Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

I'm pretty sure I surprised them when I woke up with the tube. I was barely in the recovery area, and the anesthesiologist was talking to the nurses and they didn't notice I was awake until I started moving my head back and forth, trying to clear my throat. I even remember that I was dreaming about choking when it happened. After all my other surgeries I don't remember anything before getting to my room. In their defense it was a very long surgery. But my throat got bruised from me moving around and I couldn't swallow solid food for more than a week.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012

LOL. That's a hilarious story now, though I'm sure it wasn't at the time.

I've had dinner sitting in the recliner in the room and am just back from a shuffle around the halls. That was as much as I could manage. I wanted to stop at Cailin's room, but her door was closed and I wasn't quite up to it. I'm back in the chair now and have no idea how I'm going to get back in bed without passing out. Everything hurts. I know it will get better soon, but this is a real challenge!

I was texting a friend to tell her I had "hip flaps put in me" but autocorrect changed it to "hip flaps in Nepal." WTF?

Another instance yesterday, I typed Dellaudid (which I'm sure I mispelled anyway) but autocorrect changed it to 'deluded.' You thinkk it's trying to tell me something?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

LOL Eva, you have such a fun spirit. the "Nepal" autocorrect cracked me up! 

I personally like Dilaudid. I have issues with anti-nausea medicines, especially the scopalamine patch (I get horrible vertigo for days!! It's apparently a known reaction...). I then seemed to start getting the same reaction from other anti-nausea surgery meds - all the IV ones. But Dr. Tre-eye (not sure now to spell his name) in NOLA tried Dilaudid. No spinning!  And you're right Eva, it's an easy name to remember because it sounds "deluded" LOL....

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited February 2012

Yeah Eva! So glad to see your wonderful posts.  Hang in there - every single day gets better (actually every single hour at the point you are now)! Every time you get up it is easier than the last.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2012

Eva,  you are such an inspiration to all of us coming up behind you.  I'm so happy the surgery is over for you and I know each day will better.  Keep us all laughing!. 

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Yeah Eva and Caitlin...whoo hoo! 

RE:  needed units of blood.  I had to have 3 the first surgery and then 2 when i went back in for my complication...I am a dark blond/light brown...just saying.

Anyway,,,soooo glad to hear Eva  and Caitlin are out and good!!!!!  YEAH!!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited February 2012

Jeskachi- If you were in recovery and not in the O.R it  sounds like you talking about the "oral airway" - My understanding is that they use an oral airway and additional tubing in the O.R. to administer anesthesia -  They removed most of the tubing in the O.R. (extubate you) but leave the oral airway in place- the oral airway is then removed in the PACU.  I had a number of surgeries locally before coming to NOLA.  When I read my hospital records for one of those surgeries  it stated that I removed the oral airway myself while I was being moved to the PACU.  The nurses at NOLA told me that was not a big deal.  I remember none of it - but apparently it happened.  For my stage 2 surgery at NOLA the nurse in the PACU told me that they had asked me  earlier (just after I had arrived in the PACU) if they could removed the oral airway (I assume this was just to give me a sense of control)- she said I was sleepy at the time but awake enought for me to  indicate that I wanted them to remove it.  I wrote notes to myself on a pad of paper while I was in the PACU and when I read them over later- I wrote about the nurse removing my oral airway among other things.  (I only have a memory of the last maybe 1/2 hour or the PACU - but I was writing for almost the whole time I was there.)

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2012

Well, whatever the reason, it was unpleasant. Out of 7 surgeries it's only happened once, and I hope it never happens again.

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012

Thank you all for the responses!  I never knew that about the neosporin...I'm going to try that patch!  Thanks so much!!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I just had a little visit in Caitlin's room. She there with her parents and husband and seems to be coping all right. She's a doll. She said she'd get on her husband's laptop later and post something here. I had a very rough night. The narcotic drugs make me very nauseus, so I was miserable with that and pain. But it's a little better now. I've done about four laps around the halls. But even so, it seems impossible that I will be leaving the hospital tomorrow! Here I press a button and a nurse magically appears. 

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2012

Hi Ladies,

I have good news and bad news about my surgery. The good news is that my surgery went well and I have beautiful breasts.  The bad news is that they found breast cancer in my sentinal node; they took out three others to test those as well. Now I will need to have chemo.  According to the doctor chemo can affect fertility so I am pretty bummed out. 

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers....keep praying: I get my results next week 

It was also awesome to meet Eva!  We will forever be surgery sisters!

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, my surgery sister, you're such a trouper. My husband and I have been thinking about you since we found out about the nodes. It was great to meet you and your husband and parents. It looks life you have a lot of great support around you. I'm sweating my pathology report Thursday. Fingers crossed. Warmest wishes to you and your family.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2012

Caitlin,  I will keep praying.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  Peace to you.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, it is true that chemo can affect fertility, but many women manage to get pregnant after chemo... And I am one of them. How old are you? The younger you are the better your chances of resuming normal cycles. I was in the middle- 37 when I went through all this and my periods came back after 16 rounds of chemo. Hang in there. Chemo is not all that fun but doable. Sending you lots of hugs.

And congrats to both you and Eva on successful surgeries!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

So sorry Caitlin... I too had a positive node, just one micromet in my SN... they did not go take any more nodes, but I did get 6 rounds of chemo. I worked fulltime and had few side effects, just one or two bad days per cycle. Hey... at least you have great breasts, right?? And lucky to have found it, yes? Things will look up from here!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Caitlin...i am sorry to hear about the node.  I know when i found out i had breast cancer i felt like i could deal with it but then later that week we found out that i needed chemo and i took that a lot worse.  I was diagnosed at 32, 8 weeks after my 2nd child was born.  I had 6 months of chemo and went on to have 2 more children:)  So yes it is possible!  Also, my chemo buddy had 3 after!!!  I do know a lot of women freeze their eggs or whatever it is called so think about that too.  Hugs to you and Eva and enjoy your awesome ta ta's!!!

• JustLaura
    edited February 2012

Yeah Caitlin - so glad to hear you love your breasts!! I'm very sorry to hear of the nodes though and the chemo. But after hearing from the other women on this board that have been there maybe it won't be as bad as you are thinking?? I hope not. There seem to be a lot of options for you. Try to enjoy the pampering in the hospital while you have it!!

• JustLaura
    edited February 2012

Eva - I don't think I did 4 laps around that hospital until the day I left (and I stayed an extra night) so WAY TO GO!  Enjoy every minute while you are there - it is such a nice 'cocoon' there at SCSH.

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

The laps weren't all at one time, so don't give me too much credit. Next milestone: Shower. I know it will be great to get clean but I'm kind of nervous about it too. One thing that's odd is that I am not getting strong signals about having to pee. Like my bladder is numb or something. I just have to make a point to go periodically whether I feel like it or not. 

One very cool thing, the Mardi Gras parades start tonight and they right past the hospital. The window facing onto St. Charles is just a few steps from my room. It's raining, but I don't think it will dampen spirits much. Maybe I should show them my tits - they're Mardi Gras colors...

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I'm in NOLA for Mardi Gras
    No longer in need of a bra
    Boobs a sight to behold
    Purple, green and gold
    They'll throw beads and holler hurrah

• Nordy
    edited February 2012

I forgot to add a link for Caitlin: www.fertilehope.org

I think they have quite a bit of info and many women do freeze their eggs. I did not have the time to do that as I also had a newborn and was starting chemo right away. You may have time... Plus when you meet with your medical oncologist let him/her know that is one of your big concerns. Different chemos affect fertility differently. Lots of hugs.

Eva - you are so creative! Enjoy your shower!

• Nordy
    edited February 2012

Fight like a girl - I hope your appt goes well today!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2012

Caitlin,  I can't tell you much about the fertility side of things but I will say that I pretty much sailed through chemo.  Extra naps.....no nausea....good apetitie.  They have great drugs for coping now.  God Bless and stay strong.  Glad you like your "new ones".

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2012

Caitlin:  I am sorry to hear the news but there seem to be options for you and I am glad.  

Eva:  Keep up the humuous spirit, it is good medicine.  I could walk only one lap before I left the hospital after Stage 1.  Purple, green, and gold, that's so funny!   

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2012

Caitlin,

I read your post and am so sorry you have to move forward with chemo.

That said there are many here who have done it and are surviving and thriving. I'm 7 and 2 months out from a Stage 2B diagnosis .

While I instantly went into permanent menopause I know that's not the case with the younger ladies! Nordys recommendation of Fertile Hope is excellent as well as this one...

http://savemyfertility.org/fact-sheets/preserving-fertility

The Lance Armstrong foundation also is a good resource for fertility preservation.

I'll provide another link as soon as I can find it.
    Found it...
    http://www.livestrong.org/Get-Help/Learn-About-Cancer/Cancer-Support-Topics/Physical-Effects-of-Cancer/Female-Infertility

Heal well from surgery and well get u to the other side of chemo,

Warmly and with compassion,

Marcia

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Way to go, Eva.  It's nice you get to watch the parades at SCSH.

Caitlin, my sential node was positive, too.  Mine was a shock, as the cancer that was initially found is not invasive types. 

Hearing I had to have chemo (because of the stupid hidden tumor, not found in MRI or ultrasound, much less mammogram) was like getting a brand new cancer diagnosis.  But I pursued on, just as we all do here.  My chemo was rough, but do-able.  It's different for everyone, and there are many different chemo plans.  My MO hit me hard because 39 is still young.  I started chemo exactly 4 weeks after surgery.  I did not need radiation.  I was pretty emphatic that I didn't want radiation with my clear margins and BMX, so my RO was very thorough about going through all of my 'grey area' variables.  I was not worried about my fertility, so I can't give feedback on that.  You are in my prayers.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2012

Caitlin - cancer just sucks and I am sorry you have the node involvement. I will keep good thoughts as you make your way through this. You will triumph no matter what you do to get there. 

Eva - You will be dancing on your table again soon! I flashed myself today :) Met with another sister heading to NOLA at the end of the month and showed her my girls!!

Thanks to all of you ladies for your unending supply of wisdom and laughter.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Caitlin, I am so glad to hear from you! Glad you love the boobs, and hang in there about the nodes. Maybe you'll just have a micro-met and it will just be in that one node. But Nordy is right. And Betsy. It's not a fun time but it is doable. I worked through Chemo full time and even got good performace reviews! And Nordy is a role model for getting pregnant! She has the most beautiful kids, an inspiration! 

You are not alone!

Eva  - I am sorry for the drug woes! I hope they find something that will help. DO NOT take out the wires for teh ON-Q pain balls until they are all used up. They will stop looking round and start looking elongated and thinner. CUT the compression before you remove those things. Esp if you are having pain issues. I took mine out way too soon, didn't want to mess up the compression thing. (Maybe they don't do compression any more after stage 2?) Also, Eva, you can stay an extra day or two if you don't feel you can leave. Just TELL THEM what you need.  They will help. 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2012

Let me just say that need2new's girls are as nice as her "picture"!!!  And she is getting around really well.  Wow.  I am impressed! I hope I am as resilient.  

Need2new, it was so wonderful of you to spend time with me.   THANK YOU.   I feel excited about the physical outcome and hope all is clear for me.  Still praying extra much for you gals with a cancer dx.  

• EvaM
    edited February 2012

I think I overdid it yesterday. I was so relieved not to be feeling nauseus and it felt so good to get out of this bed that I just didnt want to get back in it. So I ended up doing about 8 laps of the halls, sitting up in chairs and then standing for an hour to watch the parade. I paid for it last night though. Ugh. Still, I don't think I hurt myself. I just feel crappy. I had my shower yesterday afternoon too and it was lovely. I put on silky pjs and I highly recommend them to anyone who has surgery coming up. One of the things that was making me miserable in bed was the difficulty of adjusting my position. The silky fabric makes it much easier to slide around. 

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'm going to ask to stay an extra night. My husband is going home tomorrow and my sister is arriving today and I think SHE'LL need a little time to learn how to help with the drains and garments, etc.