Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2011

Between Hotbutt, Dragonfly, and I, you now know everything there is to know about dressing post-stage 1. Don't sweat it!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2011

I was thinking. You know the little zip up hoodies with SHORT sleeves that are popular now? I think that would b a good choice for the Nola heat .... Blousy enough to disguise drains at waist but not hot.

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

Good idea, Holtbolt! Okay, I updated my photo to show me in my last year's NOLA Easter attire before a night out on Bourbon (I highly recommend Maison Bourbon and Funky Pirate for music). The picture is tiny, I know, but I don't know how to make big ones here! So with a magnifying glass, maybe you can see my empire waist (short sleeves and very light-weigh fabric) blouse, my black dom leggings, and my black sweater (which you can also just drape over an arm to cover the drain(s) - push both drains to one side). I also tied that sweater around my waist all the time. On Bourbon, no one notices what you are wearing. Plus, the light is dim!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

But you better wear black underwear with this outfit! No commando in this get-up!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

I also have my On-Q pain ball over-the-shoulder purse. And hey, I caught beads that night, too!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

HEATHER??? Anybody hear from Heather??

Denouement is up on Weds 4th! 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2011

Thank you Holtbolt, Minnesota, and Dragonfly, SOOOOOO MUCH! It is immensely comforting to me to read your words of wisdom. Picturing you "on the other side" is really helpful. Not to mention...it gave me an excuse for some shopping today :):):)

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2011

Diep ladies are you saying that I will feel like taking in some action in New Orleans? So once i get dismissed you mean hit the streets for a good time? Wondering if I will be able to attend the Essence Music Festival in NOLA 4TH OF JULY Weekend? Thought....

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited May 2011

Ok, well CNN has me up late tonight, so of course my mind starts wandering again . . .  Many of you have recommended starting some Colace or something a couple of days before the surgery.  But doesn't that mean that for those couple of days, we would have the opposite problem?  Although I guess that would be preferable to what could happen afterwards without it . . .   

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

I don't know what colace is, but i didn't take anything before surgery. I had no problems after stage 1 at all. I did a little bit after stage 2.

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

Yes, Rogam, you can have fun in NOLA after DIEP surgery! My advice is to keep your pain under good control - that means keeping your OnQ pain ball as long as you can and keeping up on your pain meds. Also, don't overdo it. You'll be tired. But if you pace yourself and rest periodically, you can get out and see some sights and listen to some great music and eat some delicious food! Where are you staying pre and post surgery?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

I didn't do mch after stage 1, had no idea keeping the pain ball was an option? After stage 2 we stayed in the French quarter, did the boat ride on the river, the tour of the

French quarter, city/cemetery your and tons of walking the walking really helped me not feel so full and swollen. The hope lodge is great but if you can swing it, staying close to the quarter is the best way to go.

Eve, about the nipples. How long for them to typically heal? 2 weeks, 6 weeks?? I'm wondering because we do allot of swimming!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011

I have a question about blood... I called the local Red Cross and they said it would cost me $850 to donate my own blood and have it sent to NOLA... It would be cheaper to fly down there and donate... So, who needed blood for their DIEP flap and did anyone donate their own beforehand?

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

For those of you who have already done stage one in NOLA, did any of your husbands or companions stay with you while you were in the hospital? Is there two beds? Is there a cafeteria for him to eat at if he stays? Any advise would be great.  Also did anyone have the chemo port placed during stage 1?  And any trouble flying home if you had drains?  Just somethings going through my head. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2011

They have a murphy bed just for caregivers.  They will also feed him fromt he same menu.  No trouble with drains just give yourself extra time.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

They treat your husband or caregiver very well!! My Mom went for stage 1 and grandma for stage 2. They loved it there just as much as i did :)

Drains are no problem at all! I just made sure to empty them before boarding. Not necessary probably but that's what I did. No idea on the port placement as I believe mine was done by a radiologist or something?

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the info... was wondering how bad the scars are if unable to have nipple sparing? I am not able to keep mine..does it fade over time or is it really scary? And anyone who has had previous c sections, did they use that scar? and was recovery alot like after c section (for your stomach)...I'm just getting concerned because I have more fat above my belly button than below it and not to mention the skin below my belly button has had a work out after 3 kids (would like to take that skin off and get rid of it .haha) I'm getting nervous that I will have this skinny lower belly and giant muffin top...oh well guess they know what to do...i'm just so thankful that I will have warm boobs.@dragonfly...  I will have an out of pocket of $1250 do you know if they take credit cards as pymt? I mean I can get points on my card ,why not ask
  • kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

Hi Dawn. I think your other questions were answered, but I wanted to let you know that many of us have ordered a wheelchair to use on either end on the flight home. It's  not mandatory but it gets your through the lines much faster and if you don't have a 1st class seat (I used miles to upgrade on the flight home) then I was told they try and sit you in the bulkhead seats which have more leg room. You can also board before everyone else and won't get jostled.  NOLA gives you a note for security - but of course they didn't know what to make of me (I think they thought I had liquid bombs under my shirt) and even after scanning me they pulled me into the side room. I told them I was happy to lift my shirt and show them and that seemed to scare them even more than the prospect of a bomb (seeing my drains!). In the end they got a supervisor to OK me...but it was a bit comical to me.

I had a wheel chair waiting on the other side and that was helpful too. I could walk but I just didn't want the stress.

• kathrynla
    edited May 2011

Okay, I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from Stage 2 and while I couldn't wait to go back, I am also feeling the nerves.  I had hip flap so I really didn't have much pain -- but everyone is saying how hard the lipo is. I'm also getting a mini tummy tuck this time around -- is that going to be painful? The ETS (Estimated Time for Surgery) is 4 hours.  I guess I was planning on something shorter.

Anyway, I am happy to be going but definitely feeling a bit jittery about it.

Denoument - I'm sure your jitters are worse than mine - but having already gone through Stage 1 I know for certain you are in good hands and are going to do great. The doctors and nurses take amazing care of you!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Kathryn stage 2 for me, was a walk in the park. I had hardly any pain or bruising. I stopped my pain meds 2 days out from surgery. 3 days out we were site seeing fools of the French Quarter and walked tons! I had lipo, a slight reduction on the left breast, and they revised my stomach incision and readjusted my belly button.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

I just heard my good friend here at work got laid off. I'm so nervous now that they've started the process. I'll get laid off before I can get this surgery done :( Vicki at the center said my insurance co told her the pre-authorization can take up to 30 days??? My benefits lady at work said if I work 80 hours this month, I'll be covered through the end of June. So keeping my fingers crossed. It's a lot to juggle and super stressed. Between keeping my job long enough to keep benefits, the pre-authorization (hoping they can speed it up) and the $2000.00 out of pocket :(

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2011

Still waiting to hear from Heather....Hope all's well.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

I sent her a text so we'll see what she says!

• kaitsmom
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly - maybe you can call the insurance company yourself and ask them to get a move on it, but do not tip your hand and tell them you may be laid off.  They may think "Oh great, if we delay, she will lose coverage and we won't have to pay".  I have United HealthCare, and though I have had lots of bad stuff to say about them in the past, I had approval for my Stage 1 within 2 days!  And that includes that I had to request a gap exception to get them to pay even though NOLA was out of network for me!  When Vicki called to tell me they approved it, I told her that wasn't possible, since it had only been actually a day and a half.  She said, "Well they did, and I will fax you the official notice I got from them as soon as it is in writing."  Sure enough, next day, there it was!  But you can believe that even the phone call got me crying!    I just think maybe a call fronm you and from NOLA may help get it approved more quickly than what they originally say.  One other thought. . .  are you going to get insurance through COBRA?  I know it is expensive, but they have to provide you with the same level of coverage as when you were working.  If you could even do that for a month or so, you should still be able to get your surgery covered.

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

Did you ladies who are done with stage 1 need blood?? I caled the american red cross today and it costs $841 to donate my own blood and ship it to NOLA... and thats only one unit... it would be cheaper to fly down with my husband and donate in person.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited May 2011

bdavis, some facilities have a charge even if you donate your own blood in person.  I am in NC and our Red Cross does.  Funny, I never charged them when I donated.  Guess they won't want my blood anymore.

• kathrynla
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly - thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't know how the tummy tuck will effect my recovery but I like the idea of feeling up to being a tourist!

bdavis - I did not bank any blood and didn't need any. Have you asked the nurses at NOLA about it?

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

I will when I am down there... I had read somewhere that almost everyone who has DIEP needs blood... Guess that isn't really true... Just want to cover my bases, but not for $850

• kaitsmom
    edited May 2011

Hmm . . .   People, please weigh in . . .  did y'all need blood?  I have never had a blood transfusion and I have to say it makes me a bit nervous.  Just one of the zillion things I am (trying not to be) nervous about.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Not everyone needs blood. Call and ask, but I think this is a rarity. I needed blood, and I've heard of a few others who did who had the Stage 1 Stacked DIEP Lumbar involving 4 flaps and a longer surgery. Also, I still had compromised blood counts still from chemo at the time of surgery. If your RBC is low, it can take you longer to get back on your feet after surgery. I had 2 units of NOLA blood. Dr. D. told my DH that it would help me feel better faster. 

I was not thrilled about it when I woke up, but I've had no issues. I would have preferred a transfusion of my family's blood (I banked blood during chemo) or in wholesome Raleigh NC vs. NOLA, but anyway, that's what happened!! 

They say the blood suppy is very safe now. I dunno.