Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011

I just was over at the DIEP 2010 forum and someone there had posted a link to a DIEP surgery performed live at Beth Israel, Oregon.  Definitely it is very graphic but I found it extremely interesting to watch.  

http://www.orlive.com/chp/videos/breast-reconstruction-condensed 

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2011

fourboymom- Enjoyed your post.  I had the same experience with my sister.  During our Christmas Eve family get together I dragged my sister in the bathroom and flashed my breasts.  You should have seen her face, it turned bright red and she was saying the "Oh my God" thing much like you described above.  Dr. Sullivan is surely an artist- and that was after stage 1.  According to the nurses at the center it will be even better after Stage 2.  The outcome was far better than I had imagined.  I love my new breasts.

Nordy- My instincts about people are usually right on.  After talking with you on the phone and reading your posts I can't help but think what a WONDERFUL parent you would be.  Can any of us really identify the "perfect parent"- there is no such thing. Nordy you are a compassionate, caring and loving person. No matter which way you choose just remember that. 

On a different note- Does anyone have an idea of what recovery from Stage 2 involves.  Drains? compression garments? Days at hospital? Days until post-op appointment with physician? I There was one thing that I wasn't counting on post Stage 1.  After surgery I felt like I just had been whip lashed.  My neck and shoulder were strained.  During my surgery they had to turn me over a couple times - mastectomy -  hip flap - back to breast reconstruction. Perhaps I should ask for a neck brace or something to support my neck.  Anyone else have this happen?

Prior to today I was happy about my surgery results and recovery.  Today, I feel extremely low. Last night my 15 year old daughters dog was ran over by a car and died.  That dog was with my daughter every waking moment she was at home.  It followed her everywhere.  It slept with her.  For 7 hours straight I listened to my daughters hysteria / panic / crying.  Finally at bed time I insisted she take a sleeping pill.  She crawled in bed with me and I held her close until she fell asleep.  She is still sleeping at what is now 1:00 AM and I am wondering how we are going to get through this day.  She is definitely staying home from school. My other two kids are very distraught as well.  If I could breathe.... just breathe.  Thanks for listening.

dbdaze- I saw that graphic video myself.  Did we really go through that?     

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

lciscarroll--my heart goes out to you and your daughter.  The unexpected death of a close pet is close to unbearable.  As I'm sure you are aware, time helps diminish the intense aching but our bestest pets are never forgotten.  My thoughts are with you guys as you deal with making it through this day.

BTW, that's exactly what went through my head when I watched the video - "Did  I really go through THAT?"  No matter how graphic and difficult it was to watch at times, I found it so informative and glad I know exactly what they did.

I loved the "OMG" stories you and fourboymom shared.  How fun is that!!  Too bad we can't walk around showing off the doc's artistic talents.  It's funny, but with all the undressing and  bearing of my breasts that I've had to do this year, I think I could easily become a nudist.  I feel like I have nothing to hide anymore!  LOL

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2011

Cracking up reading about the showing and tell!ing. I  have 3 very close friends who all live in other towns (and who took shifts begin with me for stage one) and they kpet saying they couldn't wait to see my new breasts. So I sent them a photo over e-mail last night! They are just amazed. One of them asked if I was nervous sending such a photo over e-mail. And dbdaze I feel just like you. I have nothing to hide anymore either!

lciscarroll, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. Sounds just devastating. All those details about stage 2 seem to be completely dependent on what you have done. I had lots of breast revisions (lift/reduction), some minor abdominal scar revisions and a bunch of lipo. I was in the hospital overnight. I had 2 breast drains but they weren't putting out much so they took them out before I left the hospital. I ddn't have a post op appt, adnt I think they are generally optional after stage 2. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2011

Forgot that I wanted to ask about others' experience with compression garments after lipo. My post op instructions say to wear the girdle for 2 weeks post op. I am 2 weeks out today. All the obvious swelling seems to be gone, but it seems like a lot of people posting on this thread have worn the garments for a long time. Or am I getting confused with compression after stage one? Any advice/words of wisdom?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2011

Fourboy, what a nice story! From disfigured to restored! You will see you get those same looks (maybe not the gasps!) from med professionals who see you. I do. It's very gratifying. 

Caroll - I am so sorry about your daughter and the doggie! How sad. :(  I hope everything heals in time. About stage 2, it really depends on what you have done... If you have plication or lowering of belly incision, you will have drains that stick around for a while. GAP revisions require drains for a bit. Some people have very light revisions done and no drains even! Whatever you have done, it is a much better recovery than stage 1. Hope this helps.

Amy, I was always feeling so DONE with compression garments, I stopped as soon as I could. Others though have stated here (Ann I think) that the longer you wear them the better your results. Some have had docs who want them to be worn 3-6 months. I think helps prevent any fluid getting in the tissues and gives a better result. Something like this! 

Daze, I saw that video before my Stage 1, not sure that was a good idea! However, once they zoom in it is quite interesting. It does show you all of what is involved!

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

So I wonder would wearing the compression garment longer (I only wore it for 2 weeks) after Stage 1, kept me from developing the "muffin top" above my abdominal incision?  Will Dr.  S be able to reduce or, hopefully, remove this during Stage 2?  

New Year's Resolution: exercise daily!  Today was day 3 of using the elliptical.  I find "canned" exercise so terribly boring but I'm really hoping I can stay focused on the outcome.  Day 1, I started with only 10 minutes so I wouldn't have such bad memory that I wouldn't attempt a second day!  LOL  Day 2: I added 2 minutes and Day 3: 2 minutes more.  My plan is to continue to add 2 minutes each day until I reach 30 minutes and then remain there for a bit before adding more.  I'm really focusing on using my arms to push and pull as well as my leg motions.  I also have been dedicating 2 minutes each day to reverse motion -- OUCH!!    Now if I could just remove all the left over chocolates from the holidays.  I'm afraid if I throw them out, I will just go looking for them in the morning!!  LOL

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Daze, ask Dr. S all these things in your preop. I think they are pretty good about accomodating, and you may be surprised that he covers most of what you want with the blue pen!

There is a thread called "Motivation" where we all post our exercise! If you want to join! It helps me! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2011

DB - Beth Israel is in NY... the OR stands for operating room live. Just an FYI! I have watched that, and I would watch it again, because that Dr. is so dang cute! LOL

Laurie - My heart breaks for your daughter and all of your family. Give her big hugs from all of us. Huge hugs. As for your stiff neck - I would not ask for a brace - but I would ask for a referral to physical therapy (everyone on here already knows I am PRO PT!!!). They can do some manual work (find a good manual therapist) and loosen everything up. Being on the table for so long can really make you sore! Hang in there. If you lived closer I would just work on you! AND are you 3 weeks post op today?! Look how fast this is going... 3 more weeks...!

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

Nordy -- thanks for the embarrassing correction.  I won't even try to pretend I knew that!  But I have to agree with you -- that is one terribly cute doctor!!!  ~ Debbie

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2011

Nordy Nordy Nordy, I have seen you with those beautiful girls and after spending time with your family I could not think of a more deserving family to adopt or care for foster children, I mean that from the bottom of my heart. You would be perfect.

I am suppose to hear from the center this week in regards to stage 2B. Right now I am going thru some other issues with frequent falls. I am seeing a neurologist to try to figure it out. One thing he said that I thought was interesting was that even thou I have had the preventative mastectomy in there were any mutant cells that were going to cause the breast cancer they could be attaching my nerves. But I have awful tingling in my legs and hands, And Nordy I am going to PT to get a safe gait walking evaluation too. I was suppose to go today but both Andrew and I are ill so I am going to reschedule.

Carrol I am so sorry for the lost of your daughters dog. It is amazing how pets become such a part of the family and when they die it is like you have lost a member of your family. You and your daughter are in my prayers.

Nordy let me know what you hear from insurance I hope it is good.

Minnesota I hope you and Gary had a blessed holiday. I was hoping to see you for coffee when you came thru Elmira to Ithaca. Has your son made the move to CA yet. You must be very proud of him and your daughter.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2011

Ok ladies. Here is one I haven't seen a post for yet. Hairy boobs! Actually I only have one hairy boob, the one that came from my belly. There is quite a lot of it and it's long :(

I'm going back for stage 2 in three weeks. I called Laura ( from the Center) today to see if I need to get the hair removed before or after the surgery. She told me not to touch it until afterwards when everything has healed and then I can get it lasered.

Has anyone had experience with this?  Was the laser successful? Any advice for me? 

dbdaze - I have been wearing a compression garment now for 10 weeks. Yes, you read right 10 weeks! The reason for it is because I still have one seroma on my butt cheek which was aspirated today and still put out 80 cc's. I guess the silver lining to wearing this thing all this time is that my belly ( I had DIEP also) is looking rather flat and I feel "thinner" thru the waist than when I take it off for a while. I started exercising last week with pantyhose (control top) on. That seems to keep the waist flatter too and keeps any potential muffin top in check.

You guys all crack me up with your comments on jeans. I have always had a big round butt so I have NEVER had the problem of them falling down. I'm so curious to see what happens after stage 2 and the magic lipo wand. Skinny jeans here I come :) 

Thanks. Rasta Tit :-) Cool

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2011

lciscarroll I am so sorry! And nothing hurts a mom like one of her kids hurting!  And speaking of moms.... Nordy?  The fact that you are so concerned about not being a good mom?  Just shows how caring a mom you are!  Dogs or kids....whatever you decide to give your love to will be very lucky!

We are all lucky here - to have survived, to have found our awesome doctors, and mostly to have found each other!

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Liz - see, only 80 cc's this time! That is way down from when I talked to you last! Hurray on progress! One day you will wake up and it will just be gone. Just wait and see.

Gin, Sally - Thank you. I DO love my girls, that is without a doubt. They are my greatest "possession"... not that I own them... but, well, you know what I mean. They make me laugh, they make me cry, they make me yell like a mad woman... LOLOLOLOL But mostly they just make me smile and sigh with contentment. This is the best job I have ever had... and I really used to love my old job! 

Sally - have you had an MRI of your back? Have you had blood work and EMG to rule out things like Guillian Barre Syndrome? Did you have a cold, flu or infection prior to all of this happening? Or recent vaccinations? Frequent falls with numbness/weakness in the feet/legs and then progressing inward (think moving up the legs and up the arms) can be indicative of Guillian Barre and some of the other neurologic disorders. When is your consult with the Neurologist? Please keep me posted. And you do know you can call me anytime, right? Just remember we are 3 hours behind you!

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

DB - PS, I was talking about Dr. Mark Smith, not the other docs in that video... He is pretty easy on the eyes!

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Liz, I remember somebody complaining about hairy nipples I think. Not sure if we ever heard the answer! Let us know what you do in the end! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2011

Liz, your "rasta tit" cracked me up. Got a dreadlock going there? How about a mullet!! We want pictures!

Sally, did you do a Taxol chemo that causes neuropathy? If that's not the cause, you'll probably get a brain MRI to rule out MS. By now I'm sure you've picked up all throw rugs, etc that could cause a fall. I'm very worried about you. Please keep us posted.

I was watching What Not to Wear last night, and they said the average woman on the show tries on 20 different pairs/styles of jeans before finding the "right" pair. But they haven't seen any of us buttless wonders on the show. Someone nominate me, please??

Anne

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2011

Hi all,  I am way behind on these posts but wanted to weigh in on the jeans.  Talbot's have launched a new denim line and focused their whole new look around denim.  I am a Talbots girl, because I am very short (4'10") and have a had time finding stylish clothes for a petite women. Here is a little information about the new denim from Talbot's.  Might want to give them a try.  I don't find they are any more expensive than some of the designer jean some of you have been speaking about. The Heritage fit sits comfortable at the waist and the Signature fits slightly below the waist.  They've adjusted the side seams and re-proportioned the pockets for a look that complements every body type. And the shortened fly stitch, reworked waistband and redistributed fabric lengthen the leg, giving the appearance of being taller and leaner.  Not all stores will carry all their styles and washes.  Oh they also come in boot, and straight leg and a "boyfriend" style. You can order on-line if your store doesn't carry what you want.  OK that's my 2 cents worth.

DBDaze,  I love your description of your Barbie boobs  I never thought of them like that, but now I will refer to them as my Barbie boobs. LOL!  Ya know, I kind of like mine too.  Never have to worry about nips being displayed through your t-shirt.  However, you probably won't win the wet t-shirt contest, LOL.  But, with all that said, I am probably going to finish my journey and get the whole deal...tatts and all.  But, at this point I do agree that their not a bad deal!  Let me know what you decide later on. Linda

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

LOL. Rasta tit. LOL. Liz, we do need to see that on the picture forum, fer sher.

Ann? How goes things with you and Susie??? We have heard NOTHING so are all sitting on the edge of our seats for Pete sakes!  Our early Jan girls.... 

• treerock
    treerock Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2011

Reading everyone's post sure makes my day, you all may not realize, so Thank you very much. I donot post often- why dont really know for sure. 

I can tell you the pajama jeans-got a pair a while ago, not a fan.

Compression garments- 2nd stage still wearing some type- it helps me last thru out the day-especially for long days, but prefer the type from Kohl's or JC Penny's that just is like a tube top for my middle.

Nordy- I've read some of your situation with insurance-about a network wavier? Is that correct?, Now insurance is saying that is all they will pay because I choose out of network provide-no one in my understanding performs what they do anywhere close to Kansas, if they do it certainly would have been good to know. Although- I can't say how enough how glad I am that I went to NOLA for it, they are the best. the  So know I have to prove their was no such provider within 50 miles-as why it was nessasary to go where I did. As if we have nothing else to do in life-now that we have gone to the extent we have just to save it! We were told in advance that our out of pocket would be 30%-which was a huge undertaking for us, as it would be for most. Now they are saying we've reached our limit and won't pay anymore... And now it kinda provides "surprise" bills- I call one place they say call the other-round and round in circles they make you go, Errr.... so perhaps I missed it-but would you mind sharing any sugestions on what to say or not to say, in any letter writing- or any other advice. I know you are very busy -but would appreciate any imput.

And-by the way- in the little I've read-everything the girls have been blogging in requards to parenting I am sure to be true, I know for myself -many times I felt like I could be a better parent, or felt I could have handled a situation better, etc... ( that is just the humanside, period.) or looking back wondered maybe I should done this or that. now when I look back and or talk with my grown children- they tell me as well as others-how much they know that they were loved and so forther.. they know I wasn't perfect and they are glad of that-and when they get older you will know that to. I think the fact that you consistently address their behaviour is point in case. My opionon has always been if you didn't care or love them-you wouldn't think to even say anything, cuz' you just wouldn't care to even realize it. Not saying it isn't hard-or that you won't feel the way you do-you will.  Unfortunetly -someone always makes the paperwork and required what ever  be it adoption's/fostering or insurance company's or other such... is never easy.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2011

I had to invest in the heavy-duty spanx. The lighter weight versions didn't cut it for me, compression-wise. It seemed my body "craved" that compression. I probably will need to buy some new ones, though, for my surgery in March. I think my others got washed and worn just a little too much!

Anne

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

2T, Always skinny. Another one to check out! NYDG, Buckle, Express, Always Skinny!!!! 

Hmm about your swelling. I had a 2B surgery end of Oct but am no longer swollen. Was yours phase 2? Did you have a lot done? Has the swelling gone down at all? The most comfortable compression garment (that really really compressed) that I ever wore was the Marena garments. If you consider this, get the one WITHOUT the zipper - you only need that if you have drains to deal with. The fabric is soft, smooth and really compresses, but is very comfortable (for a compression garment) Prior I had the DOM and Spanx. I agree, Spanx does not compress too much, but is way more comfortable than the DOM. 

• Bonnygg
    Bonnygg Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2011

I have a question about the NOLA experience.

About how far in advance are they booking DIEP surguries? I'm in a job I hate but am staying put until I can get my DIEP done due to insurance. So, I am in a hurry to get it done.

Thanks all.

• treerock
    treerock Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2011

2tzus- I also have very simular situation with my stomach area-also had quite a bit of lipo, stage 2 on Nov. 17-even thou I used the arnica and the brusing seem to fade quick at the time-I still seem to have this brusing look that has faded mostly except in a bright day light... I use my spanx most day's particularly on long days- and feel good after a night's rest, towards the end I am not only ready to lose any compression garments but bra's or undies as well, any confinement such as elastic-seem's my body need's the break. I am relieved to hear I am not alone, DH seems to think this shouldn't be for me he isn't use to me in being in this need to heal mode, as I am generally never like this-in all our years together he has been the one having major things to recuperate from,,, the tables have turned-very interesting.

Another thought on the jeans, I am trying to hold out in purchasing any yet-as I think my shape may still change yet (but I am getting tired of hiking them up or certain ones rubbing in the wrong incision spot's), since I seem to need to use the compression/spanx type wear. I also have to really watch how much food I consume at one meal, find that my portions have to be smaller or I end up really hurting-benefit's of plication  so it seems.

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Hmmm... swelling... maybe try the Arnica again? I took it off and on for quite a while after stage 2 - but I did not have plication and not too much lipo.

Treerock - where do you live in Kansas? Here is a website that lists all of the MD's that do DIEP. If there is nobody in a 50 mile radius, that should prove it for you. (sorry you have to copy and paste and can't just click on the link - Mozilla makes this impossible!) 

www.breastrecon.com/id10.html

It looks like there is only one doc in Kansas that does DIEP and she is in Kansas City. If she was not doing them in Kansas (looks like she was originally in Maryland) at the time of your stage 1, then it should be a no-brainer for them. I don't understand why they make everything so difficult for breast cancer survivors. Seriously. It is not like we want Pamela Anderson boobs. Really. But BOOBS in general are nice to have. And why do we have to be subjected to implants because the insurance company thinks that is what we should have? Seriously, this is BS. Is the Center helping you with any of this? I am sure they have written all of the appropriate letters. Who else had an insurance company that did that???? Oh, yes, Trishia. Maybe she can shed some light on what she sent to them. I sent her some articles regarding your rights as a patient (although my insurance company happens not to give a sh*t about those articles as I have used them without success... )You know what... I think I am going to start lobbying for more reconstructive rights. Time to start bombarding my congressmen/women... actually I think they are all women in my state - with letters and letting them know what kind of stuff goes on. Not that they care... LOL... I think most politicians these days don't really care about their constituents. I don't know what happened to all of them. And I am not talking about any party in general - I am talking about ALL the parties. 

Okay... so, I have had doubts about my parenting abilities... thanks to the adoption paperwork. BUT I had my daughters at swim lessons tonight and realized that I am not all that bad. You should have heard the lady in the locker room - yelling at her daughter, calling her a liar because her shoes come untied everyday at school and "there is no way your shoes would come untied unless you took them off because I double knotted them and they don't come untied. And I know, because I know everything..." blah, blah blah. She made her daughter (about 5 or 6 years old) cry, told her she was a big baby and a liar. Seriously. My heart broke in half. I am kicking myself for not saying anything, but I actually question the stability of the parent - she might go crazy and kill me or something..! Next time I am going to tell her if she doesn't want her kids that my husband and I would love to take them off her hands since we can't have anymore of our own. I just couldn't believe it. I looked at my 5 year old and said, "I guess mommy is not that bad." She just looked at me and said, "No. You are a good mommy. You are not mean like that. I love you." So... have I mentioned that I love my kids lately?

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

2tzus, I wish you were going too!  I am preparing-- I dragged my suitcase downstairs today and started packing.  In addition to the usual, I am bringing wedding accessories to display next Wednesday night at Pat O'Brien's.   We have a show banner and I need to call tomorrow to see if I can hang it over my table.  If they allow that, I'll overnight back on Thursday because my daughter and two employees are working another show at the L.A. Convention Center next weekend and they'll need it.  I packed a bunch of NOLA-themed wedding favors and we have this gorgeous collection of fleur de lis toasting flutes, cake servers and place card holders that people in Louisiana regularly order, so I am bringing those as well.  We made "New Orleans Bride" rhinestone tank tops, which did well last year.   I may have to ship some of the stuff back home after the show, since my husband won't be able to help with luggage on the way home.  When we get back, the new building should be ready for us and the big move will begin.  I'm excited and very nervous.  My trainer has us write goals on a white board, and I wrote that my goal for the next month is to not GAIN any weight during this stressful time.   Everyone else wrote "Lose 15 pounds by Feb 1st"  "get a new job" or something like that.  I just need to get myself through this without pulling my hair out!

As far as your muffin top, yes, that is swelling and it can last for many months, so don't worry!  The lymphatic system has been interrupted so fluid accumulates above the incision.  Massaging your adbomen and then softly sweeping upward on the left side should help move the fluid through your lymph nodes.  If you have any swelling below the incision, you can do brushing strokes downward into the groin/upper thigh.  Salty foods, exercise and even a lot of standing will aggravate the swelling, but it will eventually stop accumulating.  It's really important to continue to drink a lot of water and go for walks everyday if you don't get other exercise.  It's been so cold that we have not been very faithful about our daily walking, but I have been much better this time about drinking water, and I have not had near the amount of swelling I did after stage I or when Dr. D had to reopen the ab incision and clean it all out.  I have not bothered with taking Bromelain this time, so I don't think it must have done me any good in the past.  The other thing I have done differently this time is that I have been massaging my entire trunk and the incision at least twice per day, starting as soon as the glue came off at about three weeks.  I was very gentle at first and now I do it pretty vigorously, using the Tropolactive cream.  The scars seem to be narrower this time, so I do think it is helping.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited January 2011

Hiya Nordy!!   I wrote a message to you last week about what a wonderful mommy you are and I guess it never posted. because I cannot find it here!  I think you are both great parents---it's very obvious that you love your daughters and you are very thoughtful about how to discipline them.  My kids are all grown and we had some pretty wild times thanks to two of them having ADHD, so I found myself admiring your patience with your girls, and the gentle manner in which you speak to them.  Please don't doubt yourself, and if you want to adopt bigger kids, I have three available.  All they really need now is money.  LOL

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Sandy! I don't want kids that big!!! LOL Right now I will take the dog... but I promise that he/she will also be trained well and will not um, do some things that certain other dogs do... LOL

• SandyinSoCal
    edited January 2011

Yeah, wink wink!!!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2011

Does everyone end up having Stage 2b?  I really thought that everything would be perfect after Stage 2 but I still have some issues under and around my BC arm.  Since we don't go back for checkups how they know everything is fine?

I have healed really well from Stage 2 as far as brusing and the swelling has gone down but, I notice that if I do much my lower back really hurts.  I had stack flaps so I wonder if it is from losing tissue on that side.