinners tour(12 years of catholic education behind me).  So when I googled 'saints and sinners' on the nola website I read it was a HUGE gay/lesbian celebration in nola.  Embarassed Ok, not that there is anything wrong w/ that but I just wanted to clarify that's not what I was planning or looking for......but sheesh so long since I've had a hot and heavy and still no torrid affair w/ these fabulous breasts.  Alright not a homophobe, whore, nor am I a lesbian.........because I'm sure everyone was wondering(NOT).  YES, I've said TOO much again!  Just had to clear that up!
  • K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

Hello Ladies... again I am pages behind, been so busy getting last  minute things done for my trip tomorrow... yes TOMORROW!! I can't believe it is here already?! The time just flew... I'm nervous, excited, anxious, happy, fearful all rolled into one! Lol

I am looking so forward to meeting so many of you while I am there! That part is exciting! 

Liz~ I hope you are getting stronger and stronger with each passing day! You're in my thoughts!

Oddball~ You're up next... hopefully our rooms will be near one another. I am sending lots of warm get well wishes your way for a speedy recovery!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

JUANITA! I knew I was missing someone!! I am so glad you were well enough to let us now how you were doing. Sounds like you has quite an experience so far, poor thing. I had a similar experience 5 days after my mastectomy, had to readmit me back into the hospital. Started to have uncontrolled bleeding through my drain, was losing so much blood, got the sweats, faint, almost passed out three times in the doctors office before they admitted me. It is very scary!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It was honestly the worst part of my experience thus far... guess because you don't know what is happening, so it's just scary.

Can I ask you about the swelling "down there" or can anyone else answer that? What causes that and is it related to one particular procedure?? 

Anyway, I am keeping you too in my thoughts and prayers each day... hope you are feeling better and better everyday! I will be there soon. :-) Take care of yourself!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

Sandy, I went to makemeheal.com, but couldn't find anything on the "ken doll"? That was referring to the swelling on our private, yes?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

K9 - I had some genital swelling, but possibly not to the degree you are having. I found it went down as other swelling went down.  It seems that there is an overall fluid imbalance which needs to re-establish itself.  If it's very severe, you may want to run it  past one of the nurses, though.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

Nipples - Honestly, I did not care one way or the other when we were planning Stage 1.  At the last minute of my pre-op, my dh admitted that nipples matttered to him. It was news to me.  Up to that point, he'd been so focused on my LIVING that he hadn't really processed his own desires. I'm glad he  mentioned it, or I'd have skipped the nipple sparing option.  Instead, I went with nipple sparing and it turned out very well.  If you don't have nipples done in NOLA, many PS do it for those with implants, too.  Nipple construction is very common.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Thank you kcshreve - I know the husbands point of view is pretty important. However for me, I'm 33 and single. It just seems silly as of yet since I am not with anyone, and there is no feeling in them so... However would it make me feel more complete? Dang... this shouldn't be such a dilemma!! lol

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2010

Good Luck this week to Oddball & K9Kim!

Before you know it you will be on the road to recovery!

K9- I think the Ken Doll thing happens sometimes with DIEP.  With the Incision in front. Not with an SGAP.

Dragonfly.  I got the Nips mainly because I knew dh would like them.  But I love them too.  Although mine really shrunk down to not even a barely there.  There is still a hint of them & When I look down it looks 'more normal'  I am very happy I had them done.  They shrunk so much that braless in most shirts they do not show.  But my Incisions where they are Hypotrophic(sp) show through a tshirt. : (

So for me it does make me feel more Complete.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

I personally like having my nipples... and yes, they are getting close to "barely there" - but I still love having them. Hopefully with tattooing it will be even more complete. They just make me feel more normal, and I was really on the fence with them too... but now I am glad I have them.

PJ -LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL   

I can't believe it is this week already! wooohoooo!

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

Thanks Dejaboo! I'm sure Odd and I will both do great! And thanks for the info on the "ken doll" thingy... Hopefully I'll luck out and it won't be an issue with me, since I am a GAP girl... 

Dragonfly (Ericka)... I hope this nipple thing doesn't end up being an issue with me too? Until you actually go through it, there is no knowing how you'll feel once you're on the recovery side of the surgery. It's funny, back in 2000 when they first approached me about having a bilateral mastectomy, my BIGGEST problem with it... was losing my nipples?! I had said I could handle it, if I could just keep my nipples?? It was SO important to me then, but now, living and being FREE from this disease is most important to me. But nipples... bring them on... Erika... you want them... trust me. You deserve to have the complete package. Maybe you wait until you are in a better place financially, but I think you will be glad you did. My two cents, from someone that hasn't even crossed that bridge, but I just can't even imagine not having them? I mean they are giving us the best boobs in the world, we HAVE to get nipples!! LOL Of course you do what is best for you and what is in your heart... you'll make the decision when you're ready. Asking all the ladies on here is a wonderful way to help make those kind of decisions. And they have all had positive things to say about them from the posts I have seen. 

Kcshreve, it was actually poor Juanita that is having the genital swelling, so I hope tha she, she's your post, it would be good info for her. I am sure they are taking very good care of her. I was just asking about it, wodering if it could happen to me, but it seems that it is with the DIEP girls, not the GAP, so I am hoping I'll be safe. :-) 

I am trying to pack and find myself walking aimlessly around my room, starting 10 different piles of different things to pack and yet nothing is getting packed... It'll get done, one way or another before I leave. Starting to get a sore throat today!! What the heck? They had me taking double vitamin & iron for the last 2 weeks, even been taking a B12 as well. I should be in great health?! I hope I am NOT getting sick!! They wouldn't cancel my surgery for that, would they? Ugh... I need to get a grip and stop worrying already. 

Thanks for listening ladies!! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Oddball and Kim, GO GIRLS!! We don't leave until Thursday morning, but yes, my appt was moved too! My plane lands at 930AM and I'm being taken straight to the center! See you girls soon! :)

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010

PlainJane  cracking up at your explanations! hehe....yep, you made it all clear as mud!  (But we do know what ya meant!)

• K9Kim
    edited October 2010

I wonder why I was never given my post op appt? Is that common to get it prior to surgery or after surgery? It seems like everyone else's seems to be set up in advance, but have noticed they get changed quite a bit as well, so maybe it's just as well that I have to wait. How soon is the post op appt... a week after surgery?

• mobay1020
    mobay1020 Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2010

Hi Ladies,

This is my first time posting on this thread and there are way too many posts for me to read them all.  Is NOLA THE place to go for reconstruction?  I tried to have reconstruction last August, back flap with implants but was put in the hospital 2 times post surgery due to infection.  I eventually had to have one of the expanders taken out.  My PS then wanted me to wait a full year before doing any more surgery.  Well that year is here and I am starting to think about the surgery again.  Should I think about going somewhere else?  I really like my PS but maybe there is someone better.  Sounds like a lot of people are travelling to New Orleans for surgery....  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2010

MOBAY1020 NOLA is the best place with the best doctors. And I had to have a second surgery for stage 1. Every person at that place cares about you and your wellbeing.

I am flying in on THursday and am staying just outside the French Quarter, I plan of visiting some of you in the hospital, ( remember to put your screen names on your door) I have an appointment at the center on the 2nd..

Jane, I too, loved the explanation. What is the saints and sinners tour about? Sounds interesting. Good luck to all having surgery this week. You are all in my prayers and cant wait to see you all.

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2010

Mobay: Welcome to this thread :) The Dr's at the Center for Reconstructive Breast Surgery are probably the best in the USA.  They have a 99% success rate. They use 2 plastic surgeons in order to cut the surgery time so that it is better for the patient.  They are all about restoring you.  I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that I went to CRBS or "NOLA" for my double mastectomy with reconstruction.  I could not be more please with the treatment I received and with the results.  Check them out at breastcenter.com  You'll never miss your implants ;)

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010
    Mobay- we all sing praises. The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook presents an unbiased view.  Website; www.breastrecon.com While you could never tell by reading this book, the author Kathy Steligo's recon MD was Dr DellaCroce. I e-mailed her personally and asked her after my surgery to say thank you for her book....no one at the center would come clean-CONFIDENTIALITY!  This book is provided for many women by their PS's or recommended.  It's an AWESOME resource.......My local PS gave it to me w/ a packet-I love him BUT he has not done the volume of cases yet that could compare w/ CRBS or www.breastcenter.com hope it's legal to put those websites on there?  I plead ignorance if it's not.
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Kim, yes!  The swelling Juanita referred to is reserved for us DIEP gals.  The long incision line across the lower abdomen interrupts a lot of lymphatic channels. Since drainage of the lymphatic fluid goes from the extremities to the heart, the incision path blocks drainage until lymphatic channels are reestablished. This can take weeks or months. Avoid salty foods, drink lots of water and walk often to keep swelling down.  Once the incision is completely healed, you can do light massage in circles, spiralling outward to help move fluid buildup/swelling or have professional manual lymphedema massages.  

Mobay, I didn't choose to go to NOLA and lived to regret it.  I ended up there after problems from my stage I in L.A., when I was forced to seek out the very best surgeon to fix up the mess my first doctor made.  This goes through my head all the time now:  "Go straight to NOLA.  Do not pass Go and do not collect $200!"

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010

Wow I had my DIEP almost 6 weeks agome and no one explained to about the swelling or I forgot. I tried a pair of my jeans on and they were about 5 inches from buttoning. WTH? I did go to PT last week and am scheduled at 1 time a week until my stage 2.

Kim, the post op for me was set about 6 days out from my surgery date. I had my pre-op, surgery, and pos-op dates before leaving. however, my post op was set for a monday, fly home tuesday. They called me monday and had to reschedule it for tuesday before our flight. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited October 2010
    Ok, this question is for K9Kim, she met her max again!

"And one other thing, they have not told me who my second reconstruction surgeon is in addition to Dr D? Again, have you guys found that you know that going in, has anyone actually had to wait until the pre-op?"

My answer to you Kim is, Sullivan told me at my pre-op it would be Dr D or Trahan (sp?) assisting him, but I met a lady that had Dr D that day close to my surgery time so I'm not really sure who assisted him.

• mobay1020
    edited October 2010

Thanks Ladies for all the advice.  Now the question is, how do I go about getting a consult at NOLA.  And will my insurance cover it?  I am still trying to pay the bills from my double mastectomy and my reconstruction!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Michele - I believe you should contact:

The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery
    Liz@breastcenter.com
    504.899.2800 (office)
    888.899.2288 (toll-free)
    504.899.2700 (fax)
    www.breastcenter.com

Also if you go to their website it lists a couple forms to get started with:

http://www.breastcenter.com/contact/starting.php 

As far as your insurance, that's something only the center and your insurance can work out. Plus the financial form will help determine what you pay out of pocket after insurance covers it.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

Thanks for the shower tip!  I don't remember who responded but I saw it on my phone over the weekend.  I think I will still pack some body wipes just to freashen up a bit between.  Did get a new (much needed) hairstyle which is about 3 inches shorter in the back - it will also help those first few showers too.

My 2 cents worth on the nipples.  I have implants now and did not want nipples but went with 3D tattoo several months back. I really like the tatts but know that they may get wrecked next week.  Now that I am going with flaps I think I will get very low profile nipples when I go for that stage.  The reaction my hubby had with just the 3D tatt made me realize just how important it was to him even though he was telling me it wasn't.  I think just a little nub will mean something for him but not be too bothersome for me to dress around.

Best wishes to all this week and those healing!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

I think that's the hard part for me, I am single so to me it doesn't seem necessary for cost and time etc... and I can't see doing nipples for anyone but me. I think I'll hold off for now, I'm just so happy to have breasts again. I can always do it later. We have an excellent PS in town, he just didn't do DIEP.

Thank you so much ladies for your input, I truly appreciate it :)

• plainjane64
    edited October 2010

Happy Monday!  This is my first  'vacation' not medical leave/or having surgery in 2 years!  YAY!  Finally built back up my PTO bank.  Starting to remember what it feels like! 

Spring thanks again for starting all this fun.  I will be on the lookout for you(but not stalking) thurs am at MSY but you'll likely be whisked off to your preop.

Journey-we might cross paths at Roosevelt Sunday?  So excited about that place it looks so fabulous.

OK, back to laundry and errands

• mobay1020
    edited October 2010

Journey,

It's been a long time but I think I connected with you on here right after I was dx.  If my memory serves me correctly you don't live too far from me in Atlanta.  Did you have original surgery with Dr. Davoudi?  He did my reconstruction over a year ago and obviously from me being on here I have had complications.  Did you have a problem with him or just the overall surgery.

Thanks DragonFly for the contact info.  I am definitely going to do some more research on this.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

OMG - Mobay!  I hope you didn't follow me to Dr. Davoudi?!  I am so very sorry if you did.  He did my TE's (one failed in 4 weeks and had to be replaced) and 2 separate capsule release with 2 sets of implants.  I gave up on him and went to another PS in Athens last year who I think did a good job with what he had left to work with, but now his work is sliding down on one side.  I am giving up on implants and before I just go flat chested I felt I needed to try the SGap. (I was never a DIEP candidate which I think Dr. D would have liked to do if I was.)  ANYWAY, gosh I am so sorry you are having issues too.  You have been thru so much.

Since you are in Atlanta you may want to contact Dr. Marga Massey's Charleston office.  You can set up a consult with her next time she works there and it would be a nice get away for you.  She really only wants to do the stage 1 surgery in New Orleans but will do stage 2, etc in Charleston.  I may be wrong but she seems to rotate between her 3 offices about every 2 or 3 months.  Let me know what you end up doing please.

• mobay1020
    edited October 2010

No worries Journey.  I had multiple recommendations for Dr. Davoudi!  Funny you should talk about Charleston because someone else just pm'd me with this info.  I think I might contact her.  Just one other question.....  Everyone keeps referring to stage 1, stage 2 etc......   Since I already started the recon process would that already be considered stage 1?  I guess I need to really get a consult with another PS to get all my questions answered.   I always thought that I would go back to Dr. Davoudi when I was ready again but I'm glad I came on here again and saw that there are other options.