Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Katiejane - you are sooooooo lucky! I am super excited for you!

Eva & Caitlin - we are all thinking about you!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

KatieJane... http://www.scsh.com/

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2012

Nordy,  Thank you for all of your support!!  I hope your appointment w/ Dr.M.was as productive!! I sure enjoyed meeting you--you're a very special person-  Beautiful inside and out!!  Will you be in Nola in April? 

bdavis,  Thanks for the website-I will take a look!!

You know, cancer sucks but you ladies are the silver lining to this horrible cloud!!!  BIG HUGS!!!!

Katiejane

• jstunme
    jstunme Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2012

Re:  Eva  .... these are on her sister's FaceBk

Eva's surgery is done! Nine hours start to finish. The surgeon said it went perfectly with no complications. She is still in the operating room getting cleaned up and such, but the surgery is complete. She will be in recovery for a couple more hours before they bring her up to her room.

Eva is out of recovery and in her room. She is pretty out of it. Mostly sleeping. But all went well.

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2012
    Yaaaah Eva!  Smile
  • EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

Hi superhero girls.

My surgery went well. I've seen my breasts and they look good, though they're sporting Mardi Gras colors.

I've talked and texted wth Caitlin but I'll let her inform you. Her surgery was successful. 

Eva 

• jstunme
    jstunme Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2012

Great news Eva!  Take it easy and do what they tell ya.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited February 2012

Welcome back Eva.  (c:

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

Congrats to those that just had surgery!

Question for those of you post-drains...I just got them out...yey!!!! They are sort of out early on a technicality...as I had a little spot that looked like a possible infection...so I need to watch it.

Regardless, I have some itching around each former drain site where the skin is red.  Did others of you have this problem?  What did you do?

Thanks! 

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Yup.  I try not to scratch!  (c:  Mine is that healing itch one gets.  I don't have a rash, redness.  Even tho it kinda drives me crazy sometimes it is better than the drains I had for two months.  I will not scratch!  Take care and hopefully others will be more helpful.  (c:

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

You should ask the docs, but what I have done is...  keep it clean (i.e., Betadine) and dry and covered for the first couple of days, until it seals itself up. Then I use a single antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin) and cover with gauze.  Bacitracin is less irritating than Neosporin for me because it just has one ingredient in it vs. 3.  The ointment will keep the skin moist and help it heal.  I just waited a day or two because I didn't want the ointment to get inside the incision at all.

your mileage may vary :)

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

DJ - do you still have the neosporin? That would help the itching. I am jealous! My are still at 35 & 68 so keeping them a bit longer.

Eva - yes!!!! I knew you would love them even with the margi gras colors. I have the colors too. Take it easy and rest.

Katiejane - the center took care of all the insurance stuff for me. I have Multiplan like VictoriaB and had already hit my deductable and OOP for the year so this trip I had no $$. Stage 2 is another story as it is a new plan year so imagine will have to pay my $4500 OOP to do it. I always say other people take vacations, I pay medical bills! 

• Adey
    edited February 2012

I knew there'd be someone with better info than don't scratch.  (c:  Which I just did.  Couldn't help it!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I'm getting two units of blood a full day after surgery. I'm not sure why my PB dropped so much. Could it be the very juicy drains?

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

Eva - you are a red head :) We cringe when we see redheads in the OR as you tend to bleed more. It is a big surgery with lots of fluids going in & out. I was on the edge of blood with my H&H dropping and fluid overload but squeaked by. You will be amazed at how much better you feel after. Maybe we will rename you Juicy!

• Del11
    edited February 2012

I'm a redhead... I can attest to what n2n says :)  I got 2 units during my SGAP.

Also, whenever I give blood for samples or donation they always ask if I'm on blood thinners, after they see how it comes out. 

We also tend to run through anesthesia faster.  (I woke up with the tube in my throat after my first stage 1... nasty experience that)

• Adey
    edited February 2012

OMG jeskachi!  Ew.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2012

Eva, need2new is right-I work on an OB/GYN unit and our post partum redheads are the ones, if any, who will have a post partum hemorrhage!!!  We cringe as well!!!  Hope your recovery is smooth sailing!!!!!    katiejane

• Adey
    edited February 2012

I find this redhead thing fascinating.... Anyone know why?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

I am a blond and got got blood too for my DIEP (not my GAP though)

• Del11
    edited February 2012

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

http://blog.plasticsurgeryinflorida.com/2009/05/redheads-surgery.html

Back when I was a general surgery resident, one of the sayings passed down from our surgery professors was that "redheads were trouble", because they seemed to bleed a bit more than the average patient during a typical procedure. It was like a surgical superstition, a part of surgical lore that hadn't been proven scientifically, and yet was well known by all wise surgeons.

Researchers at the University of Louisville have published 3 separate studies on this topic. They've found that red-headed volunteers had:

1. Higher anesthesia requirements, requiring about 20% more inhaled anesthetic agent than brunettes to eliminate responses to noxious stimuli;

2. Higher resistance to lidocaine (a common numbing agent). Subcutaneous injection of lidocaine was less effective in redheads than brunettes, and the redheads were more sensitive to painful hot and cold stimuli.

3. More self-reported bruising after surgery or injury, even though all the usual lab tests for coagulation and platelet function were within the normal range.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited February 2012

DJ - Just my experience but if you use neosporin pay attention to the skin it is put on.  I developed an allergy to it after my surgery (ended up with itching and then a poison ivy type red rash- contact dermatitis).  When I talked to the Center I was told it is very common with repeated use.  They asked me to do a skin test - to put it on the thin skin of my inner arm (I used the bend in my arm) for a few days - after two or 3 days it was clear I was allergic to the stuff.  Bacitracin or something that doesn't contain the neomycin (spelling?) is what I need to use in the future. 

Jeskachi -I might be wrong but from what I have read I don't think they will extubate anyone unless they will open their eyes and are able to follow commands.  I thought we were all awake (possibly sleepy?) but almost everyone has amnesia during that time so we don't remember.   Is this correct?

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Oh boy, lucky me!

I'm a little ways through my second unit of blood but out of the bed and sitting in a recliner for the first time post-op. It was scary getting up. I was afraid I was going to come apart. But I managed it and now I'm fine sitting. Oh no. They're going to make me walk the plank (they call it a hall, but they can't fool me). So I'll try to stop by Caitlyn's room. She's right next door. I'm in 206 and she's in 204

• Adey
    edited February 2012

Ha!  Don't worry you won't fall off just go in circles.  Walk safe.  (c:

Thanks jeskachi!

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2012

I had no idea there was such a thing about redheads and bleeding, but I am a redhead and got two units of blood the day after my hip flap recon and mastectomy, and then two more units several hours later.  I did feel much better after the transfusions.  My husband said I was positively grey until I got the blood. I also bled a lot after giving birth the firs time, and I recall my certified nurse midwife saying "I should have know not to trust a redhead!"

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Nice to see you here Eva! Our love to you and Caitlin! 

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Thank you for all the kind wishes
    Making sure I won't swim with the fishes
    My grin is so wide
    There's a sunnier side
    For six weeks I don't have to wash dishes

Or is that a year? Where's the rule book? 

• Adey
    edited February 2012
    "Swim with the fishes" you entertain me!  Thanks.  I want to write one of those.  It would probably take a few months tho' and suck.  Tongue out
  • EvaM
    edited February 2012

Go ahead, Adey. You know you want to...

Is it normal for my breasts to feel hot one day after? 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Yay for redheads!  My natural redness is gone (I think; my new chemo hair is taupe!), but I had auburn hair until recently (as in mid-30s), clearly red when I was a very little girl.  My daughter is a strawberry blond!  I didn't need a transfusion, though.  I almost hemorrhaged after my second daughter (nurse didn't tell me she was scared until I was good the next morning!).  I also recall a lot of extra shots at the dentist, and hearing how redheads feel more pain during dental work.

Eva, you are rockin!  Hot breasts are better than cold.  I recall the temp varying.  I kept checking to feel if they were cold!  Even though they were checked soo often.  I passed out getting back into bed after the first time I got out.  I thought I did great and my husband laughed; I hadn't realized I passed out just as I was getting back into bed.  I was on top of one nurse (I guess she ended up sort of under me as she held me and manuvered me into the bed) and 2 others came in to get her out and get me settled.  Oh, our wonderful nurses!!