Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

All week I've been playing the "last time" game and it's driving me nuts. Last belly dance class, last band practice, last show, last time to wear this bra... In a few days it will be the last time for my husband and I to enjoy the girls. I know I'll do most of those things on the other side, but this feels like a HUGE dividing line and I'm starting to feel claustrophobic - like it's all closing in on me. I look at those pictures and think how innocent and unsuspecting my breasts look, not knowing what violence they're about to endure, poor things. I know I've made good decisions and prepared myself as well as I can, but s**t!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2012

Big hugs to Eva and Michelle.

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

Eva--I did that "game" too--more in my own mind than with my boyfriend.  I have to say though that I was really worried about the night pre-surgery...and that I would break-down about losing them.  Well, I didn't.  I guess since I already was lopsided (due to a lumpectomy 10 years ago), I was like..."oh well...you ladies aren't looking your best anyway, AND you had cancer in you to kill me...so, adios".  Now, even after Stage 1, I look better than I did before!  I was really concerned about losing feeling...I don't know about that yet as I'm still recovering so I'm not focused on that and I know sometimes you gain some back.  Hope that helps...I just think that "game" is really tough on anyone!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

Eva - I am 2 weeks post op and even with the bruising etc. I look good. Your losses are real, mourn them and remember you are taking control of this. You will find the rose on the other side whatever it may be. 

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2012

Hugs to Eva. These decisions are hard, and real, but you have chosen to do everything possible to prolong your life for a long time. 

Momma2 four: I feel your pain. I am fresh out of DIEP, with three rows of internal incisions, and I get the stomach bug. WTF?! I mean, really, haven't we been through enough already. Can't we just have fab bodies and good GI systems already? 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2012

Kudos to you for taking the photos....they are really beautiful.  Good luck with your surgery.....i'm just over a month behind you.  I kind of wish I had some pre op done but didn't.  Here's hoping we both look even better post surgery.

• Downey30
    edited February 2012
    Jeskachi,  thanks a million for the info about the tape.  I had a severe allergic reaction after m DMX.  I'm going to jot this down.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

I am sorry Eva, here I am whining about stupid things and you getting prepared for surgery. Hugs to you...btw I love your pictures. I wish I would have done that. My Local PS took photos before my mastectomy years ago. I wish I could get a copy or just look.

Anyway, hugs to you Eva

• Downey30
    edited February 2012

Momma2four,  Don't feel bad.  I think we are aloud to vent, whine, and get it off our chests any way we want.  I understand how you feel.  I've also gained some weight and this is new territory for me.  I used to watch a little and it would come off.  Don't know if it's the Tamoxifen,  all the surgeries, menopause or what.  It's crappy though.  Feel better.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited February 2012

Hugs to you Eva!! I will be thinking and praying for you!!

@ Michelle, I am trying so hard to loose some weight and get in shape before my surgery and I have been busting my a** and I don't look any different and the clothes that fit a few months ago are still tight :( I have been told that after you start working out hard and/or lifting weights that you body retains water (kinda like swelling when you get hurt), but it will all kick in after 6-8 weeks...really?? Anyway, I am going to keep it up & so should you!! You can do it!!

Hugs from Atlanta to Eva and Caitlin!!!

Chelle (Michelle)

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Michelle-  You can get copies from your PS just ask!  I did and even though I'm bruised from the biopsy they're nice to have.

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Momma2four, don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll be just as pissed off about something at every step of the way. One person's pain doesn't trump another's.

I'm having my Boob Voyage party tonight. Just me and my 20 closest girlfriends. Since I'm going to NOLA and it's Feb, we have a Mardi Gras theme. We have all kinds of fun silly stuff planned. I'll share some pictures after.

I'm definitely glad I did the photo shoot. I'm so happy with how the pictures turned out.

Thanks again for your support!

Eva 

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

HI Downney and Jeskatchi (or anyone else who knows)--

I missed the discussion about the tape...I had a horrible allergic experience right after surgery which lasted 3 days!  I was itching nonstop--everywhere.  

The tape on my chest was one of the worst areas, and after the itching died down I was left with welts there!  The first night I was in the hospital they changed me from morphine to something else, which didn't help...they gave me benedryl by IV and something else for itching but nothing helped...honestly, it was the worst part of the whole thing!  So if you might know what else it would be please let me know.  I can't repeat that experience for Stage 2!!

Many thanks! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

You might not need tape for stage 2 since you'll have a compression garment on. You can usually put ABD pads where you need them and they stay put.  After my first stage 2 they did use tape on my butt incisions, and it wasn't until I got to my hotel that I realized that's what was causing almost all of my pain.  Silly.  I know Dr. M tells people to avoid tape as much as possible.  But sometimes you just gotta use something.  Hypafix is great for me, I can have it on for days without a problem.  Sometimes the act of pulling it up irritates my skin a little, but there are ways around that too.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Mamma2Four - I track what I eat and how much I exercise on MyFitnessPal.com - it has really helped me! Just a hint. 

Nordy - If I remember correctly, not only did you come up with the "DOM" term, but also "ASSpirations"??? lol.

Cherrie, I added your surgery date with Dr. Marga to the list above!

Eva, I love the "boob voyage" theme party!! You are such a clever person! 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

was it Eve who came up with AsSets??

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Hmmmm. Yes, the Dom was me, but I believe the asspirations was Dejaboo! Not sure about ASSets! But also think it ws Eve.... Or Deja... Or maybe the two of them together!

Eva and Caitlin- thinking about the two of you getting ready for surgery this next week. I honestly believe that you are going to THE best place. Hugs!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012
    Here are some pictures from my Boob Voyage Party. It was EPIC. I have the most awesome friends. I think I'm ready to head to NOLA now. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2943429077460.134990.1613238858&type=1&l=4d5416c110
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2012

SurfaGrl, FORCE stands for Facing our Risk of Cancer Empowered and their web site is http://www.facingourrisk.org/. It's a great resource for those who have a BRCA gene mutation and/or high risk due to family history. Although I'm not BRCA+, FORCE is where I learned of Dr. DellaCroce back in 2007. No one on these forums was mentioning NOLA at the time.  After Dr. D did my first round of repairs, I started posting about the Center and was relieved when I finally found someone else here who'd had surgery in NOLA and could support what I was saying about how amazingly skilled our surgeons are....there were dozens of testimonials for them on the FORCE boards and if not for those women praising the care and beatiful reconstruction they'd received, I never would have found my way to NOLA.  FORCE has chapters all over the U.S. and beyond, and the L.A. group meets quarterly.

Best wishes to you, Eva and Caitlin!  I had to seek out the best in the world for my complications, and you are so blessed to go to them from the very start!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Eva, the pics are AMAZING.  Epic indeed.  You must be extraordinary to have such an extraordinary group of friends.  The painting had to be life changing.  The people around me had no idea how to respond to my diagnosis (at age 39).  Mostly sadness and pity, but with still with love.  I would have loved a boob voyage party (don't think I'd be brave enough for the painting, though!).  Now I know how to pass it on, if it comes to that.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

Eva.. your pictures are great.. I can't even imagine doing that... too reserved I guess...

• Adey
    edited February 2012

I can't get to the pictures.  Maybe Eva will be the one to finally make me join FB!  (c:

• Downey30
    edited February 2012

Djweinstein,  I too had an awful reaction to tape after my DMX.  At my first reconstruction I let them know but they taped me anyways.  Ended up at the Derm office being checked for Staph and MRSA.  It looked and felt horrible.  The next recon revision they were told again and taped my eyes.  When they pulled the tape off......my skin went with it.  UGG!!!  I am happy to know about this other type. 

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I thought the pictures were supposed to be viewable for everyone. Sorry! The painting was amazing. None of us had ever done anything like it and they all just totally got into it. I don't know if you can tell, but there are about a million sequins on top the paint. I'm going to be finding sequins for YEARS. It seems nervy I guess but it was awesome. I could feel the love in each stroke of the brush and I think they amazed themselves too. I'm a little hungover today, but still buzzing on the love.

• Adey
    edited February 2012

I take it your boobs were painted.  I did the same thing with my bald head!  (c:

• Adey
    edited February 2012
    This content is currently unavailable The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

The above is what I get when I click on your link?

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2943429077460.134990.1613238858&type=1&l=4d5416c110

I think this is the same link. FB tells me it's the link to publicly share the photos with friends.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I got painted from neck to toes.

• Adey
    edited February 2012

I want to see that!  I'll have one of my girls log on to FB and see if it helps.  (c:

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012
    Eva, the full body paint is amazing! Are you wearing it all the way to NOLA for the surgery?? :)

Here are the upcoming events ---

Feb 8 - CaitlinB - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA. 

Feb 8 - Eva M - Stage 1, Dr. Stollier and Dr. D., NOLA. 

Feb 10 - Fight-like-a-Girl - Pre-appointment with Dr. Marga, Salt Lake.

F

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Eva:  sounds like a fun party to me.  I couldnʻt see the pictures too but Iʻm sure it was memorable.

Need2New:  Iʻll PM you for more info. thank you.

Sandy:  Appreciate the information.  Iʻm beginning to educate myself here from reading everyoneʻs posts.

Eva and Caitlin:  Good luck to you both!  Youʻll be surgery buddies.  I think that is great because you can meet up before surgery, check in the same day, and walk around the halls together especially since you both are at Stage 1.