Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011
    For those of you who have never been to NOLA... I lived there for 5 years (went to college at Tulane) and it is a great city.. lots to do, unique atmosphere, super music and food... just walking the Quarter is an experience.. and Jazz Fest is great too.. TIGSUN... if you do get to Jazz Fest, try some of the local food (alligator, andouille sausage etc)
  • macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2011

Sandy and I talked about extending our reunion trip in October. My sister is a travel agent and she very thoughtfully put this together. She has reserved a block of rooms for us. Please contact Doreen Lipinski if you are interested in joining us for the cruise. For those of you that may be traveling as a single, Doreen will keep a list to pair you up with a roommate unless you have pre-arranged to share a room. The deposit is fully refundable until June 20, 2011. I will keep you all posted. Happy sailing............

Stephanie

"NOLA Reunion"

Come join us after the Susan G. Koman Race on October 22, 2011 and cruise away.

October 23 - 30, 2011

Norwegian Cruise Line "SPIRIT"

Round-trip New Orleans

Itinerary:

October 23 - New Orleans

October 24 - Day @ Sea

October 25 - Costa Maya

October 26 - Roatan Island

October 27 - Belize City

October 28 - Cozumel

October 29 - Day @ Sea

October 30 - New Orleans

INSIDE Stateroom - $553.00 p.p.

OCEAN VIEW with window - $703.00 p.p.

OCEAN VIEW BALCONY - $903.00 p.p.

Rates are per person double (2) occupancy includes all port charges and taxes.

Airfare, Transfers, Pre and Post hotels and travel insurance not included in above rate.

In order to HOLD your stateroom a $250.00 p.p. Deposit is required by May 15

Deposit is fully refundable before final payment June 20/11

If interested please contact:

Doreen Lipinski - Atlantic Pacific Travel

Doreen.Lipinski@AtlanticPacificTravel.com

(408) 850-8532

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

I am in the twilight zone. Lol. First the plane was delayed an hour. Then we get on the plane and there are technical difficulties. We have to get on another plane.

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

As much as that sounds super... my boss might have something to say about that time off... plus believe it or not, I may be down there for my Stage II... that is exactly 3 months post Stage I and i am walking in the Avon Fundraiser the week before in NYC, so...

For those who go... enjoy!!!!

• tigsun
    edited May 2011

My trip to nola is taking a little longer than expected. First there was a delay. Then we have been on and off two "unsafel" planes. Now waiting to board a third plane. Ha ha yes I am in the twilight zone. Now I am glad I decided to fly in a couple of days early.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2011

Tigsun-Wow. What an odyssey. Hope that you're on a safe plane in the air soon!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

good grief, TIGSUN, I hope you got on a safe plane and made it down there!

Amy, I changed your date to Monday 10th. This happened to me before too, breathe!! It is all good! You'll be recovered sooner!, I know you're at a wedding, hope you're having fun and not *freaking*!!

Dragon, I added your date  July 21 and then moved to June 21!! Too bad, I was thinking you and BDavis would be there together!

Kathryn, thinking of you. We hope for the best on Monday! Let us know what happens. You Breathe Too! Everybody breathe!!! :)

If anybody wants to be added to the list , let me know.

Denoument  - glad everything is going so well! I was also one of those up and around very quickly, and somehow, I think this helps you heal faster, so once you start it sort of is like a ball rolling or something! I know I am an extreme metabolizer of drugs (like anesthesia, I pop right awake fast) so I've always wondered if this is also a reason, that the gunk is out of my system faster. In any case, so glad you reported in and are doing so fabulously well!!!

Dragon, that is funny about the Moneleone. We must have been down there at a time of year that was dead or something. I think both Trisha and I paid less than 100. Oh well!!! Sorry that didn't work out! 

Hotel rates for the Breast Center are listed on this page, you can see the negotiated rates for teh Montelone and others here:   http://breastcenter.com/support/travel_accommodations.php

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

I'm so torn on the hotels, they all look so beautiful. Really I know it's warm there, and we're going to be there 2 days before surgery. I'd love to find one with a great pool, and prefer a continental breakfast to cut costs too.

Funny how they are completely booked in June at the center, but I'm the only one from the board going. Bummer!

• Springtime
    edited May 2011
    Oh, somebody above was asking about how long between Chemo and recon at the center. 

I was just looking at the "Ask the Doctor" site, (see: http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/index.html?1290441250 ) and this question was just asked. Here is what Dr. D, said: "Neoadjuvant therapy is often the best way to go and can produce dramatic response. We usually schedule surgery for about 3 weeks post treatment depending on blood counts and so forth."
  • tigsun
    edited May 2011

I made it!!!  At the hotel.  All is well.

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

YEAH!!!

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Thanks for the update tigsun...was thinking about you...Hope you can relax a little now..see you soon

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2011

WHEW. And I've been sitting on my bed answering emails since you were on the way to the airport. Doesn't seem possible! Enjoy your vacation phase!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2011

For those who are somewhat struggling with finacial arrangements to go to NOLA remember Mercy Medical will pay for 1 flight per year for you and your companion.

I am going for an ultra sound and ultrasound aspiration due to seroma ( they think) Returned to work and came home with my abdomen incision swollen and red so they put me on an antibiotic and seem to be allergic so now I am on antibiotic number 2. Otherwise I feel pretty good being only 4 weeks out. Even my breast incisions look so much better this time than the past 3 surgeries. This one you can literally barely see them. Love my breasts. I went smaller this last surgery and what a great decision. ( I can see my feet LOL) 

Hope all is well with everyone . Sending prayers and hugs to all 

• toomuch
    edited May 2011

Happy Mother's Day to all you NOLA ladies. I'm so grateful for this thread!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2011

Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers or women who have given a mothers love!!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011

Just thought I would check in with my NOLA surgery buddies and thank you all for you updates and your encouragement.  I'm now day 4 post op in NOLA and things are continuing to go great!  Yesterday I check out at the hospital and moved to the Homewood suites--all is well here, no real problems getting in and out of bed or using the bathroom.  Last night my mom made me dinner here and I got some decent sleep...still woke up a couple of times to take pain pills but I was always able to get back to sleep eventually.  Much better than being woken up every couple of hours in the hospital!  Still taking it slow but doing more and more for myself.  This morning I took a shower and washed my hair all on my own!  I was even able to dry my hair with just a little help from mom and a chair in the bathroom.  I'm resting a bit before getitng ready to head out for a walk around the hotel area--just a couple of blocks to get things moving--looking forward to seeing the outside world a bit.  One funny thing I missed yesterday walking around the hotel was that every person I passed didn't tell me how great I looked and didn't cheer me for moving around :-)

Still sore and achy but taking my pain pills round the clock and continuing to progress a bit every day...looking forward to hearing how things go for everyone else and really hoping that you all have it as good as I do--go us!

Tigsun, so sorry to hear about all your flight drama but glad you made it here okay...i'm around the next couple of days so whatever works for you...let's meet up!

thanks again everyone, and happy mothers day to all!

~dana

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

Tigsun - what a journey! Hopefully the rest is a piece of cake!

Denoument - what a great update! Sounds like you are doing amazing! Keep sendin the reports.

SallyM - Glad the breasts are looking good - hope the seromas and infection clear up soon. Take it easy.

And Happy Mother's Day to all of you Moms on the list.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2011

Just checking in to say Happy Mothers day to all my BC sisters!  Luv u ladies!

• SAMayoFL
    SAMayoFL Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2011

Toomuch, I am scheduled for August 3 too but I am scheduled with Drs. Kline and Craigie in South Carolina.  Stay in touch and I hope we all do great!

Susan

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly - did you have Katie try and book the room for you? I think sometimes you have to go through the center to get those rates. Please call her and let her see what she can do for you!

Macksix - I want to go!!! But you know I don't want to leave my kids that long... but how fun!!!

Sally - glad to hear you are feeling okay! Keep us posted!

Tigsun - good heavens. What airline were you flying??? Glad you got there!

Kathryn... What in the world??? Thinking benign thoughts and sending positive vibes!!! Hang in there.

Everyone, Happy Mother's Day!!!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2011

Happy Mothers Day !!!!!!!

Sheri bring the kids. They have wonderful programs for the kids during the day and evening with tons of activities. The programs are spilt up into appropriate age groups from 3-17yrs. The kids will have a ball and you will have some nice R & R with your hubby. I will try to get some info out to you about the programs and the cost for them to cruise.

Stephanie

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011
    Stephanie - Let me know and I will talk to my husband... Cruising that time of year in the Caribbean should be cheap since it is hurricane season and all... LOL...Surprised
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Cruise sounds fun, but unemployment doesn't pay enough sadly! Have a blast :)

Nordy, I don't know what price Katie could get at that hotel. She did get me set up at Bienville for 139 on Saturday and 99 on Sunday.

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Happy Mother's Day! All I did today was eat and rest and visit with my inlaws! Perfect day for a change!

I have been texting with Amy (KaitsMom) and she is safely in NOLA! My last text from her - she was riding a street car!! 

Denou... glad you are doing so well! You rock it!! What you describe is what I remember. Sore, achy a bit, but not too much "pain"...

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

Well, I finally had some time to sit down and look at the TVU report before tomorrow's appt. I saw that one of the two cysts is a septated cyst and apparently this is pretty bad news. High chance of cancer and high chance they'll want to do an immediate oophorectomy.  I'm pretty distressed about putting off stage 2.  If I have OC then I guess it could be a 6 months or longer before I can get there.  If it's not OC then I'm still looking at putting it off for months.  Based on reading on the internet I doubt the gyn/onc is going to want to wait and see - even 6 weeks.  Feeling like this is a pretty crappy Mother's Day. Sorry for venting but I'm pretty upset.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

I arrived in NOLA tonight!  My husband drove us and it took about 10 hours.  We are staying in the French Quarter and I had an insanely rich creole dinner.  I'll be eating much lighter tomorrow.  My day is filled with appointments tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to meeting the Drs and staff.  

Denoument I'm loving your updates.  It's keeping my worries at bay.   

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Kathryn, when is your appt with the gyn, tomorrow? The good thing is even in the worst case scenario, they've been watching you like a hawk! Did they say how big the cyst (s) are? I'll be thinking of you, please keep us posted!

• toomuch
    edited May 2011

Kathryn-Can't imagine what you're feeling. It stinks that this ultrasound finding is wreaking havoc on your plans. Still hoping for reassuring news from the gyn-onc tomorrow.

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Kathryn, what I am hoping is that if it is anything close to "C" they get it the hell OUT OF YOUR BODY ASAP. Stage 2 will be all the sweeter. Don't mess with C!!

This is a busy busy week for our NOLA sisters. Check this out below!!

• May 10 - Cider8 - stage 1 BMX immediate DIEP w/Dr S, NOLA.
    • May 10- Kaitsmom - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA
    • May 11 - DsynDawn - Stage 1, Dr. D., NOLA.
    • May 11 - Tigsun - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. S., NOLA.
    • May 12 - Jerusha - Stage 1 Bilateral DIEP - removal of my gummy bear ( cohesive silicone gel -- still only available as part of investigational protocol) implants and then bilat DIEP. Dr S is primary, Dr. D co-surgeon. NOLA!!