Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011

kaitsmom and dragonfly, I'm sorry--I guess that wasn't quite enough information to be understandable!   After I had my initial nipple recon, (having asking for barely there), they were exactly that.  Then one day,  discussing with my DH, I learned that he was wondering why I didn't ask for something more like the originals.  I decided that I'd changed my mind about them, so Dr. D tried to build them up for me a couple of times (after we found that Radiesse only lasted me for about 2-3 months).  He did some dermal fat grafts for projection and palpability, but they didn't last for me.  My sister thinks that after a few to several Radiesse injections done in a crosshatch pattern, new collagen will form in the current nipples and they'll end up firmer.  However, they look great and I'm really not bothered by it anymore.   After Dr. D did the last attempt at grafting to build them up (Oct 2009), I wore the nipple guards faithfully for SIX MONTHS!!!!!!  Honestly, I only took them off to shower.  Within a couple of days after I stopped wearing them, I could tell that it really hadn't made a difference.  After the disappointment of failure after being so diligent for so long, I didn't even mention the nipples before my final surgery last October.  Dr. D did some Radiesse or something similar again at that time, but I don't seem to keep it where it belongs for very long.  He has mentioned thin skin in the reconstructed nipple as a reason why they may flatten out, and I think that, along with the breast skin being pretty tight in my case, is pulling everything flat.   I am really over it though.  I have had so much on my plate the past few months that I haven't had time to think about nipples.  Minnesota won't believe that, but's it's true!!  My scars are fading and I'm glad to be done with surgeries.  Of course, I could always change my mind again, but Dr. D would probably have me committed in that case.

Hopefully, I've explained better this time, although it's late and I am really wiped out.  I haven't been able to catch up and get a full night of sleep since the marathon in the ER the other day!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2011

Sandy, did I miss something?  What happened in the ER?

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2011

If my memory serves me correctly Sandy had to take her son to the ER or her son ended up in the ER.  something like that if i am remembering correctly.

Last night's side sleep went well!  i wanted to sleep on the left side but was more comfy sleeping on the right side.  So right it was!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2011

Sandy, thanks for a great explanation!  It really helps me to understand better, and I am especially glad to hear you say that when you told him you wanted "barely there" that he could do that.  Except when I was breastfeeding, my nipples were always pretty flat (and it was a bit of a problem breastfeeding in fact, until we got going).  So I am hopeful that he can construct something pretty similar to that.  I have pictures from prior to my breast reduction and my MX, so I hope he can come pretty close to that.  I cannot believe you wore the nipple guards for 6 months!  Surely there must be an award or something for that!  

And what happened in the ER??!!  Hope you are ok! 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited June 2011

Wow thanks ladies for all the input!! Of course I would be doing this at the beginning of Summer. Is that a dumb move??? We love to swim, did I just screw myself out of swimming all summer :(

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2011

hey ladies, thanks for the info.  I am not wanting anyone to leave for facebook--no offense.  Just like to share life stories there--thanks for your input!  Love you all, heather

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

Heather, when are you heading to Raleigh?

• lesliet
    lesliet Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2011

Do they make your nipples at stage 1?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Nipples are done at stage 2. I opted to wait on them at stage 2 and am now having them done, so a stage 2B??

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

Or would that be Stage 2N?  (ha! ha!)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

ha ha ha good one Laura :)

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2011

Laura, I'm taking it as a good sign that you are laughing !

Sandy, thanks for the info. Six months! Yikes. Good thing we have interminable winter where I live! Glad to know about the "barely there" possibilities. I'd like the option of braless-ness if I get perkier at stage 2. Hope you are ok....ER and all...

After all of the side sleeping talk I decided I just couldn't wait one more day. I was having visions...hallucinations, maybe, of curling up in bed on my side. I found that lying flat pulled on my tummy too much, and really being on my side hurt my boobies, but still half sitting, tho slightly on my hip and shoulder instead of just on my back made a delightful difference. For the first time in a month I slept drug-free and stayed in bed all night. Every single night previous I was up walking around every 2 hours. YAY. And feeling so encouraged, I drove my car finally. Went for a haircut, lunch and took my daughters to Urban Outfitters....very humanoid!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2011

I'm so excited. My friend who had stage 3 BC, did her mastectomy, had an expander put in, then chemo and rads is coming to NOLA for a consult. Dragonfly and JustLaura she'll come for drinks  with us on the 20th!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

How awesome, can't wait!!! :) That will be so fun to meet up!

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011
    haha  Jerusha - I was becoming obsessed with side-sleeping.  I finally tried it last night and even trying the half sitting, sleeping just a bit on your side, it was too uncomfortable Frown   So by 4:30am I was back to my back!  I will try again tonight though.  For me, it was mostly my muscles in my abs that were pulling.  I just couldn't get it right . . .  As for the breasts, still sore . . .  May ladies - cider8, tigsun, dsnydawn, etc, - who else still has fairly sore breasts?  Does it seem to be mostly in the same spot all the time?  And if you don't mind sharing, who is taking what for pain?  I am just hoping I am 'normal' . . .
  • tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2011

Hi kaitsmom

for the most part i have no breast pain.  a twinge every now and then is it.  my abdominal incision is my area for discomfort when i try to stand straight.

I took my last pain pill memorial day weekend.  it was a lortab.  since then i havent taken anything, no tylenol, advil, motrin etc.  i did take some boiron homeopathic pellets my naturopathic doctor told me to take post op but i finished the last of that today.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

OH my gosh, so much and I just skimmed! 

About the oncotype, they cannot do it on tissue after it's been through chemo. You need pre chemo tissue. I didn't have enough left from the biopsy! So if you want that done ( and it can also direct whether you get AI vs Tamoxifen, one onc here says depending on Onc score, if aggressive, he does AI not Tam, just FYI). Anyway, I found I could not have it done!!

• Springtime
    edited June 2011

Betsy, try an under armour T shirt. This is what I use for my LE areas on side of chest under arm pit area, and I have found it works like a charm! (I also use this and sleeve preventatively when I cycle or exercise or garden). I have had minimal tructal LE issues since I discovered the the under armour T. Some women get a size smaller and wear inside out. I have several sizes. I wear when flying on plane too, works so good for me.

Laura, 2N, hahahahahaha!! 

• Springtime
    edited June 2011

Oh ONE MORE THING!!! This thread is having it's 2 year anniversary later this month! I can't believe it!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Springtime great tip on the shirt, I have the trunk and underarm swelling like you do!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2011

Hello ladies. One drain left and I am off the pain meds. The flexirell is my friend though. I am not having any breast pain. I am afraid the sneeze for fear that my belly will bust open. I am trying to walk and stand more as this really helps. Can someone please detail stage 2? I am hoping to complete everything during this stage?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Stage 2 is the nipples, revisions to the DIEP incision, adjustments/revisions that need done to shaping the breasts, lipo to give back the shape lost from stage 1. I don't know that there is an exact list of things that get done. I did all of that except the nipples at stage 2, and he fixed my belly button because it was off center from stage 1.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2011

Rogam, I have my stage 2 a week from today and promise to share all of the details (although mine will be a little different because I had hip flaps and am getting a mini-tummy tuck this time.  I kept my nipples so they won't be making new ones. I'm excited to see what Dr S suggests doing :)

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2011

Amy I'm laughing, that was exactly how I was last night!!  Started on my side, added more pillows(one between mattress and boob,one I held against my chest, so my other boob would stay in place etc) wasn't very natural lol...so finally rolled on my back.  I haven't been taking any pain meds since I think memorial day wknd.  My breast are still very heavy feeling, not so much pain but uncomfortable.  They are def overstuffed, as we weren't sure if radiation would be needed and Dr D wanted to put in as much as he could, so that if damaged he could take some out.  I hope in stage 2 he will make them smaller!!  They are not round on the bottom, kind of like a flat shelf (if that makes any sense) and my bc is still very swollen and tender.  Wish it would go away!!!! 

Have any of you had an ecko cardiogram after your diep?  my onc ordered one b4 i start a/c and I was just thinking about some tech rolling the sonogram paddle around my chest!!! no way

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2011

Thanks for the under armor shirt tip.  I have underarm swelling and I think my breast was stuffed extra good on the side.  So I can't tell if my swelling is still from surgery, on purpose or SE.  My LE therapist is keeping watch.  I bought my sleeve and guantlet today, just to have on hand.

I still have breast pain.  Now I had my mastectomy too, so I don't know if that makes a big difference.  I feel so heavy (dude--I'm still F cup!) and it does feel like pillows sewn on.  It's mostly a dull tingly achy pain all over.  I take tylenol or ibuprofen probably 2x per day.  I feel the worst when I get up in the morning.  I can't sleep on my side, but I situate myself on my side for a while to feel comfortable.  I unconciously move back to my back pretty quick.  I have pain on my cancer side arm, with limited range of motion and I think some cording has started.  PT starts Tues.  I still have a lot of tingling discomfort and numbness under/around my arm where TWENTY ONE NODES WERE REMOVED (yes, I still hate that).   The pain doesn't keep me down too bad, though. I was walking 3 miles per day.  I'm starting to feel some fatigue from chemo already, though.  And now I get to add Chemo Brain to my Cancer Card!

I'd been doing very well standing up straight from the get go.  I think it's only been the past week I've found myself slouching on occasion, as the pain from my right side (cancer side) under arm area has radiated to my back/shoulder.  So I'm starting the PT at the right time, before it gets bad.  I'm hoping I can get some treatment on my abdominal scar to loosen/break things up.  It feels so lumpy underneath/around. 

Kathryn, how wonderful your friend is coming!  

Jerusha, good for you getting out and doing the humanoid thing.  :)  It feels good to do what you want to do yourself.   

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

KathrynLA - I'm not sure about the drinks for me (will I still be on pain meds day 6 after Stage 1?). But I definitely want to meet up with you guys. I'll play it by ear and call you guys.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2011

Paula, I had 21 nodes removed (1 + 4mm met)and 6 1/2 years out have had only a few incidents that had me concerned re: lymphadema... I do not baby myself anymore and I have felt better year after year in terms of numbness and tingling.

Marcia

• lesliet
    edited June 2011

Is everyone staying at the same hotel except me?

Katie called today and moved my appt. up with Dr. S so I get off  the plane and go straigt over to see Dr. S on Monday and have all my marks done then. I still can't belive this is going to happen after a year and a half.

• lesliet
    edited June 2011

Cider8- Get a yoga ball sit on it let it roll or walk out on it till it is in the small of your back and streach your chest out and the achey pain won't be as bad, and it will be the life saver for your cording. I had a wonderful therapist- still can't do the weights and raise my arms on the ball. She also had me get the larger ball because it help you be more stable on it when you walk it out.

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

omg Dawn!  I had an echo cardiogram just 4 days after my DIEP!!!!  I was terrified they would ruin something!  I had been transferred to East Jefferson for some issues that they were concerned about (which turned out to not be issues but they were being very cautious) and when I was in EJ, they did a bunch of stuff including an ECG.  Just tell them what you have had done, and you will be fine.  They do not have to push really hard in order to get what they need.  I also had to have a chest x-ray. Yeah, that was great, raising my arms above my head.  aaargh  . . .  I am hoping that that is not why my breasts still really hurt, that maybe I did something deep inside. I am not that big.  Maybe a C cup at most, I would say, so i can't say they feel heavy, just sore deep inside. It is worse in the left breast. But again, I was just 4 days out, Dawn. Really, you will be fine . . .

Ro - I am doing the flexaril thing, too it really helps, and I find I sleep better with it as well.  And some Alleve during the day. Trying hard to walk straight up!  Sounds like we are all really doing well, considering what we had done!!  That's what I keep telling myself.  Also, I am no spring chicken!