Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2010

Going back a page, I agree.  After all of the money being poured in to breast cancer research, there should be a cure by now. Or at least a better treatment than cut/burn/poison.  The treatments are still so barbaric!! I find myself getting a little cynical.  If they actually found a true cure, think of all the revenue that the oncologist,  radiation oncologists, hospitals & pharmaceutical companies would loose.  Ok, so maybe more than just a little cynical when it comes to this subject.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

I am just disgusted. The Elizabeth Edwards thing. I live in NC. It is just really hard to take. A public face on something happening all the time, everywhere. It makes me sick! We put people on the moon, and we can't crack this? C'mon!! Why do I feel if this was men's balls it would have been solved by now. I just want to SCREAM!!! This just pisses me off to no end. Mad! Mad. grrrr.

Jamie, glad to hear the tattoo feels better and looks good! I am excited. Katie called me today about travel arrangements. ahhhh! I am all set!! I am almost done! Yay!!

Kim, the bulb thing, as I remember is - you pull one off the tubing and pop another one on! Very simple. Hope you are better and thanks for letting ALL of us know -- DO NOT PUSH THE TUBE BACK IN!!!!! That message came through loud and clear.

Sandy and Minn, if we go to NOLA in Oct 2011 -- an we make a pact to go and NOT have touch up surgeries?? :)

Ann - I am so happy that you can have that biopsy at St. Charles!! I feel like compared to other places, we are treated so special, like celebrities or something. (especially Liz, who was in a suite! amazing! She's really famous now, lol).  I feel so comfortable there. I am happy for you. !!!! Wonderful!

Hott Butt - are you sure you are not up to 2 amazon gifts and 2 BMs? I think you are getting behind in your BMs. LOL.

Somebody asked about donor site areas. I have some numbness in spots, but it seemed over time some of the feeling did come back. The lipo makes areas numb, but I've noticed some feeling returning after a while. However, nothing is like it was prior to surgery. There is a lot of feeling lost all over if you ask me... 

OH almost forgot... here are upcoming surgeries!!

Dec 9 - just4ann -  Stage 2 at St Charles with Dr S.

Dec 14 - Lciscarroll - Stage 1 PBMX, Dr. S & Dr. Lagarde, 12/2 - 22. NOLA  
  • mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Did anyone ever have to remove their own drain? I had to come home with one even though its barely putting out 5cc.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

It was a blow to hear about Elizabeth Edwards. She was someone you could point to who was living with breast cancer mets, yet doing so well. It illustrates for me, again, what we all know so well - how much we are all connected in this bc sorority. For the good times, like we've all shared here on this thread and in New Orleans; and for the bad times, when we cry for a woman we never even met...

Dragonfly - My nerves have always first signalled their regeneration with a burning sensation. Sometimes little pangs, more often a feeling like a very bad sunburn. I've even sometimes gone back to the dom, because once I ditch the thing, then my regular clothes rub on my skin and the burnt feeling is way more noticeable. Yes, the dom can be your friend in many ways! And nerve regeneration (without the attendant burning feeling, tho - at least for me) has continued for as much as 2 years out, that I noticed. It may even continue some after that.

Jen - Wow! You're almost there. So I think it was you I tried talking to while waiting to be wheeled in for Stage 1 back in March/April? I know it was someone I knew who was going to be there the same time as me, right next to me with the curtain between us. And I said "Jinger, is that you?" And felt pretty dumb, in case it wasn't. But I think it was. Or am I totally confused? (And I got way less shy when, this last time, in recovery, I yelled across the room, "Sandy! Is that you over there?!" And then Sandy said she knew it was me because she heard me "cackling"!) Jen, now be sure to use a regular coaster this time -- I'd say that is one thing about you that IS a little weird!

Boy, my husband and I swear Dr. T suggested we try to push that drain back in a little bit, after thoroughly sterilizing the area and tube with iodine. But we were not to push very much. Hmmm...

Ann - That is amazing that they were able to make arrangements for your biopsy at St. Charles. Fantastic! Good luck with everything!

Maui - Yes, we all agree that Dr. D's hands are the best! (Trishia?)

Springtime - Yes! Yes! Next October! And NO surgeries!

Mama - My husband pulled my drain. I bet you could find someone to do it for you. Just pull it straight out.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

Thanks Eve, it's a strange feeling, and not always in the same spot that's why I figured it was nerves and all the changes from stage 1 and 2 in the last 3 months! I would LOVE to have another DOM in a smaller size, I wish I could talk them into sending me one. I'd be still wearing it but it got too big and was rolling down in the back so far it was hitting right on the lipo spots, ouch!

Mama - I had my grandma pull all my drains when they were ready, simple!!! Snip the stitches, open the bulb and pull and make sure to clean it with the swabs before and after pulling. Laura said to clean it and keep it covered for 2 days after pulling it. It didn't hurt a bit and takes just a couple minutes!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Good Heavens! I had to read 5 or 6 pages to catch up!

Kim - glad to hear you are getting your infection under control. I also had an infection in one of my hip drains - output got really smelly and cloudy. Levaquin was also the drug of choice for me and it worked exactly like it was supposed to! 

Whoever asked about aspirations... I lost count of how many times I went back to have my hips aspirated... and my local PS also placed small drains back IN after about 3 or 4 aspirations... ! I tend to be an outlier, so I am going to go out on a limb and say that this just won't happen to you!

Laurie - In all honesty, it sounds like you would not want your local PS to take care of you anyway! Hematomas from her previous work? Yes, you may just be better off going elsewhere! You can always drive south... my local PS is wonderful.

Jaimie - I would be on the phone to the editor in a heartbeat. Seriously, whatever happened to responsible reporting? Oh, wait, that has been gone for a while now! Still, make that phone call and raise some h*ll!

Alaina - If you are reading - Love you girl. Many, many prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Giving you a long distance hug. 

Well - looking at a stack of bills that need my attention and I am exhausted! I was up all night last night with my older daughter, who had a temp of 104 and wheezing. I thought it might be croup and after a trip to the pediatrician this AM, it turns out I was right. So... she is asleep in my bed with the humidifier running next to her. Now I just have to keep checking in on her because the night time is the worst for symptoms. But... because of this, and maybe because of the season we are in... it makes me feel so, so grateful to still be here on this earth raising my precious girls. 

Oh... and about Elizabeth Edwards... yes I was very saddened also. Interesting that we talk about all the advancements that have been made over the last century, but that we can't find a cure for cancer. The unfortunate part about some of these advancements is that many of them contribute to the higher incidences of cancer. Everything... from genetically modified crops to cell phones - specifically wireless technology, to plastics with BPA in them, to hormone fed chicken, beef & dairy. Here is my "Debbie Downer" article for the day:

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/WH/is-your-health-on-the-line

And seriously, after you are done reading that... does anyone even know where you can buy a corded phone these days?! 

• TerriD
    TerriD Member Posts: 438
    edited December 2010

fo rthe corded ohone, try salvation army (not joking) I havent seen them anyplace else.

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

Jinger and Ann,  wishing you a speedy recovery.  My prayers are with you. 

I pulled all of my drains after I got home except the first one.  My sister was here and offered to pull it.  Just remember to snip all of the stitches connected to it first.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

All Hibiclens clean and off to see the wizard!!

--Ann 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2010

Besides the treatments of cut/burn/poison, I forgot to add the aromatase inhibitors for 5 years!  Those cause bone pain, osteoporosis, cardiovascular issues, hot flashes, weight gain!  I agree with Springtime.  If as many men suffered from testicular cancer as women do from breast cancer, there would have been a cure years ago.  I'm just sayin' 

OK. I'm done with my rant now.  Thanks for letting me vent.  BTW, this thread really is a lifesaver.  If I hadn't come across it & all you wonderful women, I never would have known about NOLA.  A year after the devastating diagnosis of breast cancer & all that goes with it,  I am now done with treatments & have bodacious tatas as well!  It's all good :)  I am so grateful to all of you, to the Dr's & medical staff at NOLA and especially to God who worked it all out! 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

Spring, yes to NO surgery next October.  I have had surgery the week of or day of my daughter's birthday for the past three years, and have been recovering for my last three wedding anniversarys.  Enough is enough and other than a tiny revision that I am trying to arrange for January with local anesthetic, I am determined to stop being hard on myself about my failure to go to NOLA in the very beginning.

Kim, your story is similar to mine with the 50cc/drain being yanked.  When confronted, my first surgeon said "I have always removed drains at 50cc and I will continue to do so!".   He is another idiot, and he tried to convince me that the pseudobursa in my abdomen was suture reactions.  He wanted me to wait for them to resolve before having stage II, and when I told him that I was feeling worse every day, he said he would not reopen my abdomen because it was invasive "and we don't like doing invasive things to the human body".  This was after he'd spent 14 hours doing my DIEP!   If he'd aspirated the big seroma I had, perhaps the need for surgical removal could have been avoided.  I'm so grateful that Dr. D was willing to assume my care and fix me up, because the complication I was having was not going to magically disappear on its own. 

Well, there is more I wanted to write, but I have to shower and head to work!  Enjoy this day that we've been gifted with, ladies.

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Sandy, it's a shame that we hear more and more stories similiar to ours, but at the same time, SO happy we have all found our NOLA docs and are now in their AMAZING hands and care!! It seems there is nothing they can't at least make better than it was and most times, it's way beyond our greatest expectations!! God bless them!!

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

I can't tell you how many times it took for me to actually hit the "submit" button on this post... It started out that I was just feeling a bit nostalgic and wanted to share something with all of my NOLA sisters about today. Those of you that I am connected with on facebook will also see that I have shared it on my page there. I feel such a special connection with all of you, like no others in the world, a feeling that, some things, only you guys could possibly understand or relate to because of your own battle with this horrible disease. None the less, it turned into SO much more... and an incredibly LONG post... not sure where it all came from, it just kept flowing, so I kept writing... and here we are. And so I'll begin. 

As I said on facebook...  "28 years ago today my Mother lost her brave fight against breast cancer. I miss her more than ever, but continue to draw strength through the tenacious courage I saw in her throughout her battle. She was an amazing woman and I was truly blessed to have had her as a Mother for those precious 12 years of my life!!! I love you Mom xo"

With that said, I too was so saddened to hear of the news of Elizabeth Edwards passing. It angers me to no end, but for a different reason than most I have read... I agree that millions and millions of dollars are being spent on research each year and yet here we are over 50 years later and they still have not only... NOT found a cure for ANY cancer, but no REAL advancements in treatment options either! Sure, they have tweaked them, tried to lessen the effects of the horrific side effects from chemo or come out with other kinds, then hormone suppressants... sure they've come out with several different ones over time, then radiation... learned to be more precise and targeted, tweaking the strength etc... but the bottom line is... it's still chemo and/or radiation. Period. Seriously? That's the BEST "standard of care" they have to offer... STILL?

The sad thing is, there are doctors that have come out with what they feel are ways to combat this disease, all cancers, not just breast and in SOME cases even cure. But they are considered quacks by most medical professionals. And we the public will never hear of most of them, because the pharmaceutical companies want to keep it that way. Most of my knowledge on this subject has come from vast research via the Internet and/or books, one particular book being "Knockout" by Suzanne Somers. Anyone diagnosed with cancer owes it to themself to read it and also check out... http://www.burzynskimovie.com/ and then.. if felt compelled, go to his website to view his clinic, http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/ph/clinical-trials-antineoplastons.html or you can view the movie trailer on youtube, be sure to view Part 1 and Part 2, just type in the movie and they will come up.

(Otherwise, here is a brief document about Dr. S. Burzynski from his site about what he is known for. For those of you that may be interested, but don't want to have to go search out the info...

"Antineoplastons (ANP) are peptides and amino acid derivatives, discovered by Dr. S. Burzynski, M.D., Ph.D. in 1967.  Dr. Burzynski first identified naturally occurring peptides in the human body that control cancer growth. He observed that cancer patients typically had deficiency of certain peptides in their blood as compared to healthy individuals.  According to Dr. Burzynski, Antineoplastons are components of a biochemical defense system that controls cancer without destroying normal cells.  Chemically, the Antineoplastons include peptides, amino acid derivatives and organic acids. They occur naturally in blood and urine and they are reproduced synthetically for medicinal use.  The name of Antineoplastons comes from their functions in controlling neoplastic, or cancerous, cells (anti-neoplastic cells agents).
    Antineoplastons act as molecular switches, which turn off life processes in abnormal cells and force them to die through apoptosis (programmed death of a cell). While they trigger the death of cancer cells, they do not inhibit normal cell growth. They specifically target cancer cells without harming healthy cells.  It is generally known that the cancerous process results from increased activity of oncogenes and decreased expression of tumor suppressor genes. Antineoplastons “turn on” tumor suppressor genes and “turn off” oncogenes restoring the proper balance in gene expression."
    <http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/assets/documents/ANP_mechamism_of_activity.pdf> )

Can you tell I kinda believe in the guy? Lol He's just one of many doctors out there from what I'm reading in Suzanne's book, but he has been the most public figure I've found yet and finally had SOME success with the FDA. I actually have to admit I first learned of him from Anthony Robbins via facebook?! No kidding! Unfortunately, like SO many other things, it takes money, money, money. Anything not approved by the FDA is just not going to be covered by insurance, which again is just so sad. The pharmaceutical companies run this country and it is "my" belief that is the reason there is NO cure for cancer (that we know about yet), because they simply will NOT allow it, because they make billions upon billions of dollars each year in cancer treatments! It's simply a cash cow for them! I'm afraid we may never see a cure for cancer come out to the public, approved by the FDA, in our lifetime, perhaps your children will. There IS hope! It can't stay this way forever, nothing does. Change will inevitably happen, with time. It always does. That my friends is what is so beautiful about the word EVOLVE!! 

I feared expressing my opinion on this subject, as it is so controversial and so personal, something all of us are very passionate about. But I also feel like it's time... I have to take the risk... I have to share my thoughts, because if it helps just ONE of you... just ONE... if it saves just ONE of your LIVES... then it was worth the risk. Because "sometimes" with risk... comes GREAT reward!!

For some out there, money is no object, they can afford to travel and to visit some of these doctors and/or centers without worry of insurance. Thank God for them, because they then will be one more testimonial out there, one more voice for the rest of us that there are other options, ones that work, that are NOT evasive and damaging to the human body. Just like we are spreading awareness on other options for breast reconstruction. I'm sure some people out there have their doubts about it, about us... but we KNOW the truth. We researched our options for breast restoration and we found the BEST!! So let's at least be open to other possibilities on treatment. They may not be right for you or your loved one, but at least you covered all your options to make the most informed decisions you could. If money was NO object for me, I would have been on the first flight to Burzynski's Clinic as soon as I learned of him and then I could personally be one of the testimonials, I could be a voice!! I haven't lost all hope yet, where there's a will... there's usually a way. I just pray about it and leave it in God's hands. If it's meant to be, He'll make it happen. 

I love and respect EACH one of you and YOUR choices, as they are your own. Please know that this comes from the deepest part of my heart because I care SO deeply and So comprehensively about each one of you, that I only want to give us all the BEST chance we have at conquering this awful disease! Thank you for letting me share my non bias thoughts and opinions with you. God bless each and everyone of you!!

I think my Mom was behind my passion & my strength to share this message today... perhaps there's a little of her voice in here as well. I'm listening Mom, I'm listening. :-) 

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Oh MY... 2 hours have went by and no one has posted a single thing... for this discussion board... that's highly unusual? Uh-Oh... I hope I don't end up regretting my post... :-( 

I hope you're all just really busy... enjoying life... ;-) 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Oh Kim! Your post was wonderful and so passionate. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Please don't ever worry that anyone here will be judging anyone else for their beliefs. A lot of us believe there are many political factors involved in this cancer business that may be suppressing promising treatments. Remember, all of us went out on a limb and did things others might think were crazy. But WE know better! And don't ever second-guess your mom, if she was behind your fervor today!

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Thank you Eve!!! Love you girl!! This is so good to hear!!

And she was... definitely behind it. Thanks again for the courage Mom... ;-)  

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited December 2010

Ladies~

I have not posted in quite a long while, but have kept up with the thread! Congrat's to all of you that have had the incredible fortune of being in the hands of the folks in NOLA (LOVE them!), and best of luck to those of you coming up!!

KIM~I thank you for your post, and honestly could not agree with you more. Where oh where is ALL of the money going raised each year for research?? The last "breakthrough" we had was the introduction of Herceptin for those that were found to be Her-2-Nu positive. Every year in October we are invaded with the color "pink" - on every conceivable product and item - billions are raised, but as far as treatment options are concerned, we are in the same place as we were when I was diagnosed the first time in '98. It is maddening! 

Last week I lost a friend to bc - her story was so similar to that of Elizabeth Edwards. Lucy's Oncologist told her "further treatment was not an option" - she was dead ten days later. Lucy leaves behind a husband and a 16 year old daughter. So sad, so very very sad.

A few weeks ago I was told by a woman at a social gathering that....."your cancer WILL come back, no matter what you do, IT WILL COME BACK." Her statement through me for a loop, that's for sure. My hope is that I prove her wrong.....very wrong.

Thanks for listening ladies - I look forward to making the next reunion!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

What an excellent question, where DOES all the money raised go?????

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Kim, what a wonderful post.  I am sure your  mother would be so proud!  I am afraid that I must agree with everything you said. Cancer is a money making business.  I am approaching the 3 million dollar mark myself. Fortunately I have had wonderful insurance that has paid the bills.  But that is $3 million paid out to poison my body and to cause irreparable damage. Of course that just means there is more money to be made addressing the damage caused by my treatments.  Don't get me wrong.  I am so thankful to have been able to receive the care that I received but I believe with all my heart that there are better, kinder, more effective treatments out there.  Forget treatments -- I believe the cure is out there lost in the political machine this country has become.  Just sayin'...

-- Ann 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

LouAnn.............. WTH?  Did anyone around you respond?  I have nothing nice to say to this woman so I pray she NEVER crosses my path....there is simply NO need for that....whether she believes that herself or.....???  I guess this is one of those "NEVER cease to amaze me" moments....................UGGGGG!

Ann Thinking of you and that is great all can be done at SCSH!

Jinger good luck to you as well.....My stage 2 was dec10th,2009......OMG another celebration is in order on Friday woo hoo!

Kim, share what you need to share.  I DO think there is a lot of stuff that is not mainstream that SHOULD be considered. It is so very frustrating too the lack of advances....or accepted advances....what happened w/ the vaccine at U of Arkansas?  Need to go back to that thread...that looked quite promising.

Well, better get back to Christmas decorations...which I have entirely TOO many of!  But it WILL be lovely...just in FINISH IT! mode.  

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your mom at such a young age.  And I loved reading your long post!

LouAnn, that is just unreal that someone would say that to you! PLus we know it is simply not true.  The things people say...

I just friend requested a whole bunch of you on FB. 

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2010

Kim,

My college years involved medical training as well as business. Several courses I took in college involved management in organizations.   One thing that is greatly encouraged in any organization is the exchange of ideas.  Brainstorming and the sharing of ideas, thoughts and opinions, is what brings about innovation and new discoveries.   One thing I learned about brain storming techniques- no idea, thought or contribution is wrong or insignificant.  I realize my training was in organizational management, but I often think the exchange of information can be applied in real world situations as well. 

This forum involves the exchange of ideas and opinions that will help us all through this journey.  We show respect to all that share.  I greatly admire your willingness to share this information with us. I for one THANK YOU.

Laurie

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2010

Kim- there is one other thing that came to mind when I read your entry...

I recall, after just learning of my DX, how shocked I was by the lack of additional treatment options available to women after my very good friend Tammy, died of BC 25 years ago.  Every where I have turned, over the last couple decades,  I see money being raised for the treatment and cure of BC.  Yet, after all this time, women are still fighting and fearful, of this dreadful disease.  

The fact that we have progressed so slowly, in seeking out the cure for BC, really makes me start to wonder what is wrong with the system.  What if all the researchers / scientists pooled their resources and knowledge and cooperated with one another to achieve the final goal- THE CURE?  What if.....

Laurie

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Just got out of the shower and had an opportunity to really see where Dr S had done his magic marker.  Looks like I won't be finding a comfortable position for a while!  He was great.  He did tons of marking and I asked about the knees and the back of the thighs.  So he marked those areas.  I ended up marked from the knees up to the breasts, front and back, with the exception of the arms.  

Now that was a huge disappointment.  For one thing he decided he would not recommend the Lymph Node Transfer at this time (his words) because I am able to manage my Lymphedema so well.  Which is true.  I can manage it but it takes constant awareness and immediate response if I feel that little tingle or the slightest ache.  Of course, I guess I should just be happy that my is easily maintained.  I know everyone is not so fortunate.  And I have had to do the wrapping and massage and on and on so I know first hand how truly fortunate I am. But not only does he not want to do the surgery but he also refuses to do any type of lypo or reduction surgery on my arms.  He says he would ABSOLUTELY NEVER do something like that on a patient who has lymphedema because the risk is too great of further compromising the lymphatic system and making the lymphedema worse. Does this make sense?  I mean, I know the logistics but I was almost positive that he had done lypo on some of you ladies that had/has lymphedema.  Was I  mistaken?  I know I could just go back through the posts and see specifically who I am referring to but I have to go to bed soon. So I was hoping you could just share with me how you got him to do it?  Or were you Dr D's patient.  I just don't understand.  And I was so unprepared for that disappointing news  My mind just went blank.  Now I have a killer headache from worrying and stressing about it.  

Just for those of you who may be interested in the lymph node transfer surgery, I met with the therapist, Jen, this morning and she did her measurements and told me about the surgery.  Here is the basic information.  The nodes are transfered in a flap with it's own blood supply.  They are taken from the stomach area because that area is the least compromising of the lymphatic system.  They have a 100% success rate so far as they have never made the situation worse,  There is either improvement or no difference and most of the time there is improvement if not reversal.  After surgery you have to have your arm wrapped for 8 weeks.  Five times a week for the first 3 weeks a and then 4 times a week for 2 weeks and then 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks.  In patients like me with mild lymphedema they often see complete reversal of the lymphedema. Which further baffles me as to why Dr S didn't want to go ahead with the surgery.  In hindsight I suppose I should have questioned Dr S more but I was just caught so off guard that I wasn't thinking right.  I will ask him about it in the morning before surgery. 

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Oh, I forgot the best thing.  Dr S said I won't have any drains!  Yea Rah for me!

-- Ann 

• K9Kim
    edited December 2010

Just popping on quick, I'm heading out the door to go get my honey from the airport!! He's finally coming home!! YAY! And YAY that I am well enough to go get him!! Hurrah for Levaquin... good stuff!!

I just had to take a minute to say, as I sat and read each one of your replies to my post, tears streamed down my face. I can't tell you how gratifying that was for me... I went out on a limb, I spoke from my heart and it was recieved better than I could ever have hoped for!! How could I have thought than any one of you would say anything otherwise?! You're all such amazing women!!! 

So, thanks Mom... :-) Once again... she was right. She always was!! ;-) 

Best of luck to all of you in surgery this week!! Yay for you ANN... NO drains!!! I'm envious!!! Lol 

Good night ladies and God Bless!! xo

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Ann - my dear friend Betsy is there for stage 2, staying at the hope lodge. She has Dr D and just had her surgery today! Not sure if you're staying at the hope lodge or not.

I hate to say it but I am in complete agreeance with Dr S on the lymph node transfer. Mine is mild but annoying . . with that said I would not be able to do the procedure knowing there is no guarantee it wouldn't get worse. I'd hate to compromise it further then regret it for the rest of my life. I know you wanted it so much, and maybe you can talk to Dr S some more and get the answers your wanting to put your mind at ease. Good luck tomorrow :) 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

You ladies are going to think I'm NUTS :) Stacy emailed to check on me, I wrote her back just now and said that I'm doing great but my girdle/dom is too big (which is good) and rolls down in the back. My 2 weeks is up, so no big deal. Except I did buy a tank top to wear (like spanx) and it hits right at the hips which is uncomfortable and rolls up to my waist, so it hits the lipo spots and incision areas. She wrote back right away and is sending me a smaller size tomorrow in the mail. I'm so excited, I just love the girdle/dom!!! :)

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

I have 2 more weeks in a binder (low abdominal hernia repair)....I was sent one with 3 flaps rather than the usual 2 . Just wanted to comment that it is SO much more comfortable than the 2-flap.  It stays in place much better and has a wider coverage.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Ann - I am not surprised at all that he did not recommend it. When I spoke to him last... or maybe I had spoken to Dr. Massey about it (?)... or maybe from an article they had written... good grief, for the life of me, I cannot remember... one of them had said that the people who respond best to lymph node transplants are those that do not respond well to traditional therapy. It sounds like you are responding/have responded to traditional therapy. Which is SO great for you! I have not had that kind of luck... but I am hoping that soon they will be able to grow some lymph nodes in a petri dish from stem cells (I banked my daughter's cord blood... for them specifically, not me - but if they could grow me a node or two... I would definitely tap into it!) and then transplant those! This way there wouldn't be the worry that a new lymphedema could develop in the lower extremities. I can also see why he would not want to do surgery on your arms - or lipo for that matter. However, he didn't say he wouldn't do lipo anywhere else - correct? If you are marked up all over - including your knees, then he is doing lipo elsewhere - just not on your arms. Lipo is a bit controversial - in general it is not recommended for those of us with lymphedema, however there are currently clinical trials for lymphedema that include lipo to the arms... So go figure. Not sure I would do that one either... too permanent! I do like accupuncture, if you ever think you need to try something else! Good luck tomorrow!!

Kim - I think you will find a pretty open minded group here... well, for the most part, unless someone starts dissing on our docs! I am right with you... where does the $$ go? Who knows... but they continue to advance in other areas... and like I said, not such great advancements when you later find out that things like... oh, the bottle you have been feeding your baby with is made from a plastic linked to an increased incidence of breast cancer (everyone should switch to glass baby bottles and stainless steel or glass drinking glasses... btw - just my 2 cents there!). Anyway - you shouldn't have to feel like you have to hold back here... heaven knows I usually don't!

LOUANN - Did it take every ounce of restraint you had not to smack the woman that said this to you? I have a girlfriend who's oncologist told her the same thing at her 5 year check up! She is out about 8 years now, but I told her at the time that I would have been finding a new oncologist. There are many, many, many women who end up dying of other things... like OLD AGE, and never have their cancer come back. Good Grief! I would like to meet her and give her a piece of my mind... even if she really does believe that - despite that she doesn't know what the h*ll she is talking about, where would she ever think it is OKAY to say that to a breast cancer survivor?! Look, we all know as a BC survivor that anything is possible... could it come back? Yes. Could it not come back? Yes. We don't need someone telling us the worst case scenario! I think all of us have thoughts about that enough!

Jinger - You are on deck...!