Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Ann, I can try to answer some of your questions. I have no clue about lipo of the chin. It's not considered a post-op deformity, so I wouldn't count on it getting done as "part of the package." But if you don't ask, you'll never know!

As far as the skin color from the flaps, well, not much will change that. Except maybe in the next stage with a littlle lift they can reduce the size. I have a football shape (small) that should get reduced to a circle next time, and the circle one can now be reduced to nothing. I had fine hair on mine for several months, but it all died off eventually.

Hope that helps.

Anne

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2010

Brenda (I'm Brenda too)--most docs who have patients come in front out of town absolutely won't do the surgery unless you have someone with you.  I don't have a lot of support either and considered it, but after going through stage 1 and 2 SGAP I know why they insist on it.  At the very least you need someone to carry things for you since you'll have a lifting restriction, but it's also nice to have someone around to fill prescriptions, deal with transportation and hotel, etc.

Maybe talk to the center and see if they have any suggestions for you, I'm sure you're not the first person to ask.

You might also consider going to Charleson, SC (Craigie, Kline, Massey). Is that any closer for you?

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

Springtime: thanks for the welcome and adding me to the "list".  My surgery though is scheduled in just over TWO weeks though not six.  :)   

To all you ladies: I'd love any and all suggestions or comments that could help settle my nerves!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

dbdaze - how awesome you're having Dr S, I had Dr S in September for stage 1. I am flying back to NOLA from Oregon on the 16th-23rd for stage 2 with Dr S.  When do you fly home? We are also staying at the hope lodge. For me I took more clothing than I wore. The basics I tell everyone to take is the loung/sweat/pj pants. They are so comfy, yet don't look half bad. I have a few black pairs full length and the capris. So I took some of those, and I did take tank tops and a v neck shirt. I had no problem at all putting on regular shirts, but I also did take 2 hooded zip up sweatshirts. That's what I wore almost the whole time, lounge pants and a tank top. I also took tennis shoes, but wore flip flops for flying. Much easier to slip on and off through security when you can't bend down too well to tie your laces, oh and my slippers! There of course is wi-fi at the lodge and the center. So if you have a laptop, I took mine, and my ipod and books.

I stayed at the hope lodge last time, and it's so awesome they have it for us and other cancer patients and that there is no charge. I had hoped to do a hotel this time around but I got laid off so money is tight. The hope lodge is a basic hotel room, 2 beds, and a small tv and a bathroom. No snacks, food or drinks in your room except water. That and it's location is the downside to it, but tolerable. The people there at the hope lodge are willing to take you to get groceries, or prescriptions or what not. There is a McDonalds, and a cafe style place called Picadilly (?) and Dot's Diner within walking distance. Nothing much but I wasn't too hungry really. Drank lots of water, got soup and sandwich stuff.The hope lodge is not closeto the french quarter or anything really. Not walking distance anyway. They do have lots of books, games movies, and puzzles and computers in the library there. The center is on the main st charles street car line. So the day of my pre-op we were able to hop on and do some site seeing! 

Make sure you take something with you such as a laxative, just incase. I've never had that problem before til this surgery and had to have the center people take me to Walgreens for drugs lol!!

Can't wait to meet you, you'll do great I'm sure! Yes there will be pain, but they are on top of it with the meds and just make sure to walk and drink water! I didn't experience much pain for the most part.

Hope that helps :)

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

dbdaze,

As with the whole BC thing this too will be a journey.  I am 5weeks out from Stage 1 and even though I still have some discomfort I already have beautiful looking breast.  Just remember that it is one day at a time.  These doctor's are the best.

Springtime, I am scheduled for Stage 2 with Dr. D on Dec. 20th. Should be another interesting Christmas at our home. lol!

• Better-Body-Babe
    Better-Body-Babe Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2010

Hi Brenaclee3-- I agree with jeskachi about checking our Drs. Kline and Craigie in Charleston.  They perrformed my reconstruction and are magnificent as well as compassionate.  I sent you a Private Message to give you some info on additional care that might be available. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I think someone asked, so I also wanted to add that yes sadly I had stretch marks on my stomach, that are now on my breasts!!! LOL The skin tone is different too, but I am sure it will settle down over time, and who see's that part anyway!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Just4ann, there are many of us who have expressed interest in a bit of work on our faces, but so far, I have not heard of anyone actually having that done.  I talked to Dr. Sullivan's wife (she's a plastic surgeon) several months ago about possibly having an eyelid lift during what I planned to be my last revision (last week) and she took a look at me and said that I really wasn't ready for anything more than some Botox.  Another patient inquired but was not encouraged to pursue it, so although I'm sure they get a lot of requests, it's not something they are doing right now.  Dr. D answered a question about the difference in skin color on his board recently and said it eventually evens out, but the hair still would need removal.  If it's light, laser wouldn't work.  I guess you'll have to ask Dr. S about removing the skin patches.  I had mine removed, but they were circular patches, not the football shape.  It took three surgeries and left a pucker at the top of one areola that I just now after a couple of years am finally rid of.  It looked like a second nipple under clothes and I am so, so glad it's gone!!!  I think we get such great results from the breast and ab work that it's only natural we want to ask for other things to be fixed, so don't feel bad-- go ahead and ask about it.  With enough requests, maybe it will eventually be something else they'll offer.  :-)

Pam, good to hear from you!   We had a two hour gap after checkout, so we checked our luggage and took a walk.

dbdaze, congrats on your upcoming surgery!  Button up shirts are easy, and I found that stretchy ribbed tanks or loose tees were no problem, under a hoodie to hide drains when going outside. Your plans for sweats are right on, and I took jersey pajama pants/tops too for indoors.  Hope Lodge offers some transportation, but there aren't a lot of places to eat in the area.  We stopped at a grocery store and bought stuff that was easy to prepare and eat in for most of our meals.  One nice thing about the lodge is that there will be people around to chat with, especially during meals. Slip on shoes are great.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Daze, I can't count I guess! :)  It is normal to be nervous. The closer it gets, the more I wanted it over with. You are in the best of hands. really!!

Melinda, I added your Dec surgery to the list, I will be there then! I will come visit you the next day, I have my tattoo on the 21st so will be at the Center! :) 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Ok, flew in last night.  At the Hope Lodge.  Anyone else here? If you are, PM me because my computer is being finiky andI am having to check my messages on the Lodge computer, but I get a notification on my phone if I get a PM.  I have preop today.  Meeting with Sandy at 1:30, and Dr. D is not till 3:30, so unless they get that moved up, I;ll have time to see if anyone has their "sign" on their door at the hospital.  So happy for those that are done, and best wishes to those there now!  Anxious to see what all Dr. D wants to do to me tomorrow.  LOL  THAT sounded funny!  Glad everyone on here knows what I mean....hehe

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2010

Melindastn, my stage 2 is the day after yours!

DBdaze, I agree with the other comments about clothes. I brought WAY too much.  I brought several pairs of loose soft pajamas to wear in the hotel and did need all those of those.  Otherwise I think I wore one or two outfits therest of the trip. I was there in August so wore knit type skirts instead of yoga pants, but I would say yoga pants are just the thing for this time of year.  I brought button down shirts but had no trouble pulling shirts oever my head, so wore those instead.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Also Dbdaze, there is a washer and dryer at the hope lodge with soap provided so if you just bring a few things you or your companion can wash them for you if need be in order to pack lighter. I also did bring a pair of cute pj's and put them on in the hospital, it was kind of nice to have my own clothes after my shower. They were cotton and did have a button up shirt ( don't think that was necessary though) just a thought!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2010

I have a flying question.  The nurse I had said not to wear the dom outfit on the plane.  Just to wear the ted hose.  Did others do that?  We have to leave the hotel at 2 (latest they will let us stay) for a 5:30 flight & will not get home until Midnight.  That is a long time to go without it & I know it also helps with the pain.  Which I have plenty of.

So what do I do?

• dbdaze
    edited November 2010

Okay guys I just received a note from Liz:

The procedure they have me scheduled for is Left Breast Reconstruction with abdominal free flap and for the right breast, to add to that breast to increase volume by adding a flap of tissue.  I am not scheduled for a right sided mastectomy unless I would prefer that.

I never even considered getting rid of my "good" breast -- is that common.  Why would I choose that?  Benefits?  is the recovery any different?  is the surgery any longer?  

I had a mastectomy (left sided) in February, needed nothing further.  In considering reconstruction I only knew I wanted the DIEP flap so my two boobs could grow old together.

Can someone help me make sense of this message?  Liz is busy seeing patients so I'm waiting for a call back.

• dbdaze
    edited November 2010

Whoops, I should add that I did ask to increase my lovely little A cup to a B -- so thus the reason for the increase in volume for the right.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Well I can only say for myself, but I had both removed because I was BRCA1+. So it was the best for me to remove both. I am glad I did, because I wouldn't want to try and match size and shape to the natural breast, plus the skin tone and texture I think would be different. However I know there are lots of ladies here that have done just 1. Is there a family histroy, have they done genetics testing on you? If they are already increasing your one and adding a flap to it, I'd say go for it, but that's just me, and I don't think the recovery would be much different at all. I believe your stomach incision would be the same as well either way?

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Daze - I had both removed because my cancer was not detected by mammogram or ultrasound,I had a clear mammogram in May and in July I was diagnosed with a huge tumor that had been there for years!  I didn't want to have any breast tissue left (as little as possible) given it was so difficult to manage and "did not lend itself to diagnostic imaging". This is a totally personal decision, to do one boob or two. From managing this list, I would say the majority of women go bilateral, at least that is my take. Trisha has a T-shirt that says, "Hell yeah they're fake, my real ones tried to kill me!". So there is this sentiment out there! For my perspective, there would be no difference in surgery, they'll throw away the fat they can't use. The advantage of having it removed is that you would have more peace of mind, maybe. Very personal! Good luck deciding. I no longer do mammograms, personally. There seems to be different views on this as well.

Pam, I have NEVER heard of taking off the DOM for a flight. Your post op instructions from the center say to wear it 24/7 for 2 weeks, then during the day for the third week (and you can take it off at night, at least, this is what Jeanine said to me this time in my appointment!)  I think it would give you some protection to wear the DOM. I don't like that idea, not wearing it on the plane. I would not do it!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

I can't wait to get to meet you guys.  My surgery is scheduled for noon.  I wish it were earlier.  I can't imagine going without food that long or coffee.  I have an appointment with Dr. D at 9:00am so maybe it will all go quickly.

• Gin52
    edited November 2010

Well I got to meet miss journey today.  She is awesome and looks great!  I think KC was still in surgery.  I didn't get to see Dr D for my preop, so wont find out till in the am exactly what he is doing, but I trust him, so will go with whatever he suggests.  I had a call from my Anthem/Blue Cross Caseworker before I left home, and she was praising the girls at the Breast Center, which I thought was unusual coming from an insurance person!  I told the girls and want to remember to tell Dr D.  Another sign of what a great group we are going to!  Gonna be a long night...and surgery is not till 11 so I will be grumpy without my coffee AND hungry! lol

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Got my flight info, I asked for morning flight, we leave here at 6:00am on the 16th!! That's early alright :) LOL

• Gin52
    edited November 2010

Daze - I am also one who chose bi-lateral.  This was my 2nd BC diagnosis, and even though it was in the same breast as the 1st one - it was the last straw for me.  Just did not want to go through this again.  It is a very personal choice, and you just need to weigh your options carefully. They are both good choices, so feel good about whatever you decide!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2010

To those of you with later-in-the-a.m.-or-p.m. surgery, I feel your pain! Be sure to eat well and drink well the nite before. And be prepared for it possibly being delayed even later. But soon you'll be on the other side with all the ice chips you can handle!

Now that I am home from NOLA, I am not feeling too great. Headache. Fatigue. Feeling just generally down. I always rise to the occasion when in New Orleans, then crash once I get home. I'm going to try to get to sleep early tonite.

• Dagroz13
    Dagroz13 Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2010

I will add my thoughts on bilateral.  I was diagnosed with both DCIS and LCIS in my left breast. My local surgeon and the surgeon at Sloan Kettering recommended I have a lumpectomy.  After considerable research and soul searching I chose to have bilateral.  I have (had) very small very dense breasts and did not want to have the constant worry of having the black halo of BC hanging over my head.  It really is an extremely personal decision. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

you will appreciate blousy,non-tight tops.

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

DB-I had a bilateral for a few reasons.  1. because my cancer did not show up on a mastectomy nor an u ltra soud, but only on tht MRI.  2. because I didnt want anymore surprises. 3.because once you go diep there is no more abdominal tissue for a "next time".  they use the same incision/area for one flqp or two.If you had a 2nd dx, you could use tissue from you behind,so  you would still have recon options.  4. afterward i was even more glad I did it when my path report came back with suspicious cells, although they were not cancerous (yet).  This was where my heart settled best.  You do need to do some soul searchingbecause you want to be true to your own self.  The right answer is defferent for everyone.

I am writing while under the infuence of morphine - what a weird experience! 

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

I am in 208.  I cant see any of Dr S's work since I am in the Dom.  They have seriuosly bumped up their pre-op and post op care for lymphedema  -  hooray!!!  Now I can really say they ARE the best! 

• dbdaze
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly:  My surgery is scheduled for the morning of the 16th and we leave the 24th.  Glad to hear you'll be at the Hope Lodge too!  Can't wait to meet you in person. Staying at a hotel in the French Quarters sounds divine but with the expense of the flight and out-of-state medical bill, I wouldn't have been able to come to NOLA if it wasn't for the free lodging.  I was wondering if they would have wi-fi -- knowing they do, I'll be sure to drag my computer along.

Melindastn: Really nice to hear you're already feeling pleased with the look of your new breasts at only 5 weeks out !!

Thanks to all who responded to my question on clothing.  Sure sounds like lounge/pj/sweat pants are the way to go.  That actually sounds extremely comfy.

In regards to the unexpected mastectomy:  I decided to go for it.  I appreciate those of you who shared your own personal decisions and thoughts.  Reducing the possibility of a reoccurrence of BC outweighs any and all cons.  I must say that it does sadden me that I won't have any feeling in either nipple but I also know that I can leave with it (or I guess I should say withOUT it!)

Gin52: Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.  Doesn't look as if our paths are due to cross this time but I'll be thinking of you. 

Dejaboo: Help me out here -- what's a  "dom outfit?" 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I was there in Sept and i loved the PT lady for lE, she was amazing!!!

For those of you with LE, at what point do they do a sleeve? I'm losing insurance next month and wondered if I should ask for one just to have? I've never needed one but it just seems to be bad in my upper arm.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Dragonfly - You should have one for flying. Ask them to order you one before your next flight - especially if your upper arm is starting to feel heavy and swell - that is where mine started!

DB - I am in the NW also - you will love everyone at the center and I really do believe you are making such a great decision! As for me - initially I opted to have a unilateral mastectomy - fulling intended to keep my L breast for breast feeding when I had another child. BRCA scores had come back negative despite a strong family hx. Well, that all changed when my sister was diagnosed w/breast cancer 363 days after I was. Then I was always in a panic - worried that every lump was cancer. And by then I had developed LE in my arm. I decided I could live without a breast but if I ended up with cancer and LE in the OTHER arm it would do me in - I had it removed a little over a year after the first one. It made me really sad when I got pregnant a few months later and realized that I would never be able to breast feed again, especially when I was forced to quit when my first child was 3 months because of the cancer. But you know, I eventually got over it and you would never know that my girl hadn't been breast fed (unless there is some theory out there that formula fed babies have a tendency to be more fiesty!). Besides that, I had some very good friends who did not think I was weird at all for asking them to pump extra and freeze it so that my girl could have even a few weeks worth of breast milk. It all worked out in the end. Like everyone else said - this decision is very personal and you are the only one that can make it and I think you said you decided to go through with bilateral. Just remember, everything will be alright.

Okay, trying to schedule a stage 2b to even up the girls and take care of that umbilical hernia - along with plication to help make sure that sucker doesn't open up again. Taking the plunge. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that my insurance pulls through. The Center said it was sounding like this is going to be a hard pre-auth. Fingers crossed!

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

KC, I was just in 208!! Good room! :) Enjoy.

Nordy, I had never heard your story before, that is something to overcome, the whole breastfeeding thing. And good for you for asking your gf's for some extra milk! We women need to stick together!

Daze, my goodness. That decision was made quite nicely, without all the torture I caused myself! It's a journey, isn't it? This whole thing...