Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2010

Kim, this just sucks. My mom got colon cancer after breast cancer. Totally different cell types, though at first they thought it was mets. Second primaries happen a lot. You got a body part, it's at risk for cancer. I had a second primary in the other breast, same body system, though, but it was a new primary.

I hope whatever treatment you have will go smoothly. And that having had breast cancer makes you a better advocate for yourself as you now go off to find thyroid cancer forums for support, too!

God, it just sucks. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Anne (who still has nerve impingement in the neck/shoulder and pretty nasty pain still, despite one epidural steroid injection as well as a Medrol Dosepak.)

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Kim - This was my second cancer in the same breast, but it was a second primary.  Totally different characteristics than the 1st one.  1st was er+/pr+ and her2-, and this one was er-/pr- and her2+++.  Hang in there lady, and keep us us to date on what is happening. We are praying for ya!

Dragon - only thing they told me was to zip up a little on each side of the dom at a time, back and forth as you put it on.  My feet were horribly swollen too.  I had some pills that my onc had previously given me for swelling, and after clearing it with the center, took one of those and it went away pretty quickly, but may have on its own if I had just waited...

Question on nips - how long before stitches come out?  Also, how long do you go wearing the bras with the "headlights" cut out?  My paperwork said to only wear the nipple protectors for a week, but how long before I should be able to wear a bra on them? Has been two weeks, and took my last drain out last Tuesday, so should be able to remove the dom early next week. Does everyone recommend wearing some kind of compressor longer??

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2013

Spring thanks for the Marena show and tell.  Looks like something I might want to look into.  I am quite short and so many of those that are suppose to come up under the breasts like the Spanx Higher Power style is too long for me and then wants to roll some.  

Attention all:  I Have all my Christmas shopping done Ladies.  With Stage II coming up in less than two weeks I wanted to be ahead of the 8 ball instead of behind.  Feels sooooo good.  Now for  wrapping. 

Anne, Hate to see you are still dealing with the pain even after the steroid shot.  Praying that it gets better soon. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

K9 - I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with more cancer crap. I always used to say, "Can't a girl just catch a break?" Its time you caught a break!

And Anne - You need to catch one too! Good heavens. Is anyone doing occipital release on you? Manual traction? Ice? Electric stim? Massage?  Hang in there!

xfit - can't wait to see your piece on Monday! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

K9Kim - I'm sorry to hear of your new cancer news.  Huge bummer!  I have Hashimoto's, which has a higher rate of thyroid cancer, so I tend to keep that in the back of my mind.  There is a yahoo group for iodine, where some feel very strongly that low iodine and thyroid cancer are correlated. It may be worthwhile to look into some of this.  Also, there is a yahoo support group for those who are thyroidless, and they have a lot to say about some of their options and their results.  You do have time to look into your options.  Maybe being able to ask those who have been there would be helpful.  Again, I'm so sorry.

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

Gin, my nipple stitches usually hung in there for 3-4 weeks, with some lasting a shade longer.

Christine/ KC 

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2010

Hello Girls :-)

I actually went out tonight for dinner and a movie with my best friend here in NOLA! It was nice to get out and escape into a movie for a little while. We saw "Due Date", it was really funny! It felt good to laugh!

It made my night to come back and see all your wonderful supportive posts. Thank you so very very much! Having you guys makes me feel like I can conquer anything!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

Kim - that's great you got to go out! It does help to stay busy at times huh. I have been wanting to see that movie, looks hilarious! Take care of yourself!

We're heading to the Marriott on Canal street for sunday and Monday night. Hoping I can get out and walk more and fresh air will help! 

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2010

Kim, I am sorry you are having to go back through yet another cancer diagnosis. But you can do this.  Just stay positive and take care of yourself.  

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

Dragon, those streetcars are convenient through there, and can take you to the far end of the French Quarter.  I mention this only because I was geared up to do a bunch of walking, and one day I miscalculated how far I had gone and over extended.  After that, i took the streetcar whenever possible and had enough energy to do whatever other walking I wanted to do..  Have fun!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2010

Kim - I am so sorry you're having to deal with this now, after everything you've already been thru. It absolutely stinks! I had my thyroid nuked many years back (wonder if it had anything to do with my BC). Anyway, I've been on synthroid since then and it hasn't been bad, at all. So if the thryoid has to come out, try not to worry about that part of it. I just think of it as another vitamin pill. I won't echo what the others have said about thyroid cancer, but for me, I use the it-could-be-worse philosophy a lot. ((((((((Kim)))))))))

DB - That frickin' hip drain! So sorry you're landed back in the hospital! Well if you get another chance at a hotel, I LOVE Place d'Armes. Two beautiful courtyards and breakfast included and a very inexpensive rate thru the Center. Just tell them you're a patient there. Our favorite rooms are the two on the second floor with balconies over the entrance to the hotel. It is only a block from Jackson Square and convenient to so much. You can even see Cafe du Monde from those balconies!

Anne - Sorry you are still in such pain...

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2010

Hi SandyinParadise.....I know what you mean about that lipo pain, I was told I would be sore but wow, I never thought it would be as bad as it was. Thanks for reminding me that it could take 6-9 months for all swelling to go down and see the full results. Guess I am rushing things!!! I kind of wanted to see this old body slim and trim for a change!!! LOL! Been walking a lot but have not been eating like I should so I need to make changes there too but it is so hard because my husband and I love to eat out and eat what is not good for us!!! What a shame to love something that is so bad for you! Hope you are healing well and good luck with the tatoos in January! I am healing up pretty good from that but they are getting ugly now so I guess that is normal for a couple of weeks. Happy Holidays to you!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2013

I know this has been posted before, but can you pros give your opinion of the Arnica pellets and cream.  Do they help and are they approved by the doctors?  Should it be started prior to surgery or lipo?  I think there was another product that was mentioned......started with a B - Like bromalain or something like that.  Thanks, Linda

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Linda - I talked to Dr D about the Arnica on his "Ask the Dr" site.  He said it was fine, if you want to check that out.  I really feel like it helped me, and I am known for healing "issues" and this has gone very well.  Good luck!

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

Arnica comes in 2 main strengths - 30x and 200x.  You can use either, but the 200 is stronger.  Either way, it can be started 2-3 days ahead of time, a couple dosings of 3 pellets per day.  After surgery, you bump it up to dosing every couple hours your first day or two, then weaning down.  Homeopathics are less precise, so you really can't do it "wrong".  Bromelain is suggested to be taken after surgery, not before.  Some feel it has slight blood thinning properties, so taking it afterward is better.  Thee usual dosing is 3x/day. When you buy the bottle, it will tell you what it's dose is.  As far as I could find, there are no down sides to using either of these, and I feel they both helped quite a lot.  I did not use cream, so I cannot comment personally.  I have a friend who uses arnica cream for her kids' bumps and bruises, and it does seem to help quite a bit, too.

• AnneW
    edited November 2010

Hey, Nordy, I'm getting pretty good care, PT-wise. Manual traction feels sooo good. And U/S. Ice makes me spasm worse, so heat and I are good friends. I'm seeing a physiatrist Wed for a second opinion, before I get another epidural steroid or (selective nerve root) injection. I'm wondering if it's not really cervical in origin, and perhaps a subscapular-costal impingement. In which case, a trigger point injection may benefit. Enough of me.

Linda, I'm a fan of arnica in tablet and cream form, as well as bromelain for healing up the bruises. I usually stay bruised for two weeks, just from a bump against something sharp. But even with all the lipo and bride of Frankenstein look from the first few days, that bruising was gone in less than 10 days. But I do advocate, when you can stand it, light massage to keep the lymph draining and later, harder massage to break up scar tissue if that seems to be a problem for you.

Anne

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Dr. D answered a question about Arnica and Bromelain on his board recently--click here to view. Now that I added the link, I see that Ginnie already referenced it, but I'm leaving it, redundant or not.  LOL

Hi Chimamom----I know it's hard to be patient with this stuff, especially when you're still sore.  Once the pain is gone, then you can start to forget about it and suddenly one day you'll look in the mirror and see that it was really worthwhile.  The ankle swelling gradually subsides...it helps to keep up with the walking to avoid getting really swollen ankles.  I can really feel it if I eat too much salt, so I rarely eat chips or the like, but I did have popcorn at the movies last night for the first time in probably 3-4 months...and I'm paying for it today.  

I really hate the change in the weather---I don't like being cold and don't feel motivated to get outside early in the morning and walk now.  I'm not starting back with my trainer for at least three more weeks, so I need to walk or I'll start gaining weight.  She caught me online today and asked if I'm "eating clean".   I'm doing my best, but salads and raw veggies aren't the most appetizing foods I can think of when it's cold.  Oh well, on that note, I'm heading off to bed so I can get warmed up!   Minn and Deja, be careful out there on those icy roads---I heard about all of the accidents in your area!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

Kim, My prayers are with you during this difficult time. 

Is the CNN program this moring on the regular CNN?  Don't want to miss this one.

One month till Stage 2.  I am excited to get it over but, dreading extreme pain again.  The nerves in my breast are still difficult some days.  The side with all the scar tissue can really hurt when it wants.  Hope he doesn't mess with that one much.  I get to come home on the 23rd.  Will I be able to join in any Christmas activities?

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited November 2010

Hi Ladies,

You are all such a source of comfort and are always there to answer all my questions even sometimes before I think of them! I wanted to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and let you know that I am thankful I found you all and chose our wonderful doctors because of all your wonderful advise. I hope you are all healing well and feeling good.

I am getting ready for stage 2  Dec 2 - can you tell me what they recommend for activity after surgery besides walking. I teach fitness classes and I am trying to get an idea how long I need to lay low on the aerobics and weight training. I hate taking time off from classes but don't want to complicate things.

Also, I just wanted to share with you all that I did a Party in Pink as a Zumba fundraiser for Susan G Komen that I pulled together just after my surgery end of Aug. (party was end of Oct) and I was able to raise over $1000. That felt sooooo good to be able to give back! I would love to be able to do something like that directly for the center, maybe as a scholarship type thing that could help out people who run into roadblocks with insurance or jobs or whatever. What are your thoughts to how we could pull something like this together? I know we could make a difference, just as everyone at the center has made a big difference in our lives!

I am getting ready to watch CNN- can't wait!

Sending hugs out to all you amazing ladies! Smile

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2010

I am very behind. Forgive me ...As I know I will miss many of you.

Kim, I am very sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer.  even being a good cancer to get if its cancer...Does not make it any easier right now.  Its still cancer & still has to be treated.  Not fun.

Im glad you went out & got your mind off things for awhile.

Nordy- I sure hope you can get your Insurance to listen.  with the 1st appeal!

I used the Arnica pellets & the Arnica gel.  I think they both really help with the bruising.   Maybe some with the swelling.  I cant say if they help with the pain.  LOL

With my 1st stage 2.  I had pain for 6.5 months...My thighs & back still hurt going into stage2B at 7 months :(

I am still in alot of pain from lipo this time too- I am only 3 weeks.  I expect the pain to be around for some time.  Hopefully I will be surprised & it will only last a month or 2 or 3 even would be nice.

I am still wearing the Dom outfit.  it really does help keep the pain down for me.  I tried spanx one night. But that was not good.  I dont think I slept even 2 hrs.

I have 1 little lipo stitch that is oozing a bit & red.  I did put some of that red stuff on it...Iodine?

Anything I should watch for?  it will probably be fine....

My Thrush wont go away.  Went out Drinking Sat & that made it even worse.  I may call for Flucozonal precription this am.  But I did have a great time Saturday celebrating my Bday with Eve & her dh.  Even with MN a Skating rink & all.

I have my DVR all set to record this am.  cant wait to watch!

Besides all of the above...I feel great Emotionally.  I am DONE!!  it took 2.5 years from start to finish.  it feels very good to be done. ; )

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

Looks like I missed the CNN show, will they have a link anywhere, I'd love to watch it.

I had my stage 2 on Thursday, Took the demeral and man that messed me up so bad. Couldn't talk straight, fell asleep almost all day off and on, in the middle of talking, texting, anything. It was bad! I had to stop taking it, and just switched to tylenol. I'm still yelling out in my sleep and crazy dreams, so not sure if that's the leftover from demeral, cause I did that then too!  I have to say the pain is nothing like I expected, it's not bad at all. Sore yes, but tolerable for sure. I have one drain in the low pubic belly area and it's putting out only 35 yesterday and 10 today so far! 

I see lipo spots/sites on my back, hips and thighs, but none on my belly???? I know he said he was revsed my ab incision so could he have gone through there for lipo? I'm going to be really disappointed if they did none on my belly :( He said he was! i have my post-op today so I'll have to check. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

The segment on CNN was great.  Wish they would dedicate more time and programs to this topic. 

Xfitgirl you were great. 

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2010

I did not see the segment on Reconstruction from NOLA on CNN but was so happy that Marcia had it posted on FaceBook so I shared it to my page. Great to see that NOLA and the reconstruction options are getting some attention! I am so thankful that I did not have to look at scars for the rest of my life......2 years was long enough!!!! It was so good to see Dr. D in the video too! Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember all that we have to be thankful for!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2013

What powerful community of breast cancer warriors we are! I told my friend Jessica, who mentored Liz, that the CNN piece is a result of the breast cancer survivors ,"Circle of Love"

Good day to get the word out! Please go to CNN and add your 2 cents many people are beginning to post there comments and are saying things like .."this procedure has been around for 30 years" etc etc Important that we set the record straight!

CoolMarcia

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2013

Hey ladies...

I haven't been in here much... but wanted to drop in and say WTG Liz .. I thought the CNN piece was great, although short, but it did hammer the point that there are options out there!  My story is similar to Liz's (delayed bilateral SGAP with the previous radiation).... and I am so so thankful for this thread because I was being talked into a Lat Flap here in Hoosierville... so this Thanksgiving I am very thankful for this thread and for those who went before me so that I would have the courage to make my way to NOLA. Laughing

I am leaving a week from this Wednesday for my Stage 2B with Dr. D and am nervous (mainly because I'm not sure what the definite plan is yet) but looking forward to being in the care of the good people at St. Charles and of course Dr. D. 

For those recovering, I wish for quick healing... for those who are facing new challenges.... I wish for peace and strength..... Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2010

I loved the CNN piece. I wish it would have provided more detail. I am going to post it on my facebook page. I hope this will help inform other women about their options.

Stage 2 was a week and a half ago. I have two hip drains due to the ab plication. The right is getting really sore and painful and doesn't put out much fluid. My left drain is great and has been putting out about 80cc per day, but I woke up this morning with a lot of ab pain and it seems that my left drain quit working . Thankfully fluid is leaking around the drain hole so it is taking some of the pressure off my gut. I hope that if I keep stripping it, it will start working again. I really want to pull the right, but I can't do it if the left is not working. Any ideas?

Otherwise, I am down to 1/2 a percocet every 4 to 6 hours. I have some Darvocet but I am going to hoard it since they pulled it off the market...That is a sad thing for me since I react to all of the other pain meds.

Liz, thanks again for doing the CNN piece, I hope your healing is going well.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Sheri, you hang in there. 2.5 weeks is very early - you're doing great! It won't be long now... I had plication too, it's a big deal to get over, but you will...!!!!

Holt Bolt, do not worry... He knows what to do! You are in the best of hands. I always document all my questions, and have then with me in the exam, but he comes in and addresses everything and more. (but I still check my notes before he goes!) And he makes "suggestions"  with the blue pen all over you (!!), you can say no. You are in control. I always say go for it. But it's totally up to you!

Liz, Marcia (for the introduction!) -- thank you for the great CNN Piece!  

3.5 weeks post my 2B surgery. We cycled 1 hour 45min today and an hour the last two days. Have to get out there before the weather turns cold!  I think the cycling has deflated my swelling, I feel better and better....  less sore. 

• AnneW
    edited November 2010

Update: A full day with only the slightest hint of arm and shoulder pain (and that was early this morning before a looonnngggg day at work.) Looks the steroids are finally kicking in. I knew it could take two weeks (it hasn't even been that long) but when you hurt, you can't imagine NOT hurting...

I'm thinking that with as crazy as my life had been up to this point, I just wasn't supposed to have surgery last Friday. And since I don't take subtle hints well, my body went for big game! I'll be much more up for elective surgery after the New Year. I hope!

Anne

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

Anne, glad to hear that you are feeling better!  

Liz, I just watched the CNN segment on their website and then posted my long-winded comments!  It's frustrating to see all of the misinformation posted, and know that it's just the tip of the iceberg.  We need to keep spreading the word about DIEP and GAP, sharing our results with women facing mastectomies and encouraging them to fully educate themselves before they make their crucial decisions. You were wonderful and I'm sure that the story will inspire women to seek more information about the procedure you had.

Spring, you're amazing!  I'm so sore and it's so cold here in L.A. that I've been spending a lot of time huddled under a blankie.  I need to get back into our daily walking routine while waiting to heal enough to start working with my trainer again.   We usually go at 6:30 a.m. and this morning it was only 49 degrees, so I chose to stay in bed where it was warm, but that's not helping me heal!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2010

Spring I'm so jealous...but proud of you!  It's snowing like a mofo here...and people aren't used to it!  CRAZY!!!

Liz, fantastic video!  I wish it would have been longer though!!