Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

Candysmom - so glad you got the all clear!

Sallym - I sure hope your swelling subsides soon! Congrats on being done!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

Spanx seem true to size for me. With Marena I had to go up at least one size!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

For Stage 2B I used a Marena that came up to just under my boobs, and down to my knees, It stayed up really well, and the material was so smooth and comfortable. I also have the Spanx Higher Power that Anne mentioned, but the material was rougher somehow on my skin? I found the Marena nicer. 

Dragon, I did get one on ebay, but it was the kind with zippers. That one is nicer than the "Dom", but I didn't need it that long, and really suggest if you're going to invest, get one without the zippers. As soon as the drains are gone, you don't need those zippers anymore, and without zippers is so much more comfortable.

Hou can find the Spanx Higher Power at Nordstroms I think, It's just in a box (don't get the ones hanging up on hangers, those are more expensive!) 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=SPANX916x

$38 at Bare Neccessity and free shipping

• AnneW
    edited April 2011

Just watch out for seams if you're ordering on-line and haven't seen them in person yet!

I bought the expensive Spanx. Very sturdy, comfy to me, and have held up way better than expected for 23/7 wear!

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Anne, that explains it. the cheaper spanx are not as comfy! It is as they always say, "you get what you pay for" !!!

Thanks BDavis! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

I am so very swollen ladies, I am trying to drink lots of water but I keep dozing off. I am not sure if the swelling is from so much Lipo or retention. My legs are the worse. I never remember this part of the prior surgeries. Nordy and Minnasota you were there with me do you remember me being swollen?? I mean I need a cane to assist me getting out of a chair to sort of push off with. I can not see my ankles AT ALL. Tell me this is normal and will diminish please. Getting a little depressed because I thought I would be getting around better

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

What pain meds are you on sallly?

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2011

Sally, have you spoken with someone at the Center tonight or today? You have me concerned,please call them!

Marcia

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Sally. I second what Marcia said. Have you spoken to anyone at the Center? I would totally call them. Please don't worry that it is the weekend. There is always someone on call on that number that they give you at the bottom of your discharge instruction sheet. I wonder if you could put on a pair of ted hose to get that swelling down? Do you have any calf pain? Is the swelling equal bilaterally (on both legs)? If the swelling is not the same on both legs and/or you are having calf pain, that could be concerning, but most likely my guess would be from the lipo. Did he say he did a lot more lipo this time? Sally, please call them. You must be so uncomfortable with all the extra fluid you are hanging on to. Are you pumping your ankles every hour? It's such a simple exercise, but efficient for moving fluid in the legs (okay, don't do this if you are having calf pain or one side is much, much larger than the other). Please call tonight or in the AM. And then let us know how you are doing. (((((hugs)))))

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Sally, there is also medicine you can take to get the fluid out (dieuretic?) I wonder if you can ask about that? I had a friend who did this and got relief.

Also, What Nordy said, maybe you need compression!! (Ted hose??) 

• sallym
    edited April 2011

I am going to wait til AM to call the center. From my waist down is swollen but mainly the thighs and legs. I am 10 days out from surgery and still can not get into the largest compression garment (DOM) by myself. I have ted hose on during the day but take them off at night. Thank God my mom is so helpful. I have not been on the scales but I know that it has got to be 40 lbs or more of fluid. Even my face is puffy but nothing like my legs. I am very lethargic even without pain meds. I am going to rest tonight and see if it is any better in the AM and if not I am going to call. Surprisingly no one has called me from the center except Jamie, the day after I was released. I promise though I will call in the AM Thanks for you support

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2011

Sally,  This doesn't sound normal to me especially after 10 days.  You should call the center to find out what may be going on.  Let us all know, OK?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I really don't understand waiting til the morning, I'd be calling asap! It could be something that if you did or took tonight you'd feel so much better by morning.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2011

Hi Ladies.  I've been reading this thread a bunch.  I need a BMX and I'm trying to decide between gummies and immediate DIEP.  I'm 39 and in MO.  I've decided the only way I'll get DIEP is if it's in NOLA.  I did meet a PS here that does DIEP, but has only done 20, can't do immediate and will switch to TRAM 25% of the time.  I have BCBS, which I hear is terrible.  I sent all my info to NOLA a few days ago and they said someone will call me this week.  I don't know how much fight I've got in me to get to NOLA (regarding insurance), but I'm giving it a go.  I've had two babies and I've gained back pregnancy weight---so I've got the belly fat. I'm trying to lose a bit so my BMI goes down from my current 30.  No one seems to talk about BMI--is it much of concern, especially if my goal is to lose?  I'm still in that freaked mode, as I've not had any surgery yet (for BC or ever): no matter what, my body will not be the same and will be shocked into a change.  I was able to talk to someone who went to NOLA and I found a PS who will either do my gummies or support me if I go to NOLA.  It's just so strange to have such a big decision that is completely up to me.  Usually pros vs cons gives me easier decision making.  I'll see how the NOLA thing goes.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Cider8 I'll pm you on here to answer some of your questions that I can.

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Cider... I have said to so many people that i really need a life manager this year... wouldn't it be great if someone awesome could just make the perfect decision FOR us, and guarantee it was the best choice... Choice is hard... I not only only have the choice as to where to go, but also what type of recon to have or to not even have it and go with radiation and be done in 2 months... But my heart is leading me down a rougher road initially for a hopefully softer road in the future. Good luck with the insurance... I am fortunate that I have 100% coverage in NOLA... and even then I am researching my choices.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Hi all!  Sally, I hope by the morning you are calling the Center.  We are all worried about you.

As for me, I am a great worrier.  I can always find something to worry about.  Not one of my better qualities.  But ladies, here is my worry d'jour . . .  lymphedema.  Have many of you had problems?  I did not have rads, but I had nodes removed with my BMX.  2 nodes on one side, one node on the non-cancer side.  All negative.  Have not had any problems, and I am four years out from surgery. Any thoughts on what risk is involved at this point with the DIEP?  I keep reading that ANY breast surgery at all now can increase the risk.  

Also, I am starting to think about what to take to NOLA in 3 weeks.  Anyone have a comprehensive packing list they would care to share?

Sally, I am a bit of a nag as well as a worrier, so I will say it again.  We are worried.  Call them. 

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Kaitsmom... I just asked my BS about that last week and she said few people have nodes in the breast that would cause lymphedema... or something like that... I had 2 nodes removed during lumpectomy and said I was worried that breast tissue removal that sometimes includes (intermammary??) nodes could cause problems... she poo pood it.

i too have had no problems to date and don't want any problems.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Sally. If you wake up during the night, get on that phone and call them. I mean it. Fourty pounds of fluid is NOT normal. Your body needs to dump a good portion of it so that you will FEEL better! Please call ASAP! They want you to call!!! I want you to call. We all want you to call!!! Don't make me call for you... because I will...

Kaitsmom - I had lymphedema prior to my reconstruction, so I can only tell you how it affected me... It didn't. I mean, the reconstruction did not make it better or worse. It maybe got a little bigger for a day or two with surgery, but it came back down and there was really no change. I can tell you this: The doctors at the Center are very proactive when it comes to lymphedema. Please tell them your concerns when you go in!

Packing list for stage 1... good heavens, it has been a long time. Let's see, you won't need clothes while you are in the hospital - they supply gowns and robes. Slippers or flip flops are great for walking around the hospital and you don't have to try to bend over to get them on. I would also bring a slip on shoe for after discharge and on the flight home. It just makes things much easier. Comfortable shirts and pants are good. Alot of people like loose button down shirts to hide the drains in... I didn't care and wore my regular fitted t-shirts. I also had some soft stretchy skirts from Old Navy that were so comfortable, even though they were a bit breezy... LOL... I am one of the anti-undie girls with the Dom outfit! Embarassed Something to read, your ipod... Something for constipation! I love the Traditional Medicinal Smooth Move tea. But in the end I needed glycerin suppositories. Ugh. The narcotics just bind you up. SCSH supplies you with a nice jug for water and I would keep sipping on that as much as possible after discharge too. I am sure the other ladies will chime in here... Oh, and a short sleeve hoodie zippered hoodie is great for taking the chill off, hiding drains, and not being too bulky. 

• AnneW
    edited April 2011

Sally, by now I hope you have talked to the Center and are getting some important medical intervention???? Your symptoms scare me, and I completely second what Nordy told you!

Report in soon! I hope all's okay!

• sallym
    edited April 2011

Call into the center has been made Now I am waiting for Laura to call me back

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

My primary doctor is Dr. Sullivan and I will be having a DIEP on 5/11/11.

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Re - Lymphedema, I had it before DIEP, but didn't know it. It was much better after the implants were removed, but is not totally normal. I have it in my trunc, not arm. I it is mild compared to what I hear from others, but when I get a "flair up" I am not a happy camper!

Tigsun, I added your details to the listing on the top of the page.

Sally, if you have not heard back from the Center, call them again!! We need to get you bubbled up to the top of the list...

I am with Nordy on bringing suppositories to "go" and also Myrilax. I load up on Myrilax prophyactically 3 days prior to surgery and keep it going until I am weaning off pain meds. I have HUGE constipation issues! (TMI!!!)

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

This is totally off topic but I had to share...

Okay, Spring break here and it started off with a bang (not the good kind!) I have 7 year old identical twin boys - Jacob and Lukas.  So, I came into the room this AM to help them get dressed this AM and Lukas proudly told me that he had peed into one of his toys so that Jacob would be afraid to play with it. Apparently it worked!  (I laugh even as I write that)...as I was scolding Lukas my husband came in and asked what was going on and I started to laugh so hard I couldn't even tell him.  Is it Friday yet?

Sally - I hope you hear from one of the nurses soon!

• sallym
    edited April 2011

Just heard from Laura and she called me in Lasix and Potassium so we will get that tomorrow. I am hoping my to get home from my parents tomorrow. I have not been able to get the compression garment on without help so hopefully the lasix will do the trick and I can stay home. (for those that dont know it is just me and my 14 year old son who is not keen on helping his mom put on a girdle)

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Awww c'monn Sally, you mean your 14 year old boy doesn'tn want to help his swollen mom squish into a GIRDLE????  LOL!!!

Here is what I see on Google about Lasix: SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL HELP!!!!

Lasix (Furosemide)

Furosemide, a 'water pill,' is used to reduce the swelling and fluid retention caused by various medical problems, including heart or liver disease. It is also used to treat high blood pressure. It causes the kidneys to get rid of unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.  

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Kathryn, LOL!!!!!!!!! I just saw your post!!!!!!!!   Ewwwwwwwwww!!!!! LOL!!!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2011

One last thing for stage 1 - take a long shoe lace.  works really well for tieing your drains and hanging them around your neck when you shower....

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Sally.. it sounds like a direretic and the potassium is super important... without the potassium you could get very weak and passout... get some bananas too... they have a ton of potassium.