Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2010

Wow, I have had a fuzzy brain too. After 7 surgeries in a year, I figured my brain was getting tired of all of this. My stage 2 only lasted 5 hours but I can barely remember being overnight at St Charles and have no real recollection of my first few days at Hope Lodge. I know it will get better but it is frustrating.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2013

Another infection in the belly button. All red and feels like someone stabbing me in the stomach. Sent pictures to Laura and she called me in a prescription. I hope this clears up soon. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving, Had to work but triple time is tough to pass up.Also being tested for Neuropathy due to frequent falls. Hope it gets better. Hugs to all

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2010

Sally -- hope that clears up -- you do not need another infection!!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited November 2010

I'm glad people have mentioned the fuzzy brain, and dizzy spells. I just sometimes wake up and feel "off". It's only been a week since stage 2 so I guess with time that will all go away!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Oh no, that's not good :( When did you have surgery last? I could NOT remember to take my antibiotics this time to save my life. I had to put it on my calendar on my Ipod otherwise I was screwed!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I'm not sure too much about the anesthesia. But it sure seems to be the common thing we all have here. That is a lot of surgery in a year! I'm curious about the stage 2B, seems to be a few of those going on. What do they do?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

What have some of you wore after stage 2? I'm on week one, so I have another week of wearing the girdle. I don't mind it really, but it's quite a chore after showering and stuff. I saw some stage 2 garments, but not sure if they're really necessary, or is a spanx cami good? I feel like I'd like something on my stomach area for just a little longer but don't really have 100.00 for a marena stage 2 garment.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2010

I had a binder for #1, a girdle for #2, and a girdle for my2B which was 3 weeks ago.  I agree the girdle is kind of a pain, but it's only for a few weeks, then I don't plan on wearing these things ever again.  I had a hard time justifying the expense of a garment I'll not wear again.  Plus, with the development of lymphedema, there have been new expenses.  So, in a way, I'm glad for the girdles they sent me home with, which don't cost me any more $$ at this time.  Dr S did say I could switch to Spanx after about 4 weeks if I wanted to.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

kschreve, if i remember right the garment after stage 2 is 24/7 for 2 weeks, and Dr S didn't tell me anything to wear or do after that? Did you just develop LE?

• foobs
    foobs Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2010

dragonfly  i just missed you.  I'm so glad to be home.  Am doing ok, still sore, swollen but love my reconstruction.  Drs, everyone in NOLA was so nice to us.

STAGE III LOBULAR 03/09 ER+PR+ HER2-   April 09 PARTIAL MX -- 8  positive LN.   May 09 CHEMO   Oct 09 R MX   RADS Dec 09.    Nov. 2010 NOLA Prophylactic L MX & BILAT  DIEP

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2010

I hope you all had a very nice Thanksgiving!  Everyone came to my house and I cooked, but my sister-in-law brought a few things too and that helped.   After dinner, we felt an earthquake.  That's always fun...we had one on Easter too.

I am also suffering from fuzzy brain syndrome. I have been looking for my two cameras since I returned home from NOLA and I cannot find them.  I think I may have hidden them before we left town, and I must have done a really good job!  I'm feeling more frustrated with each passing day because I don't really remember when or where I last saw them, and I need them!  2tzus, I may start crying soon too.  I have heard that it takes a week or more of recovery for each hour of anesthesia, so be patient with yourself!

Liz, glad to hear that you're able to get by without the narcotics.   That's real progress!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

foobs, sorry I missed you!!! I just love going down there and meeting people from the board. Makes it seem more like home :)

Ok, question ladies.... On my left side, it's my bad side, I had radiation there, a horrible time healing from my mastectomy etc... So when I went back for stage 2, Dr S took about an inch of "bad" skin and hard tissue from the outside of my left breast. Worked out great because my left one from the DIEP had turned out larger and wider than my right. Now the size is almost perfect for both breasts...YEAH!!! But..... he also did fat injections on the top of each breast. Which they were fine before that. Now above my left breast, the skin is very hard, thick, lumpy and discolored :( I'm so sad, and scared that this will stay like it forever? Is it because of all the scar tissue and radiated skin, will it go away with time? They looked great before in a tank top or v neck shirt, now my left looks so nasty up top :( 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly, your stage II was so recent that you probably have a lot of swelling right now.  Things usually soften up and smooth out over time (months).  If you are concerned, I'd contact your nurse at the Center.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Thanks, I will shoot them an email to just ask. I did ask Lara at my post-op about it, she said it was because he had to go through scar tissue.

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

Dragon - I developed LE just after Stage 1, so I've been dealing with it for awhile now.  I think Dr S told me a longer time in the girdle than usual based on the abdominal repairs he did.  Usually the time is shorter, and he did say moving over to something like Spanx would be fine, since so many women like those.  I'm going to be a die-hard with no extra purchases right now.

• sheridangirl
    edited November 2010

E bay sells Marena Garments with a starting bid of 19.99. They only go up to size L though.

Thanksgiving was fun but exhausting. For the first time in years we actually ate dinner before 8:00 PM. DH had to get up at 4:00 am to start the fire so there would be enough coals ready to put the turkey in the ground at 8:00 am. Both the turkey and duck turned out awesome.

I have really been fighting fluid build up in my abdomen. I have my left drain still and it seems to work really well for a day or so and then stops working. I have to strip it continually and it finally starts working again. Miserable. I think I need a tighter garment the one I have is slipping down all of the time and I don't feel like I have enough pressure on my abdomen. My left nipple scar line is turning red and I am a bit concerned that I may be developing an infection.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I thought I could wear an XL, but I see my garment from the center is 5XL? I about died when I saw that, how is that possible??? I don't get it at all, there is no way I'm that large, especially after all this. I wore an 18W before this.

That's pretty early to get up for starting the fire. I bet it was so good though! I know my brother has roasted ours before and it was so good! 

That's strange about the drain working and then not working? I know I was concerned about mine because I'd strip it, and I could feel it burn and actually regaining suction. But the drain tube would stay flattened out for a while. I called before I flew home Dr S said it was no problem and it would be fine. It did eventually come back to normal. Maybe you should call them and ask about a different size of garment, and the drain and redness? I just emailed them about my question I had. I know mine keeps slipping down and rolling down in the back too. Plus before it was so tight i couldn't get it on myself, and now I can. 

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Dragon, those silly DOM sizes are ridiculous! I am 5'8 and 155 (size 8L or 10L in pants) and I have an XL DOM from my last surgery.  (My Marena garments were both "L" and were fine - so the sizing is off! I thought I would have made it into a "L" but NOOO!!! I think after Stage 1 I had a 2XL, and I remember thinking HOLY GOD, I"VE BLOWN UP LIKE A FRIGGIN' BALLOON!!!!

Try to ignore the size label! My advice!    

Here are the ladies coming up next week!!! We're into December!!!

Dec 2 - mamaluch - Stage 2 Dr. D., NOLA.

Dec 2 - BettyeE - Dec. 2, Dr. D. SCSH, Stage 2. NOLA.

Dec 3 (her son's birthday!!), - HoltBolt - Stage 2B (revisions) Dr. D., St. Charles Surgical.

Dec 3 - LindaG - Stage 2, Dr. M., Charleston.

Spring.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2013

Thanks springtime, the sizing sure does nothing for your self confidence after going through all that!! LOL! I saw it and thought, that can't possibly be the size, maybe it's the item# or model# but nope.... not that i'm not in a demerol induced coma I see it sure enough is a 5Xl. I think if I buy something else I'll have to go in and try it on first. I'd hate to buy on ebay and have it not fit. Does anyone wear the straps on the "DOM"? I didn't have mine on until today, they never said to wear or not to wear them. It started rolling down in the back so I put them on. Man it feels different all over now!!! Way more compressed!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone! I also have fuzzy brain - big problem remembering the right words - always on the tip of the tongue. I cannot find my address book, since New Orleans. I've given up looking. And as we were landing in Minneapolis, I remembered that I had forgotten to put on those pressure hose! I'm sure it's all the anesthesia, plus, perhaps, the whole menopause thing...

Good luck to all you ladies coming up this week!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2010

Hey Minn, don't give up yet.  I found one of my cameras in the trunk of the show car today.   The other one is really tiny, so it could be just about anywhere, but I am feeling a bit better about the state of my brain cells now.

Does anyone have an email address for the person who now coordinates the tattoo appointments?  I'm hoping Donn can do them on January 13th for me.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

I was reviewing the center's photos tonight of all the before/after... now I'm kicking myself for not getting the nipples redone. I just couldn't make many more trips back there, since I have no job or insurance. Dr S was great and said no big deal I can come back any time but .....

• Minnesota
    edited November 2010

Sandy,

Here's Donn's webpage, along with his e-mail and phone. I'm sure he could tell ya!

http://tattooagogo.com/home.html

• Minnesota
    edited November 2010

Dragonfly - It doesn't take multiple trips - only for those of us who are rather compulsive perfectionists who are obsessed with having zoomin' nips! Only one trip to build (and now we know they can do that in the office - I still say, "Say What?!"). So don't despair! You could probably have them tattooed at home. I've just been having mine touched up while I'm already under the knife, scalpel, laser? for the other breast recon.

• sheridangirl
    edited November 2010

Ebay has a site that sells Marena garments and they have the measurments on there. I cannot fit into a large so I think I am going to have to buy one from the marena site. I am really trying hard not to spend money since I am off work right now. But, I may just do it because I think it will help the abdomenal fluid go down faster if it is tighter. I can put my Dom outfit on by myself now too so it is just not tight enough. Dragonfly, you can always get a PS to do your nipples later,

I called the center to see about AB since the left scar line and nipple are now red. My right scar line is starting to get a little red too as is the area around my abdomenal drain. I am not sure if it is a reaction to the stitches or what. I know my body does not like the clear stitches and I have developed an infection from them previously when I had my TE's in last year. I have also been very tired and run down. I really want to do stuff, but just don't have the energy to get moving. I hate this part of recovery.

Do any of you So Cal girls know where I can have my nipples tatooed around here?  

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2010

I had a reaction at stage 2 3 weeks out to the stitches and lost a nipple because of the stitches :( At stage 2b I removed them at 13 days to eliminate that isse and all is well this time.

Dragonfly- I wear a XL dom :( I sure wasn't impressed.

Pam- I can't find your e-mails :( I wanna talk ;). I hope you are doing well.

Nordy- did youe tat's heal okay??

Okay so this Friday I am getting my tatoo's which scares me and makes me happy all at the same time. I feel like I have been waiting for this day for almost two years and it is almost here. I just hope I am bot disappointed.

Sandy- if you are ever in need of photos for bridal "stuff" let me know. I would be happy to help :).

• Springtime
    edited November 2010

Jamie, I get my tattoo in later this month. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. I have a feeling I have some feeling. ha! And so am scared of the needle!!!  gulp.

Sandy, I called Katie, and she hooked me up with the woman who does Donn's appointments. I can't remember her name, and she called, not emailed. Just sayin!. Glad you found a camera.

Hi Minn!!!!!! Don't give up on the address book yet! Christmas/Holiday cards and all!!! 

Lynn I don't regret buying my Marena at their site. I just could not take any more sleeping in those zippers. I was about to go bonkers. I tried ebay, but no dice on the non-zipper variety.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Thanks Eve, that's good to know! If I find a job with benefits I may make a fun trip back there next year and get them. We'll see. I'm just so thrilled with Dr S's work and having "girls" again, I wasn't too focused on the nipples.

Jaimie, I can't believe you were an XL, in the DOM! I can truly see the sizing is way off! Wow!

Does anyone know the name of the car service the center uses? I'd love to send a thank you card. We had such excellent service. Our driver that picked us up at the airport and dropped us off at the airport was over the top! I loved him.... We did have 1 bad experience with a driver named Joey but other than that it's a huge treat to have them driving us.

• kcshreve
    edited November 2010

You can call Katie for driver details.  She'd probably like your input.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited November 2010

Good idea, I'll do that tomorrow. They know all about our bad experience, but I'd like to pass on the good as well! Thank you :)