Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2011

Thank you Ladies for your response. I am having delayed(2yrs) reconstruction. So excited got my fmla papers back today. I really need to find out about how to bank my blood in Alabama and then get it down to NOLA especially since i had to have 2 pints after my bil-lateral and hyst.

I found out yesterday that I won't have to stay in New Orleans after my release. I will be able to rest at my mom's who lives 1 hour away in Mississippi.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011

ref~ I have hip flaps and I LOVE them.  I also had implants first an I had less pain with the hip flap then I had with the implants.  I was never comfortable with them.  I also heard a lot of negative at home but once they saw the work there was nothing but shock and praise.  The scars are hid by under garments and my breast just look incredible and I forget about them not being my old girls. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

rogam... Stacy at NOLA said to call your local (Alabama) blood bank and ask them about drawing it and sending it to NOLA.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011

WOW, sorry about above.  I was answering a post from a page back. 

Dragonfly~ Ask if they could do a payment plan ??  It maybe an option.  I hope you find a way to get down there for your revisions. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

I know, I'm just sick and mad at myself for not doing the nipples when I was there for stage 2, My benefits lady at work said that doesn't sound right about having to pay the 2000.00 before surgery so she'll help me when I get the pre-approval from my insurance and the exact surgery info from Dr S

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

Dragon try not to worry too much Things always have a way of working out when you are dealing with NOLA and the Drs there. I know easier said than done.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly, I would definetly ask about a payment plan and explain what is going. I did a payment plan for what I owed for stage one and they were pretty flexible.

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2011

Jaimih - Thanks for the info on hip flaps. It all sounds too good to be true. Right now I can't imagine breasts that are warm, can move and are comfortable. Can't wait to get to NOLA.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I know a payment plan would normally be ok, but I'm losing my job in a month or 2, and I just got braces on my daughter and took on a payment of 122.00 a month :(

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Erika - Maybe they could keep the payments really low for you? Is there any chance of getting hired on permanently where you are? Just throwing those things out there...

Ref - you will be amazed at what they can do there. I am glad you are going for a consult!

Kathryn - I am looking at your posts from yesterday and thinking that around 5:59 you were having dinner with some of us... How is it possible that you were posting at that time? LOL! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I will ask about the payments Nordy when it gets to that point, I hope so but I'm worried because Vicki at NOLA said that 2000.00 has to be paid before the insurance will kick in. They only have about 10 or less perm employees and about 40 temps.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Dragon, you will find a way to do this! This is important, and you deserve this! Everyone deserves to be whole! Don't give up!

Tig - we shipped the back max back to our home from the hotel the last day we left. We used UPS. it worked out. I think it was 20 or 30 dollars, but can't remember - everything is a blurr!! My DH handled it for me... 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2011

Nordy - OMG I must be channeling posts somehow!  I don't know how that happened - but I had a great time seeing you, Sandy and Stephanie. Stephanie and I hung around outside and talked for another hour. So much fun being with people that just "know"!  You know?  :)

Looking forward to seeing you again when you're back!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

ok, so I thought at 18 days out I was in the clear... Breast cellulitis has struck and plowed through the keflex that I was initially on :(

Emailed Laura last night - now on clindamycin since last night but had pus coming from recon nipple on right just a little while ago.  I think the breast redness looks a bit better today and I just spoke with Laura and she said to put betadine around the area (already done).

I am really bummed out.  I think it will all be ok, but just made it through a hellacious last year so positive thoughts would be appreciated!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2011

CandDsmom-  I had cellulitis after every surgery, always minor. Those damn nipples seem to harbor bad stuff. I hate healing fipples.  Good thoughts that the clin works for you!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2011

Hi ladies.  I've been quite busy getting ready for NOLA.  I've got my flight and place to stay booked.  I'll be in town May 8-17.  I've got my pre-op bloodwork + to do tomorrow.  I sent my photos in yesterday.  Why do I looks so much better in my own mirror???  I'm figuring out all the things I'm going to miss while I'm gone.  My 7yo daughter will be bridging to Girl Scout Brownies and I'll miss her 1st grade Mother's Day program.  She's been sobbing about me missing it.  I'll miss my 10 yo daughter's 5K run/walk for Girls On the Run (my sister is her partner).  No matter when I go, I'll miss something.  Next up is to write up a schedule for school drop off and pick up, practice and games and scout meetings.  It never ends!  I love reading everyone's tips and experiences.  I'm so very nervous.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

Cider... you will miss some things while you are gone, things that you think are really important... but remember... you are missing those handful of things in order to give yourself a lifetime of future things...

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

Hi Cider, I am missing my twin daughters senior prom! I feel the same sadness. I'll be in NOLA May 10 thru 20th. Having my EKG, chest x-ray, and bloodwork tomorrow also.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2011

Hi everyone!  I've been buried in work lately and now that everyone left for the day, it's quiet and I thought I'd check in.   Kathryn, you are going to be perfect after stage II--you are so close now!  It was great to see you.  I'm going to have to miss the FORCE meeting this weekend as I just have too much going on right now.  Please tell everyone hello for me.  I hope to see you again soon---maybe you can make it to the EnCourage meeting the second week of May.

heatherbless, we'll have you in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011

CandyDsMom, you have me worried. i am going back to work after stage 2B on Monday, I hope I am ready.

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

HEATHER!!! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! WE ARE THINKING OF YOU!!! Check in!!!

• Springtime
    edited April 2011

Cider, what BDavis said! You deserve this!!! YOU COUNT TOO!!! You won't regret it. Years and years of perfect boobies!!! :)

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011

Hi ladies:

I have been in NOLA for two days and met with Dr. Sullivan today.  My surgery is tomm at 7 am at Fairway:  I feel pretty good about things but:  am totally dreading the lipo and waking up in some crazy girdle.  I am totally claustrophobic and am dreading this part.  Keep you posted-- as always I love New Orleans!

Talk when I get done.  Best to all of you, heather

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2011

Good luck Heather.  Hoping all goes well for you........Linda

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

You're going to do fine, Heather. And the nurses will take such good care of you. You may be their only patient this weekend!

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011

Thanks for all of your support and encouargement!  I really just have a lot of anxiety about this compreesion garment--  I know it sounds silly! 

Love to you all--try and post tomm.

Heather

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2011

Heather - the compression garment is not so bad... really. You will do great! Hang in there and post when you feel up to it.

Kathryn -It was great meeting you too! That's awesome that you got to hang out and chat a little while longer. It was a good thing I left when I did because the line for security at LAX was out the door and took about 25 minutes to get through. Thank goodness I checked in early in the AM or I would have been waiting in that line too!

Sandy - I am so sorry that you are slammed at work. I am glad you got some time out of there but hope that you don't have to play catch up for the next couple of weeks for spending the day with me!!! I had fun!

Stephanie - If you check in here - it was so great seeing you again! 

Cider - I have little ones and they were even smaller when I had my reconstruction. It is always hard to leave the kids, especially when they are sad about it before you even go! I left my kids a note for every day that I was gone for my sister-in-law to read to them, and a bag of Hershey Kisses so that they knew they had "kisses" from me every night. You will do great... And before you know it, it will be a distant memory!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2011

Good luck, Heather!  You will do great!!!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2011

Nordy it was great to see you as well. I hope your insurance comes through for you and you are able to have the surgery. If you decide on the surgery and you need a place to stay please let me know I would love to help.

Kathryn it was great to meet you as well and I enjoyed talking with you. We talked so long we had to pay an additional fee for parking to get out of the lot. LOL. I will be in touch.

Sandy you have to stop working so much. I will talk to you soon.

Stephanie 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I loved the "DOM" compression garment, still wear it on occasion :) I'm kinda crazy like that I guess!