Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited June 2011

Well, here's my understanding of the bra situation. At my post op Dr S said surgical bra 24/7 for 2 weeks, then any soft, non-compressive bra 24/7 for another 3 weeks...then WHATEVER you want, including underwire. I had my husband taking notes, and his notes say the same thing as what I recollect. So, unless we both got it wrong....

This may very well be one of those areas where the 2 docs differ, however. And maybe the nurses as well. I was double-checking on the phone and asking about bra suggestions and the nurse said 6 weeks in the surgical bra.

Last year I'd read a suggestion on the implant threads ( they actually have a whole thread -- a very active one -- called Bras101- with tons of info about wired and unwired bras ) about wearing the Walmart bra that Kaitsmom mentioned postoperatively. I had purchased some then, which did not fit. I rode around for the whole YEAR with them in my car to return, but never got around to it. After my 2 weeks of surgical bra it occurred to me that the Walmart bra might work this time around. I returned the old ones (after a year!!!) to size up. They still had them and now have several styles. They are by Fruit of the Loom. They have one that is almost identical to the surgical bra but soft cotton and cut ever so slightly lower on top. The one I like the best also has the hooks in front like our surgical bra, but a racerback and is cut slightly longer, so won't ride up into your IMF. There is also a pullover cropped tank style and a pullover style with gathers in front instead of the hooks. They are very stretchy so pulling over your head does not require contortions. I am thinking that this is the kind of bra they are talking about....unconstructed like a sports bra, but not compressive like a "real" sports bra. These all come in 3-packs for about $9, so at three dollars a bra, ladies, they're probably the cheapest bras you'll ever own!

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

BTW, the band size of the Fruit of the Loom is exactly like the surgical bra. I usu wear a 36 or sometimes 38 in a real bra, but wore a 42 in the surgical. I got the same, which seemed a bit alarming, but was just right.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011

From what I've gathered, the appendix can act up due to a high fat diet (chips and cookies---anyone else's son like to stash these and eat them non-stop???) and stress.   David is still in a lot of pain, but did manage to get out a bit this weekend.  Dana, I'm so glad his didn't rupture.  My dad's did and he had a rough time. 

I have to laugh about you ladies talking about looking forward to your surgeries---I totally relate to that.  The only vacations I've had over the past four years have been trips to NOLA for all of my revisions (I had 7 surgeries there, plus two trips for tattoos, one consult and about three business trips for Breastoration or bridal shows).  I did look forward to each trip, mainly because I came home much improved each time and had so much fun while I was there.  As a friend told me when I went the first time that there really is no other place like NOLA, anywhere.  I don't think I ever would have gone there but for my need for help after what happened with my stage I done here at home.

Speaking of Breastoration, our first big fundraiser is Sept. 10th in NOLA.  We are having "House of Pink" at the House of Blues.  The invitations are just about ready, and we were given the go-ahead to announce it publicly.   Tickets are $75 or $125 if you want to attend the patron/VIP party too.  It would be great if some of you ladies could be there!!!!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011

I have a question for all of you. I have underlying medical problems which put me at risk for late bleeding/clotting so I will be staying in NOLA a little longer then most. My caretaker/company will be transitioning post op day 6.  I'm trying to book flights now and there is a gap between the time my husband leaves and my brother can arrive. Does anyone see a problem with me being alone for about 1/2 day that far out?

Sandy-I hope that your son becomes pain free soon! I don't think that you can blame the appendicitis on junk food hording but maybe?

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Too much, I assume you mean you will be in a hotel at that point. (Certainly at SCSH it would be no problem at all). I know some ladies are out sightseeing by then, but on p.o.d.6 I was still mainly taking meds q4h and dozing in my nest of pillows in between. I did walk a few blocks to go out for a nice dinner for the first time that evening, but one outing was about all I could do. I really relied on my husband to bring us in food during the day and could never have gone out for a walk alone -- way too wobbly and vulnerable feeling. I didn't need help in the shower, but, again, I wanted him close by. If your husband sets you up with plenty of provisions before he leaves, I would think you'd be ok. I'd worry about plane delays etc., though. I didn't actually need my husband during the night but I would not have wanted to be alone. Bottom line,tho...if you needed anything, SCSH would arrange to get it to you by car service, I would think, and if things became really problematic, would probably readmit you. Hope this, along with others' experience, helps you decide.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2011

Toomuch. A visiting Nurse might be able to be arranged by the Center ( insurance "should" pay for this),

Marcia

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2011

amy, I told bev I would be in raleigh june 19th and that whole week!    Hope we can get together!  PM you my phone number.  Best, heather

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2011

Big week coming up in NOLA!

JustLaura, LeslieT and KathrynLA - best of luck with your surgeries!  Please check in with us when you are feeling up to it...we'll all be thinking about you...

Surfagirl - best of luck with your consult!  Let us know how it goes...

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Go girls! We've got your backs!!

• lesliet
    lesliet Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2011

Thank you ladies, I hope Laura can post everything I wont have my laptop its dead. Maybe I can get on my stepmoms. Off to the airport in a 1/2 hour, Denouement I use to live in Marin county  Corta Madera back in 1990. My middle daughter still lives there.Miss Napa though and the rolling hills!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2011

Hello Ladies, 

I have been away for too long, so much to catch up on(after 3 surgeries in 6 months, I am still just trying to catch up on life-son graduating high school this month-time is flying).

I hope you are all feeling well!

I am considering revisions to the nipple that was part of the nipple/skin sparing procedure-sort of flat. Anyone out there who had this? Also think I could use a bit more volume in breast now that tings are settling 6 months later. What are your thoughts on this? Is this considered a 2b?

Please advise me before I put a call into center. The good Drs. have done such amazing work but I want to make sure I complete the job. I still look down and think hmmmmmmm, maybe we should fix that. I remember them saying they want us to look in the mirror naked and be completely satisfied with what we see. I just worry about insurance aggravation all over again.

Any insight, suggestions will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! You are all such amazing women!

Thanks! Hugs!  :) 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2011

Best wishes to all the ladies this week.  You are all going to do great, and you will be so amazed at what these guys can do!!!  Hope you get to enjoy a bit of the Big Easy as well!!  Looking forward to reading your updates.  

Prayers and (gentle) hugs,

Amy 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011

Jerusha & Soccermom4force-Thanks for responding to my question. I got the flights down to a 3 hour time period without coverage so I think that I'm in good shape. I'll call the center the day before if I foresee it being a problem. I've felt really calm since I made my decision to go to NOLA but since I bought the tickets I'm beginning to feel a little anxious.

So, more questions. Did any of you have your family in NOLA when you had surgery? Did your significant other/caretaker stay at the hospital during the entire surgery? My husband thinks he should stay the whole time but I know how exhausting waiting for news from the OR is. It would be great if you could let me know how it is for the people in the waiting room.

As always, many thanks.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited June 2011

I had my Mom at stage 1 and my Grandma at stage 2, they both waited at the center during surgery. They also are welcome to stay there while you are there, they get meals just as you will and there is a  great murphy bed in the room. He can wait in your room while you're in surgery, so he'd have internet access, tv and snacks etc..The nurses will also call him during surgery to give updates as how it's going and how much longer etc...

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2011

toomuch...my husband did stay at the SCSH all day. They actually give you your room number in the morning b4 surgery and you can bring your bags upstairs  And after they take you to surgery, your husband can go back to the room to wait.  They have wifi ,also nice flat screen tv with dvd player (they had a very limited amount of dvds - so maybe bring your own to kill some time) and the nurses will go to the room to let him know how you are doing.  Also they will make him lunch and they have snacks and drinks in the hallway ,that are for your husband & yourself..It is a wonderful place, not like a regular hospital.  It is very private (so no visitors going up and down the hall, no beeping machines) it's so quite and peaceful...I felt like a movie star with the service you receive...my husband did go outside and walked around a little too.. I think the day b4 when you go for your appts, they will show you a room, so you can see for yourself

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2011

Just a note..I was in surgery for 7 hours and post op for 2..everyone is different ,but he could also nap  haha

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Yeah it is a long day for stage 1, but like dawn said they can leave and wander around if he feels up to it. It's right on the street car line as you know.

• denouement
    edited June 2011

I had both of my parents with me for stage 1 and my surgery was about 5.5 hours.  They hung out in my room pretty much the whole time--my dad took a nap on the murphy bed and my mom used the bathroom/shower to wash and dry her hair (since we were up so early that day she didn't have time to shower at the hotel)--they said they were planning on going for a walk and then my surgery was over so they stuck around.  They said the food and snacks were great--they brought laptops and DVD's with them to entertain themselves...I will also say that SCSH has a SUPER FAST net connection so were watching on demand netflix movies, etc, with no issue. 

I did not have anyone stay in the hospital with me at night though--I could have but I opted not to.  The first night especially they are in your room every hour checking your vitals and your flaps and I thought my parents deserved a good nights sleep...plus I felt more than well enough to be on my own and in the car of the excellent SCSH nurses--hope this helps!

• denouement
    edited June 2011

lesliet - cool that you liked so close by to where I am!  We just moved to Santa Rosa from NY 7 months ago so we are still pretty new to the area.  Napa is gorgeous right about now--we spent the weekend there!  5.5 weeks out from stage 1 and I was out and about all weekend drinking wine with the best of them!   Hope you had a safe flight--we'll be thinking about you this week...

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

toomuch - If your husband/caretaker wants to leave the hospital and walk around the neighborhood, they will just call his cell with updates or if there are any concerns.  They are really considerate of those we have waiting for us.  My own husband stayed in the room and actually got a lot of work done as his job is done all by phone and internet.  He had a great lunch, snacks, slushies, and I am sure he napped (though he hasn't admitted that!).  My husband did stay in the room with me the whole time as it was quite comfortable and spacious.  There is also a family lounge where the slushy machine is located, but the noise of the machine drove him crazy.  Seriously, wait til you see - it has the feeling of being a nice hotel - you husband won't want to go anywhere!  But do suggest he take a ride on the street car if the two of you haven't already.  We rode it both directions.  It's a nice ride and the best deal in town!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2011

LeslieT - sorry about your laptop.  I feel like mine is one of my vital organs and would have a hard time functioning without it!  I have your cell phone so I hope we're still on for drinks (hard or soft!) at the Hotel Monteleone tomorrow night! 7PM?

Toomuch, my husband gave him his cell phone number so he could go out for  walk or whatever and they could still reach him. I was in the OR for 7 1/2 hours and he said he got a call about once an hour to update him where they were at -- finishing the mastectomy, removing the flaps and rolling me over, etc.  He stayed in the room with me the 3 days I was there and said the murphy bed was very comfortable.  My last night there I had a panic attack in the middle of the night (never had one in my life) where I couldn't breathe so I was glad he was there to buzz the nurse for me.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I am so excited to go and nervous too - toomuch you're not alone! Stage 2 is interesting since you feel like you know a little bit about what to expect from Stage 1, but you don't know what to expect since everything is up in the air until your consult.  I still don't know if my tummy tuck will be plicated or not (and that will effect the recovery) plus  I keep looking at myself in the mirror and reminding my husband of more things I want to make sure Dr S addresses. My plan is to keep my mouth shut (hard for me!) and let him tell me what he wants to do...and then, if he misses something I'll chime in. We'll see how that goes! Is it okay to mention that my knees look a little fat to me?

Also, went to a FORCE meeting yesterday.  Most of the women have had implants but there was a woman there I met last week who had a reaction to her expanders and is now going to NOLA in August - I think it was better that she was the proponent and not just me saying how happy I am and how everyone should look into flaps!  Then after we both shared (and I did a show and tell) two women who had told me they had thought about NOLA and decided not to go had changed their minds and were setting up consults. Go NOLA!

• Jerusha
    edited June 2011

Don't fret about your knees. Dr. S himself mentioned mine!! HaHa...Yer kidding? My KNEES have fat you wanna use? (stage 2). Honestly, I never got down that far in making my list of things that need fixing!!!

Good luck. I will be thinking about you. Sorry we didn't get to meet...Be sure to tell us every little thing :)

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

We arrived in NOLA yesterday and spent the day in the French Quarter. We ate muffalettas. Poboys, beignets, we caught in a rain storm like nothing we have ever seen, we saw crazy things on Bourbon St, and we tried a hurricane, a cyclone, and a grenade , AND had a great dinner at Arnaud's! No sleeping aide needed for me - I was wiped out.

Today is all about surgery. We are doing my pre-op appts and WOW this place is great! We are at lunch right now before my last appt discussing it and both my husband and i just feel awesome! We definitely made the right decision coming here. I have heard of 'Minnesota nice' this is definitely 'New Orleans even nicer'. Everyone from the drivers to the nurses to the office administrators are so sweet. One nurse gave me a hug this morning. I love that! And Dr D? Loved him! He is great. His demeanor and his passion are impressive. I feel so good about tomorrow now - makes all my worrying seem silly.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

These entries are now from my phone so I hope they ate legible.

• denouement
    edited June 2011

JustLaura - sounds like you are having a great time!  Glad to hear you are feeling good about the surgery...the NOLA docs seem to have a way of making this whole thing so much easier and I truly appreciate that from them...good luck with everything tomorrow and check in with us when you can...no rush, but we'll be thinking about you and hoping everything is going smoothly...see you on the "other side"!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

Laura, Good luck tomorrow! Please check in when you can as we will all be wondering about you!

Bras bras bras. I used to always wear underwires prior to all this boob-work, but after, I moved to soft stretchies for some time.

Now I am wearing bras that look like they might have underwire but don't. I don't NEED underwire, my boobs are so perky! I had "underboob pain" for some time, and the thought of underwire, well, I coudn't imagine it. I started out wearing NO bra for weeks and weeks, so it was a journey to get into bras at all. I have some old underwire bras, I think I could wear them but haven't seen the need.

Well, I take that back! ... once when wearing a fancy dress/gown, I did put on an old underwire. I remember really wanting to take it off at the end of the evening!  

Jershua, Dr. D also did my knees, I did sourt of point down there though. :) 

Betsy, I WAS in NJ last week, and it WAS hotter than anything! It hotter where I was (around Princeton area) than it was down here in Raleigh!!! It did look like it was cooling off. I was accused of bringing the hot weather up with me... :) 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new boobs from Dr S... However I was a C before, and now I fit a D or DD. No complaints other than trying to find a "sexy" bra hasn't been successful yet.

I would love lipo all over, mainly my thighs and belly but not sure what he can hook me up with when I'm there. You can bet I'll ask though :)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2011

Spring... Thats where I live... just outside of Princeton... but I work in Princeton... It has been much cooler the last couple of days... high of 63 yesterday...

Next week, I will be in Charleston, SC.. so I expect it will be quite warm.... might have to ditch the wig.

• kaitsmom
    edited June 2011

Dragonfly, we look forward to a full list of what you have done!!  So glad that this all worked out for you!

Laura, we will be thinking of you all day and can't wait to hear how it goes!  I am glad you got to enjoy the city for a bit. Sounds like you hit the eating and drinking highlights! Isn't Dr. D the best?! ;) 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2011

Laura, I am so excited for you...and loved hearing all of your enthusiasm. I am so revved to leave tomorrow AM! Yay. How was Arnaud's?  Going to Irene's Cuisine on Wed night. Where are you off to tonight? Had a hurricane-  don't know what a grenade or a cyclone is but now I'm anxious to find out.

Laura - have your husband put your screen name on your door so people can find you. I'll stop by on Wednesday - if you're up to it.  Good luck tomorrow - I'm sure it will go great. You're in amazing hands!

Can't wait to get some good eating and drinking and getting my knees and tummy sucked out afterwards.  I'll share all of the details!