Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2012
    LE? AND? I'm looking at alphabet soup!

Nordy your story about your dream of your boobs falling off made me laugh. I had the same feeling about my vagina after my hysterectomy. I even wrote a limerick about it.

There's no action at the back door
    and my poor guts are feeling so sore
    filled with unease
    I'm afraid if I squeeze
    My vagina will land on the floor

Here's one about my breasts:

I'm dreading the loss of my nips
    How they feel 'neath my man's fingertips
    Why can't technology
    Replace biology
    And reboot feeling with microchips?

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2012

EvaM - you have made my day! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2012

Good ones, Eva!! Keep 'em coming!

• EvaM
    edited January 2012
    They say NOLA is the holy grail
    True artists with every detail
    But I have to protest
    Flying hours for a breast
    Can't they do the whole thing by email?
  • CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2012

Betsy, Nordy and Michelle,

Thanks so much for all of your tips.  I have a running list of things to bring.  Good to know I will not need help when I get home other than with William (my 1 yr. old) and my MIL has offered to help me with him.  It will be very hard not to pick him up; I am sure my pain will be a reminder for awhile, but it's so automatic.  

Eva M, Your poems cracked me up!  :-)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

EVA... LE is Lymphedema and AND is Aux. Node Dissection.

And I liked having my pjs and lightweight robe cause their robe is very heavy, and their hospital gown... well... I think that part is obvious... I was there a long time in August and the nurses did laundry for me... but I was literally in the hospital for 2 weeks... also the Homewood Suites has laundry. I brought 2 nighties so I always had one. And I LOVED having my slippers... I don't really care for the slipper socks they give you. I like climbing in bed barefoot but having something easy for the laps around the hospital.... In 2011 I spent 21 nights in SCSH... hard to believe... and 40 days in NOLA altogether.

So... Dr D saw my pictures yesterday and says he thinks I still have a fair amount of swelling and wouldn't want to do anything until at least summer for ALL swelling to dissipate...So in that case, I am inclined to wait for 2013 (new insurance year) in case there is a stage 2c... And perhaps I will go down in the Fall for a consult.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2012

Eva, those are wonderful!!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2012

Eva!  (c:

Another post op with Marga on Monday.  Fingers crossed for getting drains pulled.  What is the output supposed to be before removal?

Happy tattooing Sandy.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2012

Adey: I think under 30 for 3 days in a row...?  You'd think I'd know for sure since I just had stage 1 in August, AND it was my second one.  How quickly the mind forgets :)

• Adey
    edited January 2012

Crap!  It just started being less than 100.  I guess I'm juicy.  My boobs are so big it's a bit difficult to cut my toenails.  (c:  I find that hilarious.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2012

Eva - thank you for the smiles!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2012

Adey--there's also a time limit for how long you have them in, at Marga's discretion.  Having them in too long risks infection.  She'll probably make the call on Monday.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

Adey... Dr M is not my doctor, but Dr D wanted drains under 25 for 2 days in a row... and 8.5 weeks or so was his limit.

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2012

Nordy - sent you a PM - might be in SLC when you are!

• Adey
    edited January 2012

Thanks Betsy.  I'm 5 weeks out today.  Looks like I'll be hosed for awhile!  (c:

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2012

Eva- love your limerics!

Anniese- you KNOW I will want to meet up with you & your hubby if we are there at the same time!

Drains- i think every doctor has their own protocol & I also really think that it depends on the area being drained - hips tend to be a lot more juicy! Your doc and their nurses are the best ones for that info!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2012

Anniese and Nordy-----are you both coming to SLC for Dr. M's symposium on Feb 3rd?  This will be my 2nd time to one of these-they are great w/ so much info!  Katiejane

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2012

Hiya Eva! So glad you made your way here to the thread! I was thinking to introduce you to Nordy as she's on your neck of the woods, but I see youve already met :))

Hoping everyone is recovering swiftly from recent surgerys!

Marcia :)

• anniese
    edited January 2012

Katiejane - yes, trying to work it out to be in SLC for the Feb symposium (I think it's on the 4th not the 3rd?).  I went to the one in Denver, but my husband wasn't able to attend with me.  So, we are trying to get up to SLC for this one.  Maybe we'll get to meet.

Nordy - definitely have to meet up.  I'll touch base with you when the date gets closer.

• EvaM
    edited January 2012

Hey Soccermom, thanks. I've been lurking and reading here for a long time but finally worked up the nerve to join since my surgery is coming up (one month from today!) and I still have so many questions. 

At this point I'm torn between dread and impatience. How did you all survive the last month? Any particular warnings about being in NOLA during Mardi Gras month?

I shared this song over on the FORCE forum, but I'll share it here too, since I wrote it about my emotions about losing my breasts. http://evamoon.net/blog/2011/12/06/where-are-you-now-my-dancing-girl/

• Katiejane
    edited January 2012

Anniese,   Great! It was a fairly small group last time(Sept) so I'm sure we'll meet up.  You're right , it is on the 4th!  DUH!! I'm in the same situation as you-I went and the husband didn't so now he needs to get involved since I have pretty much decided to go ahead w/ surgery. Looking forward to this!

katiejane

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2012

Eva - loved your limericks! To address your question about the anesthesiologists, I found them to be quite understanding. I have had prior bad experiences with IV attempts in the hand. Dr. Triay suggested using the inside of my wrist and inject lidocaine just before the IV. We did that for each of my 3 surgeries and it was problem free. Just to show that they are willing to work with your issues to find as comfortable a solution as possible. Also never had a scratchy throat to follow surgery. A travel suggestion I would make is to call the airline and ask for bulkhead seats (the first row of coach). We explained the medical need and there was no charge. The additional space helps quite a lot post-surgery. Another part of my surgery prep deals with avoiding any potential constipation from pain meds. You will be given colace while in the hospital. I have found it quite effective to take Miralax for one week prior to surgery and then one week post surgery. Not a problem that you want to deal with. Betsy's packing list covers all the essentials!

• EvaM
    edited January 2012

Thank you, ref. Having had surgery 7 weeks ago, I'm very familiar with the constipation problems. It was bad for me and I finally snuck an exlax, which I know is considered too harsh. But it sure worked.

I was ready to throw in the towel
    My feelings were blocked up and foul
    But true peace of mind
    Is so simple to find:
    All you need a functional bowel 

I had a feeling the anesthesthiologists there would be as good as it sounds like everything else is. I will definitely talk to them about my concerns. I can probably skip writing on my forehead about it.

DId anyone else find their sinuses were painfully dry after surgery? I'm thinking of bringing my neti pot for that.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Eva 

• Katiejane
    edited January 2012

ref,  where do I find Betsy's packing list?  Starting to organize myself!  Thanks!  Katiejane

• EvaM
    edited January 2012

Katiejane, it's on page 495 of this thread - back one.

• ref
    edited January 2012

katiejane - Betsy's list is on 496

Eva - a limerick for constipation... love it! A neti pot for your sinuses couldn't hurt if you are prone to that problem. That was not an issue for me. But a chapstick, definitely!

• anniese
    edited January 2012

Katiejane - it's a tough decision to make, but once I did I knew I was on the right path.  It's hard for our caregivers to understand sometimes.  If my husband and I make it to SLC for the symposium and you guys are there, it might be good for your husband to talk with mine.

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2012

Hi All,

Back from NOLA. Dr D looked at the hard breast and said it "might" soften, but probably was a goner. Scheduled for DIEP now. So, ladies who have had GAP AND then DIEP, please tell me what to expect. I am totally bummed about this surgery. I just think me and my bod have had it. What to bring to hospital, what to wear, will my tummy hurt? Recovery time, etc. etc. Thank you! 

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2012

Also where to stay? Is there a hotel with rooms that have kitchenettes AND restaurant in the hotel?

• ref
    edited January 2012

Victoria - Sorry that you have to go through another stage 1. I had an abdominal flap to replace a failed hip flap. It's tough to start again but doable. Yes, my stomach felt very tight. Took a few days to stand up straight. Other than that, the healing is much like you experienced with the GAP flap. The popular place to stay with a kitchenette is the Homewood Suites.