Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

Ok for what to take to stage 1, I swear one change of clothes and pj's would do the trick! :) I took a big suitcase and wore hardly any of it. I took pj's, some tanks and then took my robe from the center with me to the hope lodge. I did have a couple zip up hoodies, tanks and lounge pants.ems putting my regular tanks or t's on after surgery. I had no probl Also as far as the drains and showering. I had got 2 of the little blue pouches on discharge. So I used one during the day for the drains, then the other specifically for wearing in the shower. It worked awesome. When I was done showering I'd just swap out the pouch and hang it up to dry. I wore flip flops the whole time, and make sure you bring long pants or pj's for the trip home you'll have the ted hose to wear. I didn't think about this and all my pants were capris because it was September and HOT HOT HOT. Excellent idea on the laxative too, I did need to go get some and funny you can go to a drive thru and get alcholic drinks, but the laxatives are kept under lock and key at walgreens :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Sally, are you deflating yet???? (running to the bathroom like crazy??)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Yes, Sally - what Spring said...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Hopefully she's not updating because she's in the bathroom. Love this board, and you ladies. Nothing is too personal and feel so at ease here!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2011

Sally, ditto what spring and nordy said!!!???

• Soccermom4force
    edited April 2011

TIGSUN,

It's me Soccermom from FORCE!

Dr S was my primary and love love love him and the Center staff!

PM me if you'd like to chat via phone,

So happy for you!

Marcia

• Soccermom4force
    edited April 2011

What a SMALL world! I did a sleep study last night, today a scheduler called to schedule tonight's session.She addressed me as "Ms Marcia". I asked if she was from La. And she said YES, Mandeville!! She is also a NOLA alumni and Dr S was her primary!!! Small small world!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Wow that's crazy about her being a NOLA patient and Dr S on top of that, how lucky for her :)

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly, thanks for the list!  Almost time for me to start getting stuff together.  I am an "early packer".

Sally - Hello?  Hello?   Hope you will check in when you are not running back and forth to "deflate", as Spring put it!  Hope you are feeling better today!

Tigsun - I am scheduled for May 11 as well, with Dr. D.  Let me know what you plans are, and if you would like to meet up.

Gotta love those sweet Southern manners in La.  I love when I talk to Katie at the Center and she calls me "Miss Amy"! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Amy, also depending on where you are staying you or your companion can wash the clothes. Really a carry on bag would probably be sufficient, except they send you home with lots of goodies like gauze pads and such...

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Tigsun and Kaitsmom - we should all get together while we are there.  Also, you two will be in the hospital at the same time - you can ask the nurses to put your screen name on the door so you can meet while there.  I already talked to Kaitsmom and maybe the 17th would be a good day to meet up. I have a 9:30AM pre-op that day and am free the rest of the time.  You will both be 6 days post surgery so you may be up for going out and meeting - maybe bengiets or lunch. You two can call the shots.  Tigsun - do you know where you're planning on staying? 

So happy I am less than a month out from surgery.

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

I have a question about stage 2.  I'm normally about 128 pouds but since Stage 1 I've found myself overindulging and am up about 9 pounds right now. In my dreams Dr S will suck out all of those extra pounds...but is that realistic? Should I try to get down to my normal weight before the surgery (or go for the extra latkes AND chocolate Easter eggs? -- Fingers crossed you all recommend the later!)

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Wondering what happened to Sally????

Kathryn, I am not sure, but I would think the less you weigh the better, then they're sucking out real fat? I dunno! always more healthy to be as lean as you can be (in terms of Cancer prevention anyway!!)

KaitsMom and TigSun - are both of you going to be at the St. Charles Surgical Center?? (or different hospitals?) If you are at SCSH that would be so cool. :)   

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I wouldn't worry about it Kathryn, 9 pounds seems silly to fret over.

• kaitsmom
    edited April 2011

I will be at St. Charles.  Not sure about Tigsun.  Hopefully she weighs in here . . .  I will definitely want a meet up.  How about beignets AND lunch Kathryn, since you seem to be going for it!  You can have him suck the beignets out the next day!  I know even for Stage 1 I have been a little torn about the weight thing.  I had been slowly losing weight before my decision, and it was going well.  But then I decided I had better stop losing weight, just try to keep eating healthy and maintain until after the surgery.  Plus my daughter is in town this month, and I am glad to enjoy her favorite restaurants with her and order something other than chicken and a salad!  

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

Here I am.....I will be staying at the Homewood Suites from May 7th to May 21th.  Minus the time I am in the hospital.

Kaitsmom - I will send you a private message with my email address and cell number.  we will definitely see each other since we are doing everything on the same day.  we will be surgery twins!

KathrynLA - yes we have to meet up.  we have each other's info so it will happen. 

I will have to remember to put my screen name on the door.  21 days and counting.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited April 2011

hello ladies, bear with me if am posting this in wrong place but am considering Nola and hoping I can ask a few questions:

1/Does traveling to Nola make that much difference in the outcome of your diep flap?

2/ has anyone had any problems with flying back home after their surgery? swelling etc

3/ why do so many women opt for bilateral?

4/ Anybody going from NYC in early June??? thanks, am trying hard to come up to speed on so much since dx

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

Hello Ladies. I am running to the bathroom and while I am not there I am laying with my feet on pillows. This is AWFUL. When I was pregnant I only gained 18 lbs and came home in jeans so I am not use to this fluid. I am feeling better today, I could get into the largest DOM outfit  by myself last night so I came home from my moms today. Very tiring though because they live about 45 minutes away. But there is no place like home. Thanks ladies for all of your concern and support I really dont know what I would do with out it, Oh did I tell you Met Life thinks I can return to work Monday. Not to mention I still cant get out of a chair with out a good Heave Ho. LOL love and hugs to all

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

Kaitsmom - Beigniets AND lunch it is. I think Tigsun may be game too.  If you stay at the Homewood Suites we'll all be there when I am post surgery.  I big NOLA brewhaha.  If only we could add in some mint juleps too (or is it Hurricanes down there?) 

I'll definitely be giving Dr S some beignets and all sorts of other things to suck out but I am going to try to give him a little less if I can.  For some reason post surgery I've had a much more ravenous appetite.  I do think part of it is anxiety of all I went through in a short amount of time (diagnosis of BC and BRCA, plus the BMX and reconstruction) and also anticipation of Stage 2.  I honestly can't wait to get in there already.  It will be 4 months when I get there. Going in for my bloodwork this week.  :)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

Kathryn.. when will you be there?? I will be there May 14-17 for my may 16th consult...

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2011

Louis13 - having a bi-lateral is a tough decision, and the reasons are different for everyone - for me? it was my second time to have BC, and I had already lost my sister to it and several other family members had had different cancers.  I just decided - No More.  I didn't want to go thru it again, and bi=lateral was the only way to assure that...  I am sure other ladies will share their reasons.   Welcome to the club none of want to be in, but we are all here for each other. Feel free to ask any questions or discuss anything here....

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Ginnie... I have a friend who grew up in Murfreesboro... did you grow up there?

• kathrynla
    edited April 2011

bdavis- Would love to see you.

I arrive on the 16th, can't recall what time but have a note to myself to make reservations for dinner that night - so I'm guessing it is before 6PM :)

My pre-op is on the 17th. 

What are you plans on the 16th and 17th - where are you staying? We're at the Montelone until my surgery on the 18th.  What time are you leaving on the 17th?

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

I am leaving at 6am...and staying with a friend... My plans on the 16th are 2 consults and thenhang out in the city with my old college friend... So I guess you won't be at hte center midday on the 16th?? I have a 9am with Dr D and a 1pm with Dr Stolier.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

Louis13 - I can answer question #3

I had cancer 11 years ago. had a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation.  getting diagnosed with DCIS i have to get a mastectomy because it is in the same location and i can't get radiation there again.  I am also BRCA2+.   So I said take one take them both.  I am done.  That is why I am having bilateral surgery.

• bdavis
    edited April 2011

Good luck Tig...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I am so thankful for having the bi-lateral, so much easier I think for the reconstructed process, plus peace of mind somewhat since I am BRCA1+

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2011

bdavis...no mam  I was born in Cleveland, Tn.  Lived in Bham, AL from  10 yrs old to 30, then moved to Nashville.  Slowly moved towards the boro and been here bout 10 yrs...  hehehe...guess I coulda just said no, huh?

• kaitsmom
    edited April 2011

Ginnie,  Thanks for the tip about the shoelace.  Ugh.  drains.   I hope you don't mind my asking, but I saw your posts and was wondering, did you do a MX the first time around and still have a local recurrence on the same side?  Or did you do a lumpectomy, etc?  If you had a MX with local recurrence, how did they find it the second time around? Did you have a lump/bump/symptoms? I have a friend who may be on her second go round . . .

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Louis13 - Below are my responses, I hope some of the other ladies add their "take" as well. Good luck in deciding what you need to do. I remember it is an overwhelming time of information and very big decisions! Follow your heart and do what is right for you. That is different for everyone. If you decide to go this route, we are here to support you. 

1/Does traveling to Nola make that much difference in the outcome of your diep flap? You're on the NOLA thread so those of us here believe it is worth it to travel. These docs ONLY do breast surgery and have done thousands of them, so they are experts. Because micro-surgery is involved, you want to make sure you find somebody that really knows what they're doing. Also, go to the breastcenter.com web site and look at the before and after pics. 

2/ has anyone had any problems with flying back home after their surgery? swelling etc The NOLA docs manage you after your surgery. You stay local for a week or more after the first surgery. If you go home and have complication, and need to go back, they will fly you there and put you up at no cost to you.

3/ why do so many women opt for bilateral? You don't need to do bilateral. This is a very personal choice and you need to do a lot of soul searching! I personally opted for bilateral because my cancer was not detected by mammogram or ultrasound, and the BS locally told me the most likely scenario was finding it (if it recurred) as eary invasive cancer, not DCIS. I decided I didn't want to risk it. No regrets! No mammograms needed.

4/ Anybody going from NYC in early June??? thanks, am trying hard to come up to speed on so much since dx  BDAVIS here has checked out many docs and done a lot of research and I believe looked into doc(s) in NYC. You may want to PM her.