Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2010

Hi Hotbutt! Haven't heard from you in a while! You'll get to see the Christmas decorations in the Quarter and the Garden District! Focus on that and don't worry about the rest! Think of the suggestions Dr. D will make as little holiday surprises - everything will be good!

Lynn - When one of mine quit draining, Dr. T said to try to push it in more to see if that helped. It didn't, tho.

Anne - I like the way you framed your surgery being delayed. I agree with you.

2tzus - Sending the link on to your husband's boss is just one example of how much Liz's piece (and you)will help people. And it will be multiplied over and over in ways we will never know!

Liz - I've watched your video multiple times now and just need to reiterate what a great job you did. You were so candid and so sincere. Not everyone could have done what you did - actually, I think there are precious few. Bravo, girl! 

Trishia - Dr. D is the best!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

Liz - GREAT piece!!! You go girl!

We only got a little snow here - hoping it starts dumping soon... but alas, we don't normally get that much - we send it all to Trishia... LOL

Sent off my appeal letter on Saturday with 10 pages of documents to back it up... hope it works. If not... I will have to appeal again... and then I am out of appeals. Then it depends on how much energy I want to spend getting in touch with the Dept. of Labor and hashing things out... ARGH

Hottbutt Wink - You will be GREAT!

Pam- I hope you are feeling better soon!

Ladies - have a great Thanksgiving! 

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2010

Can I just say it...I HATE HIP DRAINS!!! Ugh. 

Okay, I feel better now.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2010

Nordy,

You are amazing, an inspiration to us all. Let us know how it works out with the Dept. of Labor.  

Liz,

You are so beautiful in that video.  Good job in spreading the word.  I just heard from another woman on this web site, on a different thread, who was not getting the full story about reconstruction, so I sent her a copy of the CNN clip.  Think of how many women you are helping. 

Sprintime,

Thank you so much for keeping this thread up to date.  How are you doing?

TO ALL WOMEN ON THIS THREAD- HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKGIVING.  I always look forward every day to hear of what you have to say. 

Ok, I am going to put on my skiis and go cross country skiing from my front door.  We just got a bunch of snow here in Seattle, WA- something we do not often get. 

Laurie

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2010

Hip drains are definitely a pain.  I was so anxious to get my last one out at 6 weeks.  I had to have an aspiration done to drain some extra fluid that was building up the next week.  Yikes, wish I had waited a few more days before pulling it. 

At eight weeks today I am feeling much better.  Just wish I had expected this long of a recovery.  Getting excited about the next stage. 

Just want to tell all of the women on this thread how very thankful I am that I found you.  I would have never known about NOLA or had the confidence I do with the doctors there.  You have all been a blessing to me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2010

THANK YOU Sandy for setting some of those people straight on the CNN board!!! I think yet again it shows just how much ignorance is out there. 

Indiana - Is that you holtbolt? Thank you for adding a comment also.

You both added some GREAT info that peeps watching or reading either didn't see or are just too miserable with themselves to want to see. Really appreciate you both "setting some people straight".

Journey - I HATE HIP DRAINS TOO!!! Almost 5 weeks from stage 1 and still "dripping" very well. Arggg! Between my 25lb weight gain, drains and girdle, I feel like a stuffed turkey :) Not sure what I am going to wear for Thanksgiving dinner (going out to a nice restaurant). I have a huuuuge blouse and leggings so I think that will have to do. 

Thanks to all of you for your kind words about the CNN piece. I feel honored to have been given the opportunity to do this and truly appreciate each and every one of you NOLA sista's!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! 

• Minnesota
    edited November 2010

Journey - We all hate those drains! UGH is right!!!

lciscarol - You're in Seattle! We lived there a few years waaaay back in the eighties! Our daughter was born at the U. of Washington Hospital. She had complications and we were told if she hadn't been born there, and with the NICU right down the hall from delivery, she probably would not have survived. I will always have a special place in my heart for Seattle! Yes, we only had snow once the whole time we lived there. A rarity indeed! We don't even have enough here in Minnesota to cross-country ski yet! Hope you're having a beautiful ski!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you! - we all have many blessings we can count, including all the great ladies we've met on this wonderful thread that Beverly started, and all that good that has come from it!

THANK YOU BEVERLY!

• Xfitgirl
    edited November 2010

THANK YOU BEVERLY!!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies! I have decided that I do not want to spend the day cooking so we are going to the beach! Turkey subs ,chips,fruit,sodas a couple of beach chairs and a good book..that sounds like the perfect way to say "Thanks" to me.

To all my NOLA sisters enjoy your family and friends this week and know I  will be thanking G-d for having you all in my life!

MarciaCool

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2010

Liz, great job on the CNN story.  How do you look so good that soon post op??  :):)

I'd like to read the comments and maybe post one but can't seem to find them! Does anyone have a link?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Wishing a safe, happy, and healthy Thanksgiving to all!  You all are one of the things I am most grateful for!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2013

Xfit - yeppers, that's me... indianachick is my alter-ego ... I use it when robbing banks and posting on other sites.... lol...Smile  I think your CNN story was great and I hope it helps other women .. I'm sure it will.....and I hope you are healing well!

All pre-surgical tests complete.... Community Hospital North lost my urine so I had to do the UA AGAIN..... apparently they do NOT have a lost and found there for missing bodily fluids... wth.  I did ask.  Oh well, if that's the only glitch this trip, it's all good.... leaving a week from tomorrow......

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2010

I agree.. Hip Drains are awful.After stripping the left drain all day yesterday, it started working again and is putting out lots of fluid. My right only put out 20 cc in 24 hours so Laura told me I could pull it. It hurt so bad that it made me nauseous. The drain wasn't stuck, it was just so painful to start with that even touching it was awful. I have been sleeping all day and just feel crappy.

2t, I hear ya, it is cold. I am so cheap I won't turn the furnace on either. So I have been using my woodstove all day and night to keep the house warm.Thankfully I have a pretty good supply of wood so it hasn't really cost me anything yet this year.

Thanksgiving is coming and somehow dinner got moved to my house because I am not feeling well and it will be easier for me to be involved...HUH...We also have 6 more people attending than we planned on. Thank God my mom is here to do most of the cooking and DH knows that he is on a tight rope and he better be in the kitchen all day and not outside smoking cigars by the fire. We generally cook our turkey and ducks in the ground and I know it will be okay and will be fun but I just feel ill right now so my attitude stinks. I am grateful for everything that has happened this last year and am so glad to have real boobs again. Happy Thanksgiving gals !

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! I am thankful for all of you, my BC sisters!

Today I did my weights at the gym and then later we walked 2 miles really fast (30 min - this would seem like nothing to Nordy and PJ!!). I love not working. There is so much more time for exercise! (I took off this week!) Tomorrow we should cycle again. That may be our last day unless we can get one in on Thanksgiving day before it gets ccccold here... Wahhh... well, it will be glorious when the spring comes again!

Our daughters will get home from university tomorrow, and we are all going over to Grandma's house, and I only need to bring 3 veggie dishes, so I got off easy this year. YAY!!! 

ANNE!! I am so glad you are feeling better!!! Take it easy... when will you be able to start some exercise again? How do you do that with an injury like this?

2T, glad to hear you are already finding someone who could learn from Liz's video! Sandy, as Liz said, thanks for getting in there and correcting. You are an inspiration! Liz, it really is a good piece. And Minn is right, you were perfect for it.

Trisha, "snowing like a mofo". LOL LOL LOL. You TOTALLY crack me up!

Minn, you keep that up and you really are going to have to leg wrestle Trisha! ha! :)

Nordy, let us know what happens next with your appeal. For profit insurance, they make money on denials! The idea is to make money... ugh.

Journey, come here any time and vent. YES, hip drains are a pain!!

Carroll, I am doing better! Still sore (Lipo hurts like a mofo, as Trisha would say!! LOL) but I do feel better.

Melinda, glad you are feeling better, In another 8 weeks, you will be nearly normal again!

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!! Turkey Sandwiches on the beach sounds PERFECT!!! And yes, a perfect way to say THANKS! Enjoy!

Hope you are feeling okay Ginnie??

Hot Butt - lost your urine??? I don't know why, but this cracked me UP!!! I wonder what the person that has it is doing with it. Ewwww!!! Enjoy thanksgiving! Your surgery is right around the corner....

Sheridangirl, I hope you cheer up and are able to enjoy Thanksgiving once things get started. I have to say, cooking Turkey and ducks in the ground sure sounds interesting to me.... Let us know how it turns out!

YOU ARE ALL WELCOME!! And you are all a blessing to me, and to everyone else here!

Happy Thanksgiving!

gt 

• Xfitgirl
    edited November 2010

Go holtbolt!!! Psychology 101. Love it! Thanks!Laughing

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited November 2010

lol Xfit, that was an example of why I have an alter-ego screen name.  Holtbolt is nice and professional, Indianachick calls out the jackasses when they say stupid things... lol.

Anyway, YES, Spring, they lost my pee!  Somewhere there is a cup of urine with my name on it floating around.... should I be uncomfortable with that... I don't know....? LOL LOL   Maybe some druggie swiped it to pass a drug test for employment of some sort....  you know .. these are hard times... so if it helped someone get a job.... I guess maybe I should be okay with it.... I will consider it my good deed for 2010....lol

Minnesota - I do look forward to the holiday decorations in NOLA... gosh you guys if only I could "live up" to the nickname HottButt ..... maybe after this next surgery ... LOL

Happy Thanksgiving!

• chimama05
    chimama05 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! I feel so blessed to be chatting amongst such awesome ladies! God Bless Us All!!!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2010

Cant remember and too lazy to look it up....do the Marena garments run large or small?  Seems like I remember someone saying one or the other, but have slept since then! lol   Any other suggestions on what works good for us heavier women?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2010

Gin- You should go by the measurements here: http://marenagroup.com/InfoHelp/tabid/281/Default.aspx

But if you're *literally* between sizes like I was, go for the smaller one.

-Brenda

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2010

OMG!  Swiping pee for pass drug tests...LOL!  You are cracking me up!!!

I just want to publicly announce that Minnesota announced on my Facebook page that Dr. S is the best!  SO THERE!!!   Love you Minn!

Yesterday was my 40th bday.  I've been celebrating for days.  Most of you are friends with me on FB, so I won't go into another sappy and rambling post, but just to reiterate how thankful I am for you all.   Much love! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2010

Happy Birthday Trishia!!!

• Minnesota
    edited November 2010

Trishia, I said "maybe" and it only holds true thru your birthday weekend, then I will revoke it! LOL! PPPPLLLBBBTTT!!!!!!!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2010

Wishing you all a Very Happy ThanksGiving!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2010

Pam :) happy belated Birthday :). Sorry I am late I haven't been on FB much until this week.

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! This year I am once again so thankful for our docs! I love having breasts again!!!

• Xfitgirl
    edited November 2010

I am thankful for many things including our great Docs. Today I am specially thankful to be able to stand up straight again and for not to having to take any pain meds for the first time in 5 weeks! Next step is to lose these two drains and the torture chamber. I see normal WITH boobs on the horizon. Woo, hoo!!!

Hope you are all having a great day! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

Brain fog question - I'm 3 weeks post Stage 2B.  I'm having a heck of a time with my linear thinking since my surgery.  I remember noticing this the last time, too, with it taking me several weeks to feel that I was sharp again.  I'm stupider this time than last, though.  I dropped several things today, forget what i was doing several times, not remembering words.  SO frustrating.  Do you remember being fuzzy brained for awhile?  I've had 5 general anesthesia's in a year, which is really a lot, I think.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2010

kcshreve - I don't think you are alone.  I have been "under" appx 25 hours in total over past two years and my normally sharp mind is very fuzzy.  This last surgery was appx 11 hours and at 3 weeks out I am still screwed up.  Although I used to have very sharp (martial arts) reflexes and what little I fumbled I could catch in mid air - now when I prepare to redo my bandages I now pull out a few more than I need because I always seem to drop something on the floor!  Last week when my husband was driving me to the bank I starting telling him to turn the wrong way (he knew the way) and I was so confused for a few seconds as to where we were!  The body and mind are a wonderful thing and I just have to believe that we will heal eventually!  In the mean time I'm on board the Fuzzy Train with you!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2010

Talking about drains -- Left the hospital on Saturday and somehow managed to lose all my drains before leaving for home on Wednesday!!  I've kept the binder on night and day with hopes I won't develop any problems.  So far, I feel good but tired.   Can relate with those of you who are hibernating under warm covers!  It felt so good to take those long walks through the French Quarter post surgery in 80 degree weather.  The snow, wind and ice here at home are not at all conducive to walking.  The only exercise I'm getting now is the walk into the kitchen to get my water jug filled and then, of course, all the careful tucking in of the blankets to assure I'm warm enough.  Hugs and fast recovery to all!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

KC, interesting you say that, I think I get brain fog also from the anesthesia. After my Stage 2 surgery last year, I even got "cognitive testing". I thought it was the Tamoxifen. But after 11 months, I thought my mental capacities were back to normal. Then I just had 2B (it was a much shorter surgery) but I feel a bit dopey again! Plus, I am having "dizzy spells" which is odd.

I hope it just all wears off by next year!

Minn and Trisha, LOL!!! I think we're back to the Leg Wrasslin'!!! ha!

I am thankful that I am well enough to do a lot of exercise! Today was a 4.4 mile walk with DH. I am thankful for a strong, healthy, working body! Those of you still recovering, you know what I mean! We just don't take this for granted anymore!!!