Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2011

kaitsmom, 

Be prepared to fall in love. Every female in my family that I have taken to NOLA with me have fallen in love with Dr. D.  Even my 22 year old beautiful daughter that never has looked twice at an older guy just smiled the whole time he was in the room.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2011

ok..... What?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

This is my third time trying to do an update! ahhhhck! Here is a shortened version. don't you hate it when you write a great update and lose the whole thing! ugh!

KIM!! Glad you are okay! Looking forward to the shoe pics!! :)  "Told you" that stage 2 would be a synch! (by comparison!)

Melinda, so good to hear from you!  Glad things are going well. I hope you will continue to heal and get less pain and more range of motion with time. Hang in there. 

BDavis, you are doing thorough research, and good for you! You will make the right decision for you. Thanks for sharing all you are finding out with the women here. Very interesting stuff. I had Dr. Stollier do my Mx in NOLA and I have no idea what type he did!!

Hi Other Amy!!! Nice to hear from you. Didn't know you were a midwife!!

Hi Raleigh Amy! :)

NORDY AND I HAVE SUPER TOUCHABLE BOOBS!!!! LOL!!!

Trisha, you deserve a medal for putting up with implants for all those years!!!  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

Springtime... Dr Stolier does Dr Allen's NOLA MXs.. so you had what he explained to me most likely.. he is very particular how its done and Stolier is the BS he uses.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

BDavis - I had Dr Stollier do my MX and we did nipple sparing (at NOLA). I believe he took as much breast tissue as he possibly could without having skin necrosis.  The goal of the MX is to reduce cancer recurrence. I don't know much about leaving more tissue but he spared my nipples and I'm so happy with it. I have some pictures (about 9 weeks out from surgery and if you PM me with your email I'll send them to you.)  I'm happy I kept mine and the research seems to be showing that BC doesn't originate in the nipple - which is why the doctors are open to nipple sparing. Dr Stollier has written quite a few papers on the subject. I really liked him a lot too!

Kim - I'm up for Stage 2 in a little over a month and I am sooo relieved to hear it's much easier (although I'd endure the same thing all over again for perfect breasts!)

Okay, a bra question for those who have come before me.  I know that these new breasts will eventually sag...but is it at the same rate as from when I was 20 until 50? Or do they go faster? Does anyone go bra-less?  Will it promote faster sagging? Just thinking about summer and skimpy shirts and wondering what I can get away with.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011

Hi Spring:)

BDavis, a local friend of a friend had a DIEP with Dr Allen a few months before I had mine. She liked him  a lot and I'm sure he is really good at the technical aspects of the surgery. Regarding stage 2 and revisions, the impression I get from her is that he is less focused on perfecting the cosmetics than the NOLA docs. 

Kaitsmom, I completely understand why you feel that way. Even with the best outcomes, I think most of us contend with a "new normal." 

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

amy... after my consult I tend to agree... he was saying he thought I'd only need stage 1, but I get the impression Drs D and S are into the whole outcome. I asked Dr Allen  if he does the Diep, how does he transition to my love handles... he really didn't have an answer for that...

And Kathryn... that is consistent with what I heard at my consult... Dr Stolier takes the breast tissue but leaves the fat and they biopsy beneath the nipple in a NS procedure... And if the nippl comes back suspect, they would go back in and remove the nipple. I assume Dr Lagarde at NOLA has the same approach? I think I am having Lagarde.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

BD - Did I say something wrong? Well, because... the phrase, "just to restate" comes off as a little harsh... 

Kaitsmom - thank you. Those are my girls - the two rays of sunshine in my life. I call them my angel and my miracle. They are everything to me. 

Amy - I am so glad your trip to Haiti went well! I am sorry - you sent me that link before you went... and I am so absent minded! I'm sorry I am such a flake! Are you going again next year? 

• Nordy
    edited April 2011

Sally - thinking about you right now and wishing I was there with you. Have a restful night and I am hoping all goes well tomorrow.

Kim - wooohooo to being on the other side of stage 2!

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Go Sally!!!   Let us know how you do!!

BD - I wanted to keep nipples but Dr. Stollier suggested I not keep the one on the cancer side (they have a protocol) so he left the areola and took just the nipple. Dr. D says it is much better to rebuild a nipple out of the areola skin. However, mine are not exactly the same (my real one has a lot more pop!) so I sometimes wonder if I should have just done both. My husband is glad I have one real one, so go figure.

The local BS was not at all concerned with nipples left behind. Even though they do not do nipple sparing locally she said that is very surface and could just be taken off if there was ever a concern. Didn't phase her in the least, which surprised me because she does not offer nipple sparing. Maybe in time...

I am gone for the weekend on a retreat with 40 other women! If anybody new comes, please welcome them. If someone wants dates added, please let them know I will do so once back.

xoxoxox to all!!! 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

I am about 4 1/2 months out from stage 2.

Still feel pretty full, swollen around my middle stomach area. Is that normal? I feel so much better wearing my compression garment from stage 2 but it's a little bulky with the zippers, legs and stuff to wear every day. I tried just a cami thing like spans but it really rolled up. Not sure what else to try. But my pants fit like he'll still. Have them sliding down then settling right around my incision line.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

SallyM - hope all goes well today. Thinking of you!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011
    Can I be added to the list?  May 11th - Stage 1
  • bdavis
    edited April 2011

NORDY... certainly didn't mean to come off as harsh... probably saying "just to restate" was the wrong phrase... was just "reassuring" you that I am likely to go to NOLA... I didn't want you to misunderstand my visit to NYC... Sorry.

• Nordy
    edited April 2011

BD - no worries.

Sally - I am thinking of you today!!! I hope you are recovering well and I STILL wish I was there with you!!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I am doing well, The did more work than I had expected, and  I have 4 drains in. Was suppose to be released yesterday but was sick to my stomach. Nordy I wish you were her too, but my aunt is doing a wonderful job  because she has been with me before so she knows where everything is. The weather is great in the mid 80,s. And there is a. hugh festival in Jackson square.Thanks for all the well wishes. I did meet another woman that is staying at the Hope Lodge and came for her stage 2. I  told her about our website so hopefully she will get on and get the wonderful support from all of you.

• melindastn
    edited April 2011

As some of you know that I have suffered with some pretty intense pain from the beginning of my surgeries.  The implants were miserable and my PS here just made me feel crazy when I would complain.  After finding this website I headed to NOLA for removal and stack flaps.  I have been through Stage 2 right before Christmas.  Dr. D told me in the beginning that there was no guarantee that he could relieve my pain but, he did think he could help.  I first I thought it was successful but the pain (nerve damage they think) begin to come back.  I started my research again.  Kept seeing articles where nerve pain was sometimes treated with anti depressants. I called my PC Dr. and ask about it.  I was told that yes they have found success with some anti depressants.  He put me on Cybalta last week.  I can't believe the difference it has make already.  I still feel the tightness at times and some pulling sensation but the pain is basically gone.  YEAH!!!! I fill like I have hope.  It has been such a struggle at times and I have felt a lot of exhaustion just from the nagging pain all day. 

My only question is that in the three years of complaining, crying, begging for help and with all the different doctors I have seen why did NO ONE ever mention this option? 

• amym159
    edited April 2011

That is a very good question Melissa! I am so happy to hear you have some relief. It seems like most drs just don't want to get into the whole topic of post mastectomy pain syndrome.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2011

Melinda,

I have had the same problem. I did not have implants, but have been in pain since Feb of 2007. Dr. D thought he could help me too. I was in no pain for about 6 months after stage 1. But now the pain is back. I am on Pristiq. I wonder if anybody knows if there is a difference? I think I will ask to be changed.

I am so tired of hurting all the time.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Ok, maybe I am dense, but here goes . . .Can someone please explain to me what happens to my belly button when I have my DIEP done?  I don't understand that part of the process I guess.  And what happens to my upper abdomen, above my belly button, where I have more than a little excess weight? I guess they will lipo it later?  Can they do it at Stage 1? Sorry if these questions have obvious answers, but I am just not 'getting it'. 

sallym - hope you are doing well today and were able to get out to enjoy Jackson Square.  

I think that docs often don't take us seriously when we complain of pain - they seem to have the attitude that we should just suck it up and stop whining.  I am glad to hear that the cymbalta has been helpful.  I know that a few years ago, my doc did mention it to me for some long term pain that I was having, but I didn't try it then.  Hope it continues to give you relief, Melinda, and maybe that is something you could mention to your doc, Bettye.     

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Kaitsmom... I haven't had the surgery yet, but it was explained to me that the fat is taken from the whole stomach area, even above the belly button, but not including the belly button, then the skin is pulled down over the belly button like a shade and a new hole is created to expose the bb... but of course someone who has had it done can chime in.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I am still at St Charles I am being discharge tommorrow morning. I did get 2 of 4 drains removed today. In regards to the belly button you more of less get a new one. My understanding is they dont do lipo til step 2 so that after step 1 they give your body an opportunity to adjust and let the swelling go down and then at stage 2 do the lipo when they know more about what shape your breast take

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

TigSun, Welcome! who is your primary doctor in NOLA? Dr. Sullivan? or Massey or DellaCroce? Happy to add you to the list...

Melinda, Once again, another example of how you have to be your own advocate and do your own research. hmmm. I am just so glad you are experiencing some RELIEF!!! Bettye, I am sorry you are in pain still. :(  

Sally Sally Sally! Gald to hear you are okay. I hope the drains start "dropping like flies" and in no time you'll be drain free and healing up just fine...

Amy, BDavis basically described it, They remove skin from your lower belly, and pull down the skin from above, (they will lipo it later, if needed, and it's very tight at first, but quickly adapts, skin is amazing stuff) They make a new hole for a belly button right where your umbillicus is. You would never know this is not a real belly button. There is a video of  a real DIEP surgery online. Beth Israel in NY and Dr. Mark L. Smith. Not for the faint of heart, but it gives you an overview of everything they do - it is an acutaly surgery. I watched this before my DIEP/lumber and I am not sure it's a good idea, honestly, to have this much detail running around in your head. But I could not stop myself. I am not posting the link here, but I have it. If anybody really wants it, PM me and I will send it to you. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Thanks ladies!  That helps me to understand a bit better!  I am not sure what I was thinking - I guess I hadn't thought the whole thing through and thought they only took fat from the lower area!  So interesting!   So a new belly button, huh?  How weird!  Oh well, not that anyone sees mine these days, but I did always think I had a nice cute "innie"  Bev, I think I will pass on the video.. .  Curious as I am, I think I will sleep better at night NOT seeing it!! haha  

Good to hear about the drains Sally!  I'm sure it will be a big relief. I hope the others will be gone soon.  Drains be gone!!  

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Kaitsmom... I thought the same thing until I met with Dr Allen last week... and he explained the process.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

Bettye, Pristiq is the newest of three antidepressants/anxiolytics in the family called SNRI's (Serotonin, Norepinehprine Reuptake Inhibitors). Effexor was the first, Cymbalta the second. They all work in the same way on the same neurotransmitter (serotonin and norepinephrine) systems, but each drug can have different therapeutic effects and different  side effects in any given individual. "On paper", that is -  in studies, they have equal effectiveness, but not necessarily for each person. Antidepressants have been used for decades to treat chronic pain. First the tricyclics that work on the norepinephrine system, then the SSRI's (Prozac, etc.) that work on the serotonin system, and now these. These are just the newest kids on the block. Cymbalta was heavily marketed to docs by the drug co. as useful to treat pain syndromes when it first came out a few years ago. That is why docs reach for it first. They all can work well. Often its trial and error to find the right one. :)

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2011

Regarding watching the video - I saw it several months after Stage 2.  I verbally was told all the steps, but seeing it was pretty tough for me.  I'm not easily disturbed, but I found this to be a bit too graphic.  I'm not used to watching surgeries, so for me, this was a bit too much.  I'm glad I saw it after the fact.  And I'd be ok if I never saw it at all.  Just me. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

When I had nerve pain from my implants, I used gabapentin. It's not an antidepressant--I was already on one. It worked great for my nerve pain, and getting my implants out did the trick except for a tight sensation I have in my lower pecs that I attribute to scar tissue. I don't expect it to ever be gone.

Surgeons are not really good at understanding pain. They (this is a generalization) don't want to take the time to deal with chronic pain, or work with the meds and modalities required to get it under control. There's a great thread in the Surgery forum on post-mastectomy pain syndrome. I won't get on my soap box here.

• melindastn
    edited April 2011

BettyE,  I know how you feel.  Some days I just have felt so exhaused from the pain and feeling there is not hope.  I have felt that no one really understands except the great gals here on this site.  I don't like to think what this ordeal would be like without all of you.

• amym159
    edited April 2011

kaitsmom, I'm pretty sure the fat fro the DIEP is just taken from the lower abdomen. The skin from the upper abdomen that is pulled down and the new belly button hole is made, but my understanding is whatever fat is above your waist (more or less) is still there . They will lipo it for you though in stage 2!