Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

Denouement is tomorrow.  I hope to see her this weekend.  I arrive on Saturday and will be in new orleans until the 21st........tomorrow is my last day at work and i am starting to get butterflies.  I hope I can sleep tonight.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2011
    dsnydawn  I did have my port put in at Nola.  Not during my DIEP, but I had to go back for an issue with my drains and my BC who did my bi-lat masts there put it in then.  I have been to NOLA 4 times and only needed blood once.  I am one of the FEW who have had issues, and it was due to my radiated breast skin...not anything the doctors in NOLA did wrong.  They were wonderful, and paid to fly me back there the two times I had to go for "issues".   You and whoever is there with you are treated wonderfully!  Take a deep breath and get ready to be amazed, thrilled, and happy with your results!  You are going to the best of the best!
  • kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

Denoument...thinking of you.

Tigsun - see you in two weeks!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited May 2011

I am arriving in NOLA on Sunday, hopefully playing in the French Quarter on Monday, pre-op Tues, etc.  Tigsun, I will be at your hotel I think, on Sunday evening.  Will PM you or call when I am sure.  Other ladies, do we all have each other's contact info?  I will double check tomorrow. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Oh ladies, you will have fun, besides having surgery!!! Breathe!!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2011

Denouements Mom just sent an update...everything is going PERFECTLY! Will post again later!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2011

Thanks for the update Soccermom! Yeah for Denouements!

• Soccermom4force
    edited May 2011

This just in from Denouement (Dana)'s Mom

"Surgery complete..just spoke with the plastic surgeon..he said everything went fine. No problems and Dana came through like a trooper. She will be in recovery for a few hours then will be moved to her room."

Laughing Marcia

--

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Great News!!!   Thanks Soccermom....I'm getting nervous today, that will be me next week!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

Just spoke with my insurance company, they said the pre-authorization is done. Not sure what that means but I left a message for vicki at NOLA to see what the next step is!!

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

Fingers & toes crossed Dragonfly...

• kathrynla
    edited May 2011

great news Dragonfly - sounds very hopeful!

Dana (and mom) - glad to hear it went well. Have a smooth recovery!

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Dragon, that sounds good! 

DANA, whoooo!

Hope you are okay Heather!! 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Thanks ladies, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to! I so want to go to NOLA again and be complete!!! :) I'd love to go as soon as they can get me in, so that I can be healed up by Summer!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2011

woohoo dragonfly!

i hope it all works out soon but good news on the preauth!

:)

Heather!!! thinking of you!

Dana - congrats that you are through this part!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

We've got so many ladies coming up next week! All of you have to remember to let us know how you're doing, because otherwise we worry!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

Hey, do you see my new photo?! Look at those girls and look at that stomach!

• kaitsmom
    edited May 2011

These photos are too darn small!!  But I think you look great, Minnesota!  Pretty inspiring!  Quick question, when you had your nipples done, how long did you have to "protect" them for and wear your super-size bra?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2011

So many stage 1's coming up! Those docs are going to be so ready for their vacations.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Ladies.....great news and some not so great news..... I just spoke with Vickie, all is good to go on the authorization. However, the only surgery date they have is June 21st. We bought tickets a while ago to spend the 4th in Boston, and fly out on the 27th!!! :( What am I going to do?? Do you think if I call Celesete they can do anything to move it up???

• Soccermom4force
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly,

why dont you fly to Boston from NOLA? Call the airlines and see what they can do to help?

• kaitsmom
    edited May 2011

I would definitely see if they can't move it up a bit.  But if they can't, and the recovery isn't bad, you may be able to get the airlines ot help, as Soccermom suggested.  Depends on the airline.  I like Southwest, since they never charge a change fee.

Etiquette question - did y'all tip the limo driver that the Center sends to the airport, etc?  (Guess I must be running out of important things to worry abbout!) 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

The problem is my companion is coming with me and going home from there, I think I need a companion to take the trip to Boston still if I was leaving after surgery, plus my daughter needs to get from oregon to Boston.

So I did call Celeste, no other dates available. So the 21st it is. I will take it! I will leave on the 19th, and hoping I can afford to stay 2 nights in a hotel to do some site seeing, have the surgery and be home on the 24th. Then leave again on the 27th to Boston. Wow... that makes me tired writing it, but I am SO SUPER STOKED! Stage 2 was a piece of cake for me, so Celeste said to expect the same with this one!

I didn't typically tip the drivers, because I hear they get tips or paid well for it all from the center. If they did something extra like take us to the grocery store, or give us a private little tour of the garden disctrict we did tip! They are AMAZING drivers. Hopefully you don't get Joey! He was the only one we had an awful time with!

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

did you have the same driver for the entire time you were there dragonfly?

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

Oh and Congrats on the date!!! very happy for you

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Oh no, you don't ever know which driver is coming for ya, but I did have the same one a couple times. I love love loved all of them! The thing with Joey was he was over an hour late taking me to my post op appt, then when he picked us up he was so rude didn't open our door, didn't even speak all the way to the appt!, etc...

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2011

I just posted a rather long new topic on how to prepare for free flap surgery.  Please be sure to add your favorite things too!  (I posted on Charleston as well)

• kathrynla
    edited May 2011

I just came back from the gynecologist.  I had decided not to go back to the one I had been seeing for 20 years since I hated how he dealt with my cancer and BRCA2+ diagnosis (not to mention my fertility issues a few years back.) Anyway, it was time for a change. I switched to a wonderful doctor who was very knowledgeble about BRCA and has a hot sh*t 3D doppler u/s machine to look at my ovaries (which I am now getting ultrasounded every 3 months.) Four months ago, right before Stage 1 they looked good and the CA-125 was nice and low.

This was my yearly check up so we redid the CA-125. They also took a look at my ovaries their hi-tech u/s machine with doppler and they found a suspicious cyst - some blood flow along the top (bad sign). The doctor told me he wanted to me to get into see a gynocological oncologist right away for a second opinon on the u/s.  I had someone I was thinking of meeting with in the Fall (once I was done with my breasts and the summer is over) to discuss a prophlyactic oopherectomy (although deep down I wasn't even sure I was going to get it for a few years - I was going to "see".)

I have now left two messages in the last 2 hours for the gyn/onc's appointment setter and have yet to hear back.  I'm not only freaked out that I might have ovarian cancer but also freaked that I might have to postpone my stage 2.  Beyond that, just the thought of another type of cancer eating its way through my body (at the same time I had breast cancer) may be more than I can handle.  

Not sure what to do with myself right now. I hate all of this waiting and not know... but I thought that maybe some of the women here would have some words of advice.

Thanks!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Oh Kathryn, I'm not familiar with cysts, is it possible it's just that, a cyst? I can totally relate, this is similar to getting the biopsy done after my breast ultra sound did not look good. The waiting game is intense and sends one over the edge. I'm a pretty intense person, I'd probably drive my butt down there, or call and call... What about your regular GYN or oncologist???

Sending you big hugs!! XO

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Eve, the pic is too teensy!! But I know you are one hot mama!

Amy, we tip. there is one driver who refuses tips, that is Glenn, our favorite!!!

About the nips, I think you keep the protector on for several weeks. Sandy kept hers on longer hoping it would retain it's "pop" more. I can't remember, maybe some other ladies can remember how long the nips are protected? I know I could not wear any compression tops for months. Afraid to sqwoosh the little guy!

DRAGON!!! YOU ARE IN!!!! You go girl! YOU will figure out the stuff!!! So glad for you!