Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2010

The Marena bras tend to run small in the cup. Even though they stretch, if you don't have enough coverage you won't get support. If you're a bigger cup size (DD+) this one is more likely to fit:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-137-molded-cup-reconstruction-bra.aspx

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2010

Chimama05, by all means vent away!  That's what this board is for!  But I hate seeing women be so critical on themselves and being disappointed when it's less than 6 months after lipo.  It's important to not set the expectations of it so high right off the bat.  It is SO different for every person and we have to give our bodies times to head and adjust.  Liz sat me down and really reiterated that you can have swelling for 3 full months from lipo and not gauge the results until a full 6 months after.  I'm sure she did that so that people wouldn't be disappointed. 

So I just wanted all the gals coming up on their stage 2's to not expect dramatic results right away.  It is a process of healing and some of us bounce back quicker than others.  

I just had a hysterectomy on 9/1 (da vinci robot) and am STILL getting the ab swelling at night or after I work out.  I had finally stopped swelling form the DIEP right before the surgery.  But I know what it's from and know that it is just going to take time and gentle core work to get my core muscles back into shape.  TOT~Tincture of Time.  This process has taught me more about patience than I ever wanted to know!  LOL!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Jescachi, thanks for the link to that bra. The one I have (pictured above) is *really* tight. I am not yet sure I am going to keep it. I wore it for a few hours and when I took it off, I had deep creases in by boobies! (lower center, from the "gathering" of the material). 

Dragon, I was thinking of wearing it when I fly on plane or get heart rate really up.  or when I get a flare up. We'll see.  

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2010

Wow, I am constantly amazed at how active this board is.  But I think it is wonderful because that just means there are lots of women getting the information they need.  I have wished a hundred times I knew about NOLA before I had my mastectomy.  I could be through now.  But I am not complaining.  Better late than never, right.

I am so excited to move on to the stage 2.  I am like Trisha in that I  too have battled my size for my whole life -- well, since 8th grade.  So I have no where to go but up with my self esteem.  I will be thrilled with whatever the great doctors deem appropriate.  

I wanted to share some news I got today.  I have posted on here before about my family history, 8 aunts with breast cancer, two uncles with colon cancer, an uncle with brain cancer and on and on.  I have four siblings -- two brothers and two sisters.  Both brothers have cancer -- colon and prostate-- and my older sister just recently diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer.  My baby sister has yet to be diagnosed with any type of the devil disease but she has had numerous lumps removed from both breasts as well as from her ovaries only to have them return time and time again.  She has been wanting a prophalatic  (sp) mastectomy and hysterectomy but has been getting the run around for over a year now.  Since none of us have the BRCA gene she wasn't considered high enough risk.  She sent her medical records to NOLA along with a letter explaining our family history and her desire to be proactive with her health. She explained why she was unable to get a doctor's referral which they typically require and asked if they would possibly consider her as a candidate anyway.  They have agreed to take her on.  Her surgery will take place sometime in January.   I am so happy for her!  I continue to be blown away by the kindness and compassion shown by everyone associated with the Center.  We are all so very blessed to have them in our lives.  

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2010

Ann that is AWESOME!!!  What a relief for your sister!  I am so so so thrilled for her! 

Have you guys been tested for Li Fraumeni (the p53 mutation)?  That's the genetic disorder my son and I have.  If you were negative for BRCA, you may be positive for LFS or even CHEK2.  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2010

Ladies, reading this site always makes me feel so wonderful, and it is just what I needed after the week I have had. First my car got hit by a City Firetruck ( and not the little EMS one , but the big ladder truck) On the good side I was not in the car, but up 2 floors at work. Then I call the number for the city traffic department and she says oh you need to talk to the law dept. Nobody in at the law department til monday and then the lady says well we will need to determine who was at fault. Last I checked my car did not have a heartbeat and I was 2 floors up, now I am not a rocket scientist but I am guessing it was the driver of the fire truck. THen for my health, my back is KILLING me and I am not sure if it is from the Lipo or something different. It hurts more after I have sat a while and I am a 411 operator so I do sit most of my work day. Then today I have got this stabbing pain in my  belly button area. I looked in it with a flash light and there was this crusty looking bloody stuff. I made an appointment with the PA at my family doctors because I am still taking Norco for this back and it does not seem to help. Any suggestions, Nordy do you think I need PT to strengthen the muscles? Laura had mentioned that about 6 weeks ago. I wish Dr D had seen me last week in stead of Laura, Open for suggestions ladies??

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Hi Sally!  First, thank God you were not in your car!  I'm sure the city will find that they are liable, but it's amazing how everything seems to turn into such a headache!  I was discussing this with someone the other day....everything just seems to turn into another problem and nothing is easy these days.   I think anything we do to strengthen our core muscles is important to protect our spine and our posture in our later years.  For my back problems (I have moderate scoliosis and chronic pain), I did some specialized training with a PT a couple of months ago, and then  completed a series of deep tissue massages with a fantastic chiropractor a day before I left for NOLA.  I also plan to try a special type of pilates, and then I'll stick with whatever helps my back feel the best. I've been working with a private trainer for nearly a year and have not experienced any attacks of pain as she has helped me get stronger and improve my posture, along with losing weight.

Ann, I agree that the news about your sister is wonderful, and she will be a previvor!! Your family sounds like mine, and I think we have a mutation not discovered yet. My sister had a consult with Dr. D for prophylactic BM, and I'm hoping that she will avoid being diagnosed with cancer.  I did not know that the Center requires a doctor referral!

When I woke up from surgery two weeks ago, my head was cradled in what felt like a couple of piece of foam.  Eventually I decided that I'd prefer a pillow, and my husband removed what looks like a big foam football mask from the bed.   I realized that it had been used when I was face down during surgery, as it has room for our eyes, nose and mouth, to avoid pressure on them. DH apparently stuck it in my bag of sterile supplies and it is now here at home with me---I could have used it for a really cool Halloween mask!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Hi Girls,

Just checking in - one week out from Stage 2 and VERY sore and swollen.  Yesterday and today I got out and went to lunch with my daughter.  Today we went to a new store and walked around a bit.  My one drain is down from the moving around, but after the exercise, my legs swell so bad that the skin feels so tight, I had to lay down for a bit and elevate my legs. Vicious circle - need to exercise to reduce swelling, and need to lay down to reduce the swelling from moving around! lol   <sigh>  I know it will settle down. ,,,Arnica - I actually asked Dr D about it on his "ask the dr site"  I didnt take the bromelain cause he said it can act as a mild blood thinner, and I don't feel I need anything causing more brusing, but what do you girls think about starting it now that I am one week out?

Dom outfit - just a small "IMHO" - I was concerned about having a problem with getting stuff on the dom when I have a bm....maybe that is just me, but my daughter is being my caretaker, but cannot be here 24/7, so if I got anything on the dom, I know I cant change it myself yet...  SO...I had her take what I call a "pee pad" and had her fold it over the edge on the back of the opening (so it sticks to the inside and outside of the dom where you wrap it around, to give me that bit of secure feeling when I am along...

OK, enough for tonight....tty all later....  

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2013

Man I'm scared for this DOM outfit :) lol Also, you only get the 1 from the center? What about when you need to wash it and stuff?

You sound like you're getting around pretty good for being so sore. How many drains did you have? How many do you have left? I was hoping not to go home with any but sounds like I may be out of luck!! Take care of yourself :)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

Sally - Yes. I am always pro-PT. I do think it would help you to strengthen your back muscles. It is also beneficial to really look at  your work space. Where  you sit, chair height, placement of your feet, keyboard, etc. Also posture and proper body mechanics and keeping a neutral spine in sitting are key. Is your stomach feeling better? PS - love the pics of the girls!

Dragonfly - I can't believe you are set for your stage 2 already! wasn't it yesterday that I met you for lunch?!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly, you get two of the garments.  I alternate washing them daily, so I always have a clean one when I get out of the shower.    You may get away with no drains depending on how much is done during surgery.

• Nordy
    edited November 2010

Also - You should get 2 outfits from the center. And don't worry - you can get them on and off yourself... but sometimes it just takes a while!

• Nordy
    edited November 2010

Hey Sandy - you and I were posting at the same time!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I know, I hope I've waited long enough. It will have been 2 months. But I am mentally ready for sure, I feel good and just want to be done! It sure went fast, I can't believe it :) We'll have to meet up again Nordy after the 1st of the year!

2 of these horrific DOM outfits, yeah!!! :) HA HA

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

Has anyone had the CT scan before stage one and then get a letter after you get home to say that a follow up is needed?  I did.  My primary care doctor ask that they send the CD of the scan which they did.  He had the radiologist here read the scan because there were some things on my liver.  He called today to tell me that they felt the liver was stable BUT something they don't like is in my uterus.  I get a sonogram on Monday.  Just 7 weeks out and I don't want them pressing on my stomach as it is very tender still.  I am scared and just can't believe after everything that I have to even think about this. 

Just needed to tell someone that can understand.  Hey, maybe I am just pregnant. lol I think it is probably cobwebs at my age.

• Nordy
    edited November 2010

Melinda - try not to worry (easier said than done for sure). I had to have follow ups from my CT scan as well - multiple cysts and a hemangioma on my liver, and a larger cyst on my kidney. I was so freaked out. I was sure I had polycystic kidney disease! I had a follow up CT and then 6 months after that a follow up ultra sound of my liver. Everything came out OK! So hang in there. They read those scans very, very carefully. And if it does turn out to be anything that you might need to be concerned about - just think how much earlier it was caught!

• just4ann
    edited November 2010

Trisha, we didn't pursue any additional genetic testing.  Insurance didn't want to pay for anything else and we didn't see the point of paying thousands of dollars ourself.  With our family history it is easy to see that odds are not in our favor.  We get hit from both sides of our family.  

Sandy I hope your sister gets good news from the Center.  I am sure  they will do everything they can too make it happen.  

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

Nordy,  Thanks for sharing that with me.  I am just not going to let this take away my well feeling that at last I am getting to enjoy.  It helps knowing others have been here and there test came out fine. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2010

Hi Sally

Sorry about your car but as others have said thank goodness you were not in it!  I have had chronic low back pain for years so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I think finding a core strenghtening/stretching routine that works for you is key.  I find sitting to be the hardest position and have used various "props" to help with that. Most of them help you maintain good posture while sitting. But I also discovered something a couple of years ago that has been really helpful. They are called Miracle Balls--small vinyl balls that you lie on in various positions to help the chronically tight muscles relax.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

I just ordered my "I was busted in New Orleans" tank top!  I normally don't wear shirts with slogans but this was WAY to good to pass up.  

http://www.advantagebridal.com/i-got-busted-in-new-orleans-rhinestone-tee-or-tank.html

Has anyone else purchased this?? 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2010

Hey Nordy, yeah!   I'm hoping that you do get a call that they've had a 5 hour surgery cancellation before the end of the year!   Maybe you could ask for volunteers..does anyone want to postpone and give Nordy their slot???

I had a dream last night that I stood up and this stubborn last drain fell to the floor in rotted pieces.  At first I was okay with that, then I realized that there was no way to pull the rest of it out!  It's holding steady around 40cc a day, so I have at least a few more days to go with it.

dbdaze, we make that shirt, it's new, and we've sold a few of them already!   I have a Charleston girl asking for one with that city on it...they are jealous!

Gin, sounds like good strategy.  I know of a gal who contracted e coli after her DIEP----not a good situation.  I'm sure it's extremely rare, but possible!  The squeezing from the girdle makes it hard to feel the normal sensations, so you can't tell by feel if all is going well. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I love ya and all Nordy, but it isn't happening :) I'm selfish like that !!! lol

My last hip drain never got below 40-45cc's a day. Finally after 2 weeks at that amount they said to pull it and just wear the big velcro girdle thing for 2 weeks. 

I love those shirts, such a great idea :) 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Sandy, most of us from Charleston surgery would like a TEAM MERMAID shirt. We can got one (and thong undies, too) from Cafe Press, but I like your better!

Anne

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2010

Anne, I think we're just going to leave the city as a fill in on the BUSTED style so they can be ordered for any city. Watch for that to be changed by tomorrow morning.    We could do something about mermaids for you in crystals.    Any suggestions or is Team Mermaid what you would want?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Thanks, Sandy, I'll ask my cohort what they'd like. You're a doll. Plus I love your work!

Anne

• just4ann
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly, I sent you a PM.. Hope it is what you have been looking for.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Hi All!, lots going on here, as usual!

So I am 2 weeks out from 2B surgery so the "you can't lift any more than 10 pounds for two weeks" is up! Saturday and Sunday we cycled, I did Yoga, and went to the gym! Very careful in the gym, I reduced the weights and reps and went slow and paid close attention. So far, so good, I think they edema is already going down...

Gin was talking about BM with the DOM. I always took my DOM off! From day 1, just could not get "comfortable" enough and I have such issues anyway with constipation, I just couldn't bear it!

Minn!!! Is it snowing like crazy  where you are??

Sandy, hang in there, that drain will dry up soon... 

Melinda, what Nordy said. Try not to worry. !!! Everyone is being super careful.... 

Trisha, did I see you post here (or in FB?) that you are now certified to teach an exercise type class?? You go girl!!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2010

My stage 2 was cancelled due to blood clots.NOLA knew about them for 2 months and said if my hematologist managed the co-ag stuff the surgery would go on (old clots are different than new clots and were from an old knee injury). 2 weeks prior to surgery was told no surgery until next year by NOLA. I totally understand why but wish they had said that from the start. Couldn't get money back for my flights (even with Katies best efforts) and my co-worker had re-arranged her work schedule twice.

Now clots are gone. Insurance is changing next year (will only pay 10%, there but cover everything here at a reasonable rate). Not sure what I will do. Need a hysterectomy too (lots of great docs around here for that) so might just have everything done locally next year. Probably wouldn't even bother with stage two but unhappy with a nipple that ended up flat. Would be nice if it matched the other. Will probably consult with some guys locally to see about fixing it. Probably not too difficult in the world of PS along with a lift. Couldn't care less about lipo, just want it all done and over with...

Meanwhile I am staying on lovenox until  the ortho guy can evaluate my knee and find the root cause of the swelling (that probably lead to the clots). I haven't ran since last Feb when I was training for a mini. Right now that is what I want to do most!! So, my guess if I do a stage 2 it will be at least summer or later. Gives me time to think about it I guess.

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2010

I just heard a very interesting radio broadcast with Dr. Susan Love.  I knew I had to share it with all of you.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/11/13/791-hormones-breast-cancer-and-bones/

Laurie

• just4ann
    edited November 2010

Ladybug, so sorry.  I know you must be terribly disappointed and frustrated.  Hope everything works out for the best.