Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

I'm thinking bdavis is asking a different question. She's asking about subcutaneous fat around the breast, not about the breast tissue itself??

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Good morning, all!  

So the packet that I received definitely says that you are to increase multivitamins (including Vit C) to twice a day.  I am already taking my multi once a day, but an iron supplement twice a day as well,since my stores of iron are low.  Had just been wondering if there was anything else I could be doing that will help speed my recovery/and or decrease my likelihood of problems.  Now, no need to tell me just to lay low and relax and take it easy after surgery. Believe me, I am the Queen of taking it easy.  I have a husband who is great at taking care of me for things like this, and a BFF who lives across the street who also does more than her share!  So, after surgery, I will relax until I am healed, take gentle walks, and catch up on my reading that 5 have been ignoring in favor of my computer!!

CandDsMom- hope you are feeling good and not worrying too much.  I know it is hard not to go to the bad place . . .hang in there . . .  did they tell you when the path report would be back?  How great to be done!  The tattoos will be a walk in the park after all of this!   

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

I asked the other day but i never saw an answer.

Does dr s do any more lipo in stage 2B? My upper belly is still sort of large compared to where my incision is. I'm having a hard time with pants because they just don't stay on my waist enough so they end up sliding down and riding right on my incision. Then I have a ton of the material in my crotch area sagging. I was considering the nipples now but wondered if he would do more lipo too?

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly~ Yes he does do additional lipo if you need it.  My 2b had a lot of lipo done at 2b because it was my choice :)  Too bad I gained so much weight. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011

bdavis, I understand your question. I initially had an implant reconstruction and found out later that some subcutaneous tissue (fat) was left, I assume purposely. So I think this is a variation in the mastectomy and is not necessarly related to the type of reconstruction. It sounds like Dr Allen is saying there are benefits of doing this when a flap surgery is done, but I would think there are benefits to it with implant reconstruction as well. From everything I have heard the important factors in terms of cancer risk reduction are 1) removing as much breast tissue -- ducts and lobules--as possible and 2) adequate margins around the tumor in terms of skin and fat.

I would be very interesting in hearing what Dr D has to say about this-are you going to ask him at your consult? I don't know why there is a difference in how different surgeons do this, but there is a difference in how they do lots of things! For example, many (including mine) are still always doing the horizontal incision which has a definite negative impact on the cosmetic result. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

The driving factor for how much tissue is taken is the health of the skin that's spared. Thinner skin is more likely to have necrosis.  It's as simple as that.

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

Hi Dragonfly-

Dr D has gotten me with the lipo cannula all 4 times I have had revisions. The first time was just lipo at the hips b/c he fixed some dog ears for me.  The 2nd time it was lipo front and back truncal areas and thighs.  The third time it was more abdomen/back (he said when he saw me "oh, you responded really well to that - let's do more!")  This last time (Monday) he just went after my upper abdominal area and inner thighs again - said that he had done all he could do at the back/back of thighs/saddlebags LOL.

Thanks kaitsmom - they said a few days, so hopefully by the end of this week. I am sure it will be fine, but.... just want to fully be able to put it behind me!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

SunandSandgirl,

My rads onc suggested a breast MRI 2 years out given I was not having mammograms (I refuse to have them). I did it and was happy to know all was clear on my lymph nodes, chest wall, etc. Made me feel good. I wouldn't mind doing one every 2 years, however my ONC and local BS don't think you need any screening after bilateral MX, just the physical breast exam.

I may occasionally go back to the RADS ONC and get him to approve a breast MRI in the future. It's not so bad, and feels good to know. Though I don't like all that crap they inject into you. Oh well.

BDavis - let us know what you find out from NOLA. I had Dr. Stollier do my BMX, so I guess I have that layer of "fat" left behind? (Maybe more reason to do the every 2 year MRI??) hmm. 

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011

HEY LADIES:  OH MY GOSH!  JUST TWO WEEKS AND I AM NEXT ON THE LIST.  TALK TO YOU SOON!  MEREDITH AND ERICA-- I WILL TRY AND CALL YOU!  LOVE HEATHER

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

Hi All,

I absolutely will ask Dr D at the consult about the fat / breast tissue... I have also requested a phone consult with Dr Lagarde since she won't be available when I am in NOLA...

And I can't say what Dr Stolier would do when working with Drs D and S, but with Dr Allen, he would leave fat... according to Dr Allen. Dr Allen said he only works with BS who do what HE wants... Yesterday my BS said it should be the other way around. The BS should do what THEY need to do and the PS should come in and fix it up... I tend to agree. I am not having a MX for aesthetics first and cancer risk reduction second.

AND my BS did say that the separation of Breast tissue and fat is impossible ... you can't leave fat and say that you did your best to remove as much breast tissue as possible. She also said that if someone is grossly over weight, then it may be a different situation... so if someone weighs 300 pounds, and has 3 inches of subcutaneous fat all over their body, then leaving a layer of fat is easier, but for me, who has fat, but not tons of fat, it is less defined.

And on nipple sparing, it is relatively new with no long term stats... but still a very low risk of women have cancer in the nipple... that being said, she said if I am going to herculean efforts, why take the risk... so another thing to discuss with Dr D

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Can't wait to hear from you heather :)

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

HEATHER!!!!!!! WOW!!  :)

C&D'sMOM -- Stage 2c?? How did it go???? 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

CanDsmom - Best of luck on your results - then you will be in a very good place!

Heather - The time will go by fast as lightening. Soon you will be lying back comfortably in your bed at the hospital, with all of this behind you - enjoying an icee!

Kaitsmom - Yeah, vitamin vindication!

Nordy - I have to go back and re-read a few more times to grasp the three mastectomies... I think you deserve a big diamond crown or something!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011
    Eve... Smile  I wouldn't mind the diamonds!!!
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Ok ladies.... so Stacy said for my insurance to cover it there have to be revisions to the breast themselves not just lipo. Hmmm now I gotta think of something. My left is very slightly larger than the other. Then I could I guess go ahead and add nipples, then a ton of lipo :) I just want my pants to stay up and on my waist dang it lol

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

Okay ladies, a few logistical questions...

- for DIEP, do they give you an abdominal binder?  I'm planning on bringing my many compression garments, so no questions about those.

- for hotel I'm trying to go cheap, but also convenient (given the need to eat).  We won't be renting a car, my bf hates to drive. It's between Clarion and Homewood Suites.  Clarion is closer to the center, but Homewood Suites has more amenities (also more expensive).  Any recommendations for one or the other?  Or another rec?

- for those of you who had your companions stay in the room with you, any regrets about that?  as long as there's wifi and a bed to sleep in my bf will be happy enough, although I'm sure he'd prefer to be in a separate hotel room.

-Brenda

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

path report is back - benign!!! Just looks like the nodule was some scar tissue with chronic inflammation, no evidence of malignancy!

happy happy happy dance. whew. 

thanks all :)

heather - super excited that you are up next, love to talk anytime!

spring - stage 2c was not too bad I have to say. Got myself some new nips (I am rocking the fembot look for the next few weeks it seems) and I can report the veronique girdles are back in style at the center.  everyone at st charles was wonderful, as usual, and we even got to enjoy french quarter festival the weekend before i went in. just waiting for the swelling to go down so I can get back to RL! Monday marked my 27th or 28th hour of general anesthesia in the last year so it is probably good to be done for many reasons (I think I have lost a lot of brain cells to anesthesia brain!). I am just so thankful to have been led to the Center and Dr. D by all of you here at BCO. I shudder to think where I would be otherwise!

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

CandD's Great to hear from you! Horay for new nips!! :) And major Horay for benign!!!!! :)

Brenda, for my stage 1 (2009) I did have a "DOM" for stage 1, Dr. D. However, I think we have been hearing here that there are no more DOMs after stage 1, just after Stage 2. Can somebody confirm this? I tell you, this would be a MAJOR BLESSING if you ask me!!!  Hotel, we always stay at the Homewood, like the extra space and all the free food, (you can back it up at breakfast, keep it in the big refrigerator in your room, and eat lunch!) Then dinner 4x a week. Also can walk to French quarter, just a few blocks off Canal Street. Hubby loves the Homewood!!! :) Never stayed at the Clarion. We did stay at the Monteleone, and it is in the FQ, but we missed all the food. They do have a roof top pool deck though. Very nice. 

Spring. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I am finally home or at least to my mom and dad's. Thank God for their help. I am very very swollen and bruised. As always Dr D was wonderful. I had my breast reduced some and revised donor site and looks like I got an other new belly button. I had a major issue with nausea and vomiting but with meds seems to be under control. I dont remember this much swelling and I had my first stage 2 in the dead of NOLA summer.(August) I had 4 drains but am down to 1. I need cane presently to help me get around because of the swelling. My thighs and legs are like double my normal size and I am a large woman to begin with.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the well wishes and prayers You guys are the best

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Wow, Sally! Was that a lot of lipo or just maybe the meds making you swell up, or may both? The good thing is about swelling, it goes away! hang in there....

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Springtime - I got a tight, long (down my thighs) black garment that zipped up the sides (as I recall) after stage 1. Is that the DOM?  Also, should I be bringing it back with me for Stage 2?  Hated it and got some Spanx asap...although my husband liked the black garment much more! :)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Kathryn, if it is crotchless and has a pretty little rose on the front, that is the Dom. And yes, my husband liked it too... !

Sally - so glad to hear you are home. I hope that the swelling goes down soon and that you recover quickly. Don't forget to drink a lot of water!

Ericka - I hope your insurance is more reasonable than mine was!!! And I even have an umbilical hernia that needs repair!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011

All the husbands seem to like the dom:):)

Kathryn, you don't have to bring yours back with you-they give you 2 new ones at stage 2!

Sally, good to hear from you and hope your swelling goes down soon.

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Kathryn, Yep that's the DOM, you can bring it, but they'll give you more, as Amy mentioned!

Nordy, how goes the cellulitus? All better??  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Well Sally told me to send pics of what I want revised and go from there.

I'll be slightly bummed if they won't cover the nipples.

I love my DOM, please tell me though what else I could wear. I had the spanx like cami they roll up. Maybe something similar to the DOM without zippers? I feel so much better in my stomach area when wearing something.

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Dragon, have you checked out the Madera garments? really nice, and can get with no zippers! Easy on the skin. I loved mine!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Madera? Where do you buy that?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

Marena. They have an on-line store or you could check eBay.

Of all the brands I've tried, I'm most sold on the Spanx high-powers. They've held up through two Stage 2s and a lot of rinsing out!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I have no idea on sizing, I know I have the DOM from the center. I was looking at marena online there are 3 that look almost exactly the same. What does Spanx offer, I can't do just the cami apparently my hips and waist now don't work. Another reason why I'd love a revision.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2011

Heatherbless,  this is the Charleston Bound part 2 gals checking in on you to see how you did in NOLA.  Check in with us when you feel up to it.  Hope all went well.  Linda