Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

dbdaze - the center is right on the st charles line. So when you're done with your post-op just go out and hop on it to go to the french quarter and stuff. I booked my Grandma and I the city/cemetery tour on Wednesday and asked the man what some good places to eat are. This is what he said:

As for great lunch spots there are a million but for truly a New Orleans experience you can go to "Mother's" on Poydras Street or a block a way on Poydras that is quick and easy is "Lil Dizzy's"... or you can go upscale and go to the"Place Cafe" on Canal Street or just a few blocks in to the French Quarter is "Mr. B's". 

Hope this helps, see you next week :)

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2010

Thanks for giving me some feedback on other "drug" side effects. It's nice to know it's not just me.

Everyone at the Center is wonderful as usual. I am now on Tylenol and Ibuprofen. They also told me I could go to Spanx. Woo, hoo! The seams on the DOM are painful on my thick thighs.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I'm nervous about this "DOM" outfit :) I wanted to buy a marena or spanx thing to have at home for after, but am kind of waiting to see what I need and want, so I don't waste $.

I know the vicodin they gave me there made me itch like crazy!! I've always been fine with vicodin before. So they switched me to percoset, and said 1 pill every 4-6 hours, 1 pill did nothing! Good thing after just a few days of those I didn't need them anymore. Someone suggested demoral or darvocet this time?? (I'm sure I didn't spell them right)

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2010

Anne - I am so very sorry you are in such pain!  I hope relief will be soon.

Since I was just there in NOLA I wanted to share that Zia's which is just a block or two from the hospital is wonderful.  I think I had my best lunch there.  There is a Houston's and don't forget that you are just a few blocks away from the Captian's Palace.  All that in the garden district.  The French Qtr is a whole 'nother ball game and vibe.  It's all in what you enjoy.  The St. Charles trolley is a short ride from one world to another.

For those of you in pain and on narcotics I feel for you!  I HATE drugs and have been very fortunate this time to keep my medication in line.  I hope you find the right combo very soon!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

What is Captians Place? Does anyone have tips for eating near the hope lodge. I know there is Dots and Picadilly, but what about a short cab ride away or something? We have 3 or 4 nights there after stage 2 and I was hoping to be able to get out IF I'm up to it?

• journey
    edited November 2010

sorry - my bad - it's Commander's Palace!

http://www.commanderspalace.com/about_us/

It is near the hospital so if you wanted to do that the day of your pre-op it would work.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

dbdaze - do you have only one day to "do" New Orleans?  I am not remembering where you are staying post-Stage 1 for recuperation? My suggestion would be to visit the French Quarter prior to surgery, while you are able to walk fast and you do need the pre-op exercise anyway. It is the heart of the original city, if you like history and old architecture. I prefer being there before dark, but it is well patrolled after hours if you have no choice.  An odd element comes out the later you are there.  You can pull up a self-guided walking tour online.  Also, for $40-60 you can take a carriage ride around the entire area, with the personal narration for the driver.  That's about 45 min-1 hour and covers a lot of the area in a short time.  I highly recommend doing this once, if possible. You'll see spots you'd not see on your walking tour. We've been there 3 times now and always do at least one day down in the Quarter.  We usually visit Cafe DuMonde, which has beignets and coffee for a treat.  Down Decatur 2 blocks from there is a casual outdoor cafe, The Market Cafe, a local institution, which has a live jazz band every day from 10am- about 10 pm, which serves the New Orleans traditional foods, such as jamabalaya, red beans and rice, gumbo, muffalettas (huge sandwiches) and sweet iced tea.  Their prices are about $10 per meal and are quite good, but casual.  Of course, there is upscale dining which is all terrrific. I love eating outdoor with music. Next door to this cafe is a candy shop which makes a variety of pralines which you can sample - very yummy!

I adore the Garden District - an enormous area filled with block after block of beautifully maintinaed antebellum and reconstruction era grand homes - I think it goes for a couple miles.  There is also an online self-guided tour of this area.  The Center is located on the edge of this area.  The first time there, we stayed in this general area post-op, so we slowly strolled a few blocks of the walking tour each day.  If you do the walking tour all at once, it's quite long and would be too exhausting post-Stage 1.  Remember, you can do these things at Stage 2, as well.  And, if you don't want to walk, a cab can do a bit of driving for you, which may be worth the $20.

In our 3 times there, we had only one high-end dinner - our final celebratory dinner last week - and chose K-Pauls, which is Paul Prudhomme's French Quarter location.  Quite good.

One really fun thing we did at Stage 2, when we arrived a couple days early  - we took a cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking.  They tend to cook lunch, so you show up late morning, watch an entertaining cook describe their foods and their roots, then finish it off with eating that gumbo and jambalaya for lunch (small portions), now knowing what an andouille sausage is.  It was definitely a highlight for both of us. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

AnneW, I have removed you for now. I am sorry you are in such pain! I hope it can be figured out pronto. Just let me know when you get rescheduled....

I am doing okay, but back/hips are sore still. Better every day... I think tomorrow ends my "only lift 10 pounds for the first 2 weeks" so I better get my butt back into the Gym -- start up slowly again... sigh.   

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2010

Wow these pages really fill up fast!  I'm so glad we have each other for encouragement & venting.

KC: Before stage 1 I had much swelling & reddness (no heat though) on the effected breast.  My local dr said it was lymphedema.  I can't remember which NOLA doc said he didn't agree, that maybe it was skin lymphedema. Everything went back to normal after stage 1 with very occasional redness. For the last couple of weeks, I have noticed the redness back (only occasionally). So I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this.  If it persists, I'll send pics to the Center.  I have just never heard of skin lymphedema before the NOLA docs mentioned it.  How can you have lymphedema in your skin?

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2010

Anne:  I am so sorry you had to cancel your trip to NOLA & that you are in so much pain. That is awful!  I hope you get some relief soon.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

Wow, what a busy thread! 

I've been reading all the discussion about lipo with much interest since I'm having stage 2 next month.  I'm curious to hear about others experience with lipo in the "saddlebag" area. I have always had a lot of fat there, no matter what my weight is, and I am SO hoping that lipo will do some good.

Someone recently advised just doing whatever our wonderful drs suggest and that sounds good to me.  I do wonder about the plication thing though and am trying to think about it some now. For those that had it and are pleased with the results, could you feel a separation in your abdominal muscles before plication? Is there a big difference in how flat your belly is now as compared to before? Mine was really flat following my DIEP, though as things have loosened up it pokes out just a teeny bit. 

And what makes the recovery so hard? I have found it really hard to get back into ab strengthening exercises. Those muscles feel weak and tender and get really sore following even gentle ab exercises. I'm 11 weeks post DIEP now so maybe just need to give it more time, but I'm wondering how much worse this might be after plication. I really need to keep those muscles strong to prevent back pain.

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Amy, I had a lot of lipo on saddlebags and it is a huge difference - I have DIEP & GAP, so my butt was really flat/smaller, and he felt he needed to "hit me really hard" in the saddlebag area to have everything be consistent. I hurt like crazy for 3-5 days, then got slowly better. I love not having those bags!! 

I had plication from the navel down, and I think if I had to do it over again, I'd skip it. I am glad I had my abdominal incision lowered (things are really nice and tight in terms of skin) but the plication took me 5-6 months to "get over". I had a pooch there (it was flatter there before! could not wear clothes, etc). After 6 months things settled down, but it was sore and swollen for a long time, and I felt very physically compromised, and I was so sick of that, and I complained!. The muscles feel very "tight" in my lower tummy now, and though no longer "sore", the feel a bit odd. Dr. D. said it may take 18 months for things to settle down, I'n about 12 months out in a few weeks. It was a big recovery for me and my belly did not stick out that much to begin with. I think if I had to do over I would skip. But who knows, I have been a sort of "go for it" person with all this. I would depend on the docs to tell you if you can benefit from it, or not.  

Other ladies here have had plication and maybe they will chime in with additional stories. Hope this helps.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

Frown... Just got word from Celeste that there is no space in Dr. S's schedule for some revisions before the end of the year. Very sad, but I may end up having to skip as our insurance is really going down hill in January. Now will have to check and see what my out of pocket will be for next year. I am so bummed.

As far as plication - I wish I had had it. I have about a 1 - 1 1/2 finger width of separation above my belly button from pregnancy (rectus diastasis). When I do any kind of abdominal work it "tents" up even when working hard to keep my navel toward my spine. If I had had it repaired at my stage 2 when it was offered, I honestly do not think I would be having a recurrance of this umbilical hernia. I wish I could rewind and listen to my husband, Dr. S and my gut instead of being such cautious person!

Anne - I hope you got your MRI today and have some answers regarding your pain! Did you have some kind of trauma/fall that preceded all this pain? I forgot to ask before. 

Dbdaze - check w/your doc on the arnica - I know it is used a lot after stage 2. I am not sure about stage 1 where the health of the flaps is the main priority. Please, please, check with them before you start taking ANYTHING. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

My stage 2 is the 18th, so I should start taking the arnic Monday, right?

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly:  Checked with the Center about taking arnica and got this reply from Laura Frese, physician assistant:

"We do recommend arnica for swelling and bruising.  We typically recommend the pellets to take by mouth.  There are many different ways to take it.  Our package says to take it 2 days prior to surgery, taking 5 pellets 3 times a day.  After surgery you take 5 pellets 3 x a day for as long as necessary." 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I'm going to need to pick some more up on the way to the airport!! :) Thanks!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2010

dbdaze~my parents are from Everson...well my mom is from Lynden. 

I didn't do the plication and dont' regret it.  I don't have the same issue that Nordy does though.  I didn't want to the additional recovery time, and I'm pretty curvy naturally, so I didn't have the boxy feel or look that some women complain about after DIEP.

It's so important to remember that it TAKES 6 TO 12 MONTHS TO SEE THE EFFECTS OF LIPO!!! And you can actually be BIGGER the first 3-6 months!  I don't know if the Liz isn't going over that extensively with patients anymore of if people are just not hearing her.  I did a lot of reading on lipo before hand as well, so I was prepared for lots of swelling and not an immediate result.  I had my dog ears and fat under the armpit area excised, so I did notice a difference, but it was from that as well since he actually cut off the fat.  

Like Anne and Sandy, for me the lipo was a gift and I took it and RAN.  Literally.  I joined a Biggest Loser contest 3 weeks out of stage 2.  I've lost 32 lbs since my stage 2 surgery.  I just trained to teach a cardio fitness dance class.  I LOVE my body now.  Even with my 8 feet of keloid and hypertrophic scars.  Is it perfect...not by a long shot.  I have some 'muffin top' above my hip incisions where he excised the dog ears that could be evened up.  My left breast has a little less volume than the right one and has a little hollow area at the top from a cyst removal this spring.  But it is minute to me.  After 16 years of misery and hating how I looked...I feel like a freaking SUPER MODEL!!!   

Sometimes we are our won worst critics.  And if you aren't happy and want more revisions, call the Center.  They want their paitents to feel whole and complete and wonderful again.  

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2010

Just wanted to say thank you all for sharing your stories.  It really helps prepare me for what is coming up.  My surgery is Dec. 14, (GAP).   I am trying to get my house in order.  Will I be able to walk up and down stairs to my bedroom when I get home?  Perhaps a recliner in the living area would be best, might make it easier for my family to help me.  Perhaps a different mattress might help with sleeping?

As I read from this forum I realize we are all one big family.  Sharing our inner most feelings with one another helps us sort through all this.  I really don't feel comfortable talking with my family / friends about this, but I do feel comfortable with you all.  You really understand and I really seem to get where you are coming from.  As I read your stories I feel like I am right there with you, sharing your pain, frustration, joy and happiness.   

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

lciscarroll, I had the DIEP and the GAP.  I felt the GAP incisions were the easiest for me to deal with.  Lots of little pillows to arrange in that area really helped.  My sister had brought along her neck pillow from Brookstone and that seems to work the best for me.  I could arrange it a lot of different ways.  Needless to say she did not want it back.lol!!  Pillows for under your legs are also really helpful.  I did walk upstairs after I got home but not on a daily basis.  Recliner and couch were my best sleeping places.  I still find myself on the couch some nights.  Seems my little rear likes the crack in the cushions.

Hope this helps. 

Melinda

• journey
    edited November 2010

lclscarroll - I am typing this 10 days post op SGap.  My nice comfy leather sofa is not so comfy now. Just not enough support for me.  I have a firm chair with low ottoman which I have taken to sitting in during the day with a small pillow in back.  As for sleeping before I left I purchased a $10 egg crate twin size topper to cover my area of our king bed.  Then made up with my most comfy sheets.  When I returned I added just about every pillow in the house and made a very nice nest.  You'll experiment and find what works for you.  Right now it's not my butt incisions that bother me but my left hip drain.  My day seems centered on keeping that side comfortable.  That being said - I don't have any issues walking up and down our stairs, but keep it at a minimum just due to energy level right now.  You'll do fine!

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2010

dbdaze....hope everything goes great for you and I am sure it will. NOLA doctors and staff are the BEST. My husband and family told me that I came out of recovery after Step 1 with a smile on my face and I am sure I did. I was and still am so proud of my new boobs. Going almost two years with just ugly scars across my chest was not good times. I was so ready for my surgery and I am so thankful that I had it done. Didn't mean to discourage anyone about my little disappointments because they are small compared to how happy I am at having breast again. God Bless to all of us and pray we can have many years to brag about our new breast!

• chimama05
    edited November 2010

Hi lciscarroll....hope all goes well with your surgery. I had step 1 diep flap May 20th and Step 2 August 26th and will go for my tatooing next Tuesday. When I came home from the hospital after Step 1, I was in a recliner most of the time but was able to sleep in my bed propped up on pillows. It was hard for me since I am used to sleeping on my side but I managed. I think it took about 3 weeks before I gently started sleeping on my side with a pillow wedge. Be sure to take your walks through the house several times a day but no lifting!!!!! Step 2, (I think) was rougher on my old body with the extra lipo. I stayed so sore for weeks! I started back walking about a mile a day after week 4 of step 2 and I am still walking. In fact, I walked in a 5 mile breast cancer walk just 2 weeks ago and was so happy with myself. Good Luck!

• chimama05
    edited November 2010

Trishia....thanks for the pep talk!!! I am so happy that I have my new breast and I love them. I have several of my friends and family waiting until after I get them tatooed for me to have a revealing party. I have noticed a big difference since I had the extra lipo done but I guess I was just expecting more but I did not mean to discourage anyone. I thought this discussion board was for us to express our feelings and vent a little. I am 59 years old so I guess my old body is saying "hey, you are not a spring chicken" so I will just hush and be happy with what I have since it is 100 times better than what I had before surgery! God Bless to All!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2010

Well Nordy that just STINKS that they can't find an opening for you.  Did you explain about your new deductible ??  I hope they find an opening so you don't have to deal with you new OP. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I had my stage 1 DIEP in September, and slept in the chair in our room at the hope lodge after surgery. Then coming home I slept in my recliner for a few nights, it was most comfortable for sure. I was so nervous about being in my bed. I am a stomach/side sleeper, so I was afraid I'd roll over. Like the others have said lots and lots of pillows! I had 3 or 4 under me and one on each side to try and keep from rolling over. I also have the 4" memory foam mattress topper on my bed. It's now been almost 2 months, and I sleep in my bed most nights but if I have trouble sleeping I resort back to my recliner. Also my bedroom is upstairs and they were no problem for me. Dr S just said take it slow and pay attention, going up and down them isn't the problem, its if you were to fall that you could really have problems.

Good luck to you!! 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

Chimama05:  No apologies are needed for sharing your personal thoughts and experiences. It helps me to know the "complete" picture.  And as for your age, my "spring chicken" days are over too!  LOL  Don't we all envision the "perfect" image, hoping surgery can somehow shift, rid and provide areas that are less than perfect.  

Nervousness is starting to sink in as my surgery day approaches.  Thank you SO much for your good wishes.  Knowing that all you wonderful "sisters" are there to listen, sympathize, encourage and celebrate helps tremendously.  I honestly feel this is a "safe" place, where ALL feelings are respected and each and everyone of us can feel embraced and loved, even when we are discouraged or disappointed.  My sincere thanks to you and others who take the time to share your experiences. Hugs

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Sorry Nordy. Maybe if you keep in touch, there will be a cancellation and they'll call you? Is your insurance all squared away and approved already for this year?

My Stage 2 Marena garment came today. wonderful. Just. wonderful.  I also got a compression bra for top. Mostly because I thought it would be good to drain the LE that's in my trunk!!! I am wearing them both now...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Springtime, I'd like to hear more about the bra you got. I have the LE in the same areas I think you do and I'm trying to figure out how to keep it down under my arm.

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

I got this one in black, directly from the Marina company, but I read the reviews on amazon, several women thought it rocked. It's is very tight!

marena bra 

http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Elastic-Certified-Compression-Garment/dp/B0017VX6E8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1289589699&sr=8-2

It goes high up under my arm and gives good coverage around my back and side. The one you PM'd to me, Dragon, may be okay too. Given the low ebay price, I would get it if I was you...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Do you plan on wearing it all the time, or just like at night? Funny how after all this it's for comfort, for me anyway, the sexy bras don't do this!!! lol