Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2012

Bdavis - now I'm scared, VictoriaB is little, little butt lift. My butt is quite healthy so big butt lift for me - ouch! Love how Dr. D and the staff are so accessible. I just emailed my doctor at SLoan in NYC and he emailed me back too. Makes a difference in how we feel getting our questions answered.

One drain is getting that light red, yellow color and the other is still very dark.  

Nordy - have you had any luck with your insurance company? I think you and I are not to far apart as I am 5 1/2 hrs from SLC too. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

Karen.. I don't think it really matters how big the butt is to be honest.. I have a fair sized buttocks, even after the GAP flap, now that I have had the lift... before the lift, it was kind of flat.. Don't be scared... I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2012

Hey, baby, pain is pain! I'm thinkin bout that Eric Clapton song "Bell Bottom Blues." Well now it's "'Dell' Bottom Blues" until I get that lift! 

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

Like it!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Cherrie, would you like me to add your August surgery to the list above? Just give me whatever specs you want me to add, stage 1, doc, etc. You can see examples up there.

Nordy, you crack me up! Have fun skiing!  I find it hard sometimes to go over all that "old" stuff. Most of the time, I think we move forward and look forward. But occasionally, something happens that reminds us of what we've lost, or what we're still dealing with!!! 

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

I haven't been on this thread for quite awhile, but I have a question...

Has anyone developed symptoms of GERD after the DIEP surgery?  My upper, center abdomen is sometimes hard and distended and it burns.  The tightness has started to cause pain in my middle back.  I've recently been told that these symptoms are classic GERD symptoms. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same symptoms.  I'd like to relate it to the surgery because any cause that isn't cancer is better that cancer. 

Thanks,

Brandy

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

My center abdomen is hard (not rock hard) and distended but no burning.. and only pain is when I push it, like a deep bruise.. What is GERD?

• jstunme
    jstunme Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2012

GERD = Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease ..... = Reflux

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2012

Betsy, Would you mind adding me to the surgery list?  Feb. 28 - Jane 123 (Tamara) - Stage 1 Dr. Gray and Dr. Dellacroce, NOLA.   I could use all the prayers and good karma you girls could send my way!  Thank you!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2012

Hey Nordy! I had a dream last night that you and I were in New Orleans with our kids, who we kept losing and finding again (that part was awful!). We were riding the streetcar, looking for parades where we could catch beads! I've never had a dream with you in before, but all I could think was that I seconded what you said to Dana right before I went to bed last nite!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Nordy:have fun skiing! I wish I could ski but my knee is not stable because of ACL injury though I did i try It several times. It is fun!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2012

Who's Dr. Gray? That's a new NOLA name for me.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited February 2012

Question for compadres -- Wondered if anyone else has this annoying little thing. I had a reaction to the glue on the adhesive tape they put on the bandages for my Stage 2 hip wounds, and until I got all of the residue off, it itched like mad!! I am 5 weeks out, and on either side of my scars, it still itches like crazy at times. I was advised to use Cortizone cream with some lidocaine in it, and that helps, but it is nuts!! Any one else have this? I know the adhesive residue has to be gone. Taking daily showers, honest! LOL!

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

I had no idea that I was having GERD symptoms.  For me it wasn't obvious.  I went to my physical therapist about the back pain and she was looking for the cause when she discovered the tightness in my upper center abdomen.  After she massaged it, I recognized the sensation as being a tighness and sort of a stinging soreness in my upper stomach.  The tightness in my chest I had attributed to my anxiety and the stinging soreness I had attributed to the surgery.  I did not realize that they were connnected.  Now that I'm more aware, I have noticed a worsening of symptoms after I eat of have coffee or wine.

I guess that I may have had a much milder set of symtoms pre-surgery, but it's really become noticable since the surgery in July and the revision in November. 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

It's hard to believe that in exactly one week Caitlin and I will in NOLA having our surgery. I feel pretty much at peace with it and I'm trying to keep busy. One thing I did was have a professional "before" photo shoot on Monday. I'm so glad I did it. Here are a few of the pictures: http://evamoon.net/blog/2012/02/01/exuent/

I know I'll be glad to have them in the future. 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2012

Beautiful.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited February 2012

The pictures are stunning Eva!  And you never know - you may be tempted to take some after shots too. You may be totally surprised by how good your 'girls' look post-surgery!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I know that intellectually, but emotionally it's a little harder to believe. I guess I'll find out. After shots are not ruled out. Thank you!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited February 2012

Kudos for having the guts to do it. My husband wanted me to do that but I didn't have the guts.  Well done!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited February 2012
    EvaM, perhaps you should request access to TimTam's site. Lots of completed photos there! your "girls" are in good hands and will be beautiful in the post-recon shots!!Laughing
  • EvaM
    edited February 2012

What's the URL for TimTam's site? When I google it I just get cookies.

As for so-called "guts" I am not known for being shy. I've been a constant source of embarrassment to my poor children and husband. But fortunately, they love me anyway. 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2012

Wow Eva!! Those are beautiful!! I actually looked in the mirror this morning when I got out of the shower and thought about doing the same thing, but not professionally (I don't think). I have never posed before, but I think I may need this to help me down the road. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wish you all the best next week!!! Sending you big hugs from Atlanta!!

@ Caitlin, sending you positive thoughts and prayers  too!!

Are you surgeries both in the morning? I didn't realize you were both on the same day.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2012

Eva - Springtime explains how to access Tim Tam at the top of the page by all the surgery dates. And I agree with JustLaura. You may find you look better by this time next year, than you do now - and you look great now! Just sayin'. And I know of what I speak! BTW, my name is Eve and my birthday is your surgery day - just a funny coincidence. Good luck!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Yes, chelle, Both Caitlin and I are going in at 7 am on the same day! And I think you absolutely should get some pictures taken. You will be happy to have them later. Thanks for all the compliments. A lot of credit goes to the photographer who really got me to relax and not feel self-conscious - which I think shows in the pictures.

• Jane123
    edited February 2012

Anne - Dr. Cary Gray is a general surgeon who will do my mastectomy.  I had not noticed his name either on the boards so I asked Stacy (NOLA) yesterday when she called and she said he has worked with NOLA for years.  He is listed as a St. Charles staff physician.  

Celtic - I have a sensitivity to surgical tape as well.  It gave me major blisters after a C-section. I remember it just took time.  

Eva - You are beautiful!  And, you will remain so.  Can't diminish that kind of presence. I looked a while ago for TimTam, too, and could not find it, I will try the above suggestion.  Peace, Tamara

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I searched the member list for timtam and TimTam but got no results. 

• Jane123
    edited February 2012

NoWhereGirl worked.  I just sent her a message.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

For those who are allergic to tape but find you have a need for it, I use Hypafix. It's hypoallergenic and it breathes. It's not really tape, it's meant to cover the whole dressing. But you can cut it down and use it as tape if you want.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

Eva - well done, you look fabulous and will do so after. I am 13 days post-op and my girls look pretty darn good! I did a nipple and skin-sparing and honestly I am just bigger. It has been good for me to see my nipples. 

I did a body casting of my chest. Bought one of the kits that women use to cast their pregnant bellies and did my breasts. My husband and I had a blast doing it and it is a beautiful piece of art thta we will keep private to our bedroom.  

• bdavis
    edited February 2012

Tim Tam is now nowheregirl... Who knows why she changed it, but she did

Tamara... Springtime is in charge of the list up top... I am sure she will add your dates.

I don't think I m allegic to the glue, but I do have some dry areas around my incisions on my butt and right breast... go figure.

So I had my US this morning, that just confirms that I have a 4cm seroma... so I will need that aspirated and then compress for about a week... yay!