Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2010

Hi All, DH and I are flying to NOLA tomorrow. Hope to take a swamp tour and do a few touristy things before surgery on Thursday. I am soooo nervous.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

sheridangirl, you're right ahead of me. Please let me know all about your stage 2, and what fun stuff you do there :) Good luck to you!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Trisha, yes, your ONC or any doc can write a script for the sleeve. Nordy ( a few posts back) went through the entire riga-ma-roll in her post. You can't buy one and get reimbursed. 

Ladies, I think lymphedema is apparently not as well understood as it should be. Good grief to therapists measuring arms and not getting you a sleeve!!! (DOY). 

Safe travels Sheri!

Dragon, the center can hook up a person who is coming for breast surgery with someone to do a hysterectomy at the same time. Is that what you were asking? I have seen that lots of women do this. Not that uncommon at all....

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I'm calling tomorrow to get the script, I'm mad at myself for not speaking up sooner and getting one. Hope I can before flying on the 16th.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly, I had my hyst/ooph with Dr. Pui Cheng a couple of years ago.  At that time, it was arranged for me at Omega Hospital.  I don't know if she has privileges at St. Charles.  She's a gynecologic oncologist and only accepted my case because I was high risk for a gyn cancer (mom had uterine cancer after breast cancer).   When I first called her office, staff told me that she didn't take new cases without a diagnosis, but Celeste worked some magic for me and I got lucky.  I wanted the surgery done by a gyn/onc because they take extra caution by washing the peritoneal cavity, removing the organs in whole so no potential cancer cells escape, more biopsying, etc.   I believe that someone else has recently had a hysterectomy, at St. Charles, but I don't recall who that was.  I'm sure our nurses can help your friend with this.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Thanks Ladies, I believe she is calling the center tomorrow!!

Quick question, I thought my blood work for stage 2 had to be done right before leaving. I was going to do it tomorrow, does anyone know if that's too late. I thought before for stage 1 it said no MORE than 30 days prior to surgery. This letter for stage 2 says it has to be done 20-30 days PRIOR to surgery, but it isn't dated until 10/20 which is already within the 20-30 day timeframe. I'm confused and in a panic now. It's just a CBC and UA?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

Mamluch - the way my insurance works is that I've maxxed out all my expenses for in and out of network for the year.  Since I was able to get this recent surgery within this one year timeframe, the costs we incurred were travel/lodging related.  No more medical costs for this time.

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

dragon - if you get your bloodwork done tomorrow, you'll be good.  Your ekg and chest xray are valid for 6 months.  Bloodwork is good for 30 days. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Ok thanks kcshreve :) Going first thing!!

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2010

Hi Trainertam.....I will be going next week on the 16th to NOLA for my tatooing and I would like to add a page to the book. The last time that I was there back in early September, there were some blank pages left so I was wondering if there still are. I have my page prepared and want to take it with me next week and add to the book! I guess if all goes well that I will be completely finished with my reconstruction and will close this chapter in my life. I am so thankful that I found them and feel so blessed and happy and whole again!

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Chimama05 - Several of us where there less than 2 weeks ago now, and there were pages left in the back!

I also need to be reminded of the specs, Chimama, do you know? What exactly are we to buy to do it? Can somebody tell me? I go back in Dec 21 for my tattoo, and will also be done... That will be my last opportunity to add a page! 

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

I sent a PM to Tammy - not sure she's still hooked in, hopefully she'll let me/us know the details of what to do....

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Ok, so I requested a script from my surgeon, waiting to hear back. There is 1 if not 2 places in town that can get the sleeves fitted/measured for me. So hopefully find something out later today.

I just realized the hope lodge has no bathtubs right? Silly huh, but it just came to me. My Grandma is staying with me this time and she ALWAYS takes a bath instead of a shower! LOL Too late now to back out :) 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2010

Hi everyone! it's been a whle since I've posted. I miss you all! it's been 23 weeks (5 months) since my stage 2. even though i had quite a bit of lipo I a have only lost 2 lbs!! and i am still wearing the same size clothes.weird. i would love to be back at NOLA for Dr. D to lift my right non -radiated breast to match the tight left radiated one, but i don't have enough hours on the books at work to take  the time off. I would ove to have him do it this year for ins. purposes but I guess I'll just get used to being lopsided!! it's better than being flat/concave, like I was when I met him in Feb.; 2010!Foot in mouth

For those who want to add to our Thank You Book: You will need to get a 12 X 12 sheet of acid free paper at the craft store (MICHAELS) and make sure you add your name and preferably your screen name from here. Any pictures or letters of thanks should be directd to our beloved Doctors (keeping in mind all the future patients will be reading these). You can see in the book some of the gals created a "privacy flap" for their more expictite pictures Surprised. but these pictures are really appreciated by the new gals coming in. It's up to you as to how comfortable you are showing the magic that the Dr's gave you. I have a link posted on TimTams picture site for anyone who wants to see the pages that we created for the first half of the book. I purposfully bought a book that can be addd to easily, so lets fill it upLaughing Pm me if you have any specific questions about how to do a page...or call me 949 654-5450.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Tammy - is that normal for stage 2? I'm headed down in a week for stage 2.

I haven't read much about the book so this is interesting. I only have 1 picture after being marked up last time, where is the book at? 

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

I had my final final appt today at NOLA.  Glad to be done, but sad to say goodbye.  It was a tearful farewell, these are such precious people, seriously!   The scrapbooks are on display in the open clinic reception area.  The older green one along with the newer pink one.  There are at least 3 empty pages in the back, and quite a lot of room for more to be added.  Trainer - you did great on putting that together.  I've not done my pages, but I know when I do that there will be room.  Those of you who did yours already, I sat there with my dh and cried, again, at the stories and the beautiful results you've gotten.   I got my cancer diagnosis the week before Thanksgiving last year, and here I am, all done, looking better than before, less than a year out.  I feel so grateful in so many ways. 

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2010

Spring,

Please add me to the list.  I am finally able to go back for stage 2.  I will be in treatment for the rest of my life but, hey I wanna look GOOD!

Dec. 2, Dr. D. SCSH, Stage 2.

Thanks

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Tammy, thank you for the information! That is what we needed. I will get on this before December. 12x12 sheet of acid free paper, add screen name / name. OK! And the rest is art!

BettyeE!! Whoop! So nice to hear from you again, girl! I am so glad for you! I hope your treatment is going okay. You hanging in there? Glad to hear you are returning to NOLA for Stage 2 -- and heck yeah! You will look Gorgeous!  Good for you! 

KC, you sound so thankful. Gratitude is such a good thing. We are all very blessed really.  

Ladies, I am embarrassed to report that I have pee'd through the underwear on the outside of my "Dom", no, not once, but TWICE in the last 10 days! What is WRONG with me!! I have given up wearing the underwear. (TMI, I know!!!) Apparently, I am not coordinated enough to pull it off!!! Ugh!!! 

Spring. 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2010

This stage 2...While I had more work done.  My Pain seems normal to what most report for stage 2.  Vs my 1st stage 2 that felt like stage 1 all over again as far as pain.  I was in pain for 6+ months.

So I am glad to be feeling pretty good.

I came home with 15# of water weight on me.  I have lost about 6# so far : (

Nordy I hope your infection looks better each day.

It was really fun to meet alot of you.

Has anyone heard from K9Kim?

Bettye-Glad you have your stage2 set.  Good To see you here.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

SPRING! You should have given up the undies a longgggg time ago! Hurray on FREEDOM!

Okay - for all of you stage 2 people... I am going to give you one piece of advice... If Dr. D or Dr. S suggests it and it is going to make you look better, be like a Nike ad and JUST DO IT. There are some things that Dr. S suggested for me that I did not go along with because I was afraid... Now I wish I could go back to March and do it all over again. You know, they are the professionals on sculpting and shaping your bodies and making their work look as fabulous as possible. Not that my boobs are not fabulous, because they totally are - but there were some other areas that Dr. S wanted to extract fat from and sculpt me... and I didn't let him! I wish I would have. SO, having said that, good luck to all of you coming up for stages 1 and 2! 

Deja - thank you - it is slowly getting better! Hurray! Glad to hear that you are feeling better each day. Hope that you are able to shed that water weight quickly!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

hi ladies  didnt get out of the hospital till today.  they had a hard time getting my blood pressure up enough, and opto give me too unts of blood.  I was running fever up ulast night, but it stayed under 100 .   i also met K9Kim who came by to see me today.  She is a lovely lady!  I am at my room at the  Hope Lodge, and fly home tomorrow. VERY swollen and sore,but expected both.  He did nipples, revised both incisions, and took tissue from under my arms (beside my breast)  Everything seems to look real good from what i can see.  Good Luck to all those coming up! will check in when I get home.

• Springtime
    edited August 2013

Ginnie, Glad you are ok! Thank you for checking in... Sorry you had a long stay in hospital... but glad you got to meet K9Kim -- no we have not heard from Kim! I hope she checks in and gives us and update. She must be pretty good if she stopped in to see Gin!

Pam, glad this stage 2 is better. I have to say that my stage 2b has been a piece of cake. My regular stage 2 -- I had a lot done. This one was much less work, plus maybe the "water lipo" -- I don't know. I am still sore in the back area, but it's so much easier than the last time! So I know what you mean Pam!

Nordy, glad the nip tattoo is healing! I think others will be interested to see your advice on "go for it". Every time I get marked up with a blue pen, and it seems like all over, Dr. says, these are just suggestions. I'm like, yep, go for it. I am not that attached to fat on the parts of my body he wants to remove, and add to other parts that need it! ha! It is exactly like "sculpting" as you put it!

Today I decided to order the Marina "next stage" garment (no zippers and hooks on the sides)-- this is for after the first 2 weeks. I could not find a cheapo one on ebay or anywhere in my size, so just bit the bullet. I've been wearing the Spanx at night, and the Marina "right after surgery" garment during the day (this one has the zippers and hooks on the side).   

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2010

Good to hear from you Gin!  Sorry that you had a rough time & had to stay so long.

Spring that is whats wierd about my 2 stage 2s.  my 1st one I hardly had anything done with alot of pain.  This one I had alot done with less pain.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I'm glad to hear Kim checked in with you Gin, I hadn't heard from you on here, and I had text her but no response so I was kind of worried! Hope you get to feeling better Gin :)

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Spring, I can't find the Stage 2 Marena on eBay, either. But since I have lots of power spanx from before, I'll probably stick with them. I did get a Stage 1 Marena, though. That's what Marga had me in after my Stage 2 last time, but it got way too big really fast. This one should compress quite well the whole time...

Not sure I'll be doing surgery on Nov 19 after all. Trying to firgure out some pain in my upper back and shoulder and into my arm. I think it's a cervical disc or nerve root impingement. I may have to put off surgery till later if it looks like I'll need an epidural steroid injection. MRI was supposed to be today, but insurance glitches nixxed that...we'll try again later this week. Damn. I hate being in pain, and this is about as bad as any I've ever had...

We'll just have to see how it goes and be flexible...

Anne

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

Anne! I wish you lived near me - I would work on your neck! If it is an impingement - a good manual PT could do wonders for you! I hope that you find some relief soon.

Spring and Pam - glad to hear you are both doing so well. Gin - glad you are out of the hospital and feeling a bit better! And super glad to hear K9 is doing well also!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

The countdown has begun!   Leaving home Sunday Nov 14, staying at Hope Lodge, with surgery on the 16th.  I am SOOO glad that I'll be seeing Dragonfly, AnneW and Sheridangirl.  Can't believe how excited and nervous I am, at the same time.  

As you all know, I did decide on the mastectomy on my remaining breast, with bilateral DIEP flap reconstruction, expanding from an A cup to a B.  Well, today I'm informed that after Dr. S studied my pics, he probably can only get a small B cup , unless he uses fat tissue from my hip or just does the left-sided DIEP with augmenting the remaining breast.  After some thought, I decided to stay with my original decision to have the mastectomy and bilateral DIEP reconstruction.  I'm hoping that the couple extra pounds I've managed to pack on due to stress the past few weeks, will provide just enough to build me a couple full size B's.  LOL  

I think it would be really helpful to know what to expect of my appearance when I leave to go home.  I expect some swelling and bruising due to the trauma of the surgery but will I return home bigger than I left?  Do I have to wait until after Phase 2 to start to see the bennies of these surgeries?  Like a flatter tummy?

Good luck Sheridangirl on your Thursday surgery.  I'm sandwiched in between all you Phase 2 ladies.  What do you think -- am I going to be up for visitors  right after   my phase 1 surgery?   Dragonfly, I'm going to PM you...never got your message with phone number.

Gotta get to sleep.  Today was my daughter's due date and I'm one of her coaches -- could get that call tonight!  Good night ladies. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Isn't it crazy, a couple months ago I was in your shoes. I can't believe, like it just hit me that this time next week I'll be in bed because of leaving at 3am for the airport. Time sure flies by huh!

I think it totally depends on your body shape and size going into it, I'm a little larger so I can totally tell but still fit into my clothes from before the same. Just minus the "muffin top" :) lol

Good luck to your daughter, her family and the coach! 

I'll PM you my phone number right now!! 

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

Dajaboo - I had a lot of post-St 2 swelling/water weight, too.  It was shocking. Go low sodium, lots of walking, lots of water and fresh veggies, and it will drop down in a few days.  I think it took me about 5-7 days to get most of it off, then it dropped consistently, but at a slower rate.  I found the extra water to be very uncomfortable initially, but it didn't stay forever.  

At this Stage 2B, I've had very little water weight, but then, Dr S did not do much lipo, so that lipo water/adjustment is significant. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2010

Wow! Three pages since I posted!

Sorry you've had problems with your tats, Nordy - but how do they look?! Are you happy with them otherwise?!

Hi Sallym - so good to get to see you again in NOLA, and you looked so great and so much better than when you were flat on your back in the hospital with those terrible wounds! Really, it took me a while to figure out it was you!

Deja - so glad you are healing better this time! I'm doing pretty good, tho emotionally am near tears almost constantly - is this after-effects of anesthesia or what?! I guess I should ask my shrink husband. Nordy, ask your husband!

Springtime - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

KC - congrats on being done! Hard to believe, going into this, that we'd end up missing these docs and nurses, huh?!

Ginnie - Sorry about your delayed release from the hospital - that's great, tho, that you got to meet Kim and that she looks good!

Good luck to Elaine, Foobs, and Sheridan Girl!