Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited October 2010

Got a text from K9Kim, she doesn't have access to a pc right now, so she'll update everyone later!!

She met with Sally, and the Dr Stolier, loved them both!!! She got bumped to 5 to meet with Dr D. She said oddball is in her thoughts and prayers and hoping she should be in recovery by now. Also that driving there is super confusing with street names and round abouts!!! LOL and the GPS is useless :)

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2010

Hello Everyone,

My name is Laurie.  Live in Washington State.  I just scheduled my surgery at NOVA.  I have Dr. Sullivan and Dr. Lagarde.  Does anyone know Dr. Lagarde? Haven't seen the name pop up anywhere here.  

Sounds like you are all headed for New Orleans to party.  Just wondering, has anyone ever felt good enough after surgery to listen to some live jazz in some local pub in New Orleans?  

Nervous but happy, if you know what I mean.

Springtime- What a beautiful horse, do you ride often?  Just curious, I just love that picture. 

Laurie

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2010

The time is getting near....Nov 10th is my stage2. Haven't been around the boards much lately. Been dealing with multiple blood clots in my leg that was misdiagnosed as a "knee problem" for months.  Finally, ortho said lets just do a doppler even though I don't think it is a clot. WEll, I have one from my groin to my knee, a couple behind my knee, and a couple of small ones in my calf. It probably did start out as a knee injury as I was prepping to do a mini marathon...but anyway..5 months later we find the clots. Never really had pain, just knee swelling and finally ankle swelling which led to the doppler. Totally had these clots when I had my stage 1 done and didn't know it. Old clots are harder to get rid of new clots so I am not seeing much progress and it is very frustrating!!

Did lovenox, then  coumadin. Couldn't keep INR in range. 3 weeks later doppler showed no improvement but did find a "floating" clot in my groin. So, bed rest for 4 days and back on lovenox. Meanwhile my doc does some tests for autoimmune disorders since they can cause clots. My titers came back above the normal range so now off to rheumatologist for more tests. Hoping the titer are out of range due to clot issue or my thyroid issue and nothing new is found. Other than the leg issue which limits my mobility ALOT, I feel fine.

At least I have been to pre-occupied to get too nervous about stage 2, but someone reminded me today that it is right around the corner...(all docs are on board with the plan even with the clots). So, for me it will be ooph and hyterectomy + regular PS stage 2 stuff. Do most of you have a pretty good idea of what you want done when you see the doc? (mine will be Dr D). I think I want to go smaller. I am a D, but would like a c average..Do you tell them a cup size or are there other ways of measurng? I had nipple sparing, but have one nipple that ended up flat and scarred and i am hoping something can be done about that. Everything else is gravy. I guess if I had my choice I would do the traditional tuck and some inner thigh lipo, but like I said I'd be happy with a nice set of breasts...

I am flying this time instead of driving (no kids this time, just good friend). Not a great flyer..some anxiety about that. All in all, will be glad to be completely on the other side!!

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

Hi Laurie:  

I'm in Seattle and had Stage 1 surgery in May and Stage 2 in Sept of this year.  I had Dr. Legarde do my mastectomy and Dr. D and Trahan do Stage 1, Dr. D. for Stage 2, and saw Dr. S. a few times during both stages, as well.  I can't say enough overwhelmingly good things about all of them, as all women on this Board will say.  I was diagnosed in February.  Met with quite a few docs here in Seattle, then heard about these guys from a friend in Michigan, who is also here (dear, Angel Amy) and then proceeded to do massive research and all signs kept pointing to NOLA.  I couldn't be happier!  Yes, it's a pain-in-the-tushie (physically and emotionally) to fly to NOLA and back from Seattle, but so, so, so worth it!!!!  I didn't feel well enough after Stage 1 to do anything at night, but we did go out after Stage 2.  Good luck with this decision - it's a big one!

Melissa

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2010

LadyBug... bummer on the clots!  Wow - good thing they found them!!

Post-Stage 2 girls:  I am 4 weeks out from Stage 2 and have a question about exercise, specifically running.  I have been a good girl and followed NOLA's instructions religiously, re: no heavy duty exercise for 4 weeks, but would like to start running now.  I've been walking a ton but no running.  Tried today and - wowzers! - my butt and thighs hurt.  I stopped because I wasn't sure if it's pain that I should just push through, or wait a little longer.  Would wearing the black Dom girdle help at all?   Thoughts?? 

Thanks!! 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2010

Ladybug- Im sorry to hear abou the clots too.  I hope they can get then to dissolve.

Oddball  Hope you feel ok tomorrow.

K9Kim- Good Luck tomorrow!

We fly out tomorrow am.  Wish that everyone could be going to NOLA this weekend.

See lots of you soon!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2010

Did someone end up making a Reservation at Zeas?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2010

Melissa - the pain is from the lipo - I had it the first couple of times I ran too. I backed off a little and just started running maybe 30 seconds to a minute at a time, then walk, then jog again. Nice and easy! Listen to your body on this one... but you know as I say that - I always end up pushing through pain anyway... LOL.

Icis - Wooohooo! Really. I think you are making a great decision - but I have already told you that!

Well... I heard from Celeste today because I was thinking I may want a minor tweak to my inframammary fold on the left side (it has started drooping just a little - and the right side doesn't so much because of the radiated tissue and lack of elasticity). I wasn't in any great hurry to have it fixed, if ever, as it is so minor it is really something I can live with - but sent pics anyway just to see what it would take to fix it.  Well... Celeste said Dr. S would squeeze me in on an outpatient basis on Tuesday! What the heck! Now I need to decide what to do... but am leaning toward the fix... but I really do love things the way they are, so am hesitant... but also know that with age that left side may end up drooping some more.  I wasn't expecting to have to make a quick decision but now I have less than 24 hours to do it! (not that I am upset - I am forever grateful, just overwhelmed!!!) hmmm...now if I wasn't so worried about my lymphedema getting worse, I would push for that tummy tuck... LOL!

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

PS - All of you that cannot make it this weekend will be greatly missed!

Robyn - You know I wish more than anything that you could be there... let me know when you go in the spring and maybe we can make a quick weekend to see you and Jeff!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2010
    lciscarroll Dr Legarde was my breast surgeon for my bilat mast and she also put in my port when I had to go back the next month for some issues from Stage 1.  She was very nice and straightforward.  I really liked her.  You'll be in good hands from start to finish!
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

Nordy, GO FOR IT!! Just get it over with!!!

Thursday night at Zea's. I think there be at least 16 - see the listing Minn sent. I did NOT make a reservation at Zea's.

Sandy? Did you handle it?? Did anybody? (Good Question by Pam above!)

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2010

Robyn - great to hear from you! I hope you still getting to dance some.

Mchas - I started running again about 6 weeks out from stage 2, had some pain the first time or two but it got better. I think Nordy's advice is good. Now I am 2 months out from stage 2 and have zero pain with running, so it got better pretty quickly for me.

Laurie - welcome! I'm in Seattle and had Dr. Sullivan. I had a wonderful experience and am thrilled with how things turned out. You're in fantastic hands.

I finally went to see my local PS here to talk about tattoos last week. He hadn't seen me since before reconstruction. He is known to have a very brusque, brutally honest personality so I was a bit nervous about hearing his feedback on my breasts. He studied them in silence for a minute or so and then sat back and said: "You have a world-class, perfect outcome. Will you go sit naked in our waiting room for a few hours?" Then he did the thing you all talk about where he went and grabbed the nurses to come in and see my breasts, etc. It was a nice ego boost. I went bra shopping right afterward. ; )

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

Laughlines - that is AWESOME!!! I am super happy for you!

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

Okay, getting nervous. Shall I rattle off all the things I am nervous/paranoid about? You will all think I have lost my mind. LOL Mostly just worried about my kids in NOLA during such a busy period... well, I would worry about them anyway, but still... Then worried if I really do need a tweak... will it make it better? Does it even matter? Can I afford it?! LOL... Yes... my name is Nordy and I am a worrier. Someone please give me the 12 steps to end the worry addiction!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2013

Nordy, you can't be any worse than me seriously!! I think most woman are worriers, than given the burden of fighting this beast on top of every day stuff!! Ahh how can you escape? Go to NOLA, have a blast, a drink, a tweak, dinner and laughs with friends :)

• Dagroz13
    Dagroz13 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

Hey everyone thank you for responding to my questions.  I had the hip flap (incision from about hip bone to about 2 inches from tail bone on both sides).  Ken was a surprise and I did discuss with the nurse and she said it would go down and it is going down but I'm still a Ken.  Too funny.  

I had a nipple sparing bilateral masectomy last Tuesday by Dr. Lagarde and reconstruction by Dr. Massey as the primary surgeon and Dr. Sullivan as the other surgeon.  On the profolactic side I have a patch (graft of skin from my hip) and that breast it is quite a bit smaller than the other side but for now I still have both of my niples (the profolactic side is purple but the other is pretty pink).  I have breasts but NOAA (no ass at all).  Over the years my tush has fallen but now it can't even get up.  Looking forward to see how I look after all of the swelling goes down.  

Other than my headaches I have limited pain (but that is me).  I am ever so grateful for Dr. Massey and NOLA.  I've been unemployed for over a year and my COBRA is out of network but they worked with me.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can work something out for Stage 2 before my 18 months of COBRA runs out. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2010

Pam and  Spring, I have not called Zea yet.  Are you counting spouses and kids?  I will call tomorrow if I can get a good idea of how many in total we will number.

Ladybug, so sorry to hear about the clots, but glad that you are doing well enough to be planning your stage II. 

I noted on Facebook that Liz went back into the hospital for more surgery, but she is apparently doing fine now.

Laughlines, what a wonderful feeling that is!  I remember sitting there at Cafe du Monde after you'd met with both doctors, and thinking about the magnitude of the decisions you were facing and how brave you were. 

Nordy, I'm feeling a lot of similar worries, which is not typical for me.  Maybe because it's been a year since my last surgery and I'm not sure I should be asking for anything else.  How wonderful that Dr. S is willing to squeeze you in while you're in town though--I know I'd be tempted!

• Nordy
    edited October 2010

Sandy -are you still on here? Will my kids be ok in NOLA? I plan to keep them out of the Quarter on Halloween... but I still worry. I don't want to lose track of either of them!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2010

I was supposed to schedule a Stress echo (treadmill) with my cardiologist this fall, thinking my Stage 2b would be in August.  Due to complications, I had to put it off, and am now scheduled for surgery on Nov 4.  Given the dates and recovery time, I think I might not get this echo fit into this maxxed out year, darn it.  Do you think I could run a treadmill for the cardiologist 5 weeks after my surgery?  I wonder.  I'm not in very good shape given all my stuff this year.

• longj72
    longj72 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

Hi I am scheduled with Dr massey for DIEP on Nov 3rd...I only have a few days left before surgery. I had cancer in 1998...failed reconstruction with implants and now just want my breasts fixed permanently. I am very excited and quite nervous too. But from my research,  I am very confident in my doctor and in the services provided by NOLA!

• kcshreve
    edited October 2010

Longj - you will be delighted with your new breasts, I promise.  It will seem like a gift, and it is.  The permanence is what drew me - once finished, no more fussing or replacing, hooray for that!  I'm scheduled the day after you, maybe we'll meet.  Can you put your screen name outside your door?  I'll do the same - KCShreve/ Christine

• kcshreve
    edited October 2010

Longj - which facility are you scheduled to be in?

• longj72
    longj72 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

kcshreve,

I will be staying at Hope Lodge and will have surgery at the Center for restorative breast health or the St Charles Hospital, I think that is the name, It is where Dr. Massey does surgery there in NOLA. I will put my name on my door if I can remember it...the logistics of gettting everything arranged has been a challange as well as having all the pre op testing. I will be happy to meet you, I had my Stress Echo last week and my bilateral breast MRI yesterday.

Joann

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Finally talked to Jeanine yesterday about Stage 2.  I am 4 weeks out from Stage 1 and the only date she has with Dr. D is Dec 20th.  Am I crazy for doing this so close to Christmas?

Prayers are with everyone traveling to NOLA this week.  It sure would be fun to meet everyone at Zea's.  Hope you guys have loads of fun.  You are all incredible women.

Melinda

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2010

Wow lots of activity here last night.  Guess there are a bunch of us getting ready to go to NOLA.  I'm headed out the door for work this morning but wanted to wish everyone who is out of surgery well; those who are traveling - be safe; and those (like me!) with surgery coming up - some peace!  Hugs,

- Gretchen

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

Tick tock!  last minute errand/prep day!

YES, all you who can't come you WILL very much be missed!

K9Kim and oddball thoughts prayers positive vibes- feel them!  It's going to be good!  awesome!

Laughlines-you are fabulous!

Spring I sent you a pm-YOU are so sweet!  have been planning on a cab to and fro airport and will just use the streetcar and my feet.  Could you just tell them I'm your sister-KIDDING!

Need to check weather- yesterday it looked perfect.

Sandy-cute, cute, cute....wish you had some w/ you there but yes! I will have one.  

half marathon-god willing and my feet don't start to become excruciatingly painful/have extensive deep blisters/or stressfractures(Oh NEUROTIC!).  Booked another 'lot of walking' vacation in about 3 weeks(rome, tuscany, florence).  SOMETHING else that was started but never finished 2 yrs ago upon diagnosis!  Nonetheless, will never forget what my favorite attending at work said when we had to cancel in 2008;"Hey-the important thing is you'll GET to go!"  so true! 

Nordy-you and your husband are AWESOME parents-those sweet little girls will be fine.  Besides you told me they would wear leashes?  kidding!  Can't wait to meet your littles!

Lastly-we must take lots of pics.  I absolutely hate getting my pic done, but am over it, hate posing, but I'd really love a pic of all of us.

see many of you SOON!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2010

LongJ72, if you would like to be added to the listing above, please let me know what you'd like to add. Welcome! See above for examples of the information I need. You can pick what you want to add, not everything is required of course! 

Sandy and Minn, I think at one point I counted 17 and that included spouses/partners and Nordy's kids! If you know a few locals may come, then perhaps say "up to 20"? thank you for doing this!  Minn suggested we start gathering at 5 and have dinner at 7. I don't know if I can wait until 7 to eat, so we may just show up and eat! We'll have been up since 4AM... (7PM will be 8 east coast time!)

Nordy and PJ, I am so PROUD of you both for doing a HALF MARATHON!!!  ON behalf of all your sisters here, YOU GO GIRLS!!!

go 

Nordy, about the surgery, have a consult with Dr. S. and ask him if he thinks he can make it significantly better. They are real good judges of that! As for your little ones in French Quarter on Halloween, I would NOT let go of their hands, I swear! :O  (Go during day light hours??) 

• Nordy
    edited August 2013

Spring - YES, fully intend to do most everything with them during daylight hours except for boo at the Zoo - which is only at night, but limited in number and geared for kids under 12. Since it will be dark when we leave we will probably call a cab to get back to the hotel that night. I don't know the streets in that area - or the park for that matter, so probably will just do that.

PJ - I WASN"T kidding about the leashes! We have 2 little backpack things that have leashes attached and I am not afraid to use them. The only other time we used one was in Las Vegas - same thing, crazy crowded streets. It does not mean we don't hold their hands too! But this way if they aren't holding our hands for 2 seconds, they will still be attached to us somehow. People look at me crazy sometimes when I talk about this... I don't care - I just say, "Well, I would rather leash them and HAVE them..." 

Okay, nerves setting in... going to call the Center right now... Think I will go ahead with the whole shebang. Wasn't planning on it, nor the $$ that is going into it... Hubby is not too elated with the whole idea. Anyway... ahahahahahh

Trishia - Southwest has Spokane to NOLA tx on sale through Ding fares today for $99 from Dec. 1-19... if you are interested! The sales are usually only for one day long, so if you want them, you need to get on it!

Spring - THANK YOU!!! A cheering section at the finish would be fab if any of you ladies are up to it! 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2010

Today I feel I have turned a corner.  It has been a long 4 weeks since Stage 1 and I have been impatient to not have pain like the last two years.  Honestly I was getting a bit discouraged thinking I must have suffered nerve damage during the mastectomy that would never heal.   Dr. D had told me there were no guarantee but, he thought he could make it better for sure.  I am so happy to tell you all that I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Today my pain is at 25%.  Would not even call it pain but just a little discomfort.  I am typing this with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.  I am so lucky to have found this thread.  It was the one that led my to the Center and Dr. D.  I feel like I am finally on my way back to a quality of life that I thought was forever lost.  I can not thank you all enough.

I just found this poem that a very good friend wrote for me for the "Girls going away Party" before the masectomy.

Ode To My Boobs

Oh boobs of mine so close to my heart

The time has now come that we must part

To so many, pleasures you have given,

But the doctor says that of you I must be ridden.

You have stood proudly in front of me for many years,

And now I bid you farewell with a few shed tears.

I will think of you fondly as time comes to pass,

But to the cancer within you, I say "Kiss My Ass"!!                                                                                    

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

So just checking is the reservation made?

Sandy sending you a pm ....Alaina??????  do you think she'll be around for any of the fun?