Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011

I heard from Dawn (thru her ?) she is doing well...

So glad to hear that everyone had a good day.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011

Ref - It couldn't be more right. You will do awesome. I am glad that you are seeing Doctor Sullivan!!! Give all the girls there hugs from me (Celeste, Stacy, Katie, Trish).

Spring - I had to go look up denouement too!!! (I did that before I got to your post!) Also, I came across this for you and I think I might try the estriol... :http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/aug2008_Estriol-Its-Weakness-is-its-Strength_01.htm

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

So... headed to NOLA on Saturday and of course watching the news and the rising waters on the Mississippi... but my friend who teaches at Tulane in the Geology Dept and who has been actively involved in the levies since Katrina says:

"River is very high, I've been watching daily. They opened the Bonne Carre Spillway to drain some water to the Lake. We should be ok for a couple of weeks High water still in Tennessee). Another spillway at Baton Rouge may be opened (this one has not been opened in 30+ years) through the Atchafalaya basin. Could possibly flood low lying areas of Houma area about 1 west of here.  All ok nothing to worry about"

So.. if anyone else was worried, that's the latest from an insider.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2011

My pre-op day went really well. Sooo different from any prior medical experiences. My CT tech even lifted her shirt to show me the beautiful breasts Dr. S created for her several years ago. And even let me have a little feel! SO kind and generous of her. Stopped in for a hello with Amy who was looking positively lovely.  Between the amazing and attentive staff members we met with all day, the CT techs gorgeous boobies, Amy's spectacular 24h post-op appearance, and a surprise visit with Dr. Massey who said she was going to stop in at 7 AM before she heads to the airport to wrap my arm, I am feeling much more ready to go. Not to mention that the place is spotless.! And Dr. S was not displeased with the "extra tummy" I brought along this time! (Have gained 10 or so # since my consult last fall...). So, all marked up and ready for my Hibiclens showers. AT the Monteleone which is quite nice. Planning where to go for dinner. All I want is Bananas Foster!!

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

Jerusha - So glad all went well! You will do great tomorrow!!! Have a great evening!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

I am on the other side. It is amazing her. I love it so far.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

this is dawn husband,she went into surgery at 7am to 3pm the recovery till 5pm and in her room and eating ice chips and getting set up for the nite the finnally a nap at 6pm, all the docs said every thing went well.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

she is in room 217

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

dsnydawn and tigsun: WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

I am sad to say that I will not be going to NOLA this month :(  The gyn/onc called me an hour ago and said he doesn't feel comfortable with my waiting until mid-June to do my oophorectomy.  So I am now scheduled to come back from DC (where my stepson is graduating from college this weekend) and have my oophorectomy on Tuesday afternoon.

Right now I am rescheduled for my Stage 2 on June 16th.  So Dragonfly, we may have a bit of overlap. I'm planning on heading home on the 20th.

Hope all of you in NOLA have an amazing time!  I'll be thinking of you.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

Dianna: This is Theresa's friend, she typed the above from the cell phone - with one  arm.

tigsun: Had to break out the laptop but I still can't really work it cause my one arm is bandaged. I think i'm a freak of nature because i've been up since getting out of the recovery room about 2. The chapstick tip is great. I love it here and i never want to leave the hospital! will write more when I can use my laptop. Hopefully I will take a nap now. Hello dsnydawn - I'm waving through the wall.

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

Kathryn. I am sorry that things are not going as planned... but better to have those ovaries out than in if there is even a question about that cyst. It will be okay and will give your breasts another month to settle, giving Dr. S an even greater opportunity to make everything perfect. Hang in there. Everything will be okay. ((((hugs))))

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011

hey everyone.  I had my post op today (surgery was a week ago today) and I saw Dr. D when he was done with DsynDawn...everything is looking great and they removed 3 of 4 drains already!  Dr. D said my girls were looking great and I have to agree!  Then went went to the hospital and checked in with Tigsun who is also looking great!  I left cards for DsynDawn, Cider8 and Kaitsmom--hope you get them!  Also said hi to all the nurses and thanked them profusely for all their help--what a great crew! 

I'm flying home to CA tomorrow--as nice as the hospital and the hotel are I am SO excited to get home!  After my post op I went with my mom and friend to the French Quarter - had lunch and some bananas foster and walked around Royal and Bourbon street for a while.  Did I mention I am 7 days post op?!?!  Things are going great, a little better every day.  Excited to hear how things are going for everyone else.  It only gets better from here.

• SAMayoFL
    SAMayoFL Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2011

Hey Ladies, I hope you don't mind me barging in here.  I am scheduled for DIEP surgery in Charleston but still follow this thread because it is so active and I get good tips and info from you all.

Kathryn, I had to jump in and say that I am in a similar situation with my ovaries.  I have been through so much in the past 8 months and I just don't want to deal with having a oomph and dealing with instant menopause on top of everything else. My plan was to maybe watch my ovaries through the OB GYN and CA 125 for a couple of years and then do something either as I get closer to 50 or if something started looking abnormal.  Your story has convinced me that maybe I should do something sooner rather than later.  I truly hope everything goes great for you on Tuesday and I will be waiting to hear about your pathology.  Good luck with everything!

BTW, I am scheduled for August 3.  As my date gets closer I may post again so you can all be thinking of me too!!  LOL!!!

Susan

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

Dawn and Theresa... glad you are on the other side... yeah!!!

Kathryn... sorry it isn't happening next week... better safe than sorry... and I'll miss you on Monday :(

Rhonda... still on?? I had told Kathryn I am tentative for drinks because I will be staying with friends and need to make sure I am free.. You have my cell number... maybe PM me yours?

Watching Treme on TV now... NOLA bound!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

Hi ladies.  I'm doing OK recovering.  I was able to take three laps around the floor today!  One lap, then 2 laps a few hours later.  I did see tigsun's sign but I just wanted to get back to my room.  I got my IV pain meds out this afternoon.  Tomorrow is shower day!  Everyone here is amazing.  They are all asking me how I found out about this place---from our message board, of course!  I will be here until Friday night.  

I did get some news I was not thrilled about.  One of my lymphnodes came back positive.  It looks like I'll most likely need chemo?  My med onc and I were pretty hopeful that I wouldn't need chemo or rads.  I'm not very sure what's going on, it's hard for me to follow right now.  I won't really know anything until after final pathology anyway, so no need to worry for now.  I hope I do know something before I go home Tuesday afternoon.

It looks like I needed a flap of skin on my cancer side.  My tumor was close to the surface around the nipple.  Dr Stolier chuckled a little at Sullivan's markings and had to draw way out of Sullivan's lines for clean margins.  My surgery took about 7 hours; I'm guessing it was because I needed more nodes taken out.  

I'm tired!  Maybe I'll be up for some visiting tomorrow.   

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

I should also so woohoo to Cider and Kaitsmom too.. sorry I'll miss you Cider on Saturday, but I'm sure you'll be glad to move on.. Sorry to hear about the node... If you need chemo, it isn't horrible... I just finished yesterday from 6 TX of taxotere and cytoxan... stay positive!! Rhonda (ref) and I are trying to meet up Monday evening for a drink at 7pm at Hotel Montelione... if you're up to it, join in.

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2011

Kathryn - I am so sorry you have had this upheaval to your plans but glad that you will be taking care of this now. It will be better to get it behind you so you can have just positive thoughts when you get to your stage 2. And June 16 is not very far away at all! I will, however, miss seeing you on the 16th. I'll have an extra drink for you ;-)

• ref
    edited May 2011

Betsey, yes, I would still love to meet. I'll PM you with my cell.

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

Ah... you already gave it to me...

• ref
    edited May 2011

Well, I sent it again! Looking forward to meeting you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Wow, so much going on here!!

Love and healing to all those in NOLA at the moment!! How exciting, I hope you do room visits and see each other lapping in the halls! :) (Brings back good memories!)

Kathryn, I changed your date. That was wonderful they can get you in so fast! It wasn't a big delay...

Cider, hang in there, you WILL be okay. Just heal for now.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW JERUSHA!!! Soon you too will be on "the other side" !!!

Hi Amy!!! Hope you are okay!!! Thinking of you!!! 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

Kathryn - I know it's not what you wanted to do with rescheduling the NOLA trip, but I am super excited that you'll be there when I am! I hope to get in on the 18th or 19th. So we'll have to hook up :)

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

I just took 4 more laps!  I saw kaitsmom sign too.  I'll put mine out tomorrow I think.  I'm staying in a rental home, a shotgun home.  I'm looking forward to it.  I get my cath out in the morning.  We're leaving it in tonight so I can get a good night sleep.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2011

Wow, DENOUMENT-It sounds like you've done incredibly well. Reading your posts takes some of my nerves away. Thanks!

cider8, kaitsmom, dsynDawn and Tigsun-Wishing you a a restful night and a healing day tomorrow.

SAMayoFL-I'd love to stay in touch. I'm glad to "know" someone having surgery the same time as me. I hope that someone else joins this thread who is having surgery in NOLA early August!

BDavis-How long are you planning to stay in NOLA after your surgery? I'll be arriving August 1st. Will you still be there? 

• bdavis
    edited May 2011

I think I will be leaving July 31...  My surgery is a Thursday and my daughter will fly in the following Friday, so I plan to stay til Sunday but she is due back in class and work on Monday.. Sorry I'll miss you... 10 days down there is enough... especially in the July heat.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2011

It's so much fun to get updates from all you gals in NOLA. It brings back memories for me, too. Good ones! I was all ready to just type out a big HURRAY for everyone, but then saw Kathryn's post...

Kathryn - So sorry it didn't work out as planned, but I agree with Ref. I think it's best you get this taken care of first. Now you'll just have more time to look forward to NOLA!

Cider - And so sorry about the maybe positive node. Like Springtime said - just try to focus on healing now. Everything will be okay.

SAMayoFl - Stop by and post, whenever! We're all one big sisterhood with great breasts or soon-to-be great breasts!

BDavis - Thanks for the flood report! I actually was worried, but now feel better.

So I remembered I was going to respond to someone last nite, but can't find my notes now. Not Jerusha. Jeschaki? I'm so bad with names. Anyway, I also am in your club with one DIEP breast and one GAP breast! I haven't noticed a difference between them in weight gain or loss, but haven't had the GAP one that long and haven't fluctuated much in weight. You ask a very interesting question, tho!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

And good luck tomorrow, Jerusha!

And Bdavis - try to remember to give us a shoe report on Dr. D's shoes next week! And also any of you who have post-ops with him!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Thinking of Jerusha!!! And the ladies recovering... 

• Minnesota
    edited May 2011

Me too! I'm thinking she must be done, now. Just think - everyone has this big step behind them now!