Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2011

ok.. made an appt with internist... spoke with Dr Trahan... and I will have blood work and a chest x ray today... Dr Trahan did reassure that it will pass, and believes that my temp is indeed lung related.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2011

This to shall pass B!  Healing vibes to you and to all who are recovering.

Does anyone have any recommendations about preparing for surgery?  I have a long time to do so because I have a trip in November that I didn't want to muck up and I am having delayed reconstruction.  TEs in now.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks!

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2011

Denouement when you arriving? And Amy it was great to meet you, thank you for stopping by and giving me such a positive glimpse into the future.. I just did first

lap today, so am not doing anything special here guys, since got out of su4geryat 5 pm on Tuesday just shuffling around a bit first day. Day2 feels much better than day 1 . Nola surely is as awesome as you all say and now I have beautiful breasts to prove it tool

• louis13
    edited August 2011

Denouement when you arriving? And Amy it was great to meet you, thank you for stopping by and giving me such a positive glimpse into the future.. I just did first

lap today, so am not doing anything special here guys, since got out of su4geryat 5 pm on Tuesday just shuffling around a bit first day. Day2 feels much better than day 1 . Nola surely is as awesome as you all say and now I have beautiful breasts to prove it tool

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited August 2011

@bdavis -- Your peace of mind is worth the trip. I know that the last thing that any of us want is another test, another doctor's visit, another poke. It will all work out for the best and you'll be soon posting 98.6 to us all!!

@louis13 -- Way to go!! I am having much less surgery, but it is awesome to hear how well you are doing and how great your care is. VERY reassuring.

Everyone, it turns out that though I will spend most of my recuperation time at my cousin's in Thibodaux outside of NOLA, from release to post-op, my husband is flying in (no one else could) and we will stay in a hotel. Recommendations? Need to be near enough to restaurants for take out or grocery stores if we have a kitchenette and convenient to the Center. And in a safe area of town for walking ... Thx!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited August 2011

Celtic_Antique - I stayed at the Homewood Suites for the time between release and post-op. It worked out well. It is close to a lot of restuarants and they provide a nice breakfast in the lobby each day (complimentary). (I think they also have dinner one night a week too but I can't remember which night.) Big bathrooms - which are very nice with drains. Two rooms if you want to sleep and your husband wants to work or watch TV. It is not convenient to the Center but then the Center will provide transportation for you when you have an appt.  

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2011

I'm staying at a vacation rental that's 1/2 mile from the center, at Carondelet and 3rd. 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, A/C, satellite TV. I think it's close to a lot of restaurants and groceries, and 1/2 block west of the streetcar on St. Charles.  I'll report back on how it is.

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

So.. had a dismal morning.. felt lousy, but went to internist and he said my port that Dr D had trouble removing was looking infected and with phone calls to Dr D and my MO, it was agreed that my port needed coming out today... and so I spent the afternoon at the hospital... Also had blood work... all good and tomorow will get chest x ray and ct scan of upper right chest... I think I have been fever free all day... yay. AND the surgeon removing my port said he has never had so much trouble removing a port.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2011

Betsy, is the friggin (excuse my french!!) port out now?? as in -- it's a goner? if so , HORAY!!!!!!! Now you will get better. Hopefully you will be comfortable and able to rest.... Sounds like your body was trying to tell everybody something through the fever, as in... get this thing out of me now!! 

Josta 7 - Welcome to our thread! Give some other details if you know, okay if you don't or don't want to. Your doc? do you know if they're doing DIEP or GAP or stacked? You will be there right around Celtic!! That will be nice for you both.

Djfrro - I added your stage 2 to the list. Same day as Betsy!!  Another good thing.

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

yes, beverly, the port s OUT! and I have been fever free today.

• celtic_antique
    edited August 2011

@bdavis -- Isn't it AMAZING how our body sends clues! This is great news!!!! YES!!!

@jocasta7 -- hoping we will connect in NOLA!

@JustLaura -- we will look at Homewood Suites. Seems like many stay there. And Katie has yet to respond. I think it will work out well, especially with Center pickup!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2011

Wow Betsy!  It was the port all along!!!  I'm so glad it's out.  I suspect you'll be feeling better about your recovery now.

I'm starting to think I may delay my stage 2 until early next year instead of squeezing it in Dec. I just want enough time to recover from chemo so I can feel good instead of OK enough. Welcome to those new to posting on this thread!   

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2011

Woooohooooo Betsy!!! You're free at last!!!!! Bye bye port!!!!!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2011

Betsy - So sorry that your day was awful but hoping that the port removal does the trick and that you move on to easy healing. Great news about no fever!

Rosemary - No one said you needed to be exceptional. Slow and steady improvement in great too. Glad that you completed a lap today. I hope that your daughter arrives safely tomorrow! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited August 2011

I know I have been totally remiss and out of touch - too much traveling and work for the last month -but for anyone interested, I am supposedly going to be on the Today show tomorrow AM (between 7:30 - 8AM) as an expert in regards to the recent surrogacy scandal. I own and run a surrogacy agency and have worked with the lawyer that is being charged with baby trafficking and have been shocked and saddened by this scandal. The Today Show called me for a statement and I went over to NBC studios today and taped a very short interview this afternoon. I could be cut out -- or not. But besides watching the piece you can maybe get a look at my NOLA creations (although I am wearing a shirt and jacket!) Then I'm off to Napa in the AM for the weekend and back Sunday. Monday is my birthday. Planning on catching up on all of the posts next week. Hope everyone is well and welcome to all of the newbies!

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

Boy Kathryn... busy busy busy... I will try to catch the show...

And yes, I think I am very happy... don't want to be too happy yet... I want to wake up, feel good and then I will be happy, but it looking promising.

So for stage II it looks like Debbie, Theresa and I will al be there the same week... Yay! I think my mom is coming with me, she'll be 80... so should we be staying at HS or Monteleone? I think both have pros and cons... I am leaning toward HS and just cabbing it everywhere... She really can't walk to the Quarter and then walk around (Monteleone would be better for that) but HS is better in all other respects... So thoughts?? I will have hip drains so having a little room like HS might be best.

• louis13
    edited August 2011

No, no., no nothing exceptional here . In fact nurse telling me I need to move more and I taking slow, maybe not reading me right. Today should be my last day but think am staying on for another day or so, I just don't feel confident about any of it yet. My biggest achievement us having first bowel movement this morning!!! Ahh, the simple things in life

• louis13
    edited August 2011

Betsy thank goodness you worked that out AND got it out.... Thinking about it it is logical, they messed with it during surgery, and then an infection set in?

• louis13
    edited August 2011

For those who had nipple sparing...how much did your nipple change color?

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

mine still does not look normal, 3 weeks out.. but getting there.

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2011

I hope it all starts getting better for you now Betsy.  We are staying HS, I would stay at Monteleone but it was pretty pricey and Beinville was all booked up.  My daughter and granddaughter are coming with me this time and I am more comfortable with them at HS for the night I am in the hospital, we can walk down to the quarter for her to see.  we are flying in on wed, surgery on thurs, leaving Sun, so it is going to be a quick trip!

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

we will fly in Tues and out Monday

• celtic_antique
    edited August 2011

Thanks to all for the advice. Made reservations at the HS for 26 (hospital release) thru 29 (post-op appointment). Hadn't realized that the Center would send a car. That is great news. I fly out Sunday night, appointments Monday for pre-op markings and Tuesday AM it is cut and paste time! Seems like it was a long time getting here and now the time is roaring past!

• JustLaura
    edited August 2011

Rosemary - I had nipple sparing on both sides and my nipples looked fine from the start - however none of my tumors were near the nipple at all. So I'm sure that makes a difference.

• JustLaura
    edited August 2011

Kathryn!!! I just saw you on the Today show! You looked FABULOUS! 

• bdavis
    edited August 2011

Rosemary, I should add that I had skin issues on the NS side, so I may not be the best barometer.

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2011

My nipple sparing side looks exactly the same as it did pre-surgery. So much the same that I asked Dr. Trahan if he was sure that they remembered to do the mastectomy lol! My delayed reconstruction side is definitely a work in progress... At least I don't have that rock hard tissue expander anymore and I'm sure things will look great after stage II

It may be tmi, but I actually still have a small amount of sensation in my nipple and it still responds to touch. I'm really amazed actually. Not sure if it makes a difference, but that was my non-cancer side.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2011

Josta 7. , so glad you found this thread! These ladies are a welcoming bunch arent they!?

Told you Celtic would reach out to you :))

Ladies thanks for welcoming JOsta into the "Sisterhood"!

Marcia

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2011

I haven't posted much lately, but read everyday and BETSY! I have been worried about you. I'm very glad to hear that the source of the problem was figured out and you are fever free today. Hi to everyone else too:) I'm approached my one year DIEP anniversary and am so grateful to the women on this thread whose sharing gave me the courage to do it!

Hope everyone else is healing well.

Amy

• louis13
    edited August 2011

Thank you for those responses- mine is looking a little purple but they think will be ok, fingers crossed.