Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

I have a few questions about before and after. Well, actually I have about a million questions, but I'll use some restraint! A few women have said recently that banking blood seemed like a good plan, and some have even needed it. Will they let you give it on pre-op day? Seems kind of close to surgery, but since I'm travelling, I don't know how I'd do it otherwise.

Once back at the hotel, do people usually make do with hotel pillows for propping up in bed. So many women say they sleep in recliners or with wedges once home, Im wondering  how to manage during those first uncomfortable days?

Last for now,Laughing, What is the long term situation with bras? Once out of the post-op bra ( how long, BTW ?) what sort of bra is recommended from then on. With implants and no nipples, bras are a disaster -- never filled out at the ends, and way too uncomfortable. Since my implants are more like TE's in how they act ( and feel!) I just wear cami's.  But on the implant forums there is a lot of controversy, and this is a very hot topic. Some PS's are insistent on underwires 24/7 to support the implant and others totally opposed to underwires as they might poke against numb skin and be unnoticed. Some say one must wear a bra always, others say braless is OK. Whats the story after flaps?

Thanks 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

I am going to NOLA for a consult and am going to ask them about donating blood then... although they may not want it as it will be one week post chemo... If that doesn;t work, I am going to ask about donating here and having it sent down by medical transport.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2011

Hmm. Thats a thought. I will look into that. Thanks!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited April 2011

I know nothing about the subject of banking blood, that's new to me.

I slept in my recliner a lot after my double MX After the DIEP I did use the recliner at the hope lodge but as soon as I was home I slept in my bed with lots of pillows. Having to sleeping on my back was the main part of why I liked the chair.

Surgical bras, I can't remember after stage 1 and stage 2 what the length of time to wear them was. I'm guessing 2 - 4 weeks? Then after that I think they say whatever is comfortable. Others may be able to answer that better. I have one bra with no wire, and wear a lot of cami's with the bra built in. 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2011

Jerusha-I have a bleeding disorder and definitely want to bank blood. What I know so far is that I need to arrange to donate blood at my local blood bank 3-5 weeks before surgery. I'm not sure how the transport is then arranged to NOLA. It's on my list of things to arrange and figure out!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2011

ref - Welcome! Lots of women on here had been told locally that we didn't have enough fat for flaps, and then ended up with perfectly great breasts from NOLA. I don't know about filling out your skin envelope, but I would bet Dr. S will give you some options. I'm 5-8, 125 lbs and they found enough fat on my hips to do bilateral flaps. I didn't think there was any, but they found it!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2011

laughlines - I was just on the picture forum. Nordy directed me to your thread. You look amazing! I don't know how Dr. S found any fat on you to make such beautiful breasts. I am 5'9'' but easily 10 lbs heavier than you. I hope that means that he will be able to achieve as good a result for me.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

I had no problem being comfortable in the bed in my hotel post-op. You may want to ask for extra pillows. You just build yourself a nest and settle in.

The docs want you to wear the bras they give you for quite a while after surgery (I can't remember how many weeks/months either). You are not supposed to wear underwire.

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2011

Ref - I used my GP for my helper Dr. I didn't have drains anymore but I did go see him @ 2 week post op to check some skin issues which my PS wanted to keep an eye on.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

Usually you need to donate your blood about a month before surgery, so you can repelnish your own stores. You don't want to go into surgery a pint low, then have a bleed...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2011

Count down for Heather!! Thinking of you, girl.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Funny how the info varies. I'm pretty sure for stage 1 the surgical bra was 4 weeks. I know underwire bras were talked about, I thought they said it was fine to wear them??

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

So excited for you heather :)

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2011

Thinking about your Heather! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2011

I know the underwire wasn't supposed to be worn because I literally removed wire with a pliers on two different bras. My way of protecting my new nipples has been to buy a bra that is quite a bit bigger than the ones I would usually wear (and even bigger, to accomodate swelling). I make sure that it has a good, stiff cup and that it has enough extra space inside that it won't press on the nipple protector at all. That way, if you have to wear, say, a winter coat, it isn't pushing right on your nipple, which it can do if you're wearing no bra at all. I have referred to it as my "Big Bra." Anyway, since they are big, with a good strong cup, they always have underwire. So I've had to remove the wire because I know we aren't supposed to wear that.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I have an email in to Stacy at the center because I'd swear by the underwire being ok after a certain amount of time. I don't wear any but I'd like to know for in the future so I don't damage the goods.

Also ladies, wish me luck. I sent photos to Stacy and Dr S to see about some revisions. Mainly the upper belly ab I want and nipples, and to reduce the left a little more. She said she'd meet with Dr S, then run it by my insurance. Cross your fingers that my insurance doesn't throw a fit. It's a different company than I had before for my stage 1 & 2.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2011

Heather, it's this FRIDAY!!!!

After surgery at the hotel (stage 1) I used the Back Max Wedge, (google it!) and had it shipped to Katie at the Center (they are great about that). We still use it! So it was not a "waste". Didn't need it after Stage 2. (or 2B!)

I couldn't wear any bra for a while, then moved to really soft stretchy ones (barely there) and then moved to me "regular" bras later. I don't need any underwire! I have a lot of lift!! :)  I could go without a bra. Damn, at my age too! :)

I did require a blood transfulsion after Stage 1 (remember, I had 4 flaps, front and back) but this is not usually the case. I had 2 units of NOLA blood. Sort of freaked me out, but what can you do? So banking ahead of time is a good plan. BDAVIS, please report back to all on what you find out...

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

Granted, I didn't have stage 1 at NOLA, but I did get my brother and dad to donate a unit each for me (we weren't sure who was the same blood type so my folks and my brother all went about 5 days prior to my surgery to the bloodbank to give a directed donation).  I ended up needing both units so I was glad to have them.

My PS had to fax the order in to the bloodbank and then they shipped it to my hospital. I think for directed donations to yourself you have to donate at least 1-3 months in advance in order to build your supplies back up but perhaps check with the Center on this? They would probably know how to work it if you were getting a directed donation from a family member too..

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2011

Can someone point me in the direction of the picture forum? 

one last thing i need to get for my trip is a wedge pillow.  i have my comfy clothes/pjs and slip on shoes/slippers.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

PM member - Timtam and she can get you set up on the site.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011

I just spoke with Stacy at NOLA and to donate at home and have it sent down, its the patients financial responsibilty... She could not answer my question about time frame and whether I can donate while finishing up chemo, but suggested I start by asking my oncologist... And if he is ok, then Penny at St Charles Hospital would be able to assist me from there... She did say that I can't donate the day before surgery (which I understand) because I would be compromising myself.

• tigsun
    edited April 2011

Thanks Dragonfly...i will do that

Springtime - I googled back max - Were you able to get that home on the plane easily?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Well I spoke with NOLA, and my new insurance does cover out of network surgery, however.......... I now have a $2000.00 out of pocket minimum that I have to pay before they'll kick in. I just feel sick to my stomach. I only have insurance for the next 2 or 3 months tops, there is no way I can come up with $2000.00 in that time :(

• tigsun
    edited April 2011

Oh no Dragonfly1976.  I'm sorry.  I am out of network also and I am putting my costs on a 0% interest credit card.  I don't know if that is an option for you to buy you some more time.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I would totally do a loan or credit card, but my job is ending in May or June. I'd be so afraid I couldn't pay on it.

• tigsun
    edited April 2011

I am trying to think of options for you so you get this done while you have health insurance because the costs of having surgery without insurance are way more than $2000.  Rather than you being able to pay back a loan or credit card I am more afraid of you not getting the surgery you want.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

I know, I'm thinking and thinking.....Have to kind of figure it out in a little amount of time.

• mommemau2
    mommemau2 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011

For DIEP flap I was told not to wear any bra or underwear at all.  I have worn big t-shirts and yoga pants for 5 weeks!

http://mommemau2.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/in-search-of-symmetry-day-28-breast-reconstruction/

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2011

Dragonfly - I am wondering if there is there a role for Breastoration money to be granted to you here?  I really don't know all that much about it, but here is a website.

Hope this helps!

http://breastoration.org/

• Dragonfly1976
    edited April 2011

Thanks CanDsMom, I'm going to check that site out and the ACS to see what I can do.