Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2011

Good luck Dana and lovely, to meet you too!! altho got caught up and did not see you again..yes, am staying till next Monday, few reasons behind that...all the best for tomorrow!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2011

Good luck to Denoument tomorrow and Jeskachi the day after!!!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2011

Oh, and thanks for the GREAT recap, Denoument!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2011

Denouement thanks for the update..I am ready for stage 2..can't wait!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2011

Good luck Dana... sounds like it will go well.

And Theresa... thanks.. I am better.Did ou see that we will be stage II buddies??

I apparently had a bacterial infection from my port, but that is on the mend and the blood clot is hopefully not as bad as first thought and my doctor is hoping to have me off blood thinners in a couple of weeks... thats a lot better than 3-6 months. AND I was able to pack my open wound myself ... I sure hope it heals fast now with all the drying agents they have me using... Laura assures me it will heal and that the skin doesn't pull together, but forms new skin... she says its not a problem and Dr D will be taking it off at stage II... right now my breasts which WERE symmetrical are quite not anymore... My right breast looks like a squashed pumpkin and my left breast is round and quite full... There may be a stage IIb in my future, but hope not.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited August 2011

Hey Toomuch, I cannot remember when your surgery was, or if you are still in NO....if you are, the center will transport you back and forth for outpatient appointments with the LE therapist (Jen?). If you are long gone, I wonder if you could have a phone consultation with her. Do you think you could cut a hole in your compression cami and flop your breast out? You'd still have the compression of your trunk and area around your breast without squishing your breast. BTW, I'm curious about how hip flaps interfere with normal lymphatic drainage. I would think that a DIEP would be more likely to interfere -- one of the big pathways is right above the bb and it's also much closer to the inguinal nodes. ( I have mild , quirky thumb LE, and I was very worriedabout my DIEP. Removing the capsule and scar tissue around my implant, which was taken out, seems to have helped quite a bit, though.)

Have been out of the country and not keeping up, but now trying to get through all the missed posts. Betsy, I'm so sorry for all this terrible stuff that keeps happening. My thoughts are with you. It's hard enough when everything goes just right...

Welcome newcomers...You've made a GREAT choice!!!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2011

Betsy, sounds like good news to me.

Dana, thanks for the detailed update!  I do love the preop and postop reports.  Amazing how packed the place was.   

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited August 2011

At the center now...waiting to be shown my room and to start all the pre-op fun and the IV...will check out Dr D's shoes again before they hook up the IV

• denouement
    edited August 2011

Sitting in the recovery room waiting for the docs...my room is #205 if anyone wants to stop by later

-dana

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2011

Well ladies, it's been 2 months since I had my stage 2b. I'm not sure if I should be super disappointed or what? The nipples are almost flat, hardly even worth it, it seems? I was so careful too. Still not wearing a bra, wore the covers for probably twice as long as I was supposed to. :( Now I'm stuck with the additional scar on my new boobs and a skin tag looking wannabe nipple?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2011

Deno - I had #205 once! good vibes to you!

Dragon, that sounds dissappointing! I had my nipple made out of areola skin and I do have a bump there. Maybe you need to send pics and ask about a 2B surgery? When are you doing tattoos? Tattoos really do help the oveall aesthetic.  

Glad you are feeling better, Betsy!  

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2011

Dragonfly... sometimes an almost flat nip recon works very well and looks great if the nips are tattooed correctly. With the right technique... shadows and highlights they can be made to look like they are more raised then  they really are without the "headlights" being on full time. Its a nice result when done well.... I have some examples of it on my site... this one is a really good one. Her right breast ( left viewing photo)  was almost completely flat her left had only a small protrusion but I was able to make them look like they were perky.... SO... its not all bad that they flattend some....  copy and paste this link to see the example...

http://vinniemyers.com/artwork/2063066_June_2011.html

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

I have to go to NOLA tomorrow... surgery Thursday. They think my wound is too big.... UGH.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2011

Oh, Betsy!  I'm sure that's the last thing you want to do!  My prayers are with you and you'll get through this hump OK in the end.  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2011

Betsy,

Many moons ago I had to return to NOLA for wound issues. Funny enough I was actually GLAD to be back in the Centers "womb" where I knew I would receive the appropriate care that was required to get the healing jump started. No biggie..really... Just try and relax and repeat after me..." I will awaken from Surgery feeling confident in my Surgeons work and ready to begin anew my healing PROCESS"

Hugs to you Betsy, all WILL be well!

Marcia

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited August 2011

Quick note as I am flying out to see my daughter, but especially wanted to wish Dana well, and Betsy, I am so sorry you have to go through all this, but I agree with Marcia - I think the best place in the entire world for you right now is in NOLA.  You will be well looked after.  I will be thinking of you.  Hi Ro!  Hi Teresa!  And all others!  Will check the boards when I have some down time at my daughters, but I hope to be kept busy so that I can keep my mind off my Sept 9 surgery .  I return from my daughter's late afternoon on the 30th and head out on Sept 4 for NOLA!!  Yikes!!!  Anyway, loving healing thoughts to all!  And lots of extra ones to Betsy! xo 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011

Betsy so sorry for the news, but best to get it fixed so you can heal. I'll be praying for you.

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2011

Sorry to hear that you have to travel, but it seems to be for the best...heal quick...rest well.

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

Marcia and crew... I do have a sense of peace that NOLA will care for my wound... I was a bit taken back when laura asked me to come down tomorrow... just like that... It is hard to drop everything and leave town, especially when you have kids, but I think I have it under control... My son has like 5 hockey obligations between now and then and my daughter is flying off to Portland Oregon on Thursday for a week... had to cancel doctor appts, cleaning lady, but all is good.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2011
    Marcia... Sealed   Love you!
  • Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2011

PS - Vinnie - I wish you had done my tattoos!!! If I am every in the Baltimore area again, I am going to come and see you.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2011

Hi ladies-

I just had my day of pre-op appts and endless form-filling-out (ugh).  All is good so far. We're staying down the street from the center so it should be a convenient walk for the bf while I'm in the hospital. My surgery is first thing tomorrow, we're getting picked up at 5:30. She's expecting an 8-hour surgery, so you won't hear anything until after that.  Who wants to be my point person for reporting back here?  My bf can email with an update.  

-Brenda

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2011

Betsy, I agree with Marcia that there is no place better for you right now than NOLA. Feel better soon. Sending healing thoughts your way!

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

So who is in NOLA right now.. Dana and Jeskachi... anyone else? When I land, they are taking me straight to the center... and I think I will be at the hospital for the whole time, or they will work something out at a hotel... I don't know which. I am fine with being at the hospital.

• denouement
    edited August 2011

DONE!  Tired and having trouble typing of my phone so more later...

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

DANA... I will see you tomorrow.

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2011

Nordy.... I don't know where you live but there is a good chance I will be there tattooing in the future... I am going to start doing "road trips tattin nips"!  Let me know where you are and I can put your town on the list.... NOLA next week... Philly coming very soon.....  If anyone is in... let me know where you are..... Email... vm@vinniemyers.com

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

That's awesome... I plan on coming to you (I am in NJ), but if you will be traveling, even better... I won't be ready to see you until 2012, but I like to plan ahead.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2011

Dana, so fun to hear the blow by blow (loved the shoe report) and glad you are DONE

Betsy, so sorry all this has happened, but I join everyone else in feeling like you will be exactly where you need to be and sending healing thoughts.

Jeskachi, good luck tomorrow!

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2011

Thanks SandyinParadise!  I feel very blessed to be able to go to NOLA.  I saw the beautifulness of their talents at the F.O.R.C.E. conference in Orlando this year.  I grieved the loss of my breast and the initial work done on me when I saw the difference between what was done to me and what the NOLA doctors are doing to make women feel whole again!  So looking forward to being normal again.